Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

This is like the Swedish bookstore scene in Top Secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SubNat posted:

I mean, if there aren't sufficient restrictions, and windmills are built close enough to housing, so that the shadow from them get cast over houses. (for example, late/early in the day, or during winter etc, depending on the latitude.)
Then the shadow flickering they can cause could absolutely drive people loving mad and damage their quality of life in a uniquely specific way. (A neighboring building has a flag that does something similar to my windows for a couple minutes every evening for a while every spring and fall, and I loving hate it.)

ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQksc1-5Zoc

But most complaints against them tend to be along the lines of 'it ruins our view', if they're within sight range of people.

That happens for a small portion of the year and within that a small portion of the day.

I’m not going to say that no one has a legitimate issue with wind turbines, but that particular example is overblown.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Platystemon posted:

That happens for a small portion of the year and within that a small portion of the day.

Localized entirely within his kitchen?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Much better to have sunlight filtered through the fumes of a smokestack

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I got to do a dirt bike race where part of the course was up on a hill around the base of some wind turbines, pretty cool, but the shadows racing up behind you makes it feel like another rider's gaining on you at about 100mph.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Go faster, so you're overtaking the shadows

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Instructor Unconscious During Student Flight

quote:

This is a happy-ending story of an Australian student suddenly finding himself in command of the training aircraft. He had less than three hours flying experience and this was his first time in a Cessna 152, a single-engine light aircraft popular with flight schools for training. That day, his instructor took him flying in the local area to practise climbs for half an hour.

On the way back to Jandakot airfield, the instructor had a seizure and lost consciousness. The student immediately contacted Jandakot tower to declare an emergency.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnWfgHAdajo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clvRoBDOk3w&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tyAov3XZZ4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/6vzDUj4.mp4

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Holy poo poo, that tower controller is amazing. I mean, obviously good on the kid too for keeping a level head though all of that.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Stupidest kitchen injury, go!

I boiled some water in a kettle, set the kettle on the counter, reached over the kettle to get a tea bag, burned the poo poo out of my hand with the steam coming out of the spout. Had the biggest blister I've ever had for a few days and the skin was raw for weeks as it healed. It took about a second.

Pages ago but I had a cast iron in the oven at 500 degrees and grabbed the handle with my bare hand when I went to pull it out. Hurts just thinking about it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Oof I felt that in my hands

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

D-Pad posted:

Pages ago but I had a cast iron in the oven at 500 degrees and grabbed the handle with my bare hand when I went to pull it out. Hurts just thinking about it.

They call that “shaking hands with the devil”.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LifeSunDeath posted:

they tilted every vid just enough to make it looks way way more extreme. It's still extreme but obviously not inverted free climbing extreme like they're portraying it.

Some of them are pretty subtle, if at all, but the last one has some pretty egregious tilts.

You can tell it's tilted when people aren't standing straight up.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah, they may be tilted but I've been down the yangtze/3 gorges area (that's where it looks like to me) and that poo poo is steep as gently caress. I can't imagine doing that with my 5 year old. gently caress that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oof I felt that in my hands

You don't feel that kind of thing in your hands, really. At least that's my recollection from breaking up boulders to get rocks for a retaining wall and having to bust out a concrete driveway by hand after our jackhammer was stolen. I remember each time the sledge/hammer/maul would hit that the shock ran back up through my arms as a jolt. I was going to say "like an impact" but then I realized that's pretty much exactly what it is - the impact of the hammer going back up through my arms.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

very late on kitchen chat but my worst injury will always be fresh in my mind.

i worked in a deli for six years. i'd burned myself, scarred myself, cut off a bit of my thumb (which i reattached with a lot of band-aids and using cooking twine as a tourniquet,) and crushed a few of my digits in doors and stuff. the worst injury was at home though, but it wasn't to my flesh.

i was draining pasta, and scalded my hand with some water. didn't really blister or anything though. just hurt a bit. after that, i was more careful, and it didn't happen again. the problem that i didn't realize i had at the time was that i was pouring all this pasta into a strainer that i would hold in one hand over my sink, but like, pour it all out at once. like it was a race with the devil. and that's how i continued to do it, but i would always position my hand so that i was less likely to splash myself with boiling water. and then, not more than like four years ago, it finally occurred to me that i could just not do it like that. i could loving idk drain pasta slowly, or put the strainer in the sink.

i was draining angel hair the moment this occurred to me, and i just... put my strainer down, walked over to my couch, and sat. i thought about how loving stupid i am. i'm just a loving simpleton. i almost cried, saying that it wasn't fair that i was so dumb.

so my worst kitchen injury was that i am an idiot and i will always be an idiot. thank you.

e: oh and here's an actual contribution

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 10, 2021

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Rainbow Knight posted:

i was draining pasta, and scalded my hand with some water. didn't really blister or anything though. just hurt a bit. after that, i was more careful, and it didn't happen again. the problem that i didn't realize i had at the time was that i was pouring all this pasta into a strainer that i would hold in one hand over my sink, but like, pour it all out at once. like it was a race with the devil. and that's how i continued to do it, but i would always position my hand so that i was less likely to splash myself with boiling water. and then, not more than like four years ago, it finally occurred to me that i could just not do it like that. i could loving idk drain pasta slowly, or put the strainer in the sink.

i was draining angel hair the moment this occurred to me, and i just... put my strainer down, walked over to my couch, and sat. i thought about how loving stupid i am. i'm just a loving simpleton. i almost cried, saying that it wasn't fair that i was so dumb.

Buddy, check this poo poo out:

I hope it makes you feel even more stupidbetter.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Oh thank gently caress, he's at least not busting them with his head anymore.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Ah, this must be how they make compact cars.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

It was either in here or in the Everest thread when it also served as cave diving horrors in the climbing off season. Someone posted a thing that was a bunch of stories of tragedies from the 70s or around then. One was a group of people that swam through an opening into a big underwater cave without a safety line. Then someone kicked up a bunch of dirt and none of them could find the exit.
Reminds me of the cam footage of that Blue Hole diver (Yuri Lipski 2000) who went too deep, panicked and drowned.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

and nerds think that you need H.P. Lovecraft to be afraid of the depths. :gonk:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/s4YWegv.mp4

I like seeing how, regardless of how well you've defeated the weight of those things (rails, cranes), there's still a whole lot of mass to deal with.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Memento posted:

I like seeing how, regardless of how well you've defeated the weight of those things (rails, cranes), there's still a whole lot of mass to deal with.

Wait, they changed out the not rusty bits for rusty bits?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dirk the Average posted:

Wait, they changed out the not rusty bits for rusty bits?

Well, they changed out old worn bits for bits that were brand new but had spent some time in a storage yard, exposed to the elements. A light smattering of surface rust is probably inconsequential for this sort of application, like when the brake rotors on your car get a bit spotty after sitting for a couple of months, and that all goes away the first couple of times you jump on the anchors.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The not rusty bits are worn so much that the wheel running surface profile is concave.

Edit: the blue line is the profile the rusty wheels have, red is about what the worn, shiny ones have:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 10, 2021

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm not used to wear and tear being this shiny, which shows how much experience I have with heavy machinery. :shrug:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
And being concave doesn't just mean "oh it's wearing through and we gotta replace it before it breaks", it means that it doesn't go around corners properly.

On a normal train wheel, when it reaches a corner and the tracks start turning underneath it, the track under the inside wheel moves to the narrow side, and the track under the outside wheel moves to the wider side towards the flange. Since there's a solid axle connecting the wheels, the outside wheel covers more distance with each revolution, causing the train to turn with the tracks.

When the wheel is dished out, it stops doing that, and instead the flange just pushes the wheel around the corner (with one or both of the wheels slipping on the rails as it goes). Which is much less smooth and causes an insane amount of wear to the wheel and rails.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

By popular demand posted:

I'm not used to wear and tear being this shiny, which shows how much experience I have with heavy machinery. :shrug:

Exposed steel is always rusting*, so if it's shiny it means it's recently been either cleaned and oiled, or had the outermost layer worn off.

*stainless steel too, just much more slowly

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

There's a really neat Richard Feynman video about this stuff that I highly recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAwDvbIfkos

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

This is like the time my sister learned that you can just let the shower warm up before jumping in and not have to stand in freezing water for a minute.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I've had more painful/damaging kitchen injuries but by far the dumbest was the time i burned the tip of my index finger and gave myself a huge blister because I took the pan off a gas stove after boiling potatoes, noticed the flame cap was slightly out of place from where I'd cleaned the hob earlier, and just absent mindedly reached down to tap it back into place with my bare hand.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rainbow Knight posted:

very late on kitchen chat but my worst injury will always be fresh in my mind.

i worked in a deli for six years. i'd burned myself, scarred myself, cut off a bit of my thumb (which i reattached with a lot of band-aids and using cooking twine as a tourniquet,) and crushed a few of my digits in doors and stuff. the worst injury was at home though, but it wasn't to my flesh.

so my worst kitchen injury was that i am an idiot and i will always be an idiot. thank you.

Pasta's dangerous and it's how I got my big Kitchen Injury story: making bulk batches of pasta was how I boiled my foot!

Twice!

I used to work at a health food shop that made pre-made meals. So customer comes in and gets a pre-portioned meal ground bison hash or something. In the kitchen we were making this poo poo in bulk and portioning it out obviously. I was the Pasta Guy. Which meant I made pasta in up to 100lb batches the previous night for tomorrow's spaghetti and turkey bolognese. That involved cracking open the boxes, counting out and then opening the pasta bags into giant lexan containers (spread out to avoid clumping) all while filling one cooker with boiling water and the other cooker with an ice-bath to shock the noodles before they're fully cooked.

To get the rice spaghetti out of the cooker we'd have to pour the starchy pasta water out and then move the bucket over about 2 feet to where the actual drain hole was...which was obviously open and a horrible looking trap surrounded by slick pasta starch that threatened to break any wandering ankle because I had to remove the cover to prevent the water from splashing even more. Thankfully that never happened. Partly because I tried to do this late after most of the kitchen crew left so it was just me in the corner with the open ankle-breaking hole.

What did happen was on one shift where I was making over 200 lbs (so 3 batches) I splashed some of that hot pasta water onto my shoe. And by "splashed some" I mean I basically soaked my shoe through with boiling pasta water. I think nothing of it, or more accurately I think "If I don't get this cooker drained and the pasta in the ice bath ASAP I'm gonna be looking at an extra hour here tonight between cleaning and prep for another batch!" when I've already been in the kitchen 10 hours. So I truck on. Shoe's getting hot. Truck on. Shoe's getting really hot. Pasta's in the bath. Oh this is getting spicy! Stir it around and try to tease out any hot spots to prevent them from becoming mush that solidifies into a solid glob. gently caress, ow, gently caress, gently caress, ow!

Finally I hop over to the (empty) manager's table and take my shoe and sock off while holding some ice to it. Ended up with a nasty set of burn blisters on the top of my toes. Then after those healed I went and did it again on the same drat foot...thankfully it was a small load on an easy/low production day so it wasn't as much hot water and I was able to get the pasta saved and my shoe off before I ended up with blisters again.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Car on top was already damaged from the previous bridge, not a problem.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Work shoes, steel toed, sealed to liquids and nonconductive to electricity.
I would have definitely scalded myself without them and the slip resisting soles are great too.

If you work in anything involving hot liquids and your boss doesn't insist on work shoes you should consider quitting. And loving his wife too.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Memento posted:

My favorite part is that gravity appears to be the only fastener they use

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

My favorite part is that gravity appears to be the only fastener they use

That’s 100% correct. Trains would not work properly if the wheels and axles were attached to the cars.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jabor posted:

When the wheel is dished out, it stops doing that, and instead the flange just pushes the wheel around the corner (with one or both of the wheels slipping on the rails as it goes). Which is much less smooth and causes an insane amount of wear to the wheel and rails.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Memento posted:

There's a really neat Richard Feynman video about this stuff that I highly recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAwDvbIfkos

I found a video from the 22nd annual Wheel Rail Interactions Conference where they show this with a small model. Incidentally they also filmed it in a way that makes it look like they're all alone in a conference hall playing with their train wheels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCid4AlHu9A

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/xMoOnC7.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

"but the most important ingredient of all?

pain."

Uthor posted:

This is like the time my sister learned that you can just let the shower warm up before jumping in and not have to stand in freezing water for a minute.

hahahahaha

solidarity! :respek: