Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Spatulater bro! posted:

MVD Entertainment Group is currently having a sale for 50% off Blue Underground titles. The UHDs are $24.95 each. Tempting. https://mvdshop.com/collections/blue-underground-spring-cleaning-sale

I'm amazed BU is still around. They've been coasting off of the same 30 titles for two decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Spatulater bro! posted:

MVD Entertainment Group is currently having a sale for 50% off Blue Underground titles. The UHDs are $24.95 each. Tempting. https://mvdshop.com/collections/blue-underground-spring-cleaning-sale

Well poo poo

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"

John Romero posted:

is the parasite 4K worth not getting the criterion

can criterion just loving get into 4K if the dudes in a warehouse in Bridgeport can do it they can afford it

I bought the standard blu first then got the 4k when that came out and I thought the difference was pretty noticeable. The blu looks great but the 4k is next level for me. Im not much of an extras guy so I cant speak for that

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Vagabundo posted:

Eureka should be higher, Arrow (and by extension their affiliated labels like Third Window) and Second Sight not being there is a significant omission, Criterion should be S-Tier, and any company that doesn't branch out beyond one region coding (or at least offer region coding free discs) does not deserve to be considered S-Tier. Yeah, that's right, Shout and Kino Lorber, I'm calling you out.

Your last point is not really a fair part of this imaginary rubric — most labels CAN’T offer multiple-region discs because of the terms under which they license their releases. Indicator offered all their Sony films region-free until recently, because Sony saw their sales numbers and went “huh...we could release a lot of these ourselves in America, and we can’t have a competitor that’s going to outshine us.” In not so many words.

Second Run can do this, because their licensors (the Czech Film Archive, Pedro Costa, etc.) don’t care about region coding. Kino can’t, because they license from Paramount, MGM, etc.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Origami Dali posted:

I'm amazed BU is still around. They've been coasting off of the same 30 titles for two decades.

I thought that the name was familiar then realized they’re the ones who were doing all the mondo cane and faces of death rereleases when I was a 14 year old edgelord

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got lucky at a thrift store today and got all of these for $2 each.

Apparently My Tutor is an OOP Scorpion Releasing movie, and worth a good amount.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

wa27 posted:

Apparently My Tutor is an OOP Scorpion Releasing movie, and worth a good amount.

wow someone must’ve died

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

wa27 posted:

Nice, My Tutor is surprisingly good. Saw it because of the Too Cool For School set (12 films across like 3 DVDs, was like $5 when I got it) and that was the best film on there by a wide margin.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

John Romero posted:

wow someone must’ve died

This is why I'm going to be buried with my blu-ray collection. Terrible for the environment but worth it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vince MechMahon posted:

This is why I'm going to be buried with my blu-ray collection. Terrible for the environment but worth it.

I’ve got so much stuff that I’m unwilling to part with that I’ve decided that the Egyptians had the right idea, and I’m going to be buried in a massive tomb complex complete with booby traps and spooky ancient curses and poo poo. My tomb is going to be loving fantastic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve got so much stuff that I’m unwilling to part with that I’ve decided that the Egyptians had the right idea, and I’m going to be buried in a massive tomb complex complete with booby traps and spooky ancient curses and poo poo. My tomb is going to be loving fantastic.

My tomb is going to be like that basement video store posted a while back. My sarcophagus will be in the viewing room

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

enjoy young Crispin Glover & a hilarious soundtrack

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

MAN the Best Buy movie section is sad these days. The one I went to today had 2 small fixtures that were in the appliance section so close together you could barely walk between them.

maybe there will be some good clearance soon!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We watched the people vs larry flynt, was a pretty good movie, not too many people talk about it. Crispin glover was great in it as always

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

John Romero posted:

MAN the Best Buy movie section is sad these days. The one I went to today had 2 small fixtures that were in the appliance section so close together you could barely walk between them.

maybe there will be some good clearance soon!

Most likely as they wind down physical media, anything will be sent to local distribution centers for sale on-line.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, I'm accepting that all my home video purchases are going to be mail order.

And maybe around Christmas time. It's a bit of a shame.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I started my life mail ordering all my media and it looks like I’ll go to the end online ordering my media

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What are the good non-amazon places to order these days?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

dorium posted:

I started my life mail ordering all my media and it looks like I’ll go to the end online ordering my media

The Columbia House penny scam is coming back for C21, baby! Time to start using all my friends' addresses again.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Iron Crowned posted:

I've been pretty impressed with DiabolikDVD. I also like to order directly from Criterion, Arrow, Shout Factory, etc. when it makes sense to.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Iron Crowned posted:

For general studio releases, I often go with Best Buy or Target. Best Buy is usually comparable to Amazon for price. Target is often pricier, but when you catch the B2G1 sale you can save a lot. Their boutique label selection isn’t bad either. You can always risk going from Deep Discount too. I’d never pre-order from them again, but I haven’t had issues buying in stock items.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The Columbia House penny scam is coming back for C21, baby! Time to start using all my friends' addresses again.

Hell yea! I built a huge cd collection I still have to this day like that.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

After growing up and talking to lots of friends about this apparently I was the only sucker who actually bought the 4 CDs at full price to fulfill my obligation.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I got so many DVDs from Columbia House. There'd always be special codes you could use to make the deal even better, so I'd end up getting like a dozen DVDs at (averaged) about $9 each, which back in 2004 was a great price.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Iron Crowned posted:

Deepdiscount.com is pretty good. Speaking of Amazon I guess they're the Warner Archives store front now. You can still get them from Not Amazon and deep discount in particular sells them for good prices.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
also gonna recommend DiabolikDVD and Grindhouse Video, I get pretty much everything I buy online from one of those two or directly from the labels. There are a variety of buy/sell groups on Facebook too that I’ve had good luck with, but YMMV on those of course

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

What ever happened to Anchor Bay? That was my top tier DVD label in the early 00s.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I got real sad the other day because I remembered Tai Seng Video Marketing and the number of movies I bought just off the strength of their dumb trailers for, like, Bride with White Hair. Just seeing the Tai Seng logo on something when I was a kid was exciting because it was the only way of knowing at that time with Hong Kong cinema that you weren't going to be getting some kind of bootleg with undecipherable subs.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Boinks posted:

What ever happened to Anchor Bay? That was my top tier DVD label in the early 00s.

It was folded into Lionsgate by Starz.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Anchor Bay was in their prime when Bill Lustig was running the show. After he left to form BU, they just kinda faded out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I actually most remember Anchor Bay from their VHS releases in the 90s. DVD was just getting off the ground but they put out really neat-looking letterboxed editions. Their double-cassette of Dawn of the Dead (the longer rough cut) was beautiful.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’ve got that Ultimate Dawn of the Dead cut and both Anchor Bay Dawn/Day blu-rays.

They did the lords work.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Their LE remaster of Halloween with the lenticular cover was the first DVD release that really blew me away with the difference in transfer quality. I had their earlier letterboxed VHS release that came with the Laurie/Michael snowglobe and played both simultaneously to compare the picture quality and I couldn't believe how much better the DVD looked.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I still own Anchor Bay's Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition and the Divimax Day of the Dead. I miss Anchor Bay. :smith:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Scream Factory announcement:

***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***
We see in the future that we’re going to present you with an upgraded version of Stephen King’s and David Cronenberg’s THE DEAD ZONE on Blu-ray this Summer! Here are the early details we have at current time to share:
• National street date for North America (Region A) is July 27th.
• This will be presented as a Collector’s Edition and will come guaranteed with a slipcover in its first three months of release.
• The newly commissioned artwork pictured comes to us from artist Hugh Fleming. This art will be front-facing, and the reverse side of the wrap will feature the original theatrical artwork.
• Extras will be announced on a later date but we can confirm today that there will be a new HD transfer of the film!
Pre-orders on our site begin today which includes the Blu-ray plus a rolled 18” x 24” poster of the new art. The poster is exclusive to us and will be made at a limited-run of 700 pieces:
https://bit.ly/3d8XSmg

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Scream Factory announcement:

***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***
We see in the future that we’re going to present you with an upgraded version of Stephen King’s and David Cronenberg’s THE DEAD ZONE on Blu-ray this Summer! Here are the early details we have at current time to share:
• National street date for North America (Region A) is July 27th.
• This will be presented as a Collector’s Edition and will come guaranteed with a slipcover in its first three months of release.
• The newly commissioned artwork pictured comes to us from artist Hugh Fleming. This art will be front-facing, and the reverse side of the wrap will feature the original theatrical artwork.
• Extras will be announced on a later date but we can confirm today that there will be a new HD transfer of the film!
Pre-orders on our site begin today which includes the Blu-ray plus a rolled 18” x 24” poster of the new art. The poster is exclusive to us and will be made at a limited-run of 700 pieces:
https://bit.ly/3d8XSmg

It's Cronenberg. It should be a 4k UHD.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

It's Cronenberg a movie I like. It should be a 4k UHD.

Agreed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

It's Cronenberg. It should be a 4k UHD.

At this point I'm confused when anything isn't. I think I might be done buying regular blus.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Speaking of which, when the hell are we going to get a remaster of The Fly? The available editions are decidedly mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Didn’t we just get that cool Fly boxset with all of the Fly movies?