Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's a common recurrence in a lot of speculative fiction where the writers understand Liberalism just isn't going to work and is responsible for the Space, Elf, or Space-Elf Fascists gaining traction, but because we've all been indoctrinated to reject anything left-wing out of hand, all the story can do is shrug its shoulders and embrace this kind of nihilism about what to do about it. Like UC Gundam can never really have a protagonist who's part of a Left-Wing movement that wants to overthrow both the Federation and the current iteration of Neo-Neo-Neo Zeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

galagazombie posted:

It's a common recurrence in a lot of speculative fiction where the writers understand Liberalism just isn't going to work and is responsible for the Space, Elf, or Space-Elf Fascists gaining traction, but because we've all been indoctrinated to reject anything left-wing out of hand, all the story can do is shrug its shoulders and embrace this kind of nihilism about what to do about it. Like UC Gundam can never really have a protagonist who's part of a Left-Wing movement that wants to overthrow both the Federation and the current iteration of Neo-Neo-Neo Zeon.

and if it did, they'd be a villain with blonde hair and a mask of some kind to be beaten by the end

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
need to write the Gundam where there is a true revolutionary faction, like from the perspective of the actual grunts on the ground.

The Gundam itself would be the antagonist, its seemingly overwhelming power and terrifying visage would truly earn it the moniker of “The White Devil.”

Anyway at the end it’s blown up by some poor rear end in a top hat with a man portable Surface to Air missile.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
hmm, some kind of Devil Gundam, you say?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

net work error posted:

They made a public private partnership between the gadoll and the tankers

working together in unison after destroying the world order of a giant corporation controlling everyone for it's own inhuman ends: public private partnership

Gripweed posted:

I think the main thing would be that you don't want a blend that gets soggy at radically different rates.

fruity pebbles and cocoa pebbles :sickos:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Trump in anime is always funny. They always make him out to be a selfish oaf, but they just cant really plug in to the sheer spectacle of Trump

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

In case it wasn't clear from my previous deca dance post: it was a joke

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
I didn’t like Deca Dence enough to watch it for more than a few episodes but I will say to anyone who might be interested based on the discussion here: you absolutely have to watch the entire first episode and maybe 5/10 minutes into the second before deciding if you want to continue it or not. Minor spoilers for the first 5 minutes of the second episode: It’s hard to say it’s a twist when it’s in the second episode, but the start of the second episode basically has a plot twist that drastically changes what the show is really about.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Why watch the anime when there's a live action version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew1-icAYM7I

This looks good but the anime has a dub and I was tired and didn’t want to read

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

and if it did, they'd be a villain with blonde hair and a mask of some kind to be beaten by the end

Has a Gundam AU ever done an evil Communist Char-Clone? Most of the time they're just on a gradient between aristocratic and Fascist. Though Rau was kinda the unintended embodiment of what I was talking about with Nihilism being the only choice when Left-wing alternatives aren't allowed.

tokin opposition posted:

working together in unison after destroying the world order of a giant corporation controlling everyone for it's own inhuman ends: public private partnership

At the End of Deca-Dence Not only is Humanity still a VR game for corporate wage slaves on a ruined earth, The exact same people are still in charge. They blew up a big monster and this apparently convinced the Spirit of Capitalism or whatever to make the game Farmville instead of Monster Hunter. They still live under the same system. It's peak NeoLiberal "Surely Capitalism will be fine if we're all polite about it."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tomino doesn't put communism in gundam because he doesn't want to get stabbed

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hw0bUwh4-M

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Whelp just started season two of Gundam 00 and its entertaining, but this show really is just starting to poo poo itself. Beerfesting a character back to life has got to be the dumbest plot point in any Gundam series. Should have just made Sanji Crossroads the new sniper. Also Hulu doesn’t translate the location names or on screen text in the sub or dub. Usually you can figure it out based on context, but not always.

Pulcinella has issued a correction as of 07:43 on Apr 10, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is a great crime that hobo exia was only in one episode of s2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/Rohtke/status/1380885375904854017?s=20

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is a great crime that hobo exia was only in one episode of s2.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pulcinella posted:

Whelp just started season two of Gundam 00 and its entertaining, but this show really is just starting to poo poo itself. Beerfesting a character back to life has got to be the dumbest plot point in any Gundam series. Should have just made Sanji Crossroads the new sniper. Also Hulu doesn’t translate the location names or on screen text in the sub or dub. Usually you can figure it out based on context, but not always.
i'm giving you permission to stop and just pretend that 00 only had 1 season

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

hey at least it's not seed destiny

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Supposedly 00 season 1 got a lot of flak in Japan for being "Not My Gundam". I wouldn't be surprised if the execs told the writers to course correct hard and thats why season 2 has much more traditional looking gundams, replaces all the political stuff from the first season with black&white superheroics, and inserts all the standard Gundam cliches that season 1 had purposefully avoided like having a Char.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Code Geass suffered from the same thing.

Splitting the show into two parts and alternating the airing of Code Geass and Gundam 00 just ensured that both shows were incoherent and hosed up in some way.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

00 already started to come apart when they introduced the evil gundams. And it was never all that coherent to begin with.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Supposedly 00 season 1 got a lot of flak in Japan for being "Not My Gundam". I wouldn't be surprised if the execs told the writers to course correct hard and thats why season 2 has much more traditional looking gundams, replaces all the political stuff from the first season with black&white superheroics, and inserts all the standard Gundam cliches that season 1 had purposefully avoided like having a Char.

famously apolitical series gundam 0079

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/ANN_Lynzee/status/1381087336583241728

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

Code Geass suffered from the same thing.

Splitting the show into two parts and alternating the airing of Code Geass and Gundam 00 just ensured that both shows were incoherent and hosed up in some way.

Code Geass was never good.

Cool soundtrack though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Counterpoint: Code geass was good

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

lol no it was trash.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Early Geass is fun but trashy, "of its era". Late Geass is moronic.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Code Geass is dumb as poo poo and that's why it owns.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

happy to report that one piece gets good around volume 16 so you only need to read 3000 pages to get there

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

pray for my aunt posted:

Early Geass is fun but trashy, "of its era". Late Geass is moronic.

late geass i couldn't keep track of what was happening or who was on which side or why

i actually liked the ending though. everything else about s2 was dogshit much like death note

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Maya Fey posted:

happy to report that one piece gets good around volume 16 so you only need to read 3000 pages to get there

very wrong. it’s good from the start and then gets great around volume 6 or 7.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Ringo Roadagain posted:

very wrong. it’s good from the start and then gets great around volume 6 or 7.

i was mostly bored all the way to alabasta with a couple exceptions like arlong park. now it's really good though

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
drat this thread.

I'm staying away for a while because I just finished s1 of geass and I think its loving awesome. about 5 eps into s2 it is a bit more confusing but hopefully I don't end up as negative as you guys. the funny thing is after geass I'm planning to finally watch AoT, which everyone was also talking about / spoiling right before. It's like this thread is responding directly to what I'm watching (and calling it dumb as poo poo)

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Mirello posted:

drat this thread.

I'm staying away for a while because I just finished s1 of geass and I think its loving awesome. about 5 eps into s2 it is a bit more confusing but hopefully I don't end up as negative as you guys. the funny thing is after geass I'm planning to finally watch AoT, which everyone was also talking about / spoiling right before. It's like this thread is responding directly to what I'm watching (and calling it dumb as poo poo)

i love that the whole series could have ended near the end of s1 but doesn't because of a complete accident which causes the princess to massacre people with assault weapons

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yossarian-22 posted:

i love that the whole series could have ended near the end of s1 but doesn't because of a complete accident which causes the princess to massacre people with assault weapons

This was the part that really took it from great to amazing for me lol. they foreshadowed it pretty well, and I knew Euphemia was a bit too happy to continue doing her thing. Then again, I love it when crazy poo poo happens.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Good points in this post.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it couldn't have ended there because lelouch's terrible parents were still doing their thing regardless of any reforms in japan.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
S2 of geass is confusing and grimdark, but the ending is great. I never got into Gundam, but the over the top magnificent bastard stuff of Code Geass appealed to teenage me.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

It was a nifty one tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Well, state controlled raises another question, which is who controls the state, and even in Zeonic’s case it’s definitely not a worker’s state.

I assume it's organized along the lines of reichswerke, a state owned conglomerate that exists to manufacture military equipment while enriching zeon's industrialists