Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The folds on HHH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nick Jr. Face posted:

In 2017 we were supposed to get Jinder/Brock at Survivor Series in a Universal vs WWE Champion match but IIRC someone (possibly Brock?) called an audible, so roughly a week or two before the PPV, Jinder dropped the title to AJ Styles in the UK at either a house show or SmackDown taping, and his push was killed dead.

He was subsequently given a gimmick as a yogi IIRC, doing heelish poo poo like approaching a frustrated worker backstage and offering to teach them meditation and breathing exercises to help calm them down. I vaguely recall he won the US title off of Orton around this point too, and then he got injured.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jinder isn't good at many things, but beating randy orton is one of the few he is good at.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
this was at a show IN india too right?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Seams posted:

this was at a show IN india too right?

The HHH v Jinder match, IIRC did happen during the India tour in 2017 as the headline match, which is not unusual. Wrestlers used to often headline shows that take place in the country they’re billed from. I’ve heard HHH and Tajiri had some good matches in Tokyo on WWE tours in the early 2000s, for example.

I remember reading Jinder won the belt for that tour, but dropped the belt before it even happened. I don’t know if it’s accurate, but it’s definitely the funnier option.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 10, 2021

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

basically right near the end of jinders reign, brock really wasn't interested in working with the guy for survivor series (because they MUST do champion vs champion every year) and they figured out that the social media and youtube hits jinder was getting was from clickfarms and not actually being super hot in India.

the combination of both these things made it real easy for them to just move the belt onto AJ who would belt pillow for the next 12 months

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

All the same if they ever make a methodone for people high on their own farts HHH should be in the test group.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

basically right near the end of jinders reign, brock really wasn't interested in working with the guy for survivor series (because they MUST do champion vs champion every year) and they figured out that the social media and youtube hits jinder was getting was from clickfarms and not actually being super hot in India.

the combination of both these things made it real easy for them to just move the belt onto AJ who would belt pillow for the next 12 months

IIRC, ratings and network subscriptions plummeted when he won the belt too.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JOHN CENA posted:

basically right near the end of jinders reign, brock really wasn't interested in working with the guy for survivor series

It will never cease to amaze me that Brock Lesnar is legitimately one of the smartest men in the business.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

shocked that wrestling fans in india didn’t immediately lose their poo poo and tune in in their billions for a canadian nobody who happens to have indian heritag

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Vagabundo posted:

The HHH v Jinder match, IIRC did happen during the India tour in 2017 as the headline match, which is not unusual. Wrestlers used to often headline shows that take place in the country they’re billed from. I’ve heard HHH and Tajiri had some good matches in Tokyo on WWE tours in the early 2000s, for example.

I remember reading Jinder won the belt for that tour, but dropped the belt before it even happened. I don’t know if it’s accurate, but it’s definitely the funnier option.

oh for sure, I just think its very funny that they had their big Indian star who they gave a long title run to in order to get into the Indian market do the job and then bow to HHH in India.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It doesn't help he was a chickenshit heel sacrificing two other Indian guys to get underhanded wins.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 10, 2021

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

jesus WEP posted:

shocked that wrestling fans in india didn’t immediately lose their poo poo and tune in in their billions for a canadian nobody who happens to have indian heritag

Also he very clearly has a Sikh heritage when Sikhs are routinely mocked in Indian popular culture.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Also he very clearly has a Sikh heritage when Sikhs are routinely mocked in Indian popular culture.

Whats the deal with this? Hindu nationalists got their claws in that tight?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

This is hilarious. Who was clickfarming Jinder if Indians didn't care about him?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lamuella posted:

At a national level the existence of the National Wrestling Alliance enabled this to work. You were the affiliate for a particular region and nobody from the NWA would run shows in your area as long as you didn't run shows in theirs. Along with this, by being an NWA affiliate you got to book the world champion and world tag champions on your show which boosted your attendance.

People did press their luck with this in terms of who ran shows where and how the champions were booked, but in general that was the cartel approach.

And of course you got "outlaw" shows running all over the place, but working one of those shows could hurt your chances of doing well on NWA shows.

Which is not to say people who worked on outlaw shows didn't have quite the pedigree. Randy Savage's dad Angelo Poffo started ICW when he didn't think he or his boys were getting pushed enough. It was running against Nick Gulas and Ron Fuller's territories which certainly took some gumption, I'm sure. When ICW finally went under it got bought up by Memphis and we had the Savage-Lawler feud which is quite possibly the reason we care about Randy today because that was his springboard.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Lamuella posted:

At a national level the existence of the National Wrestling Alliance enabled this to work. You were the affiliate for a particular region and nobody from the NWA would run shows in your area as long as you didn't run shows in theirs. Along with this, by being an NWA affiliate you got to book the world champion and world tag champions on your show which boosted your attendance.

People did press their luck with this in terms of who ran shows where and how the champions were booked, but in general that was the cartel approach.

And of course you got "outlaw" shows running all over the place, but working one of those shows could hurt your chances of doing well on NWA shows.

There was also the threat if other people tried to run a wrestling promotion in an established nwa territory they can bring everyone in make a supercard and swamp them.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Dawgstar posted:

Which is not to say people who worked on outlaw shows didn't have quite the pedigree. Randy Savage's dad Angelo Poffo started ICW when he didn't think he or his boys were getting pushed enough. It was running against Nick Gulas and Ron Fuller's territories which certainly took some gumption, I'm sure. When ICW finally went under it got bought up by Memphis and we had the Savage-Lawler feud which is quite possibly the reason we care about Randy today because that was his springboard.

Wasn't there a story that Randy pulled a gun in the parking lot during one of the outlaw shows when other wrestlers showed up? Parking lots outside rasslin shows are VERY dangerous.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

IMO Jinder/Brock could've been a lot of fun, a subversion of the tiresome match booking Jinder would have every time (Bollywood Boyz interference, doyyyy distraction into a bad finisher, pin) because Brock would've murdered everyone. A weird part of me is bummed we never got to see it, though AJ/Brock was fine.

I'm also sad we never got a Brock/Fiend/Cole triple threat in '19.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

Wasn't there a story that Randy pulled a gun in the parking lot during one of the outlaw shows when other wrestlers showed up? Parking lots outside rasslin shows are VERY dangerous.

Sort of! There's two different stories (one of which has at least two endings) although it was more Randy looking to start something than defending himself. Here's a link to it:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1374417-pro-wrestling-shoots-and-street-fights-randy-savage-pistol-whips-bill-dundee

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Grey posted:

This is hilarious. Who was clickfarming Jinder if Indians didn't care about him?

Me

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We just really like Cobra Clutch slams, okay?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

IMO Jinder/Brock could've been a lot of fun, a subversion of the tiresome match booking Jinder would have every time (Bollywood Boyz interference, doyyyy distraction into a bad finisher, pin) because Brock would've murdered everyone. A weird part of me is bummed we never got to see it, though AJ/Brock was fine.

I'm also sad we never got a Brock/Fiend/Cole triple threat in '19.

Imagine how badly Brock could toss the Bollywood Boyz around after we saw what Orton did to them

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

The Grey posted:

As far as I know, just WWE or someone else who wanted their general social media numbers to be big. They just didn't realize those clicks had to come from somewhere.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Sort of! There's two different stories (one of which has at least two endings) although it was more Randy looking to start something than defending himself. Here's a link to it:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1374417-pro-wrestling-shoots-and-street-fights-randy-savage-pistol-whips-bill-dundee

Savage was insane. There is also a story about him starting a fight at a Waffle House, which ended with him being bitten by a police dog. Savage also got caught shoplifting while in ICW, but there are varied stories of whether he was that broke and hungry or if he was doing it because any publicity is good publicity.

LionYeti posted:

There was also the threat if other people tried to run a wrestling promotion in an established nwa territory they can bring everyone in make a supercard and swamp them.

Nothing made the territories band together like a good ol' promotional war. When Ray Gunkel died and half the talent sided with his widow, Ann Gunkel, she formed a separate promotion (All-South) in Georgia that split from Georgia Championship Wrestling. All the rest of the NWA promoters came together, buried the hatchet and ran a bunch of supercards to drive the Gunkel group out of business.

Lamuella posted:

World tag was not centralized. A bunch of promotions had their own world tag champs. World Junior Heavyweight was a main office belt when it was considered a major division.

To expand a bit on territories on how they worked.

Memphis switched its affiliation to AWA when it didn't think it was getting enough dates or attention for world title chances. Bill Watts' Mid-South was not an NWA member, but went to several annual meetings and got NWA world champion dates.

Everywhere in the US, most of Canada and parts of the Caribbean had NWA affiliations at one time or another.

Carlos Colon promoted Puerto Rico. Victor Jovica ran events in Barbados, Trinidad and the Dominican Republican, among other island areas. The NWA was also cool with New Zealand, Singapore and Malaysia, where Steve Rickard promoted. Australia was not getting NWA world champion dates in the 1980s, but imported some big names during the 1950s-70s and occasionally exported one back, such as Bill Dundee. All Japan had working agreements with the NWA. New Japan was later more closely affiliated with WCW.

Back in America, territories came and went. Some were able to promote for decades. Others fell because of financial issues out of their control, McMahon's national expansion or their own issues.

Many promoters had working agreements with one another, beyond the usual NWA bond. Mid-Atlantic had working agreements with Toronto (which later was sold to WWF) and Georgia. The WW(W)F had a quiet working agreement with Florida. Portland was considered a separate territory from its eastern neighbors in the 1950s, but Tri-State and Portland essentially functioned as one massive territory. Idaho never could make much money, though, and was all but dead at the end of the 1950s.

Cities could change hands at territory borders. Both Tri-State and Stu Hart's Stampede tried booking Montana. Hart had slightly more success. Chattanooga was part of Nick Gulas' Nashville territory, but when Jerry Jarrett and Gulas split (and Gulas went under), Chattanooga went to Georgia. Georgia didn't have much luck with Savannah and let Mid-Atlantic take it over in the 1970s.

Ric Flair and Blackjack Mulligan briefly gave promoting a try in the 1970s with a few Tennessee and North Carolina towns that were going unused. No one had an issue with them doing so. El Paso was controlled by a few promoters, then became more or less its own thing.

ICW was mentioned earlier as a prominent outlaw territory. The NWF was a major one in Ohio and even crowned their world champion. The Carolinas briefly dealt with one in the 1970s. Then you had Jack Pfefer running around.

Pfefer, who started out as totally legit (and helped promote Buddy Rogers) is mostly known for traveling the country with soundalike names. Instead of Bruno Sammartino, he had a Bruno Sa[b]nmartino. Bobo Brazil? No, Pfefer has a Hobo Brazil. Pfefer also tried to coerce a few promoters to work with him, lest he go to the newspapers and expose how the business worked.

Not all non-NWA promotions were outlaws. Several in the New York/Boston/Philadelphia area peacefully coexisted with the WWWF. There was a Jacksonville FL-based organization in the late 1950s that promoted Florida and Georgia cities that neither state promotion cared to promote at the time.

I haven't touched on television.

Television also helped keep the territories because from the 1950s until TBS, you didn't have national wrestling, except for a stray segment or two here and there, such as former Olympian Chris Taylor starting to wrestle for the AWA. Over the air signals weren't strong, so territories could either have a number of studio wrestling shows in different towns, or, as videotape became more viable, could "bicycle" the tapes. Bicycling was sending out your main studio show tape to different stations in your area, some getting it later than others. That was one of the challenges of Mid-South, with Watts having to remember which town had seen which tape when and sometimes having to tweak house show lineups to fit that.

TBS came along, which changed the dynamics in favor of Georgia. Through early nationwide cable, its signal went everywhere and Georgia could get agreements with other promoters for their wrestlers to be seen this way.

Exposure was another working agreement between promoters.

Flair started being sent out to other NWA promotions in 1976, shots here and there. It was to see if he was world champion material and able to get over with different types of audiences. Flair was on the WWWF MSG card in 1976 where Sammartino broke his neck through this type of agreement.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there a good place to read about Ann Gunkel? Her story sounds fascinating and I don’t know much past what was posted above.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I've got a dim memory of either Sting tossing a bat to DDP or the other way around. like, I do not remember the specifics beyond 1) it being cool as hell and 2) it wasn't the night Sting used his rope thing to rapture DDP out from ringside. does anyone know what I'm talking about here?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Karma Tornado posted:

I've got a dim memory of either Sting tossing a bat to DDP or the other way around. like, I do not remember the specifics beyond 1) it being cool as hell and 2) it wasn't the night Sting used his rope thing to rapture DDP out from ringside. does anyone know what I'm talking about here?
I do, it was at the Nitro after the PPV where DDP and Savage had their first ever match together (I want to say Spring Stampede). The funny thing is that DDP was selling a shoulder injury by having his arm in a sling, but as soon as Sting tossed him the bat he caught it with said arm which was suddenly okay.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I remember it being like a no look bat toss and DDP reacting like he knew it looked rad, and he was right

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

JOHN CENA posted:

I really hate the brand vs brand poo poo being the whole main point of survivor series in recent years. Just guarantees a card full of matches with absolutely no meaning or consequence behind them. "Team smackdown wins!" uh, so? And the champ vs champ stuff means you need to have a champion lose just because it's november.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Is there a good place to read about Ann Gunkel? Her story sounds fascinating and I don’t know much past what was posted above.

This seems to be a pretty good write-up.

The end of the article links to a compilation of ASWA results. Angelo Poffo joined up with Gunkel in late 1973 and were there until the end. Randy and Lanny both wrestled some of their earliest matches for the promotion.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dawgstar posted:

It's tricky because it's become increasingly clear that we don't have anything resembling the real story. The non-NWA side was that the surviving ABC Booking shareholders conspired at Ray Gunkel's funeral to reincorporate as a new company, Mid-South Sports (eventually Georgia Championship Wrestling, not to be confused with Bill Watts' Mid-South Sports) with her left out. But...the business records on record with the state of Georgia show that she incorporated Gunkel Enterprises a month before Mid-South Sports was incorporated.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Ron Fuller's version tracks a lot closer to what the public records show, but I kind of doubt that the other ABC partners were just completely blindsided by Ann unless Ray was planning the split before his death.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

thanks for the territory explanation and info y'all :)

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

TL posted:

How hands-on is WWE in the production of the foreign language feeds of their shows? Knowing how big Vince is on screaming in the ears of his announcers, is there anything in place to do the same to the other languages? Or, is there more emphasis on having it come across the way WWE wants it to on, say, the Hindi broadcast (being that India is a huge market for them) than the Russian one?

The Spanish announcer team called Mason Ryan "Batista II", and the night of The Shield's surprise debut jumping from the crowd to attack whoever it was at the end of a PPV(?) the Spanish announcers called them The Sheild before they officially debuted with that name the next night

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
It used to be that one thing you could count on for WWE was to give everyone a superstar entrance. It wasn’t a 100% success rate but usually most people had really distinct entrance music, there’d be a stinger to trigger a crowd pop and a memorable rhythm afterwards. But this seems to be gone now, no one seems to have music that makes them stand out. This isn’t really a criticism of WWE solely because even AEW’s themes don’t land the same way and that’s kind of due to their sound mixing.

What/why isn’t there a focus on the entrance music anymore?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It used to be that one thing you could count on for WWE was to give everyone a superstar entrance. It wasn’t a 100% success rate but usually most people had really distinct entrance music, there’d be a stinger to trigger a crowd pop and a memorable rhythm afterwards. But this seems to be gone now, no one seems to have music that makes them stand out. This isn’t really a criticism of WWE solely because even AEW’s themes don’t land the same way and that’s kind of due to their sound mixing.

What/why isn’t there a focus on the entrance music anymore?

Turns out Jim Johnston was just really good at his job

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I often wonder if the the foreign announce team has a heel/face dynamic like JR and King had during the attitude era

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
On the topic of the territories and TV, there's a really big what-if surrounding the aftermath of Black Saturday.
Mid-South Wrestling got shown on TBS in 1985 because Ted Turner was getting real mad about WWF not keeping their promises about the content of the show they would be airing and was one of the highest rated shows (or possibly their #1, I forget) shows. Bill Watts was in position to take over that 2 hour time slot that WWF was currently occupying with wrestling that people didn't want to see.
Except what happened is that Jim Barnett (the former Georgia Championship Wrestling promoter who had sold the timeslot to WWF/Vince in the first place) was working for WWF at the time and made a deal happen between Vine and Jim Crockett to sell the TBS time slot to JCP.

So we could have had a world where Mid-South/Universal Wrestling Federation would be the main promotion going against WWF.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Manwithastick posted:

I often wonder if the the foreign announce team has a heel/face dynamic like JR and King had during the attitude era

poo poo, now I'm picturing Hugo Savinovich being a Hispanic Lawler, shouting "¡cachorras!" incessantly every time a woman was within 50 paces of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MrBling posted:

Black Saturday.

Wasn't the programming broadcast also some real low-effort poo poo as well? Would things have gone differently if there'd been real effort put into the broadcast, with matches geared to appeal to the GCW fanbase?