Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lightpole posted:

You should probably read up on the US merchant marine.

That reminds me of the time my dad told me a story about being at some place with his father circa 1960ish and a marine wwii vet telling my grandfather, in USAF uniform, that he wasn’t a “real” veteran and then doubled down after my grandfather said he was a glider pilot in Europe.

edit: grandpa would’ve been active duty at the time so I guess “real soldier” but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
People just want to gatekeep.

Edit: half the fun of being in your own little club is telling others they don't make the cut for X obscure reason.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 9, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Campaign medal is for service in theater, not direct combat. There are a lot of other awards for that and a whole bunch of sour britches from CABs handed out in Iraq and Afghanistan a decade ago.

I just learned I'm getting both OIR and Afghanistan campaign medals for... flying in vaguely the same geographical area as those places. A few times we even flew close enough to see land! I'm glad this proves to the VFW how combat experienced I am.

Naturally the time we spent evacuating Somalia, which was way more along the lines of actual combat missions than anything else we did, counts for nothing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I knew a major on deployment that I'd see monthly when he picked up or dropped off his truck. They (his E4/5 in tow) were based in Kuwait and flew into Iraq for 2-4 days a month for reasons that allowed them to be eligible for the campaign medal. They'd fly into Balad, drive around base for a few days, then fly back to kuwait for 3.5 weeks.

He was in supply somewhere and could always make poo poo magically appear for us, so we took care of his truck in turn for monthly Santa visits.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Wonder if my ANG buddies who deployed to Djibouti are considered GWOT vets according to the VFW.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think it's OCONUS service now so Germany, Japan, Korea, etc.

E: their website has some expired poo poo but here's the relevant part from their own broke cookie batch

quote:

3: Service in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters*. This can be proven by any of the following:

- An authorized campaign medal (see a full list of qualifying medals and badges)
- Receipt of Hostile Fire Pay or Imminent Danger Pay (verified by a military pay statement)
- Service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days

*This information is usually available through a veteran’s DD-214. If other information is needed or if a veteran’s DD-214 is not complete, they can contact the National Personnel Records Center online or at 314.801.0800 to request more information.

http://www.vfw.org/join/eligibility

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 9, 2021

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

Edit: half the fun of being in your own little club is telling others they don't make the cut for X obscure reason.

merchant marines from ww2 is a completely different situation from being in the merchant marines during the wars in iraq/afghanistan unless Iraq has a submarine fleet conducting unrestricted warfare that I didn't know anything about

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Like I'm not sure what you've done that makes you think you should qualify for belonging in a community for vets that fought overseas.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

PookBear posted:

Like I'm not sure what you've done that makes you think you should qualify for belonging in a community for vets that fought overseas.

Again, my GWOT Expeditionary Medal from Kuwait qualifies. :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/0aYhB8S.mp4

🔊

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
lol my man if you want to join the VFW so bad just get an MOS that will deploy you overseas in support of ongoing operations

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The American Legion and VFW suck, I don't see why you'd join them at this point TBH.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

PookBear posted:

I've never claimed this? There's a line somewhere in the Persian gulf but that place is hot and I'm not bothering. WWII USMM were what I was talking about and are still excluded. I have no reason or desire.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

So this is blowing up: (Carl Bildt, former PM, and former minister for foreign affairs of Sweden)
April 9th is also the anniversary of Nazi-Germany invading Denmark and Norway (and Vidkun Quisling seizing power in Norway).
https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1380469886007316484?s=20

He is also taking shots at the Finns in the comments.

In case he deletes it:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stultus Maximus posted:

They limit it to combat veterans only?

if you have an expeditionary medal you qualify. so anyone who was on a sub and went on a westpac or whatever the east coast ones are can get in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PookBear posted:

merchant marines from ww2 is a completely different situation from being in the merchant marines during the wars in iraq/afghanistan unless Iraq has a submarine fleet conducting unrestricted warfare that I didn't know anything about

Pretty sure that was in Colin Powell's briefing to the UN.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Stellar Curiosity posted:

So this is blowing up: (Carl Bildt, former PM, and former minister for foreign affairs of Sweden)
April 9th is also the anniversary of Nazi-Germany invading Denmark and Norway (and Vidkun Quisling seizing power in Norway).

In case he deletes it:

Must be nice being in a country where you and your neighbors have their poo poo together enough that this is what time can be put towards

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

lol my man if you want to join the VFW so bad just get an MOS that will deploy you overseas in support of ongoing operations

Just join the masons and have better social connects.

Or do the masons not exist in the form I remember.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Masons, Elks, Caribou, Knights of Columbus if that's your thing.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This is the masons now. Internet foundation right here *pats thread*

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I was a mason and all I got was a secret handshake, an apron, and a bunch of volunteer hours at the local food bank. My lodge was mostly geriatric dudes hiding from their wives on a Wednesday night.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My former father-in-law was/is a mason. And he wondered why I wanted nothing to do with them. Not trying to stand around a night a week in service to the old guy who owns the dry cleaners.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

lightpole posted:

From my experiences, years ago being an OEF vet was looked down on by OIF vets. This is mostly why I don't talk to most vets, even though I don't think it's like this anymore. Everyone just wants to feel special I guess.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm pretty entertained that pook comes along and pulls a VFW and completely misses the joke.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs...ingawful.com%2F

Pretty sure it's larger than any of trumps DoD budgets but sure okay

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

2021: the acceleration is negative!
2022: the snap is negative!!
2023: the crack is negative!!!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hot Karl Marx posted:

DoD number only go up

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hot Karl Marx posted:

It's making everyone mad because it's a cut in the growth increase and he wants to kill off the OCO slush fund. Meanwhile, it's not a full-blown cut to the base defense budget.

It at least will be entertaining as to what comes out of Congress.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

I've never claimed this? There's a line somewhere in the Persian gulf but that place is hot and I'm not bothering. WWII USMM were what I was talking about and are still excluded. I have no reason or desire.

you never once said anything about ww2 lol

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

He was in supply somewhere and could always make poo poo magically appear for us, so we took care of his truck in turn for monthly Santa visits.

The magic is knowing a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy and always treating those people well. Seeing what kind of crazy poo poo you can get for people was the most fun part of having a logistics job.

I'm most proud of getting a bus in less than an hour (you usually have to request them 30+ days out) and using it to get our BN's Soldiers a break from the field during several back to back training exercises.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
lol imagine never serving overseas :gary: :gary:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Stellar Curiosity posted:

In case he deletes it:

Why would Germany have invaded Sweden? They were already getting iron ore imports, allowed to move troops through Swedish territory, and Allied occupation of Sweden wasn't likely. Especially after Barbarossa I don't think Germany was eager to start another front with a peaceful trading partner.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

maybe they meant russia? idk, it doesn't make sense to me either

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I think it's OCONUS service now so Germany, Japan, Korea, etc.

E: their website has some expired poo poo but here's the relevant part from their own broke cookie batch

http://www.vfw.org/join/eligibility

Sweet I got a week or two of imminent danger pay. Skate on through.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

lightpole posted:

You should probably read up on the US merchant marine.

The WWII museum in New Orleans had an amazing merchant marine exhibit when I was there a few years ago.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That'll have to go on the list if and when I ever make it back to the states.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

if you have an expeditionary medal you qualify. so anyone who was on a sub and went on a westpac or whatever the east coast ones are can get in.

My comment was in response to pook saying that it's only for people who fought.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Any “club” that is catered towards military people is probably not worth visiting.

Just look at gip.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

boop the snoot posted:

Any “club” that is catered towards military people is probably not worth visiting.

Just look at gip.

And yet here we all are.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

VFWs at Osan and Humphreys are pretty chill. Somehow still cheapest places to get beer and also not considered bars so they haven't been shut down due to COVID. My 11+ years of Korea time get me a cool hat.

nullscan fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hekk posted:

And yet here we all are.

And I think we’re done talking about the VFW.