Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

Power Perkele

:piaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Vans, not even once:

Never-before-seen ryanrs footage

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-Vxj4YwSY

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Dang you guys really like talking about vans.

https://vimeo.com/40393795

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Edward IV posted:

The reason why Ford doesn't offer the Transit in FWD is likely because there wasn't a big enough business case to justify the cost to do crash, emission, fuel economy, and other testing on the FWD models to Federalize it and able to offer it in the US. Which I think is a valid decision because the majority of Transits are being used to haul equipment or cargo where RWD is better suited and passenger van Transits are almost always used in a commercial setting where the benefits of FWD wouldn't be considered necessary.

There's also the additional logistical overhead of maintaining FWD specific parts since FWD Transits are transverse FWD. I mean yes the rest of the world is getting by with that but I'm sure Ford preferred to not have to deal with it when they launched the Transit in the US in 2013 and tool up for a new platform.

Now you say it, this does seem like the most obvious and sensible reason. To me it's unusual to see a RWD van, but I guess things evolved differently between the US and Europe. It certainly doesn't make sense like you say to homologate a FWD Transit if there's not a sufficient market for it.

You guys in the US certainly love hauling stuff. I've never hauled anything in my life, and I can't recall anyone I know having hauled anything either. Cultural difference, I guess.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Light vans in Europe and pickup trucks in US fill the same niche, i think.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Yassssssss!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sormus posted:

Light vans in Europe and pickup trucks in US fill the same niche, i think.

Pretty much. Trades are switching over to vans here as well from what I can tell.

The other thing is that we tend to drive a lot further than people in the EU - I've heard midwesterners casually say they're driving like, 8 hours tomorrow - because our public transit system sucks and we have a lot more empty land in between our urban centers. I don't think I'd own a truck if I lived in the UK and didn't use it professionally.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Vans have the advantage of (generally) being enclosed. Your items are safe from the elements and other road users are safe from your crap.
I mean a pickup lets you carry loads much larger than the bed, but I wouldn't call that a good thing from what I've seen.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

The other thing is that we tend to drive a lot further than people in the EU - I've heard midwesterners casually say they're driving like, 8 hours tomorrow - because our public transit system sucks and we have a lot more empty land in between our urban centers. I don't think I'd own a truck if I lived in the UK and didn't use it professionally.

I can drive 8 hours and still be in the same loving state. :sigh: Just double checked to be sure. The very first town in NM if you're in El Paso (the furthest west city in TX) is Santa Teresa NM (part of the subdivision my dad lives in is in NM). Just a few minutes shy of 10 hours.

I've taken Amtrak to El Paso from Dallas before.. that was a 26 hour jaunt with an overnight layover in San Antonio. It wouldn't be much better from Austin, it'd still be the same overnight layover. Let me tell you how fun it is to wake up to the THUD and being thrown out of your seat when they're decouping/recoupling cars - they split the train up in SA between east and west.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What is it that they say? 200 years is a long time in America and 200 miles (probably km actually) is a long way in Europe.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

kastein posted:

Pretty much. Trades are switching over to vans here as well from what I can tell.

I find it much easier to drive long distance in the USA than I do at home in the UK.

I thought about it when I was coming down I-80, in a section where it was like 11 lanes across, and I realised it was super relaxed compared to driving at home.

The width of the freeways, the distance between junctions, the seeming lack of lane rules make it much easier to drift along at a set pace for hours at a time. I think it's helped by nearly everyone driving an automatic, mostly on cruise. It makes for a more laid-back experience.

I find UK motorways more competitive, and need one to be much more alert. In my experience drivers on the UK motorways are all over the place, with individuals unable to keep to a constant bloody speed. I put it down to lower prevalence of cruise control, and the lanekeeping rules here where you must pass on the outside. This means that nearby drivers spend their journey leapfrogging each other; speeding up to overtake the person in front then slowing down again when they get comfortable.

STR posted:

I can drive 8 hours and still be in the same loving state. :sigh: Just double checked to be sure. The very first town in NM if you're in El Paso (the furthest west city in TX) is Santa Teresa NM (part of the subdivision my dad lives in is in NM). Just a few minutes shy of 10 hours.

An 8 hour driving time from here gets me to the entirety of England, anywhere in Wales, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Düsseldorf, the entirety of Belgium, Paris and indeed anywhere in the top third of France.

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 11, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's rural vs urban too, cities tend to be jammed up clusterfucks.

The most relaxing phase of my cross-country motorcycle trip was just cruising down TX and NM backroads at 70MPH, nothing but farms for miles, infinite visibility.

Once I descended into the urban hellscape of Phoenix that changed dramatically.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Having done Akron, OH to Orlando, FL in a single trip, I found that infinitely more relaxing and enjoyable than Hadrian's Wall in Cumbria to Bromley, London. The first being 14 hours or so, and 1000 miles, the other being just just shy of 6hrs and 350 miles.

The American drive, mostly along I-77 and I-95 had seemingly changing weather seasons as you leave the Canadian border and arrive at the Tropic of Cancer, along with local flora and fauna on the route covering mountains, forests, deserts, coastline, and swamps. Alternatively, the views down the length of the M1 in England are just overcast farms and grey cityscapes.

Stateside there is less traffic, I was more relaxed, I could actually appreciate the scenery and everything about it, only once getting stressed as I got caught in a big-rig convoy as I was passing the GA / FL border. Had a truck blast it's air horns at me for stealing his drafting spot in a lane change, though possibly my fault as a lack of attention from driving 10+ hours by then.

Though with that said, there certainly are some nice road trips to be had in this EuroTrashLand. I wanna do the NC500 should the quarantine be fully lifted before the end of summer. Driving through the lochs and highlands of Scotland, stopping in towns with populations smaller than 1000 in millenia old taverns and inns would be one hell of an experience. It's just the getting to and from the nice routes that are drag.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

Europe has more than twice the population in almost exactly the same amount of land.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

meltie posted:

The width of the freeways, the distance between junctions, the seeming lack of lane rules make it much easier to drift along at a set pace for hours at a time. I think it's helped by nearly everyone driving an automatic, mostly on cruise. It makes for a more laid-back experience.
This all sounds good until you realize NOBODY is paying attention. If I drove regularly in the US it'd be in a hilux with a rusty exocage. The number of times we got lane-drifted into was just staggering. I never understood why lane keep was a loving thing until I rode in the US.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

STR posted:

I can drive 8 hours and still be in the same loving state. :sigh:

I've got a couple cars like that. :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

I've got a couple cars like that. :v:

The state of disrepair?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

StormDrain posted:

The state of disrepair?

Hell I've got a couple cars where I can drive all day and all night and not even leave my property.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Thats not driving, thats wrenching. :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elmnt80 posted:

Thats not driving, thats wrenching. :v:

Driving yourself to a state of inebriation.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its ken, so more like driving yourself into a frothing rage. :v:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Car troubles? Just take it to your local “Berserk & Tire” repair shop.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

STR posted:

I can drive 22 apparently, Brisbane to Camooweal. There's probably some that'd be over 24 hours like Weipa to Birdsville.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Disclaimer: this is a ridiculous drive and not one anyone would ever really do, and I just searched around to see what I could find that was the longest.

Kununurra to Albany, Western Australia, 36 hours, you'd probably go insane of boredom around half way.

You'd need to go to the Sakha Republic to get a bigger state, but I think most of that has literally no people in it.

edit: haha, Google's driving coverage drops off pretty quickly north of 65°, but apparently the roads in that part of the world are not as good.

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 12, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I think the only way to match that in the US is something like Hyder to Wainwright in Alaska...which google maps refuses to calculate. It's about 2000 miles direct, which is of course not possible.

Edit: I hadn't considered road condition, either.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or fuel availability.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Oh yeah, I forget Alaska has that little tail bit at the bottom. Also, it seems like in order to get from Hyder to Anywhere, you're going through BC

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If I were to maximize actual driving distance in Alaska I'd use the Marine Highway starting from Prince Rupert, get off at Valdez and then drive to Prudhoe Bay. I think that's the best you can do with actual roads.

Half that distance is on a boat but you can technically stay in your car the whole time if you hate yourself

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 12, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Driving across Australia's not worth it:

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

Disclaimer: this is a ridiculous drive and not one anyone would ever really do, and I just searched around to see what I could find that was the longest.

Kununurra to Albany, Western Australia, 36 hours, you'd probably go insane of boredom around half way.

You'd need to go to the Sakha Republic to get a bigger state, but I think most of that has literally no people in it.

edit: haha, Google's driving coverage drops off pretty quickly north of 65°, but apparently the roads in that part of the world are not as good.

I did drives like that with my dad when I was a youngun up from Bunbury (south of Perth) inland to the gascoyne/pilbara. Of course we'd tow a caravan and it was school holidays so it'd usually be a week long trip at least. We'd usually go one way inland and the other way coastal to mix it up.

But yeah it's a long boring drive between somewhat interesting places, rocks, parks, etc.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

LifeSunDeath posted:

Driving across Australia's not worth it:

Thats on the east coast secondry highway near Sydney so driving across country isnt a problem unless you stop at Snowtown.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Drives within Washington, Nevada, and Michigan can marginally exceed ten hours.

Oregon surprises with a little under twelve (NE–SW).

Idaho reaches eleven hours, even with a shortcut through Montana.

Montana itself can run thirteen. Florida is about the same, from Pensacola to Key West.

Texas is twelve wide but thirteen tall.

The length of California is sixteen, from the Oregon border at the Pacific coast to the Colorado river near Yuma. They’re both populated, but lightly. Crescent City to El Centro is more like fifteen.

I think that about covers the contiguous states. Minnesota and Tennessee get honorable mention for not being big rectangles, but they only manage about eight hours.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Corner to corner in Finnmark (the northernmost county in Norway) is apparently about 15 hours if you stay within the border. Cutting through Finland would save about one hour.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 12, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thats on the east coast secondry highway near Sydney so driving across country isnt a problem unless you stop at Snowtown.

C'mon, that place is a barrel of laughs.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
In Ontario, I went from A bit west of Toronto to the Manitoba border, took about 2 1/2 days of driving 8 ish hours a day.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

In Ontario, I went from A bit west of Toronto to the Manitoba border, took about 2 1/2 days of driving 8 ish hours a day.

I always kinda wondered about doing that route. I like to imagine that it's signed as Yonge Street the entire way

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Memento posted:

C'mon, that place is a barrel of laughs.

I hear the bank service is to die for

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Computer viking posted:

Corner to corner in Finnmark (the northernmost county in Norway) is apparently about 15 hours if you stay within the border. Cutting through Finland would save about one hour.

I've done Honningsvåg to Stockholm in one day. 1703 km, 16 hours and 45 minutes. 4 stops. Did it in the manual 1993 BMW 530i Touring I owned at the time, and averaged 1,2L/10km.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

Drives within Washington, Nevada, and Michigan can marginally exceed ten hours.

Oregon surprises with a little under twelve (NE–SW).

Idaho reaches eleven hours, even with a shortcut through Montana.

Montana itself can run thirteen. Florida is about the same, from Pensacola to Key West.

Texas is twelve wide but thirteen tall.

The length of California is sixteen, from the Oregon border at the Pacific coast to the Colorado river near Yuma. They’re both populated, but lightly. Crescent City to El Centro is more like fifteen.

I think that about covers the contiguous states. Minnesota and Tennessee get honorable mention for not being big rectangles, but they only manage about eight hours.

NC is about 10 if you go NE coastal islands to SW corner.