Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

aw jeez

A brother of one of my ancestors went to sea and died in Singapore 1842. In the burial record, it said that he was mustered on a British ship. I recently discovered which Danish ship he was on when he went out, so I've been searching for some time for any information on when/how he changed from the Danish to the British ship, but was unable to find anything (including paying a British researcher 25 quid for an hour's lookups at the British National Archives in Kew).

So I was organizing my notes last night, and now I see that the entry above my guy in the Singapore burial register is a British sailor, who is said to be from the very Danish ship that my guy was from! Evidently, the rev. Panting in Singapore mixed up his notes...

Lesson: Remember to go back and check your sources once in a while. New information may have come to light that puts them in a new perspective!

Also, while tracking the ship's travels (The Asiatic Journal and Singapore Free Press have been very useful), I saw that the ship had at one point been by Batavia (Jakarta). There was a contemporary local Dutch newspaper Javasche Courant, which can be browsed at Europeana, but there's no text search there — but newspaperarchive.com has that paper, so I was able to use their search to see which issue of the Courant mentions my ship, and then read the paper at Europeana :hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I did some ancestor sleuthing a year ago and have recently gotten back into it. I'm only focused on my mother's side of the family since I know there has already been made a thorough genealogy on my father's side.

So far I have managed to go all the way back to my 5th(?) great grandfather who died back in 1782, and the most remarkable thing I can say about that side of my family so far is that they didn't travel far. 5th great grandparent lived and died 40ish kilometers from where I was born, and going on step forward to 4th great grand parent everyone in the direct line have pretty much been born less than 20km from me.
I have a pretty good overview of my family back to my grandfather's generation. He had two siblings whose offspring I still have regular contact with. Going back two generations to my 2nd great grandfather and things start to become a bit muddied. He had 7 siblings, of whom I know at least one had children too. That is the next branch of the family I plan to look at, though I don't know if I should get in touch with any living relatives if I find them.

I tried googling 5th GG and found that someone has made a very thorough genealogy over his offspring, except they overlooked the one son that my family has branched off of. I think I will get in touch with him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

To be fair, like 99% of my ancestors didn't move far until 1 or 2 generations ago either. I've actually traced one line in my hometown back to the 1610s. Same little town for 400 years & then I moved out lol

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

See, this is why almost no one in Europe cares about their drat family tree or genealogy in general.

Meanwhile I’m over here trying to connect the American, Canadian, and Australian branches of my patronymic line, trying to place where in Scotland my Irish originally hailed from, and figure out which of my three German lines all these Kraut cousins from South Africa are on.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
It's also kind of funny how you can end up back where people were. One of my paternal lines had folks who settled where I grew up when they came to America, pre revolution, but then their descendants in my line moved away. Some one or two counties over, some across the border in another state. Two hundred plus years later, a few months after I'm born, my parents decide to move to this city. Dad had no idea until my sister and I were looking into our genealogy that he had ancestors who'd lived there; he thought everyone was from where he was born or further downstate.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oracle posted:

See, this is why almost no one in Europe cares about their drat family tree or genealogy in general.

Meanwhile I’m over here trying to connect the American, Canadian, and Australian branches of my patronymic line, trying to place where in Scotland my Irish originally hailed from, and figure out which of my three German lines all these Kraut cousins from South Africa are on.

Hey now, I'm not all Danish! I'm 1/4 Faroese, a little over 3/64 Swedish, 1/64 Holsteiner, a little over 1/256 Norwegian, 1/256 Alsatian, and 1/1024 Dutch (or Sephardi?)

Most of the ones that moved around are on side branches, like my guy in Singapore. On that line there's also a guy in South Africa & one in Australia.

Emily Spinach posted:

It's also kind of funny how you can end up back where people were. One of my paternal lines had folks who settled where I grew up when they came to America, pre revolution, but then their descendants in my line moved away. Some one or two counties over, some across the border in another state. Two hundred plus years later, a few months after I'm born, my parents decide to move to this city. Dad had no idea until my sister and I were looking into our genealogy that he had ancestors who'd lived there; he thought everyone was from where he was born or further downstate.

Oh yeah, there's a guy on my paternal grandfather's line who lived right next to a guy from my maternal grandmother's line in the early 1700s. So they probably saw each other on the street from time to time, and then like 250 years later, their descendants marry in an entirely different town, having gotten there through very different paths.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 4, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oracle posted:

I got my dad into genealogy after I bought him a 23andMe kit for his birthday. It turns out that all of my ancestors, going back centuries and centuries, were from the same small area of West Flanders.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

On the plus side, that precludes the Habsburgs

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

And speaking of DNA tests, Ancestry's doing its 59$ St. Patrick's Day special again until March 17th.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

On the plus side, that precludes the Habsburgs

That's actually an interesting point to mention. By the late Middle Ages, the nobility and a few fringe areas were the only hold-outs against the Western world's extreme incest taboos, which had mostly been imposed by the Church for its own reasons. Even though all of my ancestors came from the same small area around the same minor city (albeit located in one of the most urbanized regions of Europe at the time), they are all unique entries, that is to say not a single person has been found to simultaneously be in multiple positions in the family tree so far, which is something you might expect even simply through statistical chance.

A really interesting book about this that I read recently is The WEIRDest People in the World by Joseph Henrich. It documents how tribal and kin-based institutions in Western Europe were gradually dismantled throughout the Middle Ages, through a package of customs such as enforced monogamy and far-reaching incest taboos, leading to the rise of voluntary associations such as guilds and religious orders, and also highly peculiar demographic patterns such as a relatively high marriage age (and a correspondingly low fertility), a certain percentage of women never getting married at all, and marriage increasingly being seen as a union of two individuals (who have to give their consent) rather than of two families. Highly recommended, as well as his earlier book The Secret of Our Success: How Culture is Driving Human Evolution, Domesticating our Species, and Making us Smarter, which is about the cumulative effects of culture.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well now. Irish records on MyHeritage will be free to access from March 11-18th.

https://www.myheritage.com/irish-records

Also FTDNA jumping on the pandering to paddies bandwagon and having their family finder test for sale at 59 dollars until March 17th.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 10, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

welp

I mentioned the big population project we're doing here a while ago. So recently we had a little workgroup to look into possible models for user contributions, and I was invited to do a little presentation on gedcom pros/cons etc.

Apparently it went so well that there's talk of applying for grants to extend the project in that direction :ohdear: what have i done

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

welp

I mentioned the big population project we're doing here a while ago. So recently we had a little workgroup to look into possible models for user contributions, and I was invited to do a little presentation on gedcom pros/cons etc.

Apparently it went so well that there's talk of applying for grants to extend the project in that direction :ohdear: what have i done

That's awesome!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah! It all depends on funding tho so we'll see

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Anyone ever deal with fraudulent genealogy?

I can trace one side of the family to an original proprietor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, and this means a bunch of historians unrelated to my family already did the research long before I ever got to.

Except it took until the 1930's for an academic to figure out that a distant cousin of my ancestors, who they probably never knew of, paid a genealogist to completely fabricate the pre-American roots of the family, claiming that the lineage goes back to a man who Crusaded with Richard the Lionheart and was royalty.

The best part is thanks to people in the old times copying that into their notes and then people on the internet dispersing that information, when I go onto Ancestry.com pretty much all the boomers on there with overlapping trees think their ancestors were cool knights.

I'm guess its one of those quaint white-on-white American racisms, wanting your genealogy to say you were English.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah, there is a lot of garbage genealogy out there. There was a guy (Sixten Otto Brenner) who did paid genealogy research in the 1920s to 1950s who became infamous for his embellishments and eventually emigrated to Sweden. There, he did manage to restore his reputation somewhat, and one of his last works was a thorough account of the descent of early Danish king Gorm the Old (fl. 936–64 AD) through 16 generations to the 1400s that is by all accounts very reliable.

Still, his crappy family trees have poisoned a lot of later work. I don't use the social genealogy sites anymore, it's a constant battle to remove the bad info that just gets merged back in when another happy amateur joins the site.

A lot of people love to descend from someone notable, as if that makes them notable themselves.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My cousin's lifetime hobby was genealogy/family history: combing through old church records, taking headstone rubbings, corresponding with deacons at churches in the UK, etc. She had a stack of notes & documentation a foot high and records going back to the late 1400s.

Nobody in my family did anything historically notable outside of keeping our gene pool alive. No notable criminals either, so there's that. I now have all of those records.

No men ever seemed to have served in the military, either...my grandfather was too young for WWI and too old for WWII. My father should have been drafted for Korea, but got a student deferment in Eisenhower's America because he was in a tech field at university (chemist). Rumours are I have a distant great-uncle who was a Marine who was killed somewhere in Southeast Asia in WWII.

Well, that's my exciting family history.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yeah, there is a lot of garbage genealogy out there. There was a guy (Sixten Otto Brenner) who did paid genealogy research in the 1920s to 1950s who became infamous for his embellishments and eventually emigrated to Sweden. There, he did manage to restore his reputation somewhat, and one of his last works was a thorough account of the descent of early Danish king Gorm the Old (fl. 936–64 AD) through 16 generations to the 1400s that is by all accounts very reliable.

Still, his crappy family trees have poisoned a lot of later work. I don't use the social genealogy sites anymore, it's a constant battle to remove the bad info that just gets merged back in when another happy amateur joins the site.

A lot of people love to descend from someone notable, as if that makes them notable themselves.

I kind of had my imagination run wild for a second, like, "What were they covering up!?!?" There are some minor documentation issues with the generations who lived after Massachusetts Bay Colony & before the first Federal census (this was rural New England, so duh). Particularly with the man who would've lived during the Revolutionary period - so I started thinking about illegitimate children, pirates, slavers, Tories, Hessians - all kinds of fun stuff, but it's not that exciting.

The most exciting thing I found was Civil War service. Two of my distant uncles had Underground Railroad connections in Morgan County, Ohio. They both joined an Ohio regiment in 1863, and one died of disease in camp before they set out. The other one ended up seeing most of the major action of the rest of the war, just by my middling Civil War knowledge. The unit produced 3 Medal of Honors and got into some heavy poo poo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/122nd_Ohio_Infantry_Regiment.

Dude saw the New York draft riots, then survived "the Bloody Angle," Wilderness, Cold Harbor and all that really gruesome campaigning.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 24, 2021

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

20 Blunts posted:

Anyone ever deal with fraudulent genealogy?

I can trace one side of the family to an original proprietor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, and this means a bunch of historians unrelated to my family already did the research long before I ever got to.

Except it took until the 1930's for an academic to figure out that a distant cousin of my ancestors, who they probably never knew of, paid a genealogist to completely fabricate the pre-American roots of the family, claiming that the lineage goes back to a man who Crusaded with Richard the Lionheart and was royalty.

The best part is thanks to people in the old times copying that into their notes and then people on the internet dispersing that information, when I go onto Ancestry.com pretty much all the boomers on there with overlapping trees think their ancestors were cool knights.

I'm guess its one of those quaint white-on-white American racisms, wanting your genealogy to say you were English.

I have two family trees for each line. The real one and the ‘yeah this probably isn’t true’ line. There’s so much garbage out there, but there’s always a chance we are actually Scottish royalty.

Worst case right now is an ancestor who died in an Union POW camp. No one knows who his parents were. Just recently someone decided a similarly named individual was his father even though he lived 800 miles away and there’s nothing linking the two except for a last name and one census with the same first name (which is John, big help there).

I’ve crunched the numbers and there’s no chance these people are related. But because of that one poor link, a half dozen other family trees now use that data. The sad part is it essentially ends any legitimate research into the real father.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have two family trees for each line. The real one and the ‘yeah this probably isn’t true’ line. There’s so much garbage out there, but there’s always a chance we are actually Scottish royalty.

Worst case right now is an ancestor who died in an Union POW camp. No one knows who his parents were. Just recently someone decided a similarly named individual was his father even though he lived 800 miles away and there’s nothing linking the two except for a last name and one census with the same first name (which is John, big help there).

I’ve crunched the numbers and there’s no chance these people are related. But because of that one poor link, a half dozen other family trees now use that data. The sad part is it essentially ends any legitimate research into the real father.

And that's why I keep my tree private. I have enough trouble with suggested hints on ancestry pointing me at other people's trees who I've willingly shared with who just copied info from my tree. So annoying. And noone ever attempts to correct anything.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A true genealogist always checks the primary sources :c00lbert:

Me when I go over my old research:
seriously ive had to fix my past self's newbie mistakes so many times, it's ridiculous

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

A true genealogist always checks the primary sources :c00lbert:

Me when I go over my old research:
seriously ive had to fix my past self's newbie mistakes so many times, it's ridiculous

lol yup. The worst is duplicates because endogamy means 'oh hay why is this person in my tree three times... gently caress, you married this woman, her sister, AND the sister of my 3rd ggf on A DIFFERENT LINE YOU FUCKER KEEP YOUR WIFE ALIVE OR KEEP IT IN YOUR drat PANTS GOD DAMMIT.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Recently found my first ancestor whose 2nd wife died in an unsolved suspicious river drowning :banjo:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I just found out that one of my great9-grandfathers was killed by the perfidious Swedes on August 4, 1700. Wasn't even a soldier, just a fisherman with 4 young children :argh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_at_Humleb%C3%A6k

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

My Easter project was to unravel the sequence of events that lead to my Great Grandfather, a bombardier in the Artillery, being court martialed while on convalescent leave in London right at the end of WWI. He was delivered to the custody of NZ forces HQ on the 9th Nov 1918 and court martialed on the 26th, so probably spent the Armistice either CB or in the cells.

His offence seems to have been to accompany some drunken mates who started harrassing an officer in his dress blues travelling home on the tube. When a nearby captain ordered the troops arrest, one of them said "You're not going to let them turf us out for this bloody rubbish, are you?" G-grandfather said "No". The officers then ordered a nearby Aussie corporal to arrest them, who also refused in an abusive manner. Subsequently, one offender escaped, another was scratched from the proceedings for unknown reasons and G-Grandfather was tried and found not guilty of offering violence to an officer and conduct to the prejudice of good order.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 6, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

What's CB?

Also lmao "a nearby Aussie corporal to arrest them, who also refused in an abusive manner" I wonder which words he used :thunk:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

My Easter project was to unravel the sequence of events that lead to my Great Grandfather, a bombardier in the Artillery, being court martialed while on convalescent leave in London right at the end of WWI. He was delivered to the custody of NZ forces HQ on the 9th Nov 1918 and court martialed on the 26th, so probably spent the Armistice either CB or in the cells.

His offence seems to have been to accompany some drunken mates who started harrassing an officer in his dress blues travelling home on the tube. When a nearby captain ordered the troops arrest, one of them said "You're not going to let them turf us out for this bloody rubbish, are you?" G-grandfather said "No". The officers then ordered a nearby Aussie corporal to arrest them, who also refused in an abusive manner. Subsequently, one offender escaped, another was scratched from the proceedings for unknown reasons and G-Grandfather was tried and found not guilty of offering violence to an officer and conduct to the prejudice of good order.

Good story. :)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

I just found out that one of my great9-grandfathers was killed by the perfidious Swedes on August 4, 1700. Wasn't even a soldier, just a fisherman with 4 young children :argh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_at_Humleb%C3%A6k
Was he poaching the king's deer? lutefisk?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Carthag Tuek posted:

What's CB?

Also lmao "a nearby Aussie corporal to arrest them, who also refused in an abusive manner" I wonder which words he used :thunk:

Confined to Barracks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

^^ thx

Oracle posted:

Was he poaching the king's deer? lutefisk?

It seems the Danes didn't have enough troops nearby to repel the Swedes, so a bunch of local farmers and fishermen were tasked with helping. Didn't help much though, the Swedes managed to get through & apparently killed my ancestor. I don't really have any details, just that when his copyhold was taken over by another man the following year, it says he "died at the landing".

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 6, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

^^ thx

It seems the Danes didn't have enough troops nearby to repel the Swedes, so a bunch of local farmers and fishermen were tasked with helping. Didn't help much though, the Swedes managed to get through & apparently killed my ancestor. I don't really have any details, just that when his copyhold was taken over by another man the following year, it says he "died at the landing".

Ah, he was voluntold to defend the motherland, likely with his trusty pitchfork. That sucks. But man I'm jealous you have all this documentation on exactly what happened.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Alright, here's the rest of this chapter of the glorious martial history of the Jaguars! clan (The rest isn't much better). Bombardier Hobbs is my Great-grandfather, Gunner Waite has his name crossed of the documents and there's nothing on his personnel file so it's a bit ambiguous how much he was involved, in fact I would guess that the whole thing foundered on the lack of positive identification.

quote:

12.40AM 8-11-1918: 2Lt Paterson of 5/Grenadier Guards and about 10 NZ troops are on the subway platform at Earls Court. Paterson is wearing his dress blue uniform, which impresses the Kiwi soldiers. The smaller of two accused soldiers (Waite?) talks to Paterson. [Paterson]: "I saw they were trying to be a little familiar, so I moved away from them."

Train Arrives, containing Cpt Wray RE (Of the RAF) & Lt Townshend of Durham Light Infantry (attd RAF). Troops board followed by Paterson, who for some reason decides to wait on the platform between the carriages.

[Paterson] After 2 minutes the troops open the door to carriage. The small man calls another, and eventually grabs Paterson's coat. Both jostle Paterson.

[Wray]: Troops make fun of Paterson who asks them to board the car. They crowd around Paterson who attempts to induce them to keep quiet. [Paterson]: Tells the troops "If you don't stop this immediately the whole lot of you will be put under arrest." Someone calls Paterson a "chocolate soldier". Paterson breaks away from troops.

Train arrives at station. Wray invites Paterson into their compartment. [Paterson]3 [Wray] 4 - 5 [Townshend]2 NZ Troops follow. [Townshend]: Attendant tries to stop troops, but they force their way in with Hobbs following. [Paterson]: Hobbs, Small man and the other ringleader enter and begin to loudly discuss their looming arrest. [Townshend]:Troops make rude remarks about Paterson, one takes off hat and raises fist to Paterson. A nearby Australian Corporal calms troop down.

Wray and Paterson discuss removing troops (to custody?) at Leicester sq. [Townshend]: Wray threatens to arrest Hobbs or Waite?. One asks why they are being arested. Wray advises them not to talk. A kiwi says "You are not going to allow us to be turfed out by this bloody rubbish?" [Wray]: I said to them "It's no use trying that, boys, because I think I can handle you."

Train arrives Leicester sq. Conductor detains train at the request of Wray. Wray orders troops out of train. Troops refuse and appeal to Hobbs saying "You are not going to allow us to be kicked out like this" and accused said "No".

Wray asks Hobbs to help: "Come on my man, I want you to help us" Paterson threatens Hobbs with arrest: "If you do not assist you will also come out". Wray asks Aussie Cpl to detain soldiers, but Cpl refuses [Wray, in draft statement]: in an abusive manner. The other ringleader makes a run for it and escapes. Wray [in his cross-examination] threatens to knock heads of his other prisoners together. Hobbs and Waite are arrested and taken to Vine St Police Station.

12-11-1918:
2/1993 CPL Oliver makes a written statement that BDR Hobbs was taken into NZ HQ custody 9-11-1918.

Court-martial ordered 21-11-1918:

MAJ W.G. Bishop NZRB President.
CPT C.A.L Treadwell Prosecuting

Summonsed:
13760 RFN Harris P NZRB
13/2916 DVR Smith HJG NZFA
16/554 CPL Te Paa NZ(M)PB
35857 PTE Ross J 2/NZEB
2/1515 BDR Hobbs EP NZFA
2/2335 GNR Waite EJ NZFA

Charges:
1. When on active service offering Violence to a superior officer in that he at London on Oct 8th 1918 assaulted 2/Lt. Paterson 5/Res. Bn Grenadier Guards by Seizing him by the coat and dragging him forcedly into a railway carriage.

2. When on active service conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline in that he at London on Nov 8th 1918 made use of in the prescence of Captain E.H. Wray and 2/lt Paterson, the remarks "That they would be damned if they would be placed in arrest by these bloody fools" such remarks being intended to refer to the said Capt E.H. Wray an 2/Lt J. S. Paterson.

Court-Martial convenes 26-11-1918.

Hobbs Pleads not Guilty

Reconvenes 27-11-1918. Witnesses finish giving statements.

Hobbs does not give evidence or call witnesses.

Court finds Hobbs Not Guilty.

Paterson's preliminary statement accuses Hobbs as ringleader but in his sworn statement accuses the shorter of the troops.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So I was today years old when I learned that Sweden has an amazing free online newspaper repository that goes back in some cases to the 1600s.

https://tidningar.kb.se/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I mentioned that itt 5 years ago :colbert:

Thanks for the story Jaguars! That's the good stuff :)

Also, the archives may be opening soon so I'm going through the stuff I put in reservations for (some of it back in like October/November), and I really should have taken notes on this. I wonder why I wanted to check out The Justice Office of the National Court's Journal of Incoming Petitions etc 1807–09. Hopefully it has a name index so I can see if anybody rings a bell lol

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

I mentioned that itt 5 years ago :colbert:

Thanks for the story Jaguars! That's the good stuff :)

Also, the archives may be opening soon so I'm going through the stuff I put in reservations for (some of it back in like October/November), and I really should have taken notes on this. I wonder why I wanted to check out The Justice Office of the National Court's Journal of Incoming Petitions etc 1807–09. Hopefully it has a name index so I can see if anybody rings a bell lol

Five years?! Sheesh this thread is old.

Would that be Demark's archives or Sweden's archives? Because apparently I'm down to having to dig through Karlskoga's court archives for the years 1853-54 and those aren't online but you can apparently bribe send a request wrapped in euros and they'll scan and upload them for you on whatever that free swedish site is (they currently only have like 1849 or something up).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Danish archives, or I'd be happy to take a look (offer valid for anyone here btw).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

Danish archives, or I'd be happy to take a look (offer valid for anyone here btw).

Some day I'll have a Danish relative for you to dig through (I think my nearest one dates from like when New York was New Amsterdam and was an orphan though, so lol)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah, that would be tricky. It's fairly straightforward to get back to the early 1700s, but earlier usually requires intimate knowledge of the town/area (substituting other sources for burnt parish registers, trawling govt accounting records, etc).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

There's a series of films from Denmark 16–1700s on FamilySearch, where were all digized back in 2019, except the one would say "no access" when you clicked on the little camera. So I wrote them about it a year ago & they simply removed the camera icon. I figured they were working on it or something.

Still isn't online, so I made a new ticket last week like "film #xxxx in catalog entry #yyyy is not available, though the rest are ok." Just got a reponse that is basically "Thank you for the information. I see that it is "accountings 1712 whatever", which is kept in Salt Lake".

lmao what? yes, that is the film i mean. i dont care where it is! you gonna fix it or are you just making conversation :psyduck:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

In other news, I visited the current priest in my hometown's parish to see what their archives had. Since the old parsonage burned in 1873 along with the parish records & archive, there wasn't much old stuff, but I did find various interesting documents. She was very interested in my dormant book project (the transcription of the old priest's documents that I've posted about previously). It is held up by the present force majeure, but I do intend to finish it as soon as possible.

Also, I've managed to complete 4 generations of all ancestors born before the burnt parish registers, most of the lines even go 5 and 6 generations back (~150 years)! I believe I'm nearing the end of what is possible with the extant sources, though. I may be able to add a father here and there, but there simply isn't any more material that I haven't been through several times over.