Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StrixNebulosa posted:

What cliffhanger?

IIRC: AI destroys all the corporations, starts killing a lot of people, leaves you hanging.

ToxicFrog posted:

Apropos of this, I'm feeling kind of burned out on Hades; it's a great game but I've reached the point where I have a bunch more plot that I want to happen but I don't really want to do more runs, especially since a winning run is about an hour long realtime and most of my runs are wins now.

Yup this is what happened with me. Every run after a while felt the same, and I still had to beat the game a bunch more if I wanted the "real" ending or the resolution to all the various side-plots. I think I went at it for a bit too long, because it really soured me on the game.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh re: Invisible Inc that is the ending, it’s not a cliffhanger?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh re: Invisible Inc that is the ending, it’s not a cliffhanger?
Eh, guess it depends on how you look at it, I just remember I found it pretty unsatisfying. Though tbf, it's been like 5+ years since I played it last.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its def a sequel hook.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Eh, guess it depends on how you look at it, I just remember I found it pretty unsatisfying. Though tbf, it's been like 5+ years since I played it last.

I mean, it completely changes the status quo and makes the game unplayable from then on as multiple mechanics have to be changed.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

ToxicFrog posted:

Apropos of this, I'm feeling kind of burned out on Hades; it's a great game but I've reached the point where I have a bunch more plot that I want to happen but I don't really want to do more runs, especially since a winning run is about an hour long realtime and most of my runs are wins now.

Switch to using the Eris aspect rail + Zeus and you can speed up your runs quite a bit. Tho even then it’s still like half an hour for a winning run, so not helping tooooo much. I also eventually got tired of it (possibly before plot ran out? Not sure how much I missed), but that switch gave it a bit more life for me.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Man Trials of fire is good. Thanks to all who recc'd it in the previous pages.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One thing I haven't understood yet in Trials of Fire is how much damage does a character need to take in battle to lose health in overworld?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

One thing I haven't understood yet in Trials of Fire is how much damage does a character need to take in battle to lose health in overworld?

Your armour provides a buffer of added combat health. One that's gone your real health starts to get affected. I agree there should be better ui for this.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Osmosisch posted:

Your armour provides a buffer of added combat health. One that's gone your real health starts to get affected. I agree there should be better ui for this.

Indeed. In battle you can mouseover a character to see his base health (red nr) and armor (yellow nr) if I remember correctly. Damage always lowers armor first.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean, it completely changes the status quo and makes the game unplayable from then on as multiple mechanics have to be changed.

Yeah, it read to me as a fairly conclusive "oh god what have we done" cyberpunk horror ending - you've gone from a grinding corporate dystopia to the nightmarish reign of a callous synthetic god.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Walh Hara posted:

Indeed. In battle you can mouseover a character to see his base health (red nr) and armor (yellow nr) if I remember correctly. Damage always lowers armor first.

That's it. And most of the time, you gain armor by wearing heavy equipment (like helm, shield, armor).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I completed my first run in Trials of Fire. Am I meant to pick one of the named quests or run a random one again? Is there a continuation to the story?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Has anyone had the opportunity to try out Quinterra yet? "Roguelike strategy game" isn't a very deep well and I'm intensely curious.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hm I am interested but jeez not exactly the most discernible apperance there

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Popete posted:

I completed my first run in Trials of Fire. Am I meant to pick one of the named quests or run a random one again? Is there a continuation to the story?

You can play what you want. A named quest will always have a similar structure, for instance the same bosses. I think each named quest is independent.
There is also the combat run, the boss rush.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I played a good amount of Slay the Spire, I'm not great at these games but I have a handle on them. I beat my very first run of Trials of Fire pretty easily, like at no point was I ever close to losing. Does the progression scale in anyway? Or do I just need to bump the difficulty up to hard?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
The later quests are supposed to be more difficult.

I hope they keep working on the game post 1.0 too - some important gameplay elements were changed a short time ago (and kept changing throughout EA) and I'm sure they're far from balanced atm. The game definitely felt harder in EA whenever I tried it. UI also has some issues.

Also, I wish they'd gone with a different art style, maybe even 2D - all the brown just makes it look so boring I'm never excited to launch it despite really liking the actual gameplay. It's just everything else is a bit meh.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burning Rain posted:

I'm never excited to launch it despite really liking the actual gameplay. It's just everything else is a bit meh.
That basically sums up the whole reason I fell off Trials of Fire, too. Mechanically, it's an excellent game, though I think the travel system is a bit needlessly bloated and fiddly, when a 'move directly between destinations with random events' system would've done just fine. Everything is very good and finely done, I just don't have anything that hooks me.

I think the problem is that, as well-designed as the mechanics are, and as perfectly competent the narrative is, there's just nothing there that sticks in my head even when I'm not playing. No wandering thoughts about what kinds of builds might work, or whether a specific combinations of cards is a trap.

It doesn't help that Card Hunter has been around since 2013 and, F2P or not, has basically the exact same combat system, including the 'your gear decides your deck' character customization. Gloomhaven does it even better (or will, once the tabletop campaign is finally properly added to the digital edition), including metaprogression and a (kind of) compelling plotline.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 11, 2021

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Popete posted:

I played a good amount of Slay the Spire, I'm not great at these games but I have a handle on them. I beat my very first run of Trials of Fire pretty easily, like at no point was I ever close to losing. Does the progression scale in anyway? Or do I just need to bump the difficulty up to hard?

Yeah, you certainly need to bump the difficulty up to hard. Since you've played STS you're clearly experienced with card and tactical games so it's not that surprising you found it easy. Luckily you can quite easily up the difficulty straight away (unlike say Monster Train).

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is there a cheat or anything to get all the unlocks? I don't care much about the meta progression and I want more interesting classes.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is there a cheat or anything to get all the unlocks? I don't care much about the meta progression and I want more interesting classes.

Within the game: Options -> Gameplay -> Unlock Features. No need for a cheat at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Assuming you try exploring any of the game space you'll unlock the Warlord by playing the game once, the next two classes by playing twice and the remaining three within another game or two. I think it's done a pretty good job of opening things up quickly while avoiding information overload.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
SummonerRL with a nice forward surge on most all fronts:

https://nymlus.itch.io/summoner/devlog/241626/summonerrl-v220-released

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Someone recently mentioned a game with procedurally (or randomly) generated skill/talent trees, and that looked interesting to me, but now I can't find the post. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Gerdalti posted:

Someone recently mentioned a game with procedurally (or randomly) generated skill/talent trees, and that looked interesting to me, but now I can't find the post. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about but recently Tangledeep released Ronin mode, a mode where all the skills you can learn are randomly generated at the start of a run. IIRC it also includes skills you can't normally get, stuff like monster skills and I think a few skills completely unique to Ronin.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Gerdalti posted:

Asura was mentioned in a different context so not sure if it's the one you're thinking of, but it does have that:

ExiledTinkerer posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/524640/Asura_Vengeance_Edition/ Is Buried Gem Goodness, if eclectic---incredibly "starving, scrappy indie" given the how and where.

45-hour per run, roughly~

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any interesting roguelikes on the horizon to keep an eye out for?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Any interesting roguelikes on the horizon to keep an eye out for?

Jupiter Hell and Caves of Qud should be dropping this year, that'll be awesome.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StrixNebulosa posted:

Jupiter Hell and Caves of Qud should be dropping this year, that'll be awesome.
Huh, CoQ actually getting a full release? Never thought I'd see the day.

Gotta add those two to my wishlist it seems, cheers!

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Glare Seethe posted:

Asura was mentioned in a different context so not sure if it's the one you're thinking of, but it does have that:

I think it was Asura, thanks!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Jupiter Hell and Arcanium also joined The Potent Update Club today:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/811320/view/3117029055829277812 Terminals/questing/Proper Exotics/etc~

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1056840/view/3122658555364598383 More...Most Things, than not~

Asura's only Great Flaw is the cliffhanger ending that BEGS for a final Escalation that, alas, may yet not come as their next project isn't yet another expansion for it(lying in graceful repose for awhile now) so much as something of an RPG successor they've been slow simmering on---which could/likely will wind up great if Asura is any indication, but folks'll See as they endeavor...

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1471410/SYNTHETIK_2/

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Roboquest now also having one of those "Massive, Ground Up Updates" on the heels of the rest of late:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/692890/view/3094511057682338062

Curse of the Dead Gods linking up with Dead Cells shortly and Dandy Ace pulling off a substantial Game Feel update really does have April unusually hopping thus far.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This makes me happy :neckbeard:

:golgo:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Hybrid Escalation continues apace~

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1554970/Rogue_Spirit/

quote:

Reality and the spirit world are now intertwined: defeat the armies of Chaos to save the people of the Kingdom of Midra from demonic invaders.

Rogue Spirit is a 3D rogue-lite action game with light stealth elements. Play as the Ghost of the Prince of the Kingdom of Midra, possess enemy characters and absorb their unique skills to fight the evil presence that has corrupted your land.

Features:
• Action game with stealth elements in a rogue-lite game loop
• Play as the steadfast Ghost of the Prince of Midra
• Possess the enemies you fight with and absorb their combat features to go on in the battle at your best
• Master different characters' playstyles, improve your skills, and adapt to an ever-changing world
• Explore the wonderful Kingdom of Midra and learn its legends and lore
• 20 characters with different abilities, weapons and playstyles
• 10 procedurally-generated levels set in 5 different biomes
• Dozens of essences and skills to make each run different
• Unlock permanent upgrades between runs
• Secrets and bosses are waiting for you
• 3D graphics inspired by traditional Asian designs

Even just The Look of this alone compared to somebody even thinking about jousting on this front a mere few years on back is wild.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ToxicFrog posted:

turn up the heat :retrogames:

(kidding, but it did get a lot more life out of it for me)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ToxicFrog posted:

what

i know the game doesn't count the loading screen animations and interstitial areas towards your in-game run time but at worst that adds a couple of minutes to a ~20 minute run, maybe 25 if you have really tedious heat options like more enemies / more health / first damage ignored

what are you doing that takes an hour

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 14, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I was gonna say, my hades runs were basically all 20-30 minutes all the way up to 32 heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Aesthetic Wars rage unto the Not Distant Future, and your spirit is in need of tempering if you don't confuse the titles as is just and proper~

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1323470/GetsuFumaDen_Undying_Moon/