Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ha, I was quite young still when this aired, but I recall having a similar reaction. It jarred me into a "wait, the Simpsons can be... bad?" realization that tree following seasons only reinforced. Unfortunately, the rest of my family never had the same and I'm likely to be subjected to an episode from the later seasons whenever I visit.

Simpsons was popular when I was a kid, but South Park got good and Family Guy came out around the time the Simpsons started sucking (e.g. 1999ish), and frankly I forgot the Simpsons existed for ~15 years until I started running into Simpsons memes online and young people who were inexplicably Simpsons fans even though the show had been bad almost their entire lifetimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What's a bit weird is that the Mike Scully-run episodes were the first real downturn in quality, but he's actually credited with writing one of my favourite episodes (Marge Be Not Proud), and I've recently been enjoying Parks and Recreation, which I know he was heavily involved with.

Hasn't Swartzwelder been credited with some stinkers over the years too? It feels like you can't really blame individuals (give or take an Al Jean) because the talent is clearly there, it's just that the whole culture of the show is out of whack.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What's a bit weird is that the Mike Scully-run episodes were the first real downturn in quality, but he's actually credited with writing one of my favourite episodes (Marge Be Not Proud), and I've recently been enjoying Parks and Recreation, which I know he was heavily involved with.

Hasn't Swartzwelder been credited with some stinkers over the years too? It feels like you can't really blame individuals (give or take an Al Jean) because the talent is clearly there, it's just that the whole culture of the show is out of whack.

There's a difference between writing a show and running a show. At the end of the day, Scully took the show in a direction that didn't work. It doesn't mean he's not a good writer or funny, it just means he's not a good show runner.

Why the show went down is hard to say. I think a big problem is that the show went too far into the fantastic and started telling stories that were too improbable. The problems the family faced were no longer grounded in reality. Earlier seasons did some weird things, but the stories were grounded somewhat. But during that era, it just didn't know where to go.

There's definitely good writing and good moments.

Another thing that happened is the zeitgeist started to change. And where once the Simpsons was the perfect commentary for the time, it felt like they were trying hard to stay relevant. And so they do an internet episode not because they understand it, but because it's big and the Simpsons should make fun of the internet!

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Always remember: this is all of us in this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQH2rmQ5-vk

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm not sure I'd agree that it's tied up with them moving away from a realistic, down-to-earth show to one that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots, or whatever. Some of the golden era's best and most memorable episodes are built on totally zany plots. Homer going to space? loving gold. And that even had celeb cameos. Which were some of the best parts.

I think it's more just that they stopped working so hard and so diligently at being funny. Once I found myself not thinking back over an episode and giggling again at all the things that had made me burst out laughing in the moment, it stopped being special.

Success just made them complacent, and then there was no getting that energy back because why bother if the paychecks and renewals keep coming?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think the shift towards the more fantastical represented a change in the shows and its tone.

I think the examples we can think of where it worked were episodes that weren't the norm and worked because Homer was still an every-man. It also worked because the tone of the show was always a little off the beaten path, so it's not impossible to do.

But after Homer becomes a monorail driver, you have him go to college and deal with the temptation to cheat on his wife. These are relatable stories. But at some point, Homer is this guy hob-knobbing with celebrities, starting businesses that get the ire of Bill Gates, and every week getting into some crazy new hijinx, and at some point, the deviations become the norm. Astronaut Homer is funny when you take normal everyday Homer and shoot him into space, but when its Homer, the guy who constantly interacts with celebrities, it feels different.

All of this is a long-winded way of saying tone is hard. When the show started to slip, it was because they couldn't manage that tone they created anymore - a world that was very warped with characters who were equally warped but still relatable. It's a hard act.

It reminds me of Newsradio. The first four seasons are some of the best television out there, but season 5 sucks. And one of the things that happened was that in season 5, the show lost the ability to balance its very silly side and just got goofy and ridiculous. That wasn't the sole thing. The death of Phil Hartman and the impact that had on the cast probably was a bigger factor, and the stuff happening with three production of the show and the tensions with the network didn't help either. But what it lead to was a show that just went too far into the ridiculous.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I mean, look at Arrested Development. The first three seasons were pinnacles of great television with razor-sharp writing, hilarious jokes, and elaborate call-backs and call-forwards.

Then a lot of the same people did [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sit_Down,_Shut_Up_(2009_TV_series)"]Shut Up, Sit Down[/url], which was awful. And the two seasons of Arrested Development they made for Netflix were mediocre at best. Sometimes you just can't recapture the magic.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

It's also worth noting that Seasons 13-16ish are just dreadful, well beyond what some of the later seasons would be. Part of me wants to blame this on Al Jean, but I don't think it's that simple either. It think that Al Jean was basically just brought in to be a caretaker for the show, and he didn't basically bring a whole lot of his own signature to the show. As such the quality of the Simpsons under his tenure has entirely been on the writers room. I just think Scully assembled a really bad writers room, and Al Jean just sort of ran with it. It's also worth noting that in say season 18 through like the mid twenties, the Simpsons actually improved. It wasn't good again, but a lot of it was just bland and inoffensive.

The last 7 or so years have been exceedingly bad though, and I can't really watch modern Simpsons. Every time I try it is just pain. Even the Futurama crossover was kind of just meh.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think wacky premises are any cause of the decline. Wacky premises work fine. Take all the wackiest episodes of the first eight seasons, put them all in a row and show them to someone who's not seen the Simpsons before and they'll have a great time with some hilarious comedy.

I think if there's any correlation it's that as the writing room became less productive and witty they leaned more on wacky premises to form the basis of plots. Grounded, lifelike comedy isn't inherently funnier, but it shows a lot more if you're bad at it because at least a zany premise can hold attention without actual jokes.

I guess I'm saying they're a symptom of the changing minds behind the show more than anything.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I cast my bid for the way it tells jokes being bad now. It's much too slow, much sloppier and far less trusting of its audience.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Sometimes I see golden era clips where Homer is praising and defending TV, and I feel like it's finally become totally outdated. I get that he's a moron but broadcast TV is just so insanely bad and basically a dying medium these days, it feels quaint. Even now the show itself talks about it with that streaming episode.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

AHH F/UGH posted:

Sometimes I see golden era clips where Homer is praising and defending TV, and I feel like it's finally become totally outdated. I get that he's a moron but broadcast TV is just so insanely bad and basically a dying medium these days, it feels quaint. Even now the show itself talks about it with that streaming episode.

The joke was always that broadcast TV is awful and for idiots. It would be outdated if TV had gotten better. If anything, it's just as apt now as it was back then.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The only reason the show got bad was because it stopped being funny. That's it. You could argue the anti-SJW stuff is a reason too, but the show had been bad for years by the time it really started with that.

Everything else is secondary.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What’s weird perhaps is that it became a phenomenon in its first season without being terrifically funny, at least not the way it was later. The jokes tended to be a lot more esoteric and involved than the rapid-fire gags that came along later. And there was more slow, contemplative stuff in between.

Some of the Simpsons mania in the first few years was that it seemed to keep getting better and better.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's funny how, in art, the sum is very often unequal to its parts. Look at any "supergroup" band. They usually can't help but be "pretty good" because of their raw skill, but they're almost never nearly as good as the best work of any individual member. Take the Traveling Wilburys. On paper, you've got the guy who wrote "Only the Lonely", the Beatle who wrote "Something", a person who wrote "Like a Rolling Stone", another who wrote "Refugee", and someone who wrote "Can't Get It Out of My Head". And yet, together, the best they could do is, "Handle With Care"? "End of the Line"?

Or go watch the documentary about 'The Dana Carvey Show'. Here you have a dozen of the people who would define comedy for the next 20 years all working together on one show, and it loving bombed HARD. Legendarily hard. Bombed so hard that it's bombing is still worth talking about 25 years later hard.

If I were running the Simpsons, I would do the final season as an anthology produced and written by different artists and creators who've been inspired by the Simpsons. Just go hogwild.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 9, 2021

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Data Graham posted:

I'm not sure I'd agree that it's tied up with them moving away from a realistic, down-to-earth show to one that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots, or whatever. Some of the golden era's best and most memorable episodes are built on totally zany plots. Homer going to space? loving gold. And that even had celeb cameos. Which were some of the best parts.

I think it's more just that they stopped working so hard and so diligently at being funny. Once I found myself not thinking back over an episode and giggling again at all the things that had made me burst out laughing in the moment, it stopped being special.

Success just made them complacent, and then there was no getting that energy back because why bother if the paychecks and renewals keep coming?

I can't believe they got former president James Taylor for that episode

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Imagined posted:

It's funny how, in art, the sum is very often unequal to its parts. Look at any "supergroup" band. They usually can't help but be "pretty good" because of their raw skill, but they're almost never nearly as good as the best work of any individual member. Take the Traveling Wilburys. On paper, you've got the guy who wrote "Only the Lonely", the Beatle who wrote "Something", a person who wrote "Like a Rolling Stone", another who wrote "Refugee", and someone who wrote "Can't Get It Out of My Head". And yet, together, the best they could do is, "Handle With Care"? "End of the Line"?

Whoa, this is the Simpsons mock thread. The Bad Opinions thread is over there,

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Imagined posted:

Or go watch the documentary about 'The Dana Carvey Show'. Here you have a dozen of the people who would define comedy for the next 20 years all working together on one show, and it loving bombed HARD. Legendarily hard. Bombed so hard that it's bombing is still worth talking about 25 years later hard.

That show was legitimately very funny though. It suffered from poor marketing and a questionable series introduction sketch (Bill Clinton breastfeeding dogs)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
God, I love Roy Orbison. Stupid thread, reminding me people I like are dead.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm so tired of being lonely
I still have some love to give
Won't you show me that you really care?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Data Graham posted:

If in the golden they wrote a single gag 30 times over and nowadays they write single gag 0,75 times over on average, there's bound to be difference in quality.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I once heard someone on a podcast trying to explain why they think latter day 'Spaceballs' and 'Men in Tights' Mel Brooks wasn't as funny as 'Blazing Saddles' or 'Young Frankenstein', and they called 'Spaceballs' in particular, "First Draft: The Movie".

So I think you're onto something there. If in the early days the funniest writers on tv spent 20 hours a day polishing that poo poo until it shined because they had something to prove, nowadays the fifth funniest writers on the FOX network work strictly 8-5 and don't stress about it too hard.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I do find it weird though to think of Spaceballs as in the low tier along with Men In Tights. I always thought it was way better than that.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I do find it weird though to think of Spaceballs as in the low tier along with Men In Tights. I always thought it was way better than that.

Spaceballs is funny, but Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are perfect. And there's a lot of lazy jokes in Spaceballs. 'Pizza the Hut' is a very first draft joke.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Imagined posted:

'Pizza the Hut' is a very first draft joke.

christ, that joke sucks. hurts my eyes just reading it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Totally agree. It's overrated.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
All the Dark Helmet stuff was gold, but I usually skip over the rest of it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

All the Dark Helmet stuff was gold, but I usually skip over the rest of it.

Yeah the Rick Moranis stuff is great and everything else is meh

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

men in tights is not only great but also the best mel brooks film :colbert:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

men in tights is not only great but also the best mel brooks film :colbert:

:chloe:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'm going to assume this is due to some problematic elements, but this was a movie made in 1993, so that is to be expected

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm going to assume this is due to some problematic elements, but this was a movie made in 1993, so that is to be expected

No I rewatched it recently with a friend who hadn’t seen it (“dude you gotta see this it’s so funny I was cracking up as a kid!”) and yeah it’s just not very good unfortunately

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What episode was it where marge costs homer money and asks if he hates her or something along those lines it's in the good seasons I'm pretty sure

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Endless Trash posted:

No I rewatched it recently with a friend who hadn’t seen it (“dude you gotta see this it’s so funny I was cracking up as a kid!”) and yeah it’s just not very good unfortunately

It had some cute bits and jokes, like the ”Hey Abbot!” guy, but it doesn’t hold a candle to Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles or the other classic Mel Brooks movies.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

What episode was it where marge costs homer money and asks if he hates her or something along those lines it's in the good seasons I'm pretty sure

Isn’t it when they let Maggie keep mr burns bear?

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

it's Bart gets hit by a car because Marge ruins his chances for a big cash settlement from Mr. Burns

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Das Boo posted:

I cast my bid for the way it tells jokes being bad now. It's much too slow, much sloppier and far less trusting of its audience.

That Super Eyepatch Wolf video breaks it down pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk&t=1244s

(unfortunately the blog he cites is apparently a dead link now).

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I saw Spaceballs in theaters along with Men in Tights so I have a little nostalgic soft spot for them both, even though I know they are nowhere near the legends that are Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein or even History of the World: Part 1.

Pretty sure I also saw Dracula: Dead and Loving It and instantly forgot about it once I left the theater. It’s a Bram Stoker’s ‘Dracula’ spoof and... ... ... ...??

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

You Are A Elf posted:

Pretty sure I also saw Dracula: Dead and Loving It and instantly forgot about it once I left the theater. It’s a Bram Stoker’s ‘Dracula’ spoof and... ... ... ...??

When I was a kid I went to see it in theaters. I used the bathroom, and when I was walking back, the person I went with looked not one of the other theaters, and asked me if I wanted to just sneak in and watch the rest of Jumanji instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hey, it has that gag where they're driving the stake in and a ridiculous amount of blood comes out. That's a good gag, which is one more than the last decade of the Simpsons has had.