Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
The original Diablo 2 character sprites were Maya 3DSMax models which got converted into sprites. While I doubt they have the original files from Blizzard North, they can probably have the new 3D stuff act identically to the original game easier than you’d think. Otherwise the real-time graphics swapping between old and new would be impossible or just really weird and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

What makes you say definitely?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I watched the IGN video which has a 4k option and it's very obvious that the models are 3D. It looks great IMO. Despite all the praise for Starcraft Re-mastered I thought some of the sprites and portraits looked terrible once they were ported to HD, and I'm glad the same doesn't seem to be true here.

Edit: This one: https://www.ign.com/videos/the-first-16-minutes-of-diablo-2-resurrected-gameplay-technical-alpha-4k-60fps

Starks fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 9, 2021

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
God, ActiBlizz sucks so hard.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Laslow posted:

God, ActiBlizz sucks so hard.

Besides the obvious (that they suck in general )what sucks about those 3 screen shots?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Besides the obvious (that they suck in general )what sucks about those 3 screen shots?
He’s complaining about going from 2D to 3D, but the game’s original assets were 3D to begin with. If they didn’t suck so hard and burned Blizzard North down, they might have had those assets, likely making it easier.

And if they do have the assets, they’re a multi billion dollar enterprise, they should be able to piece it together without being little pissbitches.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Jesus christ, go out for a walk or something. Go get some ice cream. Something.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

epic fail

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I think Activision-Blizzard are epic... Epic for the Win.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Star Man posted:

Jesus christ, go out for a walk or something. Go get some ice cream. Something.
I’m probably grouchy because I’m running a fever. I’ll be ok once this pile of heavy medication kicks in, most certainly.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hey, I got into the technical alpha and it only took like 2 minutes for me to decide this was worth a purchase. The audio remaster is very well done and the graphical flavor they have added is top notch and entirely fitting. They've managed to capture the dark feel of d2, which is nice, because I worried it would look anything like diablo 3. It does not. 2d or 3d, I would not have cared, I just wanted to solve the drat eye strain I'd get from playing even median xl after awhile. Damnit, I'm excited!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Kazvall posted:

Hey, I got into the technical alpha and it only took like 2 minutes for me to decide this was worth a purchase. The audio remaster is very well done and the graphical flavor they have added is top notch and entirely fitting. They've managed to capture the dark feel of d2, which is nice, because I worried it would look anything like diablo 3. It does not. 2d or 3d, I would not have cared, I just wanted to solve the drat eye strain I'd get from playing even median xl after awhile. Damnit, I'm excited!
I've got a few UI complaints and maybe a few ability complaints, but overall yeah it's pretty well done. The inventory pictures for lots of items/potions/gems/etc just aren't great. They're not in the spirit of the original at all and just look real out of place & awkward. Outside of the wp menu, moving skill/stat points (ahh!!), things not being chunky enough in UI, etc, everything else seems great.

There's load times between waypoints in the same act which is messed up. Barb model looks off compared to the original. In gameplay it looks very off. Sorc, Paladin, Assassin all look good in char select & sorc in-game.

On a more "I'm a big nerd who played too much of the original" complaint line we have these which people who have never played d2 before probably won't even notice or care about :

I do wish they went for chunkier & whiter lightning for sorc lit skills. It's a very modern thin blue lightning instead of d2's lightning. The cold orb looks not good and like the awful bouncing d3 one that mobs do instead of d2's. Although the animation, particles, and bolts that come from it are top notch. Blizzard is too sparse looking, but there might be a design reason for this choice given how Blizzard functions.

The way frozen/chilled enemies look is real weird color-wise. Not a huge fan of the fallen & goatman designs, they all seem like they got less chunky/monsterish and more thin+human-like which is just weird. Haven't checked it out enough to see if they did this to other mobs too.

Overall it looks good and is an upgrade. I will probably end up buying it and playing with the new graphics.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 10, 2021

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

The Lord Bude posted:

It's so incredibly painful, particularly the long walk from where town portals drop you off into the main part of town. You always used to dread having to make the long trek to Adria's cottage.

Whereas now even regular diablo 2 running speed feels slow to me; I've been spoiled by having a Bowazon with a vigor aura courtesy of Harmony.

Harmony in a low requirement bow is one of the first things I make at the start of a season, and I pass it down from my first character to others as they level up. Hell countess drops Ko rune pretty reliably, and the rest you should already have by the time you get there.

It is one of, if not THE best items to equip in your secondary/swap weapon slot. Once you hit late game, you'll eventually replace it with +skills items to improve your buffs, or maybe a Naj's Puzzler for the teleport charges if you don't have enigma.

Going fast is good, and cool. And it significantly increases how much xp/loot you get in a play session when you spend less time walking and more time killing.

Stealth runeword body armor is another easy one I ALWAYS make. +25% move speed on a chest piece! That beats out any other affix until you get to Hell difficulty and need to squeeze as much damage and resists out of your gear as possible.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Khorne posted:

I've got a few UI complaints and maybe a few ability complaints, but overall yeah it's pretty well done. The inventory pictures for lots of items/potions/gems/etc just aren't great. They're not in the spirit of the original at all and just look real out of place & awkward. Outside of the wp menu, moving skill/stat points (ahh!!), things not being chunky enough in UI, etc, everything else seems great.

There's load times between waypoints in the same act which is messed up. Barb model looks off compared to the original. In gameplay it looks very off. Sorc, Paladin, Assassin all look good in game. I haven't tried other classes.

On a more "I'm a big nerd who played too much of the original" complaint line we have these which people who have never played d2 before probably won't even notice or care about :

I do wish they went for chunkier & whiter lightning for sorc lit skills. It's a very modern thin blue lightning instead of d2's lightning. The cold orb looks not good and like the awful bouncing d3 one that mobs do instead of d2's. Although the animation, particles, and bolts that come from it are top notch. Blizzard is too sparse looking, but there might be a design reason for this choice given how Blizzard functions.

The way frozen/chilled enemies look is real weird color-wise. Not a huge fan of the fallen & goatman designs, they all seem like they got less chunky/monsterish and more thin+human-like which is just weird. Haven't checked it out enough to see if they did this to other mobs too.

Overall it looks good and is an upgrade. I will probably end up buying it and playing with the new graphics.

I can agree with all of this. I had some issues with models and such but I am giving myself time to see if I get used to them. The quick turn animation is a bit odd. Still, nothing is particularly bad in any way. Will hold off supreme judgement until I can actually play my favorite classes. Not a huge fan of zon, barb, or sorc.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
check this guy out who doesnt like the best classes in the freaking game

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hardcore necro/paladin/druid for life. I'll play a MF sorc sometimes. HC is a powerful drug that makes softcore seem real boring.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 10, 2021

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

What are the chances of them making a new expansion for Resurrected?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Vorik posted:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vorik posted:

They launched a big series of questions. Chances of some QoL patches dropping are high. Especially if it sells well.

Expansion not as likely. But it'd print money, could be developed quickly with few people, and they put a lot of work into modernizing engine, netcode, and server infrastructure so who knows. More content (like ubers/dclone/etc) maybe isn't 100% out of the question, but I can't imagine they'd add an entire new act.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 10, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

But then they'll shoehorn in D3's plotline, and do you really want that?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Think they've already proven they have nothing to add to the story, we'll see if iv changes that

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

THE BAR posted:

But then they'll shoehorn in D3's plotline, and do you really want that?

I know this is really minor but it was a bit disappointing that D3 didn't really like feel like it was connected to Diablo 2 at all. Diablo 2 felt like it really expanded the game universe while still also tying into the last game.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
A good TL;DR on the Alpha https://youtu.be/dEl8qsJgB7w

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know this is really minor but it was a bit disappointing that D3 didn't really like feel like it was connected to Diablo 2 at all. Diablo 2 felt like it really expanded the game universe while still also tying into the last game.

If they're smart they'll forget everything about the D3 story.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Oh, but D3 tied to both previous titles; it tied them to the loving ground and beat them over and over again and made you watch every second of it.

The Warrior being the King's wayward son. Sexy Adria. Everything about the Worldstone.

Jesus.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Loading is the biggest issue so far. Popping around is pretty big to Diablo's gamefeel. That's something that D3 really messed up at launch. Ah well.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

I pretend that d3 is an alternate universe spinoff of the Gauntlet series and it serves me pretty well.

If anyone has played median xl and is familiar with their endgame, there is a ton of poo poo from before d3 that could be added into d2, lore wise.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Loading is the biggest issue so far. Popping around is pretty big to Diablo's gamefeel. That's something that D3 really messed up at launch. Ah well.

ah shucks that's going to be disappointing if it persists - you're right that zipping around with zero load times is a huge part of D2 and was a big part of why I could never get into Torchlight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mustached Demon posted:

If they're smart they'll forget everything about the D3 story.

We can only hope.

It really is crazy how extremely far the writing missed the mark on what people want from Diablo.

THE BAR posted:

Sexy Adria.

Forget Sexy Adria. They did Sexy Diablo. :stonk:

And they killed Cain in the stupidest way possible. I can't forgive that poo poo.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's not plot-related, but I really didn't like the generic emoticon stars that would pop on your minimap whenever a unique dropped.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

We can only hope.

It really is crazy how extremely far the writing missed the mark on what people want from Diablo.

Forget Sexy Adria. They did Sexy Diablo. :stonk:

And they killed Cain in the stupidest way possible. I can't forgive that poo poo.

Diablo 3 is a sequel to Champions of Norrath. That is to say canonically it never happened.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The saddest thing about Diablo 3's writing is it isn't all bad. There's little codex entries and there's things NPCs say during levels that are very competently written and do actually expand the lore and world of Diablo bigger the way D2 did.

But unfortunately those skilled writers seem to be lower on the political totem pole at Blizzard, some old guy with seniority who is a totally poo poo writer took control instead and pushed the dumb plot on everybody else, and they just had to make do as best they can.

Seriously though the writing in the cutscenes is so dumb but the writing in the subtle details holds up. Its night and day.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

The saddest thing about Diablo 3's writing is it isn't all bad. There's little codex entries and there's things NPCs say during levels that are very competently written and do actually expand the lore and world of Diablo bigger the way D2 did.

But unfortunately those skilled writers seem to be lower on the political totem pole at Blizzard, some old guy with seniority who is a totally poo poo writer took control instead and pushed the dumb plot on everybody else, and they just had to make do as best they can.

Seriously though the writing in the cutscenes is so dumb but the writing in the subtle details holds up. Its night and day.

"Foolish neph- HURGLBURGLEGLEGJGHG"- Azmodan, the only time you meet him in the story.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Lol at playing action rpgs for the story. I don't remember hardly anything from 2 or 3 but yes 3 was much worse. Diablo with tiddies is pretty funny, however.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Meridian posted:

Champions of Norrath.

Heroes of Newerth

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i thought the whole nephelim or w/e thing was silly but w/e im old as gently caress. like cant they just be regular rear end mfs like in the og. like who was a sorc, some arab chick. nec0r some old polish guy or something. pally he was from kurast this is for sure. barb is from mount arreat, duh. druid dunno this guys backstory. assa dunno but they live in the shadows so this is fitting the lore. zoner well they are amazons from the island of babes. very very simple.

also the villain plot very simple. the warrior canonically pwns diablo under tristy in game 1. he puts the shard in his head to keep diablo from coming out again,... WOW just like they did with TAL RASHA!!! but then just like tal rasha it corrupts you and he becomes super evil. very very simple. his big bro mephisto comes out and in the 3 seconds before a mf sorc kills him he lures the wanderer to tal rashas chamber AND THE REST IS HISTORY!! also tyreal was really cool and glowy, this is VERY important.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

Lol at playing action rpgs for the story. I don't remember hardly anything from 2 or 3 but yes 3 was much worse. Diablo with tiddies is pretty funny, however.

Not wanting to have a dumb as rocks story doesn't mean you're playing diablo "for the story" :rolleyes: this is a colossally bad take.

If anything that's the whole loving problem we're complaining about. The game was made as though to appeal to people who play ARPGs for story, which is not us. That's the whole issue. Thanks.

This is like arguing that you watch action movies for the action so it doesn't matter if the story is dumb and the characters do dumb things. Yeah, the point is the action, but the story needs to not get in the way or try to overly show off in a dumb way.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

quote:

If you're playing a pc game, then your main character will be some utterly generic, homogenized boring guy voiced by the same jackass who reads out movie previews:

"In a world gone mad... where the hunted has become the hunted... one man stands alone... a rogue adventurer, setting out to participate in particularly rogue things... he must avenge his father's death while saving the world from the dreaded evil wizard Latrino of the Blue Disk Clan... can he save the world... before he destroys himself?"

It's also noteworthy that when a pc RPG employs voice acting, even the biggest and most capable stars lose all talent the moment they step into the recording room. When you hear your character being voiced by Mark Hamill halfheartedly mutter "I can't take any chances, I must track Dorfgannon down before more innocent lives are lost," the sense that he's really thinking "I was Luke loving Skywalker, I used to bang Harrison Ford and now I'm doing this poo poo" is frighteningly palpable. If the game is a port from a Japanese title, there's a chance that the English dub may be fatal.

https://www.somethingawful.com/guides/guide-how-survive/1/

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

You couldn't avoid the story onslaught until adventure mode was introduced in the expansion either. Wanna do anything in act 3? Hope you like azmodan telling you his plan each run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Oath should be illegal. My Paladin found an ethereal Highland Blade, Took it to nice Mr Larzuk, and now my Frenzy barb has a very sweet weapon waiting for him once he hits level 49 - Nearly max enhanced damage roll as well. All in all a base weapon damage of 400, which I feel like that isn't too far off what a Grief could do even before the bone spirit procs; all for runes I was able to farm from the Countess. At the moment he's using dual Honour dimensional blades which work out at 100 base damage so this is a literal quadrupling of his current base damage. Second weapon is going to be a Lawbringer in a legend sword for the decrepify and nullifying physical resistances/immunities on undead.

At this rate my barbarian is going to end up out damaging my hobo hammerdin.