Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

china has moon landing deniers

do they deny that america landed on the moon, or do they deny that china landed on the moon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i don’t know in general, ive just talked to a couple chinese people that said the american moon landings were faked. they had seen a video debunking it on the chinese internet

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
aww thats boring. i was hoping for some super weirdo chinese conspiracy theories about the chinese moon landing. but i assume the government would discourage that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

there’s also a LOT of antivaxxers in china. there’s some kind of idea that in order for a medicine or treatment to have a positive effect, it necessarily must also have a negative side effect. not like a chance of an adverse reaction in some people, but like an integral part of the treatment. if someone doesn’t tell you what negative effects of a medicine will affect you, then there’s this kind of distrust of the whole thing

this is a fairly mainstream, commonly held idea that extends all the way down to taking an occasional aspirin for pain which many people will never do because of a fear of unknown side effects that they aren’t telling you about

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rutibex posted:

do they deny that america landed on the moon, or do they deny that china landed on the moon?

There is huge recurring conspiracy of Moon landing deniers (specially on Tianya.com, don't ask me why). In general Chinese don't believe in conspiracies but this one has life of its own.

The arguments I remember is that essential the success rate for the US all analogue equipments was too high.

And also one of Moon rock NASA gifted to one of the European (Scandinavian?) country turn out to be fake.

And the conspiracy also argues Soviet was also in on the scam because they had the equipment to track. I don't remember what's the explanation to resolve this. I think Russia also sent some unmanned things to Moon? which could be fake?

Anyway half of the replies on these threads just call them crazy so I never bother to fact check myself.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

And also one of Moon rock NASA gifted to one of the European (Scandinavian?) country turn out to be fake.

that’s hilarious

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

fart simpson posted:

there’s also a LOT of antivaxxers in china. there’s some kind of idea that in order for a medicine or treatment to have a positive effect, it necessarily must also have a negative side effect. not like a chance of an adverse reaction in some people, but like an integral part of the treatment. if someone doesn’t tell you what negative effects of a medicine will affect you, then there’s this kind of distrust of the whole thing

this is a fairly mainstream, commonly held idea that extends all the way down to taking an occasional aspirin for pain which many people will never do because of a fear of unknown side effects that they aren’t telling you about

It's not antivaxx though. Chinese just have quality concern of China made vaccine.

There was some bad batch of baby vaccine/fake vaccine news back in around 16, 17. I got called out either on this thread or the GBA thread because I wanted to gave my baby foreign vaccine and therefore I was a hypocrite. In retrospect I shouldn't let my wife bring the kid to HK to take the vaccine shot because GZ had imported vaccine for moderate extra cost anyway and dealing with impolite Hong Kongers was a hassle.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's not antivaxx though. Chinese just have quality concern of China made vaccine.

There was some bad batch of baby vaccine/fake vaccine news back in around 16, 17. I got called out either on this thread or the GBA thread because I wanted to gave my baby foreign vaccine and therefore I was a hypocrite. In retrospect I shouldn't let my wife bring the kid to HK to take the vaccine shot because GZ had imported vaccine for moderate extra cost anyway and dealing with impolite Hong Kongers was a hassle.

idk i think it is. a huge amount of my social circle is right now talking about vaccines for obvious reasons, and there's a lot of them that are skeptical of even biontech and pfizer and whatever else. i know quite a few people skeptical and afraid of getting the hpv vaccine, and people that don't want to vaccinate their kids. it's not everybody sure, but it's a lot more people than i was ever in contact with in america expressing stuff like this

e: also yes i see what you mean too in that there are people ive talked to in shenzhen that specifically want to go to hong kong to get vaccinated for basically anything so the distrust of locally produced stuff is definitely an aspect

fart simpson has issued a correction as of 15:25 on Apr 10, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i find this conversation deeply amusing considering that allegedly chinese people just guilelessly believe everything any communist leader figure tells them because of confucian authoritarianism

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

je1 healthcare posted:

"Hong Kong didn't have universal suffrage under Britain either!" is a common argument, but that's only the case because the CCP repeatedly threatened to invade Hong Kong if they were ever given universal suffrage. Britain did the war math and decided they couldn't defend the city if that happened.

this is an incredibly disingenuous interpretation of events, given that their problem with what the British wanted to do was primarily the part where they wanted to carve a (nominally, under the auspices of the British Empire) sovereign state out of Chinese territory, not the specifics of how that state would govern itself

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

from local social media:

Same thing happened during the Holocaust, nobody was taking action when the Nazis rounded up the Jews, the world only took action when Germany invaded Poland. Hope we wont end up like Poland.

I just hope we aren't modern day Czechoslovakia having no choice but to be annexed back then. Reminds me of a quote I read once: “In the 30s, the pessimists went to New York and the optimists went to Auschwitz.”

To ask the obvious question, wouldn't the Japanese occupation of the Philippines be a more compelling comparison for Filipinos afraid of being invaded by an imperialist Asian power? Why go to 1930s Europe for an analogy when your own country's history has examples of being conquered by foreigner powers already.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
For people who watch think tank videos

I compiled a list of major thinktanks that have good video presence on Youtube.
Here is the list, you can click on them and subscribe individually.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV_ttvzCJJhKApHDB56_DEA/channels

quote:

US Think Tanks
Asia Society, Brookings Institute, Carnegie Endowment, Cato Institute (right), Council on Foreign Relations, CSIS, CFTNI, PIIE (right?) Stimson, Stratfor (for profit), Woodrow Wilson Center
, World Affair Council, Carnegie Moscow Center
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Non US Think Tanks
Brooking India (CSEP), Chatham House - UK, CEPS - Europe
,CVS News - Pakistan, Lee Kuan Yew School - Singapore, Middle Eastern Institute, RUSI - UK , IISS - UK Aus, Siam Society - Thailand (small), International Crisis Group - EU, ORF - India

Here is a playlist that contain all their recent videos, sorted by the published date

Here is the playlist with only Non-US think tanks

It's impossible to make a live playlist that can auto update with newer youtube videos, AFA I can tell. If you want to get new video updates going forward, you can either sub to the channels on your main youtube account, or create a 2nd youtube channel and use it to follow think tank channels exclusively. Yes youtube make it very rear end backward, what can you do.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 23:05 on Apr 10, 2021

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

from local social media:

i love propaganda

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

For people who watch think tank videos

I compiled a list of major thinktanks that have good video presence on Youtube.
thx

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

To ask the obvious question, wouldn't the Japanese occupation of the Philippines be a more compelling comparison for Filipinos afraid of being invaded by an imperialist Asian power? Why go to 1930s Europe for an analogy when your own country's history has examples of being conquered by foreigner powers already.

A couple of things:

* people go for the Czechoslovakia analogy because the perceived slow burn of China slowly encroaching on the South China Sea fits better when compared to the appeasement progression of Austria/Munich/Sudetenland than anything that ever happened with regards to Japan

* there's still a lot of goodwill towards Japan despite our history with them - there's a combination of weeaboo-ism, the idea that Japan is a role model of "what an Asian country could be if only we were governed better", and a lack of perspective with how fascist Japan actually was

* in particular, a lot of people fall into this "two camps" mindset where they think okay, China is bad, and all we need to do is to form SEATO (again) with Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand. Which is completely incoherent when you realize that this would never work exactly because of all of the history between these nations, notwithstanding their contemporary competing interests. Like, before Duterte came along we had incidents where the Philippine Coast Guard was involved in a "warning shots" incident with Taiwanese ships, but that's all been forgotten and trying to point out that Vietnamese ships are also entering Philippine-claimed territorial waters just gets you branded as a whataboutist.

* one reference to Japan that I have seen coming up recently is calling people "modern-day Makapili". In the 1930s, there was a nationalist, proto-populist movement called the Sakdalistas that wanted a program of immediate independence from the US (as opposed to the timed release set for 1945) as well as tax relief and land reform. After the failure of their attempts at winning political office via electoralism, and then a failed uprising, the party went dormant, only for their leadership to revive the movement with a more pro-Japan bent, as was the style of pan-Asianism as a counter to colonialism at the time. This revived movement eventually metamorphosed into the Makapili, which was a group of Filipinos under the banner of this political party that gave direct aid and militant assistance to the Japanese during their occupation of the Philippines. To be clear, this is not something I'd consider to be a good analogy, because people are effectively calling each other Collaborationists if you're not towing the line on China being an imperialist warmonger that wants to conquer the Philippines, with Duterte as their running dog.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
what's the class basis of this current? where in the country are they concentrated or are they spread all over? their views toward the U.S.?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

what's the class basis of this current? where in the country are they concentrated or are they spread all over? their views toward the U.S.?

most of the impressions I'm posting are from people in the vaguely liberal "middle-class". The sorts of people who have been begging for the US to come back now that Biden is back in power, think that poor people should be disenfranchised because they allegedly were the ones that put Duterte into power in the first place, lack a class analysis because they think it's Facebook targeted ads that caused the Liberals to lose in 2016, will decry the police when they shoot activists while talking about how "well what if they REALLY WERE communists?" out of the sides of their mouth and wonder why the CPP won't just abandon the armed resistance and try to enact change by running candidates for congress

my actual comrades are what I'm proud to call committed leftists:

https://twitter.com/rosereyde/status/1380402471726587909

https://twitter.com/rosereyde/status/1379654797628862467

https://twitter.com/rosereyde/status/1379646331472408583

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1380966311552024583

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1381298031090352132

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Organ harvesting

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The US may be legitimately of need of new revenue. We may have pushed the USD a little too hard.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
One thing I don't think anyone in the thread has touched on so far is the extreme drought Taiwan is experiencing. Its water reservoirs are in the teens and single digit percentages. If there is no rainfall by May it's going to seriously hit the already overbooked semiconductor industry.

The island is doing a rotational two day suspension of water per week between Taichung, Miaoli, and Changhua.

The Ai Liao River is just gone right now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ANCALERTS/status/1381391897088909312

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
lol the navy is going to crash into ww3

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

paul_soccer12 posted:

Organ harvesting

Shh, don't give the US any ideas.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

OhFunny posted:

One thing I don't think anyone in the thread has touched on so far is the extreme drought Taiwan is experiencing. Its water reservoirs are in the teens and single digit percentages. If there is no rainfall by May it's going to seriously hit the already overbooked semiconductor industry.

The island is doing a rotational two day suspension of water per week between Taichung, Miaoli, and Changhua.

holy gently caress

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
also yeah that drought is going to cause all sorts of trouble for TSMC

hope you didn't need a computer this year!

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

gradenko_2000 posted:

also yeah that drought is going to cause all sorts of trouble for TSMC

hope you didn't need a computer this year!

:sickos:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i was watching a little bit this PLA morale boosting show from a few years ago and it's interesting to look at it from this perspective where the U.S. just appears as this extremely ominous empire sprawling across the pacific, which... well that's true

this film also develops starship troopers energy with soaring music. i love it at 14:50. we have the ships! we have the soldiers! but it's just modernism where the U.S. has this postmodern military as a way of "telling your own story" which tucker carlson complains as being woke, but i think it's just a different style. i should remix some of this footage with the music and make the U.S. look like the bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeOSvUMm_tU&t=70s

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

OhFunny posted:

how does an island have a draught??

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Agrajag posted:

how does an island have a draught??

not enough rain

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OhFunny posted:

Whoa. That looks bad.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

OhFunny posted:

Kamala’s boner for the water wars replacing the oil wars just got scarier

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
speaking of boner wars, watching that PLA military promotion takes me back to this video from steve bannon's exiled pal, guo wengui

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1mF5aha1jU

even at the time i was wondering who this soprano mob crap is supposed to appeal to, but it's bannon's bread and butter: pissed off, angry, young men without a lot going on. it's like the arab spring, hong kong, or alt-right poo poo. girls don't want to gently caress you or whatever, or they wanna gently caress white guys instead of chinese guys, and in the case of guo wengui, here's a rich guy who is going to punch your dad, or hillary clinton, or xinnie the pooh, etc.

that might be why the pooh memes are a thing. if not started by these attempts, certainly exploited. "trust us bro, he gets so triggered when you share it." grr i'm so angry i could tear the stuffing out of him! welcome to the info war:

https://files.catbox.moe/uct67d.mp4

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
How are these propped up exile groups always so weird? You'd think it'd be easy to find a normal boring dude with a family, pmc aesthetic, and a baseline of charisma.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
to be fair, guo wengui is exceptionally weird

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1381576911080554506

quote:

At the moment, the eager scenarios promising that “we” could defeat a PRC invasion of China are so deeply stuck in 1940s strategic thinking that you might as well get your military news from the reenactors who show up at the park on weekends to bang each other up with homemade swords. That’s over too, but at least it doesn’t cost as much money or as many lives as a carrier-based attempt to defend Taiwan would.

Very few of these articles bother much with what’s going on in China itself. China is just The Enemy, the red force in some Fort-Irwin scenario that gives aspiring officers a chance to shine. The thing is, and it’s weird you even have to say this: China is a big strong country coming out of an era of deep national humiliation and suffering, proud of its new prosperity. China’s success in lifting a desperately poor population into something like prosperity will likely be the biggest story from this era, when the canonical histories get distilled.

A nation hitting this stage is likely to include a lot of people, especially young men, who are itching to show what their country can do. Their patriotic eagerness is no doubt as gullible as most, but it’s real, and if you pay any attention in the online world, you can’t help seeing it.

People who mouth off about China never seem to imagine that anyone in China might hear, because as we are told over and over again, China-is-an-authoritarian-state. The implication is that nobody in China has any of the nationalistic fervor that we take for granted in our own Anglo states.

The only time you see anything about Chinese nationalism is when it’s used as one element of the war-fever talk: “Look! China’s gnashing its teeth! Buy us more carriers!” This is how most sources interpret the “Wolf Warrior” meme.

Wolf Warrior is a nationalistic Chinese war movie. That’s where the term “Wolf Warrior Diplomacy” comes from. The existence of such movies is deeply alarming…to the people who’ve watched Rambo II and III every night for decades, cheering every time Stallone shoots an NVA man with a arrow. (I say “*a* arrow” advisedly. “*An* arrow” gives far too much credit.) This stuff is so transparently stupid. It’s odd that life-long jingoists might be alarmed to discover that another great power has its own patriotic feelings, its own demographic eager for tales of martial glory.

If you know any recent Chinese history, any at all, then the PRC’s desire to reintegrate Taiwan doesn’t seem a very aggressive or frightening development, for the simple reason that the US used to be the most fierce advocate of Taiwan/Mainland China unity, to the point of madness. Until Nixon and Kissinger abandoned Taiwan for Beijing, the US was, to use a newspaper word, “adamant” that there was only one China.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 13:33 on Apr 12, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Indian panel gives emergency approval for Russia's Sputnik V vaccine: sources

Unsurprising news here, but here it is.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Now India has options or 3 vaccines, Sputnik, AZ, some indian home grown. I would choose the Russian Vaxx over the AZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Viatcheslavsos3/status/1381245314452062210