Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Len posted:

This. It's absurdly expensive but everyones QoL has improved with it in our house. My apartment smells better and the cats have a cleaner box than I ever kept them with. Changing the bag out takes like 2 minutes tops and when I run out of their official bags you can just use a regular trash bag

plus if you get the wifi connect module, you can see usage data. it’s my favorite part!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

durrneez posted:

plus if you get the wifi connect module, you can see usage data. it’s my favorite part!!

Or you can see every time the jerks make it stop because they...just... can’t... leave it the hell alone!!

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
litterbot chat pains me because I found out it's like $200 extra for the Euro version :mad:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Hey thread! I've had 5 cats over my 47 years on this planet, but I always adopted adult cats. My in-law's cat, Stinky, gave birth to kittens the first week in March, and they're now weaned. We've got two picked out, a boy (as yet unamed) and a girl (my husband suggested Eartha today, which works pretty well as not only an Eartha Kitt(en) joke but since one of her sisters is named Luna).

We're bringing them to our place this weekend. And I have questions about my first go with teeny tiny kittens! I read the entire OP for kitten info, but given that that's 12 years old, some stuff might be outdated now.

1. Is Dr. Elsey's still the bestest cat litter for making sure new kitties use the box? Is it safe for kittens? I read on another site that you shouldn't get clumping stuff because kittens are as dumb as they are cute and might eat litter, so clumping is a no-no.

2. Any recommendations for a high-quality kitten food? We'll be grabbing some of whatever the in-laws have been feeding them, since they're used to it; but knowing my in-laws, it's probably the McDonald's of cat food and might not be designed for maximum kitten nutrition.

3. I'm doing everything I can to kitten-proof the room we're going to acclimate them in, but I'm probably forgetting/not noticing something. I've got all the electrical cords taped to the floor so they're not attractive toys, scoured the room for any potential choking hazards, moved the potted plants to the kitchen, etc. If anyone's got a "holy poo poo, I didn't even think of that" item they recall from getting kittens for the first time, I'm all ears.

4. I should note that we don't have any current cats; we lost our 17 year old boy and 15 year old girl last year because 2020 was damned and determined to suck as much as possible. So no worries about intra-kitty conflicts.

5. I believe the cat pic tax is obligatory, no?

We're getting the unnamed orange fella, and the tabbies are Luna and Eartha (but I can't tell which is which in this pic, Luna's got white mittens that you can't see.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MarcusSA posted:

Or you can see every time the jerks make it stop because they...just... can’t... leave it the hell alone!!

I turned that notification off because the poo poo gremlin doesn't like it taking his poop

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

MarcusSA posted:

The litter robot is amazing and worth the money.

Don’t settle for less.

It works as advertised.

I have two kitties and I only have to change the bag every 4 days or so and add litter like maybe every other day (maybe?) it’s very very efficient.

Edit: Also the smell is non existent. It’s pretty amazing.

Nth-ing this

I have three cats and I was sick of trudging everywhere to pick up poop. Several people in thread have tried the cheaper options and had various complaints, I've been ecstatic with mine. I use the same drawstring kitchen bags we use already and change it out every 3-4 days. It works just fine with World's Best cat litter (the red bag if that matters).

I have the Bluetooth model and it was handy tracking their activities and habits, including clueing me in to when one was pooping under the stairs because of intestinal issues.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

OK, I ordered a $500 litter box.

DarkHorse posted:

It works just fine with World's Best cat litter (the red bag if that matters).

I would like to know more. We’ve been using Dr. Elsey’s Ultra, but I’m open to changing if something works better.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Len posted:

I turned that notification off because the poo poo gremlin doesn't like it taking his poop

While checking to see if I got any replies, I was at least treated to this amazing post. If I had PI mod buttons you best believe that would be the new thread title.

Edit: I just tried to report it and someone beat me to it

Edit2: report it for recommending a funny title change, to be clear! We mods welcome those tickets. :)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 9, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Loucks posted:

I would like to know more. We’ve been using Dr. Elsey’s Ultra, but I’m open to changing if something works better.

It's a wheat-based clumping litter. It's not quite dust free but not nearly as dusty as clay and seems to be easier on kitty paws. Plus probably safer because bentonite clay can be an inhalation hazard over time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

It's a wheat-based clumping litter. It's not quite dust free but not nearly as dusty as clay and seems to be easier on kitty paws. Plus probably safer because bentonite clay can be an inhalation hazard over time.

I’m gonna check this out as well. Thanks for the tip!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

JacquelineDempsey posted:

We're getting the unnamed orange fella, and the tabbies are Luna and Eartha (but I can't tell which is which in this pic, Luna's got white mittens that you can't see.)

hello, your fur tax bracket is determined by the number of words in your post so you are in the MANY KITTANZ PICS PLZ bracket.

i’ve heard mixed messages about clumping litter. some rescues say clumping is a no-no. some say it’s fine. it’s probably best to err on the safer side. i’ve used Dr. Elsey’s blue bag and purina free & clear no clumps and clumping when fostering kittens and have success with all three.

Loucks posted:

:yeah: i was using Dr. Elsey’s blue bag with my first LR3 and the clumps would stick to the rubber lining. it could be because it was second hand and was stored outdoors on some rich lady’s balcony in LA for years. i switched to tidy cats free & clear (NOT the lightweight one) and i didnt get any more clumps at 15 min cycle delay. now with my new LR3, the clumps sometimes stick to the rubber liner but im using a 3 min delay because this foster kittens turds fuckin STINK.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thanks for the info durrneez! Believe me, between PI, the #blessed thread in GBS, and my home turf of PYF, these forums are gonna be drowning in KITTANZ PICS. We're getting them Sunday, tomorrow is shopping for food and poop rocks and working on kitten-proofing the other rooms.

Then let the kitten sixers begin [steeples fingers like Mr. Burns]

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Congrats! That orange boy is definitely a Sol, or maybe a UFO (Unnamed Fuzzy Orangelet).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Well clearly he should be Mars, the Red Planet Cat. :colbert:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Thanks for the info durrneez! Believe me, between PI, the #blessed thread in GBS, and my home turf of PYF, these forums are gonna be drowning in KITTANZ PICS. We're getting them Sunday, tomorrow is shopping for food and poop rocks and working on kitten-proofing the other rooms.

Then let the kitten sixers begin [steeples fingers like Mr. Burns]

Is my maths wrong or are they only six weeks old max? That seems very young to be removing them from their mother. Eight weeks is a common time but pretty sure breeders do 12-14 weeks to give proper time to learn to cat.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Eight weeks plus is advised but as long as kittens are weaned and weigh two pounds so they can be spayed/neutered they can be on their own. Early separation is even preferred when mom is feral so they can't learn fear of humans.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tomorrow we are collecting Grace's ashes. :smith:

We are also going to the shelter to meet a diabetic senior kitty who may fit into our existing bunch. :unsmith: Buffy has been at the shelter for months and requires special care, but my Norris is already a diabetic senior who requires special care, so why not bring her home if it feels right?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RE: litter for kitten chat

My policy has always been as long as they're not sniffing/eating litter and seem decently litter trained, it should be safe to go to clumping. Make sure they're pooping/peeing where they're supposed to be going for a few weeks, then I'd say you could go clumping

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I finally caved and got the litterrobot. It took a few days for Morgana to be comfortable going into it. But Sissel went in it easily. Morgana runs to it everytime it does the auto clean and just watches it and sometimes peaks her head into it

https://imgur.com/a/DrmfrbA

The litter robot is worth it. Its just been a few weeks. But Im already so glad I no longer need to scoop.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We've had it since September and this poo poo gremlin still runs out to watch it cycle every single time

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Are cat prosthetics a thing? My cat Wiggles has fibrosarcoma tumors in her back leg, probably the result of a rabies vaccine years ago. She's old -- turns 19 in June -- but still has a lot of spirit in her and is the absolute sweetest thing ever. I've taken her to a couple of vets and they mostly agree that even if she survives anesthesia and amputation, she probably won't have much of a quality life in the time she has left so for now we've resigned ourselves to the inevitable and take her to get the growing mass drained of fluid a couple of times a month. But each time we drain it and shrink it down, it seems to come back a little quicker (her most recent visit a week ago drained 40ccs from the mass :staredog:)

I'm currently quite feverish from my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine but I just woke from a dream/vision about getting Wiggles' leg amputated but to help her recover and maintain a balance, she's given a removable prosthetic leg. Is that possible? Are there organizations out there that help tripod cats or 3D print these things and I can go from being resigned about my cat's death to turning this into an inspirational Dodo story?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You should allow your very senior cat to live out her days in comfort (ie no pain) and with minimal intervention. She is 19. Prolonging her life by a small amount via humongous intervention, pain and discomfort is not and would not be a kindness to your lovely friend and companion.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Cats are pretty comfortable as tripods and there isn't usually a need for a prosthetic replacement if only one leg is damaged/lost. That said, at 19 your kitty is almost certainly not going to recover from surgery well and if amputation was a good idea your vets would have already suggested it.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

You should allow your very senior cat to live out her days in comfort (ie no pain) and with minimal intervention. She is 19. Prolonging her life by a small amount via humongous intervention, pain and discomfort is not and would not be a kindness to your lovely friend and companion.

This.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah and she actually has arthritis in her legs which means even if she survived surgery she wouldn't adapt well as a tripod. I was just hoping my vaccine fever dream opened up a possibility I hadn't otherwise considered.

I'm already starting to draft in my head what I'm going to say in the pet memorial thread. :smith:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Prosthetics are a thing, tripod cats are definitely a thing, but quality and duration of life are the factors you should consider when deciding if it's worthwhile.

I love your sweet senior :unsmith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Took the cat in for his rabies shot this morning and he's thrown up a few times since bringing him home :ohdear: we're hoping it's just that he had a traumatic experience came home and gorged himself on food

But the vet scheduled him for 1040 if it keeps up

Edit: he threw up the whole way to the vet

Edit 2: now I get to carpet scrub and bath a food processor later today

Edit 3: an epi shot and observation he appears to be better. And no cost for that either somehow. I think everything is fine

Edit 4: not fine, everything he puts down comes back up. I'm wondering if he just picked a bad time to get constipated or eat something he shouldn't have? Do I give him laxative like we do our other car when she gets pukey?

Len fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 10, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The full quote was slightly too long, I hope this is an acceptable compromise.

(I really needed the laugh, though.)

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Anyone here ever make a chainlink cat enclosure? I'm planning on building one and was wondering if there are any drawbacks.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

No idea, but I look forward to video of your cat climbing up it and flashing their rear end in a top hat at you before they run off to execute songbirds.

Also that litter robot came already and my cat can’t decide whether she loves it or hates it. It’s definitely weird to have an app that tells me when my cat uses her litter box.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Len posted:

Edit 4: not fine, everything he puts down comes back up. I'm wondering if he just picked a bad time to get constipated or eat something he shouldn't have? Do I give him laxative like we do our other car when she gets pukey?

Call the vet back and ask if you should, this is not something we can forums diagnose. I hope he feels better soon but if it's some kind of reaction then the only people who can help are the vets.

Christoph posted:

Anyone here ever make a chainlink cat enclosure? I'm planning on building one and was wondering if there are any drawbacks.

Make sure it's got smaller gaps than your cat's head, since that's about the size of a hole they can wedge through. Also make sure it has a top on it or yeah they'll just climb it. Most people I've seen do catio-style stuff use chicken wire or screen material rather than chain link, to be honest.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mistaya posted:

Call the vet back and ask if you should, this is not something we can forums diagnose. I hope he feels better soon but if it's some kind of reaction then the only people who can help are the vets.

Make sure it's got smaller gaps than your cat's head, since that's about the size of a hole they can wedge through. Also make sure it has a top on it or yeah they'll just climb it. Most people I've seen do catio-style stuff use chicken wire or screen material rather than chain link, to be honest.

We actually just got back from the third trip out there. He opened up and met us to give him something to help with nausea and told us to keep an eye on him for the night and call back in the morning. I offered to pay and he wouldn't take my money, same with the second trip where they gave us an epi shot. I legitimately got teary when they refused payment because i was expecting to pay lots

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014

Although tiny, kitten's claws are razor sharp and they like to climb you. My little hooligan of a kitten shredded me until I got her claws trimmed and my vet does claw trims for free.

In terms of room prep, sounds like you've been pretty thorough. I'd also take a look for tiny places they can squeeze themselves into that may not be ideal. Mine squeezed herself in behind a large piece of furniture I couldn't move on my own and then couldn't get out - had to get the neighbour to help.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

We actually just got back from the third trip out there. He opened up and met us to give him something to help with nausea and told us to keep an eye on him for the night and call back in the morning. I offered to pay and he wouldn't take my money, same with the second trip where they gave us an epi shot. I legitimately got teary when they refused payment because i was expecting to pay lots

he's drank a bunch of water since coming home and kept it all down, the vet suggested keeping the food up tonight and giving him breakfast. i doubt anyone cares but i will keep you updated!

currently he's holding my partner down on the couch demanding all the cuddles which is fair he's had a traumatic day

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Len posted:

he's drank a bunch of water since coming home and kept it all down, the vet suggested keeping the food up tonight and giving him breakfast. i doubt anyone cares but i will keep you updated!

currently he's holding my partner down on the couch demanding all the cuddles which is fair he's had a traumatic day

Glad the anti nausea helped! Poor little guy. I hope he feels 100% soon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

He's switched to my lap now because my lap is apparently the Good Lap

I'm okay with this because he's always there to cuddle when either of us are sick. It's why there's officially a Dr in his name. The joke is you aren't actually sick unless the Doc is there

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Len posted:

He's switched to my lap now because my lap is apparently the Good Lap

I'm okay with this because he's always there to cuddle when either of us are sick. It's why there's officially a Dr in his name. The joke is you aren't actually sick unless the Doc is there

:unsmith: hopefully tomorrow he can keep his meals down

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Beyond Satire posted:

Although tiny, kitten's claws are razor sharp and they like to climb you. My little hooligan of a kitten shredded me until I got her claws trimmed and my vet does claw trims for free.

In terms of room prep, sounds like you've been pretty thorough. I'd also take a look for tiny places they can squeeze themselves into that may not be ideal. Mine squeezed herself in behind a large piece of furniture I couldn't move on my own and then couldn't get out - had to get the neighbour to help.

On the plus side being kittens is the perfect time to get them used to handling their paws and trimming their claws

Just gently touching and squeezing them, maybe clipping one or two (just the very ends) and giving lots of treats or cuddles or play, whatever they most want

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
So, my cat just fell from my two story balcony. I have mesh all around the bars and they've been going out there safely (with supervision 99% of the time) for a long time now with no incident, so I have no idea how this happened. He seems completely fine and is acting normal, affectionate, and playful, but should I take him to the vet this week? I assume they'd have to take expensive x-rays or cat scans or something, which I would love to avoid because I'm poor. But I know cats hide their injuries and my mom had a cat die from a fall-related injury, so I'm worried.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If he's acting his normal self he's probably fine. If you notice any part of his body that he doesn't like being touched, you may have a problem. I'd be willing to bet the vet could confirm he's not injured with just a normal exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just gave him a little wet food and instead of licking the gravy and walking away he ate all of it. Fingers crossed it stays down

I was so worried about him yesterday, I plan to call the vet tomorrow and see if there's any local shelters they like. If they won't take my money I'll give it to something else pet related