Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Since starting building with stone it's been a real pain in the arse to deal with rooves due to the half spacing that stone introduces. How the hell do you guys cope with the half spaces that stone walls introduce? I find that I build a structure, put a roof on, build an adjoining one and because of the single stone block between them the rooves cannot align and it gets messy.
Overlapping generally. Also, most of my structures tend to be a low-level stone for the first "story" and wood above that. Stone towers get roofed with wood pillars/walls holding up the top. Basically, my stone usually doesn't encounter my roofs, and when it does it just gets overlapped a lot.

Still holding out for sod roofs in the next update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

If you don't have a portal to your main base while mining im not sure why you would put that hate on yourself.

My server we have large main base but recently built a largish manufacturing base on a plains island 20ish sailing minutes away from the main base that is located between some giant islands with all biomes. Sailed over to one of the mountains and I built a log cabin with a portal to the manufacturing center. Beds are 2 loading screens away if you die on the mountain. All coal is imported from the main base which is also next to the wood source forest. It works great as barley can only be grown in the plains and we didn't want to deal with finding space for new kilns.

I pretty much treat portals as instant doors and you should to. While the bases are far apart geographically they are all part of the same base in my mind bc the portals are just doors that take 3 secs to open.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Floppychop posted:

I think all the crypts are in their own separate "world". I was clearing one while a friend was clearing a different one and I could hear his pickaxe and could see his icon.

Actually all dungeons are very high up in the sky surrounded by a black box. That's why your position on the map is technically correct while you're in them, you're just very very very very high up in the air. They're all on the same height though so that's why you could hear the friends crypt noises.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I hate the swamp so much that I just cheated in a bunch of iron. Doing anything in the swamp just feels like work.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I would have done the portal thing sooner if I hadn't dramatically overestimated the likelihood of random mobs tearing down your poo poo.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The nice thing about them tearing down your poo poo is that you don't LOSE anything except the time it takes to rebuild even if it does happen, which if its just a portal is like a second.

* unless it's a boat of course

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I think I'd like to see a feature where you can fast travel between two points, with any item, if there is a road connection between the locations.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Sometimes mobs tearing down the base can lead to discoveries. Our mountain cabin area appeared to be tapped out with 4 veins of silver but while my buddy was online when I wasn't on (I run the server) some drakes destroyed the teleported which was on a 3rd floor deck. This led to him being stuck up there until I saw his text asking for the teleporter name. While stuck he accidently.found 2 more silver veins we missed ! We would have left that poo poo if the portal didn't get destroyed and he was stuck for 20 mins

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Just had to reload a backup save from February because I'd lost one of our bases. Like, I couldn't remember the portal tag and I also couldn't find it on the map, even after sailing around the area for a while. How do I even manage to survive in this game.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm late to the mods party, but man I love this:
Bigger Minimap Discovery Radius

7x map reveal radius for boats means the map reveals just as far as I can see on the default 'high' graphic setting draw distance. I can reveal shores from my boat without having to skirt the shoreline to get the map to reveal that yes, there is in fact land RIGHT THERE.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Since starting building with stone it's been a real pain in the arse to deal with rooves due to the half spacing that stone introduces. How the hell do you guys cope with the half spaces that stone walls introduce? I find that I build a structure, put a roof on, build an adjoining one and because of the single stone block between them the rooves cannot align and it gets messy.

Try the Precise Rotation mod. Lets you rotate on all axes and set the rotation increment value.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Sanctum posted:

I'm late to the mods party, but man I love this:
Bigger Minimap Discovery Radius

7x map reveal radius for boats means the map reveals just as far as I can see on the default 'high' graphic setting draw distance. I can reveal shores from my boat without having to skirt the shoreline to get the map to reveal that yes, there is in fact land RIGHT THERE.

But how will you get oneshot by a mosquito because you sailed just a little too close to the shore? It's a rite of passage man!

Related:

https://i.imgur.com/81Wsepj.mp4
Good one skeeter.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 10, 2021

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Achtane posted:

I hate the swamp so much that I just cheated in a bunch of iron. Doing anything in the swamp just feels like work.

Did you make some poison resist potions? Because those help so much in the swamp.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I haven't seen a sea serpent yet but I found a giant turtle. Are serpents really rare or have some condition to appearing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They have set spawn points and I think more readily spawn at night. So once you see one you can sort of farm them, just sail through that area whenever you're on a boat.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
They also only spawn in areas explicitly marked Ocean, which is fairly far away from any shorelines. It is pretty easy to be in spaces where you can't see any shoreline, but for whatever reason they're marked as Meadows or Black Forest or Plains.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

accipter posted:

Did you make some poison resist potions? Because those help so much in the swamp.

I just spent 3 hours trudging through swamps. Guess how many crypts I found! (the answer is zero)

So we switched to working on the tree house, and god drat is this game pretty sometimes.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 10, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Achtane posted:

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
There's a tipping point where that growth stops and monotony begins.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So I want to play this game with other folks but I've yet to convince my friends to join me in Viking Minecraft. Are there any Goonfriendly servers that would like my charm, good looks, and utter willingness to chop wood all day like a boring chud?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

So I want to play this game with other folks but I've yet to convince my friends to join me in Viking Minecraft. Are there any Goonfriendly servers that would like my charm, good looks, and utter willingness to chop wood all day like a boring chud?

https://discord.gg/QeFRHtjw
Come join us.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Chopping wood is so relaxing to me.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Invite link invalid :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

https://discord.gg/9s7MB5KU6w

This one should last a while.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

https://discord.gg/9s7MB5KU6w

This one should last a while.

Thanks, I just copied the old one.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

accipter posted:

I am Salty that the resist poison potions have to be preventitive and do nothing retroactively

Trivia posted:

There's a tipping point where that growth stops and monotony begins.

It's always a thing with games that you spend dozens if not hundreds of hours in-- at some point all the things that seemed like minor nitpicks early on just add up into glaringly unfun poo poo later. It always speaks well to games that hook me for that long that they managed to hook me for that long in the first place, but I'm not going to feel bad about modding out things that I only begrudgingly dealt with during my initial playthrough so I can focus on the gameplay aspects I actually enjoy, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone else that even if the stuff I enjoy is the stuff they hate and vice versa.

incuus
Apr 29, 2008

Xanderkish posted:

Hah, what a small world running into you after all these years man.

Also I have a Valheim server up but it’s not super active since most of us beat the final boss so you might have better luck with the goons.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I am Salty that the resist poison potions have to be preventitive and do nothing retroactively

Well it did say RESIST poison. You can't take a vaccine after you already got sick. You cant put on a bulletproof vest after you already got shot. From a game design standpoint, it makes the entire poison mechanic so utterly non-threatening that having it only be preemptive is balanced. On the bright side, a heal would only remove that 1 time you got poisoned. The resist potion makes everytime you get poisoned for 15 whole minutes a non threat. I'm sure the types of players who end every final fantasy game with every elixir they picked up the entire game hate the idea of preemptive medicine tho.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Blaise330 posted:

Well it did say RESIST poison. You can't take a vaccine after you already got sick.

cut to me running into the swamp while premptively chain-chugging antivenom for every species of snake that might live in it just in case

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

cut to me running into the swamp while premptively chain-chugging antivenom for every species of snake that might live in it just in case

:lol:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I mean, if you have a magic antivenom that one dose works for every species of snake, why not?

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

There are some stupid things to complain about.

For me, it's dealing with literally 40 Greydwarfs while I'm trying to smelt overnight because I refuse to sleep.

xainlich
Dec 31, 2004
Yeah, this game isn't too kind to the insomniacs that want to work through the night...especially since I set up my main base in Black Forest playing solo. Good way to farm some resin, though!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They've based the AI on the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.

Just build a wall, if they can't see you you don't exist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or walk out and cut them all down because you severely out gear them an it's fun to be OP.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Someone's made some pretty nice posters based on the biomes

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtofAlexChen

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Azhais posted:

They've based the AI on the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.

Just build a wall, if they can't see you you don't exist.

I will convince them that they've already eaten me and should piss off!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zaffy posted:

There are some stupid things to complain about.

For me, it's dealing with literally 40 Greydwarfs while I'm trying to smelt overnight because I refuse to sleep.

Why wouldn't you sleep, and thus speed the smelting?

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

Why wouldn't you sleep, and thus speed the smelting?

You can keep filling them when one pops out!!

I told you it's stupid things we are complaining about! Like resist potions work before you get poisoned! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Get the mod that smelts from chests into chests