Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Toshimo posted:

Big news: The bonuses for regular and knight beacons are different for speed and production. Knight speed are -5% and Knight Production are +5% compared to squares, iirc.

Yeah, I was specifically only using the production knights because of their bonus. But I was using a checkerboard pattern anyway so it's all Knights All Day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pro tip: set up your beacons, then save that as a blueprint to make rebuilds merely "very tedious" instead of "incredibly tedious".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jabor posted:

Pro tip: set up your beacons, then save that as a blueprint to make rebuilds merely "very tedious" instead of "incredibly tedious".

Also, just ctrl-click the bulldozer to clear all the production buildings while leaving the beacons.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Are you guys sure the beacon bonus is multiplicative? I just did a test on a building with a normal production multiplier of 30,324, and production box beacons (+30%), and here's what I got.

e: Efficiency beacons are definitely multiplicative, but it looks like the production ones are additive.

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 9, 2021

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I mentioned this in discord, but I think the yellow glow buildings have turning red when the building is idling would help evaluate production issues. Might be distracting having the buildings 'flash' red/yellow though...

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
I actually like the tearing down and rebuilding aspect to an extent. But I'm also just completely ignoring beacons, which has been mostly fine so far (just unlocked map 2), but I know I'll need to use them eventually for real progress, and then further on down, the eventual endgame math puts it into a similar state as several bad idlers have, where "you use this build, everything else is far too inefficient". Except instead of it being fiddling with a couple knobs and settings to get that setup, it's "there is a nearly infinite possible number of beacon and production layouts" which is just too overwhelming, IMO.

Couple thoughts I have to overcome that and some of the other problems (which hopefully aren't too overhaul?)
-Beacons slots for maps itself. Like Tut island, you can place 3 beacons into slots for example, and those apply to that whole map, 2nd map you can do 5. Then you can still require particular maps to be designed around particular production chains based on what bonus is best for them
-Turn portions of the maps into bonuses for certain tiers and/or items. Like the 3 slot island can boost juice production or speed, the south island can boost Tier 1 somehow, and then different areas of the mainland can boost steel/Tier 2/military units/etc

These would give each map a purpose beyond "place to poo poo out production" and simplify beacons while still making them require some thought in placement. And also reduce the amount of teardown/rebuild since eventually you'll have areas pretty much always filled with particular items. You can still just toss down whatever production you want on places even without bonuses, but even for early on pre beacons, it gives the map a purpose for existing beyond a visual indicator of how much space you have to put things.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I don't mind the rebuild aspect, but I mostly just take the high tier item I'm making, surround it by 8 normal beacons and 8 knight beacons, then just boost up production backwards from there.

I'm liking it, though it doesn't have the ability to go mindless and max everything you want out like most incrementals. Maybe have a "FIX PORBLEM" button on the main screen that just autofills space with items you are in the red for?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Slickdrac posted:

I actually like the tearing down and rebuilding aspect to an extent. But I'm also just completely ignoring beacons, which has been mostly fine so far (just unlocked map 2), but I know I'll need to use them eventually for real progress, and then further on down, the eventual endgame math puts it into a similar state as several bad idlers have, where "you use this build, everything else is far too inefficient". Except instead of it being fiddling with a couple knobs and settings to get that setup, it's "there is a nearly infinite possible number of beacon and production layouts" which is just too overwhelming, IMO.

Yeah the question of "What's the most optimal layout to build X" is next to impossible because you would need to know the speed and production of basically every building, plus what techs you have, plus what relics you have, plus which tiles you have unlocked, etc. Which is not necessarily a bad thing! I'm sure as weeks and months go by we'll figure out some halfway decent general strategies (for example, surrounding my one metal frame building with 8 efficiency beacons has been a godsend and saved me from having to cover my whole tutorial island in iron ore and bar producers).

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Yeah...there's a lot more thinking that goes into playing NGU:I than a lot of other idlers...I don't know that that's a bad thing, but I'm also one of those players that really only tries to check in on an idle game about once a day for 15 minutes or whatever.

So for me the re-jiggering is the point, rather than a chore?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think the non-idleness, the thought parts of NGU Industries are okay and I appreciate having more to do than just tap upgrades, but what I want more than anything is blueprinting/scalability tools.

Like for one I want my beacons to be semi-permanent and not wiped by clearing a map because I generally want to use the same beacon layout every time (because I am extremely bad at optimizing beacon layouts) and then just stick buildings around it. Right now I dedicate a blueprint slot on each map to just an empty beacons layout, but that should be available by default without using a blueprint slot.

Then I'd love to see some kind of like, I don't know what to call it but a system to automate this process:

I place down a blue tron science then use the items/sec chart to add each producing building until they're all blue, so this takes 1 blue tron science, 1 of whatever building, 2 of whatever produces ores for it, 1 of the next whatever, 3 of its producer building, etc - so I build that all out for one blue sciecne, I should be able to just click a button to auto-fill that many buildings again. Beacons make that way harder to do automatically so I don't know what the solution is, but it sucks to then go "okay now I place one more blue science, then 1 of whatever, then 2 of its producer..." again until all my maps are filled up.

I'm not a fan of beacons in general but I'm also not a fan of them in Factorio, it's just one layer of complexity too far for my brain

I really like the game a lot and I think it's pushing the boundaries of idle games in a cool new way, also was a huge Factorio addict for a while so it scratches that itch well. My biggest complaints right now are:

There are way too many researches/upgrades/etc considering they all do the same thing, there are like 12 different research upgrades with 50 levels each for "Tier 1 Meat Buildings have 5% more production". Fewer, more expensive researches, or still having lots but making them all one single research item with 1000 levels instead, would be preferrable

I dig the tear down and rebuild stuff but it just takes so long to rebuild on 3+ maps. Like I started to tear down and rebuild during a 15-min break from work yesterday and I wasn't done by the time my break was over. Maybe let us click+drag a square to place a field of the same building that doesn't actually plop until we let go of LMB. Having to click arrows to switch building tabs kinda sucks especially when you need to place a building, then switch to a different tab to see if you have enough of its contributing resources

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 9, 2021

SterlingSylver
Feb 20, 2007
On Map 3 of NGU:I, and I really enjoy the factory/balancing act of putting factories together. Everything about building stuff and re-jiggering buildings is cool and good, but I'm also not trying to absolutely min-max, just going more by feel. What I'm not 100% connecting with is the other menus. Work orders seems like a really good idea, asking you to change your output from "Research Juice" to "Random Item." I'm not sure that the rewards seem in line with what the effort of re-doing and coming back late to re-re-do everything, but that might pick up. Maybe if there was more user input into what was being asked for and which also impacted

What I really don't get is experiments, which seem to ask me to tear the whole factory down and replace it with...labs that don't do anything and don't interact with the rest of the game? And it's going to take 5 hours? And my reward is maybe +.65% BDSM gain? or a very small efficiency gain? I could run my research factory and get way more, but I need the research stuff to do other things like relics?

I feel like the work orders and experiments should be incentivizing users to have their factory be lopsided. So if I make a lot of extra T2F stuff I can make my work order, and my labs are taking up resources from T3 or whatever. Right now they feel disconnected, especially experiments.

But also this is just 3 days in so who knows?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Like for one I want my beacons to be semi-permanent and not wiped by clearing a map because I generally want to use the same beacon layout every time and then just stick buildings around it. Right now I dedicate a blueprint slot on each map to just an empty beacons layout, but that should be available by default without using a blueprint slot.

Ctrl-left-click on the bulldozer to get rid of everything but the beacons.

SterlingSylver posted:

On Map 3 of NGU:I, and I really enjoy the factory/balancing act of putting factories together. Everything about building stuff and re-jiggering buildings is cool and good, but I'm also not trying to absolutely min-max, just going more by feel. What I'm not 100% connecting with is the other menus. Work orders seems like a really good idea, asking you to change your output from "Research Juice" to "Random Item." I'm not sure that the rewards seem in line with what the effort of re-doing and coming back late to re-re-do everything, but that might pick up. Maybe if there was more user input into what was being asked for and which also impacted

What I really don't get is experiments, which seem to ask me to tear the whole factory down and replace it with...labs that don't do anything and don't interact with the rest of the game? And it's going to take 5 hours? And my reward is maybe +.65% BDSM gain? or a very small efficiency gain? I could run my research factory and get way more, but I need the research stuff to do other things like relics?

I feel like the work orders and experiments should be incentivizing users to have their factory be lopsided. So if I make a lot of extra T2F stuff I can make my work order, and my labs are taking up resources from T3 or whatever. Right now they feel disconnected, especially experiments.

But also this is just 3 days in so who knows?

Yeah, I haven't bothered to do too many work orders yet, I feel like it's something that will be more worth it once all the "easy" research is done, but it feels like you always have a research option available that will give you a better production bonus for less effort these first few days.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Manyorcas posted:

Ctrl-left-click on the bulldozer to get rid of everything but the beacons.

Yeah, I haven't bothered to do too many work orders yet, I feel like it's something that will be more worth it once all the "easy" research is done, but it feels like you always have a research option available that will give you a better production bonus for less effort these first few days.

Work orders can also trap you. Someone else had the same problem as me: They chose "medium" and the size of the work order is basically undoable for at least a few days. Work orders should be locked at the start and unlock as you complete each level. Completing "Tiny" unlocks "Small" etc.

Or they should scale to actually be sized appropriately based on your current level of production. i.e. assume the baseline a medium work order should take 24 hours of current production levels to complete. Going up from there increases the modifier, going down decreases it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Work orders can also trap you. Someone else had the same problem as me: They chose "medium" and the size of the work order is basically undoable for at least a few days. Work orders should be locked at the start and unlock as you complete each level. Completing "Tiny" unlocks "Small" etc.

Or they should scale to actually be sized appropriately based on your current level of production. i.e. assume the baseline a medium work order should take 24 hours of current production levels to complete. Going up from there increases the modifier, going down decreases it.

Medium work orders shouldn't take days. I did a CHONK order as my first one in less than a day. Mediums are usually maybe an hour at full production.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Are there other QoL features obtained later on besides blueprints that help you cut down on the quantity of resetting that needs to be done? Because I feel like blueprints fail at being an actual QoL feature, ironically, since changes to production values from tech invalidate or make blueprints require updating quite often, and more often the higher tier of the item(s) in question are that you saved a factory layout for. Someone said earlier that maybe compressing research levels to the 1-5 range could help, since presumably it'll help cut down on the quantity of map resetting you need to do, and I'd agree.

Maybe as a QoL you could have a thing where you put down a handful of buildings (say, 5 Tier 3 juice makers, or a dozen robot heads) and you click a button and it automatically populates with the number and chain of buildings needed to ensure no negative production, assuming you have the space for it. This alone would speed up resetting considerably, and make it so if Research has pushed you into the red in parts of your production chain you can fix it with a few clicks: Load a Blueprint where you've saved just the end-point production you wanted, then one click on the auto-populate and bam, you're back in business. It'd make blueprints MUCH better since they actually have a permanent use now, rather than something you ALSO need to tweak every time Research has caused new imbalances in your chain.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 9, 2021

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Medium work orders shouldn't take days. I did a CHONK order as my first one in less than a day. Mediums are usually maybe an hour at full production.

They seem to differ a lot. I did medium in 2-3 hours, and thought I'd try tiny one, and that's now gonna take me 10 hours or so.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can recommend upgrading the first relic as far as you reasonably can, it really softens the amount of cardboard and glue you need later on.

Edit: also surrounding Flesh Rockets and Flesh-Assisted Reactive Transport Solutions with as many efficiency beacons as possible.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 9, 2021

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
NUG: Industries

Does anyone else feel like the cost for relic upgrades for tier 3 normal and tier 4 normal is switched? Tier 3 seems much more expensive

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

FailAtMagic posted:

NUG: Industries

:eyepop:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Akratic Method posted:

It's not that big of a boost, mainly because you have to get the "real" Sadistic boost through wishes and quirks (and eventually the best set bonus I've seen so far, which gave +45%PP). That said, lock in your Exile AK with the 24 manual kills and then get into Sadistic as soon as you can for Chonkers, card recycling, and the Sad Troll 2 macguffin boost. And if you're worried about how you'll ever get up to the QP/PP heights required to buy stuff, it's meant to take longer even at the increased rates you can attain, but you'll definitely get up there. I just finished v1 of the second Sad Titan, and I'm at about 200PP/kill, making maybe 12-15M per day. Not totally sure since I tend to spend it in bits as it comes in.

Cheers for that, i just made the jump to sadistic.

I forgot how slow everything got, though i can see the PP/QP upgrades in wishes that i can get relatively quickly.

The reset of my advanced training is a ballache i forgot about. It's gonna take a day or so for that to build up again before i can autokill exile V4.

I've done the first 2 troll challenges but i don't think i've really noticed a difference.

Edit: I've got 25k in QP, what would be the better decision, sinking that all into the improved base PPP quirk or saving up the other ~14k needed for chonkers?

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 9, 2021

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The Troll 2 reward isn't going to help you too much until you finish your Exile manual kills and can forget about building advanced training banks, because what it does (and should probably explicitly say, but whatever) is make Macguffins most efficient at daily rebirths. I've dropped back to dailies because I need to revisit some challenges, and I find I'm getting about +1% relative gain on more or less everything from guffs every time I rebirth now, but it was closer to 5%-10% relative gain right after I earned that bonus. Most of my guff bonuses are above 1000%, my augment speed is more improved by my guff than the hack, etc etc.

Also, my recommendation would be card recycling for mayo (quirk #156). If you have that then I'd say assess how much mayo you're making, and decide whether you can manage an extra 20-30 every third day. If so, get chonkers; if not get the PPP bonus.

dumby
Oct 25, 2007
NGU:I Is there a way to turn off the tooltips? Capslock would be great if it toggled whether or not tooltips pop up, they drive me crazy when I'm trying to build!

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Feels like someone played a lot of Factorio, and I can forsee me falling off for the same reason I eventually gave up on Factorio: too much math.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think I hosed up my ngui upgrades lol. One t4 farts building makes 14.7/m, and with 6 efficiency buildings requires 96 supporting structures to maintain blue. And to support one flesh rocket structure, also with 6 beacons, requires 9 farts buildings. I guess I should stick to upgrades that don't require pink heart juice for a while then.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think I hosed up my ngui upgrades lol. One t4 farts building makes 14.7/m, and with 6 efficiency buildings requires 96 supporting structures to maintain blue. And to support one flesh rocket structure, also with 6 beacons, requires 9 farts buildings. I guess I should stick to upgrades that don't require pink heart juice for a while then.

the good news is you dont need to fully support anything. as long as you have at least one of each intermediate resource required to make something complicated, the resources will eventually trickle up to their intended goal. your UI is going to look like poo poo for a while, but you'll progress just as quickly as if you didnt have any tier 4 upgrades

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's a good point. I'm not sure my OCD can abide it though haha.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

As a huge Factorio and NGU fan, I find industries sits in a weird spot. Reflecting on it, I think one of the big things I miss from NGU is the sense of progression, and of the simple things getting easier via rebirths, beards, NGUs, etc.

I’m on map 3 and I’m still trying to find my way through three pages of upgrades while filling entire maps with glue and cardboard. It just doesn’t feel like I’m any further along than I was when I started.

That feeling of invested progression is what really kept me playing NGU for over a year, and is sorely missed.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Also kind of a weird thing with Research in NGUI is that it feels like you're undermining the feeling of progression with anything above a T1 research. What I mean is T2+ research imposes new burdens on every tier below it, possibly cascading down to T1 being the only thing in the red and substantially so. Yes, there are T1 researches to alleviate it but T1 feels uniquely poorly served by the system and like it's always trying to play catch-up to not have to flood half the map in T1 producers/refiners. So instead of all research feeling like pure progress, everything that boosts T2+ (and now that I think about it, this includes non-research stuff too) comes bundled with a bit of, uhhh, "anti-progress", if that makes any sense? That's the gamefeel to me, anyway.

I should emphasize that this is a "feels" issue (and it's mighty subjective) and mechanically all progress is progress, you're getting more stuff as you move up in Research and the only real hitch is when T1 Research feels a bit lagged behind the rest, causing those T1 map-floods to compensate.

Gonna say again that this

quote:

Maybe as a QoL you could have a thing where you put down a handful of buildings (say, 5 Tier 3 juice makers, or a dozen robot heads) and you click a button and it automatically populates with the number and chain of buildings needed to ensure no negative production, assuming you have the space for it. This alone would speed up resetting considerably, and make it so if Research has pushed you into the red in parts of your production chain you can fix it with a few clicks: Load a Blueprint where you've saved just the end-point production you wanted, then one click on the auto-populate and bam, you're back in business. It'd make blueprints MUCH better since they actually have a permanent use now, rather than something you ALSO need to tweak every time Research has caused new imbalances in your chain.

would go a long way towards making the tweaking/resetting a LOT more bearable, in my opinion.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 10, 2021

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Pink hearts is my roadblock as well.

Ran that overnight with some deficits and was nowhere near what i need for map 3 this morning.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i would like it if beacons did not have a map presence, and instead you could slot each type into a type of building per-map, to have it affect all buildings of that type on the map

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i would like it if beacons did not have a map presence, and instead you could slot each type into a type of building per-map, to have it affect all buildings of that type on the map

That seems like a potentially huge nerf.

I often run with 8+ beacons (4 normal, 4 knight) on one high tier, high input item.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well it's lucky for you i'm not the gamedev then

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Here's a NGUI upgrade I think would be nice:

Be able to name blueprints by clicking on the blueprint icon itself. I sure as poo poo don't remember what blueprint 1 is after a day

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Deki posted:

Be able to name blueprints by clicking on the blueprint icon itself. I sure as poo poo don't remember what blueprint 1 is after a day

Ctrl-click changes the icon on the blueprint to your selected item

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Deki posted:

You can add an icon to a blueprint. I think ctrl click. Check the manual.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
:|

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I feel like that's a question that's been asked a lot on the steam forums for NGUI too, so maybe if you hover over an empty blueprint tile it can tell you that shortcut. Or, in some abstract way that I can't think of a solution for, make the shortcuts page more prominent.

e: same with the shortcut to not bulldoze the beacons when bulldozing the map

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Highlights of upcoming patch:

[BUGFIXES] Resolution panel shows on main menu to help those who start with game window resolution issues
[BUGFIXES] ISOPOD info now properly refreshes when you select a new floor.

[BALANCE] Tronne tier 2/3/4 unlocks are 50-100% more costly.
[BALANCE] Research 63: 20% Metal Frame prod. per level at 25 levels. Changed to give 1% efficiency for 10 levels.
[BALANCE] Reaaaally nerfed the BDSM plant!
[BALANCE] Buffed elementium plant!
[BALANCE] Tutorial Island has more open tiles.

[CHANGE] Relics menu refreshes the left side materials panel every 0.5s now
[CHANGE] When you load the game you will now start on the Building Count + Gain/loss mode
[CHANGE] Tooltips were condensed on the Factory map, and appears further away from the mouse.
[CHANGE] First tutorial section ends by showing you the wtf menu button

you can also shift click blueprints to give them a direct label that then will show on hover

edit: i also think i have an issue of not communicating all the shortcuts that currently exist. cause like 30% of suggestions do seem to be alleviated by " hey use this shortcut that already exists"

something fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 10, 2021

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I think this is the curse of tutorials - if.there's no tutorial I'll go read the instructions, if there is I'll assume the.tutorial covered everything I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I really like games like a dark room/Crank/Armory & Machine 1 and 2, where there's sort of a sense of mystery that you discover as you progress and everything is mysterious and cool. Does anyone have recs for more like that?