Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nobody Interesting posted:

Got the job. Praise be to rope kid. I'll be the company's Linux expert because I spent two weeks trying to get this silly RPG playable on a silly OS.
'grats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Nobody Interesting posted:

Got the job. Praise be to rope kid. I'll be the company's Linux expert because I spent two weeks trying to get this silly RPG playable on a silly OS.

2021 is the year of Linux on the desktop.

JohnLovely
Aug 15, 2017

by Athanatos
Grimey Drawer

Hiro Protagonist posted:

For people looking for something different Modiphius just put a pre-order for their Fallout Tabletop RPG. Pre-ordering gives you access to the PDF, so you can start playing now if you want. Seems pretty good, sad Boston is the default setting, but it wouldn't take much to customize to wherever you want to set it.

as an anonymous beta tester i am required to tell you to avoid this like the loving plague

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

JohnLovely posted:

as an anonymous beta tester i am required to tell you to avoid this like the loving plague

It's Modiphius 2d20, what else would we expect?
Just play Legacy or something

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

F4NV put out a new video. Jokey, but lots of new enviromental scenes we haven't seen yet. Looking pretty good. I wonder how far along they are besides environments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D67uofWKFqw

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
What's wrong with 2d20 system? I've never played it and I don't know anybody who's ever played it, but I assume there are some fundamental problems if any product using it is automatically assumed to be trash.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

Viva New Vegas is pretty much universally recommended as a starting point.
Cowboy is perfectly valid (there even happens to be a "Cowboy" perk that will help you). Hand Loader for special ammo will help make up for some of the weaker guns, but as you get up there they're plenty on their own. Armor might be iffy if aesthetic is a concern, though ranger armor & variants are solid. The one trouble point might be Dead Money, there's a handgun there still but ammo tends to get troublesome in DM.
Quoting to bookmark.

I'm interested in FNV with the basic recommended mods but yeesh, I don't want to invest the hours up front with modding right now.

One day.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Quoting to bookmark.

I'm interested in FNV with the basic recommended mods but yeesh, I don't want to invest the hours up front with modding right now.

One day.

TBH the new VNV guide should only take you an hour and a half if you know the basics of MO2. They cut out all the dumb bullshit with X edit and all that

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

TBH the new VNV guide should only take you an hour and a half if you know the basics of MO2. They cut out all the dumb bullshit with X edit and all that

That’s good to know!

I googled VNV and (from a brief scan of the guide) it seemed like there was still a bunch of technical stuff involved. Like Microsoft VC++

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That’s good to know!

I googled VNV and (from a brief scan of the guide) it seemed like there was still a bunch of technical stuff involved. Like Microsoft VC++
It just lists VC++ under requirements because tools like MO2 or the 4GB patcher require it. There's nothing technical about it. Just download that installer and run it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

What's wrong with 2d20 system? I've never played it and I don't know anybody who's ever played it, but I assume there are some fundamental problems if any product using it is automatically assumed to be trash.

First of all, take this with a grain of salt, as I'm a diehard 40K/WHFantasy RPG player (at least, before they started using funny dice) and have only really seen the Infinity 2d20 RPG (because they have literal Space Muslims as a faction, and I wanted to support that sort of thing). From what I remember, the 2d20 system kind of works the fewer fiddly parts of a system it has to interact with, and it was already kind of bloated with Infinity. Fallout has a bajillion skills, stats and perks, which could really slow down gameplay, and that's not counting how convoluted character creation can be, assuming the system uses the same complex Lifepath system that Infinity uses. The system can also be a little counterintuitive to start with if you're used to d20 systems, as you have to roll lower than a target number on your 2d20s- this might seem a little nitpicky, but it's one of those little things that build up in a practical sense.

All that said, for me the big thing is how the game relies on metacurrencies called Momentum (which is good) and Heat (which is bad); Momentum gives you effects like bonus damage, rerolls and the like. You can voluntarily give the GM Heat to give you Momentum, in exchange for the GM using that Heat to bite you in the rear end later. While this does make for big, dramatic moments (like, say, giving the GM Heat so you have Momentum to drag a wounded buddy across a battlefield), it does slow things down, what with Heat limits, Momentum limits (which are further separated into your Personal Momentum and Party Momentum) and trying to interpret all that poo poo. It's not quite as slow as Exalted's tick system, but it's getting there.

For me though, the biggest worry is how much Modiphius will support the system. Infinity seems to have stalled, with some of the setting's major elements like mechs being p. much vapourware at the moment, which means I'd probably never see the starship supplement I was so hyped for. If the Fallout 2d20 core book doesn't come out in a complete enough fashion, the DM's going to have to do a lot of prep if they want to do anything but Fallout: Funhouse Edition™ which is pretty much just Bethesda's shtick all over again.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Twilight 2000 1st edition is so good for Fallout it's spooky

Percentage based skills which conveniently include nearly all skills in Fallout? Check
Percentage based shooting with each limb tracked individually and able to be crippled? Check
Radiation tracking/effects? Check
SPECIAL style attributes? Check
Survival mode style food requirements and scavenging being a major focus of the game? Checkaroony
Not to mention tons of other little things such as settlement building skills and vehicles/animals.

All you have to do is add energy weapons, stimpacks/chems, and whatever monsters/robots you plan on using. Although it is a d100 system which is essentially a 2d10 system. So complicated combats with lots of participants/vehicles can take forever to resolve.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

In college we just ran GURPS for Fallout and it was fine.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Man, Come Fly With Me is so much quicker when you just kill Harland.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

killing Davidson and the few Nightkin makes it go by fast too.
Normally I try to leave Nightkin alone, but I also have That Gun and these GRA Challanges ain't gonna finish themselves soooo....

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Getting Harlan out alive and the Nightkin to leave is a bit tricky when Harlan just runs up through the hallway where one of the nightkin patrols.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

MariusLecter posted:

Getting Harlan out alive and the Nightkin to leave is a bit tricky when Harlan just runs up through the hallway where one of the nightkin patrols.

never leave harlan alive

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

it's been my go to every time since the second time I did that quest

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

MariusLecter posted:

I've never had that problem, but I've always done a run will some amount of stealth and have picked up a couple of stealth boys by that time to get by the 'kin and see that Harlan's dame had died.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I do like how the Nightkin, probably the most dangerous form of super mutant, aren't automatically hostile to you most of the time. They might have a very fractured view of the world, even by super mutant standards, but they're not savage orcs to mindlessly gun down, they're just trying to get by.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

OldMemes posted:

I do like how the Nightkin, probably the most dangerous form of super mutant, aren't automatically hostile to you most of the time. They might have a very fractured view of the world, even by super mutant standards, but they're not savage orcs to mindlessly gun down, they're just trying to get sneak by.

Fixed that for you

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'll be honest, I never really "got" stealth boys in the original game, and could never figure out how to work them, but they're more fun in the 3D games. Shame they're so rare in New Vegas that they're not really viable to rely on.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

OldMemes posted:

I'll be honest, I never really "got" stealth boys in the original game, and could never figure out how to work them, but they're more fun in the 3D games. Shame they're so rare in New Vegas that they're not really viable to rely on.

That's where Logan's Loophole + Chemist + Day Tripper come in.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

CommissarMega posted:

For me though, the biggest worry is how much Modiphius will support the system. Infinity seems to have stalled, with some of the setting's major elements like mechs being p. much vapourware at the moment, which means I'd probably never see the starship supplement I was so hyped for. If the Fallout 2d20 core book doesn't come out in a complete enough fashion, the DM's going to have to do a lot of prep if they want to do anything but Fallout: Funhouse Edition™ which is pretty much just Bethesda's shtick all over again.
Modiphius has published a continual stream of splats and modules for the Star Trek Adventures 2D20 since the game was released. My guess is how much support a game gets depends on its popularity and how much money it brings in, with the bigger lines getting more attention. Fallout 2D20 is a big IP but I have no idea whether that will translate into more books.

I've been using my own system hacked together from Delta Green, which is itself a hack of BRP. D100 roll under with base attributes and percentile skills and so on. I've run a couple campaigns with it it's worked pretty well. I might pick up the Mophidius Fallout but I doubt I'll switch. I like 2D20 as a player (from the couple sessions I've played of STA) but I don't know how much I'd like it as a DM. I've found systems with economies of DM facing meta-points increase the amount of mental energy it takes me to run them, even when those economies are relatively straightforward.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

You guys gave me some setup help a few weeks ago (thanks again) and I've been trudging through a little at a time. I just made it into the Sierra Madre around level 28 and let me say that this DLC sucks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Get the light step perk and load up on explosives.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

never play without Logan's Loophole

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

You guys gave me some setup help a few weeks ago (thanks again) and I've been trudging through a little at a time. I just made it into the Sierra Madre around level 28 and let me say that this DLC sucks

:hmmwrong:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

The Wonder Weapon posted:

If not for those goddamn speakers and the fix that prevents carrying all the gold, it'd be fine.

But the loving gold is so loving heavy, I can't loving carry more than 2 bars if I empty my inventory completely. :bang:
OH, AND THOSE loving HOLOGRAMS!! :argh:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The cloud + nowhere to sleep but the police station in the town proper are the worst parts for me. And the nearly impossible mad dash to escape at the end

The atmosphere and story are fantastic though. And it’s a lot more fun on the second playthrough

Playing Honest Hearts at a high level is a mistake I won’t make again

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 10, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/dot_aif/status/1379962592618115072?s=20

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I know there's a trick of using Elijah's eyeball to store the gold and taking it with you, but I had my own fun way of smuggling all the gold out:

- Collect all the mines and C4 throughout the DLC.
- Mine the hell out of the platforms outside the vault. You'd want to put the C4 charges in its own corner so it doesn't get blown up by the others.
- Grab all the gold, then walk all the way toward the exit. Elijah should erect a forcefield on the doorway to prevent you from going inside where he's at and then activate the turrets.
- Aim at one of the turrets while you're pressing back against the forcefield.
- Without using VATS, unload a full clip of the holorifle to destroy a turret and then reload.
- Elijah should turn off the forcefield for a second to move into the arena. As long as you keep holding down while reloading, you'll be able to phase through the forcefield.
- Now get a drink and enjoy the feeling of catharsis from watching Elijah get blown up by all the mines you've left for him. Even if the level scaling gives him a lot of health, the C4 should be enough to one-shot him.
- With Elijah dead, the countdown starts, but since you're already past the forcefield you can just saunter to the exit with lots of time to spare.

What normally happens is that Elijah will turn off the forcefield to the doorway for a bit so he can walk into the platform and start shooting you. In order to prevent you from going through it, it's coded so that you get shocked and flung away if you're standing too close to the doorway. But for some reason, the reloading animation bypasses all of that, allowing you to move into the platform Elijah spawns in without having to do the platforming section.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I usually just spam the turbo implant.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

You know, I know there's plenty of ways to get all the gold out of the Sierra Madre, but how exactly do you go about converting them into caps afterward? In my own limited experience you can offload one, maybe two bars at a time before you wipe out a merchant and have to wait a week for them to reset, so unless there's a more efficient method you've just got yourself the world's most expensive collection of paperweights.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Marshal Radisic posted:

You know, I know there's plenty of ways to get all the gold out of the Sierra Madre, but how exactly do you go about converting them into caps afterward? In my own limited experience you can offload one, maybe two bars at a time before you wipe out a merchant and have to wait a week for them to reset, so unless there's a more efficient method you've just got yourself the world's most expensive collection of paperweights.

This helps.
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/56116

quote:

I've added a golden bottlecap press to the Cap Counterfeiting Shack, in the basement. With it, you can turn a gold bar into 500 golden bottlecaps. These caps can be sold for 20 regular caps each - a good profit, methinks. That's all, really.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

you can just sneak out with all the gold, it isn't hard

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

also just... take your time? Don't run around? The environment is oppressive but if you're careful it's not difficult to deal with

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
If you're going to install a mod to convert the gold into caps just... Cheat yourself the caps you want?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Marshal Radisic posted:

It's a good way to get all the GRA weapons, they all cost thousands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Marshal Radisic posted:

Convert them into...caps? I don't think I follow. :confused: I just put them all into the bathtub in my Novac apartment, along with my collection of Dinky the T-Rex toys and rocket souvenirs.

I do make sure to leave a gold bar in Doc Mitchell's place as thanks for saving me.