Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Male XL Fan
May 26, 2008

There is nothing morally/logically/ethically wrong with reproducing but if you dont want kids its actually pretty easy to prevent. I know some of you dont wanna hear "wear a condom" but just hear me out for a second. I had my girlfriend on THAT BED. I was layin over there by that window and I was railin her snatch like there's no tomorrow. Aight? And I came in my condom. And it felt wonderful. It was GOOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Casual Male XL Fan posted:

There is nothing morally/logically/ethically wrong with reproducing but if you dont want kids its actually pretty easy to prevent. I know some of you dont wanna hear "wear a condom" but just hear me out for a second. I had my girlfriend on THAT BED. I was layin over there by that window and I was railin her snatch like there's no tomorrow. Aight? And I came in my condom. And it felt wonderful. It was GOOD.

writing 5000 word posts about how existence is suffering and humanity should be wiped out because its easier than talking to a girl.....

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I understand that owl dude a lot better since I read the PYF thread where he talks about how he's never cum, honestly

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Have any of you considered the moral imperative that exists to have goon children so they can continue posting on this dead comedy forum into the next hell century?

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

Konomex posted:

Have any of you considered the moral imperative that exists to have goon children so they can continue posting on this dead comedy forum into the next hell century?

Lmao... but seriously if goons outproduced chuds the world would be a much better place

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Slammu posted:

Lmao... but seriously if goons outproduced chuds the world would be a much better place

I'm in favour of voluntary extinction if it means less posts like this

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

woozy pawsies posted:

I love to cum, hard, into vaginas. I love to stick my turgid cock into an engorged pussy and blow some cum out of my dick and into the pussy. I like it when my sperm meets an egg, an ovum, and creates a baby. This feels good to me. It’s great to see this little being, aka crotch spawn, that came from I hosed hard and cummed—into a pussy. It’s amazing and wonderful to see. But it also feels good, no it feels great. I love to get girls pregnant, I love to do this by having sex with them. I gently caress them, by thrusting my hips with my boner at the end, into their vaginal opening, which will be wet. The egg, or ovum, will be ready to be impregnated by my semen. This is how God intended it. That’s why it feels so drat, god drat, good when I blow my cum out of my dick and my dick is in a pussy and now it’s squishing the cum out. Nature is made of an infinite amount of fractals.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is a loving stupid probe

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Life is incredibly precious and beautiful beyond all measure. It is the only example we know of of mute physics and chemistry creating order out of a soup of nothingness. Against all odds, it is a negentropic process that by pure chance appears to have spontaneously arisen only once in this cosmos - as far as we know. It is the only process that exists on Earth that does not merely dissipate, but also propagates. It is, as Darwin wrote, endless forms most beautiful.

The fact that somehow, out of 4 billion years of life's existence on this planet, now there are life forms that can contemplate not only their own existence, but the well being of other life forms, and value the existence not only of their own progeny but every ant, microbe or blade of grass, is nothing short of miraculous. It may very well be the only chance that terrestrial life has of, possibly, surviving past the fiery death that is the Sun's middle age.

And instead we're going to snuff it out for the sake of making imaginary numbers go up.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

some plague rats posted:

I'm in favour of voluntary extinction if it means less posts like this

My post was admittedly low effort—while I do think that saying there is a moral imperative to have kids is a shade too much (tons of other ways to produce positive externalities in the world), hard to deny that giving your all to raising good kids that go on on to be good people isn’t a great way to do something ethically *good* and for me it’s definitely enough to at least refute the argument that it’s categorically wrong to have kids.

Edit: and being serious, while the typical goon profile might not be double plus scientist making covid vaccines contributing to society, at least in D&D a lot of people care about debating issues, teasing out solutions, etc. which I feel is a fundamental foundation to someone caring about doing good in the world. If you don’t give a gently caress about learning about things, hard to add anything meaningful to the world in general, and that was the rationale in saying more goon children > chud children.

Big Slammu fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 10, 2021

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

This is a loving stupid probe

woozy pawsies is posting the most honest and philosophically consistent take in the thread and he got probed for it

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

woozy pawsies is posting the most honest and philosophically consistent take in the thread and he got probed for it

It's a better argument than I made about how reproduction is a biological need and that this is equivalent to asking the morality of the speed of light or the boiling point of water.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Slammu posted:

Edit: and being serious, while the typical goon profile might not be double plus scientist making covid vaccines contributing to society, at least in D&D a lot of people care about debating issues, teasing out solutions, etc. which I feel is a fundamental foundation to someone caring about doing good in the world. If you don’t give a gently caress about learning about things, hard to add anything meaningful to the world in general, and that was the rationale in saying more goon children > chud children.

Nodding to myself as I read through a 20 page derail about the best type of fast food, these people have the analytical minds we need to save society from the white man

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

some plague rats posted:

Nodding to myself as I read through a 20 page derail about the best type of fast food, these people have the analytical minds we need to save society from the white man

Yeah it’s not my best argument and I don’t represent it to be, but I’ve dug my own grave with my initial low effort post.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

if only the forum whose superstars include a poster tried to walk across the country and made it 5 miles helped repopulate the earth

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

I find children joyful, and love the idea of creating a safe and happy family for them to grow and flourish as a part of.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
after careful consideration i think the most persuasive argument is the guy who felt pain so bad if given the option he would make the possibility of experiencing joy impossible for everyone across all dimensions. i just don't see that sort of raw energy from the rest of you. if you're not prepared to kill everything forever, don't even post in this thread.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so unmotivated that the other morning when I got out of bed and stood on a plug I didn't immediately launch a genocide!!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Marching Powder posted:

after careful consideration i think the most persuasive argument is the guy who felt pain so bad if given the option he would make the possibility of experiencing joy impossible for everyone across all dimensions. i just don't see that sort of raw energy from the rest of you. if you're not prepared to kill everything forever, don't even post in this thread.

The counter position is "I'll gently caress everything I don't care I'll get your desk chair pregnant stop me you won't", which I really don't see anyone being able to sell after woozy got probated.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's a better argument than I made about how reproduction is a biological need and that this is equivalent to asking the morality of the speed of light or the boiling point of water.

Can I ask a quick question? If it's a biological need, then how do people choosing to not have children fit into this framework?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Do you think reproducing is morally/logically/ethically wrong?

Fail: I like to gently caress pussies and cum in them until a baby is born. (3 day probation)

Win: I would loving kill you all if I could.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

woozy pawsies posted:

I love to cum, hard, into vaginas. I love to stick my turgid cock into an engorged pussy and blow some cum out of my dick and into the pussy. I like it when my sperm meets an egg, an ovum, and creates a baby. This feels good to me. It’s great to see this little being, aka crotch spawn, that came from I hosed hard and cummed—into a pussy. It’s amazing and wonderful to see. But it also feels good, no it feels great. I love to get girls pregnant, I love to do this by having sex with them. I gently caress them, by thrusting my hips with my boner at the end, into their vaginal opening, which will be wet. The egg, or ovum, will be ready to be impregnated by my semen. This is how God intended it. That’s why it feels so drat, god drat, good when I blow my cum out of my dick and my dick is in a pussy and now it’s squishing the cum out. Nature is made of an infinite amount of fractals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOMIqUwxCn0

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Josef bugman posted:

Can I ask a quick question? If it's a biological need, then how do people choosing to not have children fit into this framework?

Some species have a reproductive strategy where particularly crappy individuals won't mate for the overall good of the species. In humans, this is D&D posters who cry into their funko pops and explain that they're not getting laid by choice because life is suffering

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CountryMatters posted:

Some species have a reproductive strategy where particularly crappy individuals won't mate for the overall good of the species. In humans, this is D&D posters who cry into their funko pops and explain that they're not getting laid by choice because life is suffering

See I don't get this. Not the point your making, that is fair enough if you believe it. But why go "all of you thinking otherwise are gross nerds who can't get laid, hahahahaha" as if you aren't posting on the internet forum equivalent of the arse end of nowhere?

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Josef bugman posted:

See I don't get this. Not the point your making, that is fair enough if you believe it. But why go "all of you thinking otherwise are gross nerds who can't get laid, hahahahaha" as if you aren't posting on the internet forum equivalent of the arse end of nowhere?

Nihilism is fake bullshit mate. It's 100% a cope. Pretty much no one who claims that "all life is suffering and having kids is evil because living is nothing but pain" actually seems to demonstrate they believe that with their actions. If you say that and you aren't either acting like a jainist monk, or plotting a captain-planet-style mass extinction, then it's just an excuse because your life is crap and wallowing in bitterness is easier than trying to sort your issues.

Most of us are actually having a good time and don't think that living is misery. Later maybe I'll gently caress my husband and get high. It'll be great

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CountryMatters posted:

Nihilism is fake bullshit mate. It's 100% a cope. Pretty much no one who claims that "all life is suffering and having kids is evil because living is nothing but pain" actually seems to demonstrate they believe that with their actions. If you say that and you aren't either acting like a jainist monk, or plotting a captain-planet-style mass extinction, then it's just an excuse because your life is crap and wallowing in bitterness is easier than trying to sort your issues.

Most of us are actually having a good time and don't think that living is misery. Later maybe I'll gently caress my husband and get high. It'll be great

I keep seeing this term used and I have no idea what it means. What is "a cope" or "copium"?

I mean that's fair. But going "all of you are stupid bastards for thinking this, learn to be more like me who fucks" doesn't actually work to change peoples minds or stop them being unhappy?

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Josef bugman posted:

I keep seeing this term used and I have no idea what it means. What is "a cope" or "copium"?

I mean that's fair. But going "all of you are stupid bastards for thinking this, learn to be more like me who fucks" doesn't actually work to change peoples minds or stop them being unhappy?

Being sad is fine, but extrapolating your sadness to a moral or some sort of judgement on humanity is incredibly narcissistic, which is the reason people are saying it's cope or stupid. You can't say "I'm feeling sad, therefore all life is fundamentally suffering and no one should have kids and humanity should end" because your own personal feelings don't dictate how everyone else feels and thinks. Clearly, not everyone else outside your bubble is suffering all the time.

It comes off as weird and pretentious and kinda like something a teenage emo would say, not something a grown adult should still be muttering about.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
You guys know that you can gently caress without necessarily having kids, right?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Josef bugman posted:

An excuse. Copium is internet bullshit speak for a coping mechanism used to deny reality.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CountryMatters posted:

It comes off as weird and pretentious and kinda like something a teenage emo would say, not something a grown adult should still be muttering about.

I'll take your word for it. I don't really agree wholeheartedly though. Like with the line above, your essentially going "You can't think this, adults wouldn't do that" seems to ignore that if adults are doing it, it's something that adults would do.

Edit: Sorry, that was rude. It's just that I don't think it's wrong for people to necessarily feel those feelings, there appears to be no harm other than done to yourself and the main objections to it seem to be more focussed on calling the individual person an idiot for thinking like that.

Mulva posted:

An excuse. Copium is internet bullshit speak for a coping mechanism used to deny reality.

Ohhhh, got it, thank you very much!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 10, 2021

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

Nihilism is fake bullshit mate. It's 100% a cope.

#notallnihilists. You don’t have to be an ascerbic prick just because you believe nothing has meaning or even has the physical existence we think things have.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think the Buddha's First Noble Truth is pretty much undeniable. Suffering is not the total meaning of dukkha but the idea that:
we want things
we will never get most things we want which leads to frustration
and the pleasure of the things we do obtain is ephemeral because everything is

Is all pretty undeniable. As humans never stop desiring things and every single desire is unsatisfactory in some way, life is suffering. Just the other day I had somebody try to gotcha me on this, comparing a cancer patient to somebody who can't get their Starbucks coffee. No, not all suffering is the same but the frustration of our wants and desires is absolutely a form of suffering. This sort of idea is hardly unique to Buddhism, either.. Plenty of thinkers have understood it in human history.

Now, just because life is suffering doesn't mean we shouldn't create new life. There are things more important than pain and disappointment. I think this is where some posters in here are going astray. I agree with the premise sort of and object to the solution/conclusion, I guess.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think the first noble truth can go for a long walk off a short pier, to be blunt. "Oh, only your mind and heart perceive suffering, if you stop wanting things you'd stop suffering" is far more objectionable than the idea that life lacks meaning. It's the same with the loving Stoics "oh, if you stopped desiring things you'd stop suffering" is the most asinine loving conclusion one can come to and it's no wonder that the majority of the people who followed those particular precepts were soldiers or emperors, people with a lot of power to stop doing lovely things who inevitably decided "nah, going to continue doing terrible poo poo".

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Individual failures or decisions to not reproduce doesn't mean that the species as a whole isn't going to try to reproduce. Reproduction is necessary for life and living things are going to reproduce. It's a biological constant and not something worth moralizing or even makes sense to moralize.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's also all still psudo-intellectual nonsense too because we're trying to moralize reproduction, something that is necessary to life, while also barely defining what moral or morality means here. It seems to just be a vague "suffering is bad" so no one should have kids because they might suffer. But that's not very well defined and really doesn't say anything about the morality of having a child. Honestly it's almost narcissistic to say that if you have a child you then hold a responsibility for any and all suffering that person ever experiences. What an outsized ego to think you have any control over the flow of time or the random happenstance that makes up life.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

CountryMatters posted:

That does sound pretty great.

I think I have a good counter for the life is suffering crowd.

https://youtu.be/eLstg78SxUQ

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Individual failures or decisions to not reproduce doesn't mean that the species as a whole isn't going to try to reproduce. Reproduction is necessary for life and living things are going to reproduce. It's a biological constant and not something worth moralizing or even makes sense to moralize.

It's also all still psudo-intellectual nonsense too because we're trying to moralize reproduction, something that is necessary to life, while also barely defining what moral or morality means here. It seems to just be a vague "suffering is bad" so no one should have kids because they might suffer. But that's not very well defined and really doesn't say anything about the morality of having a child. Honestly it's almost narcissistic to say that if you have a child you then hold a responsibility for any and all suffering that person ever experiences. What an outsized ego to think you have any control over the flow of time or the random happenstance that makes up life.

I mean one can be an individual conclusion but not a wider one, but I get your meaning.

I mean we moralise eating and drinking, both things that are necesarry but we continually debate over what and when and in what manner eating and drinking is "moral" or "good". Alongside that, we do have a responsibility towards that which we create. Would you say that someone who created things with a specific purpose that were then generalised are not responsible for the harm caused by them?

Life is suffering. Suffering is not life.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I mean one can be an individual conclusion but not a wider one, but I get your meaning.

I mean we moralise eating and drinking, both things that are necesarry but we continually debate over what and when and in what manner eating and drinking is "moral" or "good". Alongside that, we do have a responsibility towards that which we create. Would you say that someone who created things with a specific purpose that were then generalised are not responsible for the harm caused by them?

Life is suffering. Suffering is not life.

We moralize how to eat, not the actual act of eating. If someone said "It's wrong to eat because eating sustains life and sustaining your life will eventually lead to suffering" we would laugh at them because that's rediculous. But that's also pretty much the same argument that was started here. We can moralize the act of reproduction, that's incredibly common and people discuss that all the time. But the question of "is it moral to reproduce?" is still going to be like asking if it's moral for the sky to be blue. Living creatures reproduce, as a species they are going to try to reproduce and populate, these things will not change. They are so wildly out of our control that it's insane to talk about controlling them.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

We moralize how to eat, not the actual act of eating. If someone said "It's wrong to eat because eating sustains life and sustaining your life will eventually lead to suffering" we would laugh at them because that's rediculous. But that's also pretty much the same argument that was started here. We can moralize the act of reproduction, that's incredibly common and people discuss that all the time. But the question of "is it moral to reproduce?" is still going to be like asking if it's moral for the sky to be blue. Living creatures reproduce, as a species they are going to try to reproduce and populate, these things will not change. They are so wildly out of our control that it's insane to talk about controlling them.

I mean, again, Jains would disagree. But also I do take your meaning.

We can ask why the sky is the colour that it is whilst also bearing in mind how stuff is vs how stuff "should" be, as it were. Most folks reproduce, but a growing minority does not, does that mean that the minority is immoral to do so? If so, why?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I mean, again, Jains would disagree. But also I do take your meaning.

We can ask why the sky is the colour that it is whilst also bearing in mind how stuff is vs how stuff "should" be, as it were. Most folks reproduce, but a growing minority does not, does that mean that the minority is immoral to do so? If so, why?

No, there is no morality in reproduction. It just is. It's what living things do in the same way they eat, sleep, and poo poo. You can not apply morals to something a species has no real control over. If we're concerned about suffering than we can look to things we can control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

No, there is no morality in reproduction. It just is. It's what living things do in the same way they eat, sleep, and poo poo. You can not apply morals to something a species has no real control over. If we're concerned about suffering than we can look to things we can control.

I would disagree, only personally mark you. Nothing "just is" everything done or currently doing needs to be justified in some way. If you claim that "oh morality doesn't apply to X activity" then you may as well give up on moral reasoning as a whole.