Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

syntaxrigger posted:

I think it is only supposed to be 2 problems? I haven't clicked the link yet.

I am kind of interested. It is DataStax. It seems like a neat platform they are trying to build on top of cassandra. I just get demoralized by these tests. I feel like they are already telling me I am not good enough because I don't know X algorithm to apply to Y brain teaser. My broke brain automatically assumes I am poo poo when there is any sort of gatekeeping I have to pass through. I will probably try it and see. If nothing else it is practice for the next one of these bullshit tests I get handed. I feel like there is no real way to get away from them.

This job search has also got me thinking a lot about how I sell myself. I generally say "I am excited by solving problems" but the lack of a label like "back end guy" or "front end dev" I think puts a lot of people off because they have to think about what to do with me. This makes me think that I need to pick a lane, backend or front end, and I don't really know/care. I just want a decent job that I can grow in skill while solving neat problems without working a poo poo ton of hours a week.

i dont know why you're so worried about doing the puzzles

just practice a few of them with whatever site you want (maybe advent of code or leetcode or project euler)

it is just a way of thinking that you have to practice in order to pass coding interviews. I strongly believe that working at a place that doesn't do coding tests is probably really, really shite; so you should absolutely learn this skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

also most coding puzzles are fun when you're doing them in a chill environment

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

sellin yourself has its own internal structures of credit assignment. "i am excited by solving problems" works great if you can back it up with high-profile famous problems you solved, or like if you drill down on a specific problem you're a maniac about. "im frontend guy" is less risk less reward. you took the risk, you got bopped in the head for it, that's how risks go

your declared preference is lower risk lower reward. label the poo poo out of yourself then

I never really thought about it in terms of risk. I guess I just need to go all in on something and shore up the skills to back it up which feels like more time at this lovely job while coding in my off time :(

Maybe writing programs can be fun if I do it for me, I dunno. Maybe I resent being gate kept because I am not good enough at programming to pass the gate or whatever. I dunno this poo poo sucks.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

the most important thing about "chill environment" is "consequencefree environment" so its a bit late for that advice

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Corla Plankun posted:

I do remember a time when puzzles were fun. It seems like a long time ago with a lot less negative baggage around programming.

I guess programming was more exciting when I thought I could be part of a community of not-assholes building cool poo poo. I don't even know if this exists.

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 9, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also you’re supposed to do them in about 30-45 minutes for a “leetcode medium” or hard problems and with clarification of the problem statement. the “leetcode easy” problems are ones that you might get multiple of but even then it’s more like 10min each.

some companies are actually straight up using the leetcode difficulties and putting time limits on those difficulties, there’s some discussion on the leetcode forum about it.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

syntaxrigger posted:

Any goon strats on preparing for the useless skill of the interview coding test?

that "cracking the coding interview" book is pretty decent for this

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

HappyHippo posted:

that "cracking the coding interview" book is pretty decent for this

this, but the main thing is not being lazy like me and actually coding those problems in it for real

it's less about thinking and more about getting the muscle memory in

yes it's stupid, but that's how it is

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

just got a recruiting email from a company that "puts domain names on the blockchain to make websites resistant to censorship" and is "backed by the Ethereum and Zilliqa foundations"; its a record for number of red flags

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Step 1: Put domain names on the blockchain
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Resist censorship

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Corla Plankun posted:

I strongly believe that working at a place that doesn't do coding tests is probably really, really shite; so you should absolutely learn this skill.

does “probably” mean that you’ve never actually done it and are speculating? because none of the jobs i’ve had have done leetcode-style coding tests and none of them were “really, really shite,” or even had problems that i can imagine a coding test solving

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I've only worked at 5-6 places but the one that didn't have a coding test hired a dude who literally had no idea how to write code at all and didn't turn in a single ounce of work the entire time he worked there.

no idea what his deal was but he worked there for two months and literally didn't do a single thing, he was on a performance improvement plan on like day 6 lol

probably means i'm extrapolating from there that you're more likely to work with a really useless dev if there isn't a timed/live coding test as part of the process

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

all the real figgie paying places seem to use them

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

all the real figgie paying places seem to use them

yeah this is it

they put a floor, even if its a really really low floor. there are peeps living on this damned earth who cant do fizzbuzz

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you can get a long way with google and copy/paste from snackoverflow

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I think coding tests are fine but takehomes suck a whole lot

especially really long ones, like fine I'll do it but thanks for ruining my weekend

and it's not like the company learns much more than they would from a timed/live test, if anything possibly less since you can put a ton of effort into it and do it even if you know nothing about what you're supposed to be doing on the job

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i am drawing a distinction between making sure candidates can fizzbuzz and making them do poo poo you have to specifically study things like ctci for

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Amazon sent me a multi page study guide for their test. I told them I was no longer interested.

It did amuse me that the last page was all links to articles about how great Amazon was.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
You've got to start giving them back a takehome test. "8 hour programming task, no problem, I just need to make sure this is the kind of place I'd like to work <questions list from the op>"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kdrudy posted:

Amazon sent me a multi page study guide for their test. I told them I was no longer interested.

It did amuse me that the last page was all links to articles about how great Amazon was.

I’m pretty sure those study guides are just the recruiters. you don’t even need to know the pillars or anything if you’re familiar with behavioral interviewing and the basics of business.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

kdrudy posted:

There’s plenty wrong with Amazon but I think giving every candidate a study guide is a good way to equalize candidates with different backgrounds who have a different level of knowledge about what a faang interview entails. If you’ve already read Cracking you don’t need the guide.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Private Speech posted:

I think coding tests are fine but takehomes suck a whole lot

especially really long ones, like fine I'll do it but thanks for ruining my weekend

and it's not like the company learns much more than they would from a timed/live test, if anything possibly less since you can put a ton of effort into it and do it even if you know nothing about what you're supposed to be doing on the job
Online time-limited coding tests tend to suck for people who don't perform well under the artificial pressure and constraints of a timed online test, and if you're the interviewer they don't really give you much to talk about in the interview.

*Short* take home tests based on the actual code you'll be writing (e.g here's some of our code, fix this bug/refactor it/add this small feature) are my fave, both as the candidate and the interviewer. As a candidate you can work how you would on the job, and as the interviewer you've got way more scope for chatting about their code.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

dividertabs posted:

There’s plenty wrong with Amazon but I think giving every candidate a study guide is a good way to equalize candidates with different backgrounds who have a different level of knowledge about what a faang interview entails. If you’ve already read Cracking you don’t need the guide.

it is a solution to a problem that ought not to exist. faangs have the resources to figure out how to make interviewing not suck rear end.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

yeah this is it

they put a floor, even if its a really really low floor. there are peeps living on this damned earth who cant do fizzbuzz

they also tend to bias pretty heavily towards young, childless folks which is exactly the type of unencumbered candidate these places want to exploit, i mean hire

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Lol my old job figured out that I was looking for work and fired me. Gave me 3 months severance though.

Let’s hope this one joint I just wrapped interviewing with works out so I can get double paid for a few months.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I'm curious how they found out, if you don't mind sharing?

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Probably inferred it from looking at my calendar availability or something. I don’t think they’re poo poo enough to use third party recruiters to see who is available for work on LinkedIn but I also wouldn’t put it past them.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
they also were not stupid enough to say that they’re firing me for looking for other work, they just said that it’s obvious I’m not happy there.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

buttchugging adderall posted:

they just said that it’s obvious I’m not happy there.

lmao

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

I've only worked at 5-6 places but the one that didn't have a coding test hired a dude who literally had no idea how to write code at all and didn't turn in a single ounce of work the entire time he worked there.

no idea what his deal was but he worked there for two months and literally didn't do a single thing, he was on a performance improvement plan on like day 6 lol

probably means i'm extrapolating from there that you're more likely to work with a really useless dev if there isn't a timed/live coding test as part of the process
we hired a guy who basically did the same thing. We had a timed coding challenge while he was interviewing and he managed to blame the person who set-up the interview for not prepping him adequately and we bought his excuse lmao

We had a code challenge, he failed it, and we still hired him. And then he didn't deliver any code for like 6 months and said he was taking classes.

that dude was such a confident liar.

Looking back, that poo poo was hilarious

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

it occupies a surprising amount of real estate in my brain to this day

i can't imagine how either one of these non-dev devs thought their grift would turn out; maybe they thought they would office space their way to upper management before anyone noticed they couldn't write

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think theres a weird level of sublimity to it that entrances the memory. i will think of that one dude who called me a chink while i was interviewing him once every two months or so for the rest of my life or at least my career

"if you wanna be a programmer you have to go learn how to program"

"do not call your interviewer racial slurs"

yes these too are not known universally

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

re: people not knowing how to program i think they assume they'll pick it up on the job. especially if they're used to kinda getting thrown in the deep end and it working out. mostly that happens when people think they're getting thrown in the deep end, but actually the "deep end" is a carefully crafted college course that goes over the fundamentals to make sure that nobody's left out.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

buttchugging adderall posted:

they also were not stupid enough to say that they’re firing me for looking for other work, they just said that it’s obvious I’m not happy there.

tbh this seems like fair play from them, 3 months isn’t nothing and once an employee starts actively looking elsewhere it’s really hard to un-burn them out

Corla Plankun posted:

i can't imagine how either one of these non-dev devs thought their grift would turn out; maybe they thought they would office space their way to upper management before anyone noticed they couldn't write

i think there’s a shadow employment world out there where nobody is expected to actually do anything productive at any point. this would explain both the guy we interviewed who had 20 years of experience yet refuses to believe that recursion even existed and the various corporate websites i’m sure we’ve all used that have failed to even sniff at basic functionality for years

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

i think theres a weird level of sublimity to it that entrances the memory. i will think of that one dude who called me a chink while i was interviewing him once every two months or so for the rest of my life or at least my career

What do you even do in this situation? Do you end it right there cause obviously that's a no hire and might as well not continue, or move forward for the sake of :decorum:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Corla Plankun posted:

but like, that's sort of not your problem unless this person reports to you

someone else being bad at their job shouldn't affect your performance and if they're able to extract a bundle of cash from idiots before they're found out then good for them

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ADINSX posted:

What do you even do in this situation? Do you end it right there cause obviously that's a no hire and might as well not continue, or move forward for the sake of :decorum:
they hired him as a manager

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i decorumed and stopped paying attention and told the story to the panel upon which we rejected him w great prejudice

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sorry that happened to you, thats really lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

someone else being bad at their job shouldn't affect your performance and if they're able to extract a bundle of cash from idiots before they're found out then good for them
(as a person who passes for straight/cis-male/white) all of the bad things i have ever experienced from any job directly stemmed from someone else being bad at their job. I honestly don't even know how you could write this because it seems like such an obviously wrong statement

in the case of my particular illiterate dev there was two or three senior devs who paired with him and met with him constantly, he was a huge burden