Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Evenin the rare cases in the past where I found it to be good/acceptable compared to what was available at the time, you knew it's gonna go to (comparative) poo poo and cost you $300+ every few years to get map updates. It's a losing proposition on the time scale of the service life of a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wait until your SiriusXM subscription expires and you get nonstop letters and phone calls. 🤪

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I understand all that, and I was looking at other head units initially but it's overkill for what i need and I like the factory head unit that's in the car.....And I'm a bit of a car audio snob too, if it sounded like poo poo I would have replaced it already.

I don't need traffic updates (I don't work, no commute), and I don't need GPS really for the city I live in (Tampa bay area) because I know it like the back of my hand, it's more for the occasional in-state camping/paddling trips I take now and then to FL state parks and poo poo like that.

I don't know maybe I sound like a luddite, but I figured if i could get the module cheap enough ($150) I'd rather do that then go through getting a new head unit because the good ones aren't exactly cheap and then it would have a bunch of poo poo on it I would never use anyway.

[e] besides, wouldn't cell phone based GPS be spotty in the rural areas i would be going to anyway?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 8, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

STR posted:

And that live traffic, on late model cars, sometimes relies on a subscription plan. I know there were specific frequencies dedicated to traffic stuff in the late 90s/early 00s, but they never really caught on on in the US. Today it mostly relies on whatever "emergency response" system is built into the car (which relies on the cellular radio built into the car for whatever Onstar-like system the car has)

TomTom may do it differently - if they do, that's awesome!
A 2015-era system would probably be using XM NavTraffic, I think only the Google-powered systems use the car's cellular connection.

My 2008 era TomTom could use Bluetooth to make an analog modem call over a non-data cell phone, I don't think that even works anymore on modern cell networks.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I don't need traffic updates (I don't work, no commute), and I don't need GPS really for the city I live in (Tampa bay area) because I know it like the back of my hand, it's more for the occasional in-state camping/paddling trips I take now and then to FL state parks and poo poo like that.
Counterpoint, if you're mostly using it for traveling in unfamiliar areas that's where real-time data can be most useful to not only ensure that your maps are up to date but also to know about closures and other things that you'd otherwise not know the area well enough to get around.

quote:

I don't know maybe I sound like a luddite, but I figured if i could get the module cheap enough ($150) I'd rather do that then go through getting a new head unit because the good ones aren't exactly cheap and then it would have a bunch of poo poo on it I would never use anyway.
If you don't care about playing CDs or satellite radio you have dozens of choices in the $200-300 range, with wireless phone linking starting at $400.

quote:

[e] besides, wouldn't cell phone based GPS be spotty in the rural areas i would be going to anyway?
Depends how rural, but if you know you're going to an area with low coverage you can pre-cache maps for the area on any map app worth using.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 8, 2021

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

wolrah posted:

Depends how rural, but if you know you're going to an area with low coverage you can pre-cache maps for the area on any map app worth using.

I do this in Google Maps when I travel to areas with no coverage. Works great.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I've been wanting an e30 325 BMW for some time now and I think its finally time to actually get one.

After close to a year of looking, today I found a clean looking one with 125k miles on it, but its an automatic. I am thinking of just going for it and make a swap to a 5sp manual.

Now, I've never worked on cars myself but now at least I got the space and time for it, plus I have access to all the tools I would need and I'd like to learn and I think the e30 would be a good car for that.

Preferably I'd get a manual one straight away but I live somewhere where these cars are quite rare, and I am not sure if I want to wait another year or more until another clean 325 appears. Do I bite the bullet or keep waiting?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have no idea how hard it is to manual swap an e30, or how expensive it is. I can only offer this advice. EVERY time I've put something off that I wanted to buy, or do, I've regretted it.

If you have the means and desire, buy the car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'd just post the corollary, which is every time you settle for something that isn't what you actually want, you end up regretting it, and then you also immediately find the thing you actually wanted after its too late.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

El Laucha posted:

I've been wanting an e30 325 BMW for some time now and I think its finally time to actually get one.

After close to a year of looking, today I found a clean looking one with 125k miles on it, but its an automatic. I am thinking of just going for it and make a swap to a 5sp manual.

Now, I've never worked on cars myself but now at least I got the space and time for it, plus I have access to all the tools I would need and I'd like to learn and I think the e30 would be a good car for that.

Preferably I'd get a manual one straight away but I live somewhere where these cars are quite rare, and I am not sure if I want to wait another year or more until another clean 325 appears. Do I bite the bullet or keep waiting?

Swapping an e30 auto to manual is a very well documented process. I had one for 7 years, originally came with an auto but was swapped to a 5 speed before I bought it. I never had any issues related to that, thankfully. I probably don't need to talk you into buying an e30, but that was by far the most fun I ever had with a car. I learned more about cars during that time period, mostly out of necessity because I had a LOT of problems. My wife's car at the time was falling apart and we both knew that there was no way either of us could rely on the bmw running any given day (I could ride my bike to work, if I needed to) so I sold it. I have a brz now that gives me the same feeling I got from the e30 only without the carbon monoxide leaks and lightheadedness, and with an airbag.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Motronic posted:

Evenin the rare cases in the past where I found it to be good/acceptable compared to what was available at the time, you knew it's gonna go to (comparative) poo poo and cost you $300+ every few years to get map updates. It's a losing proposition on the time scale of the service life of a car.

I really prefer my BMW nav to Maps or Waze (except for the traffic not being super accurate), but they want $120/year subscription to get map updates and keep the traffic service going. I'll probably swap in an AA unit eventually even though I kinda hate AA.

Charles posted:

Wait until your SiriusXM subscription expires and you get nonstop letters and phone calls. 🤪

I didn't even know my car had XM until I got the letters to resubscribe!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I found a used aftermarket intercooler for my car on craigslist and it's a decent deal (the seller hasn't found any buyers) but it's used so it's a bit dirty. Assuming I take pick it up, what are some decent ways to clean an intercooler? From my brief searches it seems like you want to avoid pressure washers but otherwise would it just be using a brush and some Simple Green?
The part in question: https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/pts/d/lake-worth-2017-subaru-wrx-performance/7294151229.html

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've used a black tip (65° spray) on a petrol-powered pressure washer on intercoolers and radiators before with no trouble. Hitting them with a 15° tip will definitely cause damage, but a part like the one linked, where it's out of the car so you can keep a decent stand-off distance to the 'cooler and make sure you're hitting it dead-on with the spray will be fine.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

nitsuga posted:

Alright, here's a dumb question. I had a strut on my '17 Golf replaced under warranty. Right after that, I had to hold the wheel significantly to the right. The dealer told me that was because they hadn't performed an alignment. They did, and now I have to hold the wheel to the right. So I'm curious, would the new strut's ride height normally affect an alignment like that? Is it any sign I should replace the other too? I guess that's an assumption that it is the ride height, but alignments have always confused me.

The car's got 60,000 miles on it, so they're not fresh by any means. I am going back to hopefully get the wheel straightened, and hopefully get a spec sheet this time.

Sorry to resurrect this, but I got my spec sheet, and the thing I see sticking out is the front camber. The car's been giving my fits, so it's back at the dealership, but if anyone wanted to weigh in, I'd appreciate it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

nitsuga posted:

Sorry to resurrect this, but I got my spec sheet, and the thing I see sticking out is the front camber. The car's been giving my fits, so it's back at the dealership, but if anyone wanted to weigh in, I'd appreciate it.

Editing my whole post here.

I'm not an expert on alignments, but it looks like you might have to specifically ask them to adjust the camber to be more in the "middle" of the spec.

They probably didn't bother with that since it looks like its still technically within spec, even though its off to the extreme end of it.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 9, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Editing my whole post here.

I'm not an expert on alignments, but it looks like you might have to specifically ask them to adjust the camber to be more in the "middle" of the spec.

They probably didn't bother with that since it looks like its still technically within spec, even though its off to the extreme end of it.

Sure, that makes sense. I'll squeeze their shoes a bit more on it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Funniest van of pain problem yet:

Anyone ever heard of a vehicle getting inexplicably higher MPG than usual? My van in good condition gives me 12 avg - 14.5 peak or so, but on my current trip I've been seeing numbers like 16-17 (and 19 on one relatively short leg) Odometer matches the distance Google maps gives me, and I've been making drat sure the tank is actually full when the nozzle clicks off. None of the routes driven were all downhill or anything either, the 16 mpg day actually had me going up about 4000 feet in elevation.

Whoever said this thing needs an exorcism may have been right, because i feel like if there was a way to get these tubs up to 19 mpg somebody would be selling it already.

E: I'm getting my numbers via miles driven ÷ gallons pumped, not a gauge or anything electronic that could be throwing junk data.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

(Crossposting from the VW/Audi thread)

Okay so I have a 2007 GTI, intermittent P0100 code (MAF circuit malfunction). Car drives normally and then sometimes has a tiny stutter on throttle and the light will turn on. This happens once every 2-3 weeks and sometimes the CEL will turn itself off without me clearing it, then will show up later on. I figured this was a loose connection or intermittent connection.

Previously Surburban Dad posted this reply:

Suburban Dad posted:

Recheck the wiring to the sensor, maybe find a wiring diagram and a multimeter and check and see if you can find where it connects to the ECM. Easiest way to do this (assuming you have a wiring pinout) is to check resistance between the ECM pin to the corresponding pin on the MAF connector. Assuming it's the same wire, if you find infinite resistance you have a break somewhere along the wire or connection in between. Could be that or the sensor itself being dead but I figure you'd get a ton more codes since usually the MAF contains multiple other sensors within (temp, baro, etc.). If you can use one of those apps you have to get MAF readings (might also look for baro and inlet air temp/IAT to confirm they're working), what do they say? A value at idle somewhere in the range of 2-15ish g/s (cold start will be slightly higher due to higher idle speed, also depends on engine size so could be slightly higher -assuming a 1.8 or 2.0L turbo?) suggests it's probably working, otherwise it might be reading something wonky if the sensor/wiring is bad. If I had to bet, it's not a power or ground wire, but one of the signal wires that's broken somewhere.

Granted my experience is not really with VWs but that one seems pretty cut and dry since it suggests "MAF circuit." I would not look into the o2 sensor at all seeing that code.

I got around to this today, using Torque graphed the following while I drove around my block (2nd and 3rd gear and not hitting peak boost):

At baseline:

That data looks really normal to me but I'd be curious if anyone thinks otherwise.

There's that spot on the mk5 GTIs where the MAF loom is kinked 90 deg to a clip on the air tube that feeds turbo sound into the firewall. There have been reports of a wire failing in that area because of the awkward kink. I left the engine running and pulled the loom out of the clip there and manipulated it every which way while watching live data from the MAF and nothing unusual happened. I grabbed the harness plug (onto the MAF from the loom) and wiggled it around, pulled at each wire, twisted stuff about, again nothing unusual on the live graph.

Any idea for next place to look? I'm reluctant to take the MAF out to hit it with sensor cleaner after seeing what looks like very normal readings. I don't see any area where unmetered air could be entering the intake tract after the MAF.

e:

Javid posted:

Anyone ever heard of a vehicle getting inexplicably higher MPG than usual? My van in good condition gives me 12 avg - 14.5 peak or so, but on my current trip I've been seeing numbers like 16-17 (and 19 on one relatively short leg) Odometer matches the distance Google maps gives me, and I've been making drat sure the tank is actually full when the nozzle clicks off. None of the routes driven were all downhill or anything either, the 16 mpg day actually had me going up about 4000 feet in elevation.

Whoever said this thing needs an exorcism may have been right, because i feel like if there was a way to get these tubs up to 19 mpg somebody would be selling it already.

E: I'm getting my numbers via miles driven ÷ gallons pumped, not a gauge or anything electronic that could be throwing junk data.

Aftermarket wheels or nonstandard tires? Maybe your odometer is thinking you're driving farther than you are? Should be able to check speed against a GPS phone app on the highway to make sure it's accurate.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 9, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Is it running lean?

Edit that was for Javids van.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Tires are factory size, no mechanical changes made recently.

I don't know how to detect if it's running lean but it's giving me all the power it should.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Javid posted:

My old Integra was EPA rated for.. 26 highway, I think? I whacked 40 in it on most road trips. Same calculation you're using. My last Accord also got pretty great mileage on road trips (EPA rated 29 highway, usually got 35-38 on road trips depending how angry I was that day).

The Accord could drive from Dallas to Austin, drive around Austin for a week doing touristy stuff, then drive back to Dallas, on one tank (barely).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 9, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

STR posted:

Yes, engine oil. You just need to smear it around the mating surfaces. Just like when you replace an oil filter, except you'll be doing the outside edge (maybe the side that faces the inside of the engine too). If it's already leaking, just run your finger around the inside edge of where the old seal was and use that to lube it.

Do the clutch while it's apart unless the one in there looks brand new. You don't REALLY want to drop the trans again, do you?

Thanks. The clutch looked barely worn but gently caress it, you're right, just out the new one in :)

Another dumb question. The old half-shaft seals had some grease between these lips and the new ones don't. What kind of stuff goes there? It's way thicker than gear oil.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Grease. The kind that comes in a can about as big around as a CD.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Uhhh so I just found a small part on a 06 mustang that just needs to popped back in by an expert, I am too weak and dumb. But the dealership says they wont touch it.. because its hard to get parts for? As if 06 ford parts are now rare is this a thing?

Specifically its the plastic cover/cowl on the bottom of the windshield, where the wiper arms are affixed.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Gaj posted:

Uhhh so I just found a small part on a 06 mustang that just needs to popped back in by an expert, I am too weak and dumb. But the dealership says they wont touch it.. because its hard to get parts for? As if 06 ford parts are now rare is this a thing?

Specifically its the plastic cover/cowl on the bottom of the windshield, where the wiper arms are affixed.

It'd be worth calling around if you're really struggling, but feel free to post a picture of where you're at.. There's always the possibility of breaking some clips in this process, so I kind of get the dealerships hesitation, but don't really at all at the same time. Like, what kind of dealership wouldn't take the opportunity to make some pretty easy money? But anyway I found a few things that might help you in your journey.

Diagram: https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=434&f=Cowl%20Vent%20Screen.pdf
Cowl Panel Removal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFapgCIsWwI
Better Video of the Drain Problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PuSsGm5OYA
Possible sources for clips: https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Ford-Clips-And-Fasteners-s/63.htm, https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2006,mustang,4.6l+v8,1432173,body+&+lamp+assembly,cowl+retainer+/+clip,1000880

So yeah, I'd review those things and give it another go. It's probably a matter of getting the clips on the back of panel aligned so they can clip into the receptacles and giving the panel a good whap to snap in. Don't beat on it, but don't be afraid to persuade it if you're sure those clips are all lined up.

Edit: V That's a fair point. It's probably the panels themselves they're concerned about.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 9, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
sounds about right in terms of parts failure, it's an uncommon failure, it's a relative unicorn part that isn't shared with any other car, and it's 15 years old.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Javid posted:

My guess is the gas stations in your area have just switched from winter to summer blend. I've heard that can account for a 10% change in gas mileage, give or take. Doesn't explain the 19 though

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If it's over multiple days, I've got nothing. If it's one day, especially one leg of a trip, it could very well be a tail wind. I've had a low-30's mpg car get into the 40's with a decent tail wind before.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Multiple days with gas stations in multiple states, some of it high altitude 85 octane, on a route I drive every year. :iiam:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

anybody know what make and model of truck this is?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
International Harvester Scout, not sure exactly which model. I think a II but I don't know them well. Imcdb.org is a great resource.

Edit: maybe it's an IH Travelall, they had that vertical part on the grille.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 10, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Charles posted:

International Harvester Scout, not sure exactly which model. I think a II but I don't know them well. Imcdb.org is a great resource.

Edit: maybe it's an IH Travelall, they had that vertical part on the grille.

Based on what I can see through the windsheld it looks like a pickup. So maybe a Travelette of the very early 70s vintage?

I've always loved these things, the Scouts, etc. but even back when I was dumb enough to buy one I recognized that it was so hard to find parts that I never did.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

abelwingnut posted:

anybody know what make and model of truck this is?

Can't quite put my finger on it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Can't quite put my finger on it.

Don't withhold your poo poo spreader knowledge from us. We're all just guessing here.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh it just came to me, it's a 72 or 73 pickup based on the grille and the shape of the hood. 4wd. Model 1110 or 1210, depending if it's a half or 3/4 ton. That look like a single cab based on the back window and the occupants heads.

Is that a screencap from a show?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I thought Travelette based on what I could see and put in in google and smashed images. That was the first thing that looked like what I was thinking about that came up.

Came back to here: https://www.americancarcollector.com/profile/1972-international-1210-travelette-4x4-pickup

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

StormDrain posted:

It's a show or a movie, those are fake plates, 1ITA341 is a common fake one for Hollywood
edit: well maybe not common. but you get the point
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmericanHorrorStory/comments/9v1y46/same_plate_for_the_covens_vehicle_ep_3_and/

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

I thought Travelette based on what I could see and put in in google and smashed images. That was the first thing that looked like what I was thinking about that came up.

Came back to here: https://www.americancarcollector.com/profile/1972-international-1210-travelette-4x4-pickup

Not you, the OP.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Charles posted:

It's a show or a movie, those are fake plates, 1ITA341 is a common fake one for Hollywood
edit: well maybe not common. but you get the point
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmericanHorrorStory/comments/9v1y46/same_plate_for_the_covens_vehicle_ep_3_and/

It's Better Things, Season 2, Episode 7.

So it's a 1210, 2wd actually. Nice two-tone paint. Looks like it's used in a few other productions lately too, four shows over the last 3 years. It's a star!

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1165143-International-Harvester-1210-1973.html

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make=International+Harvester&model=1210&modelMatch=1&modelInclModel=on

This was a good use of my time.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Does anyone have a compact jack and tire tool they like? I changed my mind on my 17 accord hybrid and had a good tire put on a steely, but want a tool set that will fit inside. Amazon’s top two choices are highly rated but the top reviews all say they are dangerous poo poo and could fail and injure you. Not planning to use for under-car work, but still.

If anyone has any recommendations for foam to put under the trunk bottom panel cover (around the edge) that lays over the top of the spare well, that would be awesome too. Full size pushes that panel an inch or so higher than the surrounding trunk floor, I’d like to support it so it doesn’t break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I got the jack recommended by Wirecutter.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-gear-for-a-roadside-emergency/

I used it on my mom's CR-V and it felt a little dicey when extended that far, but I think it'd be alright for changing a tire on a sedan.

If "tire tool" you mean lug wrench, I bought a long breaker bar and a socket of the correct size and carry those with me. Get more torque than on a compact wrench.