Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Zaphod42 posted:

Not wanting to have a dumb as rocks story doesn't mean you're playing diablo "for the story" :rolleyes: this is a colossally bad take.

If anything that's the whole loving problem we're complaining about. The game was made as though to appeal to people who play ARPGs for story, which is not us. That's the whole issue. Thanks.

This is like arguing that you watch action movies for the action so it doesn't matter if the story is dumb and the characters do dumb things. Yeah, the point is the action, but the story needs to not get in the way or try to overly show off in a dumb way.

Meh, whatever. Glad you can get triggered because some internet fellow plays games different than you or has a differing opinion. But sure, put paragraphs of poo poo I didn't say in my mouth.

I can't say I gave 2 shits about what's happening in poe (or grim dawn :v:) when I played through it though despite skipping the dialog and cut scenes whatever happening is absurd. For a game that is mostly about endgame and getting loot with a ton of repetition I can't say story really matters all that much to me. The gameplay and those things matter more so I'll forgive dumb story beats. Would it be nice if it weren't? Sure but I just don't care as long as the rest of gravy.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What do you figure is a good estimate in hours of the amount of time required to grind out great runewords? Not trading, doing optimal farming for them.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

great runewords? no trading? thousands of hours, easily

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If the rune word requires a high rune you might as well forget about it. Even with the substantially increased drop rates introduced in 1.13 we’re still talking about odds comparable to winning the lottery for some of the very rarest runes.

If it can be made with stuff that the countess can drop then by my own experience it’s very doable but still requires a certain time commitment for some of the rarest mid runes.

There are a ton of really good rune words though that don’t require high runes.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

codo27 posted:

What do you figure is a good estimate in hours of the amount of time required to grind out great runewords? Not trading, doing optimal farming for them.
1.13 increased drop rate of runes a lot compared to 1.12 and earlier. On slash diablo I've farmed enigma in under 100 hours 2 times using a sorc with fastest or second fastest fcr breakpoint and doing ~1 min seal glitch chaos runs. But it has nodrop 0 so it's like doing players 7 with players 1 monster toughness. You could do this with players 7 on single player provided you were geared enough to be a lit sorc or blizz/nova or fb/nova sorc. It's only on official bnet that some issues crop up.

This is also the least boring way to farm runes if you like teleporting real fast and having to play sort of accurately to not drop dead. I do this with 2 accounts so I am killing quest glitched diablo which means lots of random uniques & you can start doing it ~6-8 hours after ladder reset if the second account is a barb for bo. Early in the season the runs take 2-2:30 or so because I spec blizzard. I also play hardcore so don't really want to die & play kinda cautious.

A seal glitch run goes like:

1. Teleport to the first seal (if blizz I prefer vizier, if lit/etc I prefer infector)
2. Pop both seals, kill boss
3. Teleport to seis, pop seal, kill seis
4. Teleport to last seal boss, pop only boss' seal, kill boss
5. teleport to where lots of mobs were in CS then quickly teleport back and pop seal
6. go look for loot & keep diablo's spawn area loaded by checking in every ~5s so he spawns fast

It works by exploiting that the game loads all mobs that are near you for a few seconds after you see them. When the seal is popped everything dies & drops loot normally although it's not affected by mf. The good news is rune drops never use mf. You also don't get exp from seal kills which is why this is a good 1p strategy.

You can get a bit more advanced by only popping one seal at the first boss if there are loads of trash mobs and stuff that won't accidentally die. Then you do the same thing but pop both seals at the last one, kill, teleport to load, then pop the final seal.

Another good technique that's cool & not exploited enough by even people who are good at this is to drop a tp near the entrance if there are mobs there so you don't have to teleport all the way back & they'll still get killed by the seal even if you don't go there. This is a pretty cool technique in any kind of chaos game even if it's not a deliberate glitch run. In classic chaos runs this has been used by top ladder players since long before xpac even came out.

On real bnet you'd need multiple ips & cdkeys to not get temp banned doing this. You can only do something like under 20 games per hour but under way less than that per hour over a few hour period without getting temp banned on bnet. So you'd have to switch keys/ips pretty aggressively. This is one of the main reasons I stopped playing on bnet. The rules for game creation only work for bots -- not real players trying to play the game. Bots don't care if they're wasting time doing a bunch of areas that take 10x-20x longer to get the same results to avoid realm down.

If they eased up game restrictions recently I'm unaware because I haven't played on bnet since 2013-2014. Every change they made just favored botting and punished trying to actually play.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 10, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I didn't know poo poo about the game as a kid, and now I'm old with a job and a finacee and dogs and obviously cant burn a whole summer just sat up playing the game. But if I sink a couple hundred hours into a character I dont want to still be a gimp. I know I cant be top of the ladder but to outfit a character to PvE endgame without dying every 2 seconds shouldn't be reserved only for those with nothing else going on in their lives/streamers (redundant?)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

codo27 posted:

I didn't know poo poo about the game as a kid, and now I'm old with a job and a finacee and dogs and obviously cant burn a whole summer just sat up playing the game. But if I sink a couple hundred hours into a character I dont want to still be a gimp. I know I cant be top of the ladder but to outfit a character to PvE endgame without dying every 2 seconds shouldn't be reserved only for those with nothing else going on in their lives/streamers (redundant?)
Playing the game has came a long way. Check out some hell speed run videos to get some idea of just how straightforward it is to gear a character to not die. Now imagine you take it a bit slower, maybe spend an hour or three farming some basic gear at the end of nm/hell andy/pits/ancient tunnels, and aren't under leveled like the speed runner.

You'd probably be surprised how far you get just playing an hour here and there. Then you'll start to wonder what the hell you were doing when you were younger. Only ~18-25 without help and the mid & high 90s are brutal exp wise.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 10, 2021

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
It took me ~5 years of off and on botting to find my own Zod rune.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Laslow posted:

It took me ~5 years of off and on botting to find my own Zod rune.
Zod is still real rare and you probably aren't going to find one. Ohms are real common now.

1.13b drop rates are ~3x-4x higher than 1.12 drop rates for most high runes. For something like a cow that means going from 1/3million to 1/1million for a jah.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 10, 2021

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Khorne posted:

nodrop 0

oh so not the same experience at all lmao

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I wrote a single player bot to open LK chests. It came out to something like ~10-15 hours of runs per Sur+ rune. So at max efficiency just clicking LK chests in single player you're probably looking at 40+ hours to get Jah and Ber for Enigma.

Runes are kinda stupidly rare. If the drop rate is balanced at all, it's for multiplayer, trading, and botting.

And LK runs eclipse anything else for high runes over time, the single player nerds have done the math over the years. Any other method will be slower, and LK runs are only feasible single player.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

oh so not the same experience at all lmao
p7/1 is ~14% nodrop from normal monsters. It's not a significant enough change to call it not the same at all.

p1/1 is ~62.5%.

If no drop0 takes 1000 runs to find an enigma on average then p7/1 would take ~1162. p1 would take ~2100. p8/2 would take ~1098. The actual game difference is likely to be smaller due to how nodrop works with non-normal mobs.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 10, 2021

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
anyone playing a paladin in the new pd2 season? want to give it a shot but I'm not sure if it's worth going with holy bolt anymore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Suburban Dad posted:

Meh, whatever. Glad you can get triggered because some internet fellow plays games different than you or has a differing opinion. But sure, put paragraphs of poo poo I didn't say in my mouth.

I can't say I gave 2 shits about what's happening in poe (or grim dawn :v:) when I played through it though despite skipping the dialog and cut scenes whatever happening is absurd. For a game that is mostly about endgame and getting loot with a ton of repetition I can't say story really matters all that much to me. The gameplay and those things matter more so I'll forgive dumb story beats. Would it be nice if it weren't? Sure but I just don't care as long as the rest of gravy.

What the gently caress?

Because I argued with your :rolleyes: "who plays diablo for the story?" remark, that means I'm "triggered" that you play different than me?

How did you misread what I said that poorly?

I am literally agreeing with you that we play the game the same way. Neither of us play it for the story. That is the whole point. How does that mean I'm triggered? Jesus christ dude.

You completely read what I said backwards. How the gently caress did you do that?

What paragraphs of poo poo?? Lmao what drugs are you on?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Zaphod42 posted:

What the gently caress?

Because I argued with your :rolleyes: "who plays diablo for the story?" remark, that means I'm "triggered" that you play different than me?

I am literally agreeing with you that we play the game the same way. Neither of us play it for the story. That is the whole point. How does that mean I'm triggered? Jesus christ dude.

You completely read what I said backwards. How the gently caress did you do that?

You come off as very aggressive and feisty in your posts and it felt like an attack. Just like this time...because I made a joke about the diablo story.

Star Man posted:

Jesus christ, go out for a walk or something. Go get some ice cream. Something.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 12, 2021

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Zaphod42 posted:

What the gently caress?

I would suggest that you chill the gently caress out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I would suggest that you chill the gently caress out.

Yeah I'm sorry but read the post I was responding to. He needs to chill too.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'm sorry but read the post I was responding to. He needs to chill too.

If you're going to keep having a meltdown I can just send you on your way.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gone Fashing posted:

anyone playing a paladin in the new pd2 season? want to give it a shot but I'm not sure if it's worth going with holy bolt anymore.

havent played the new season but i wouldnt do holy bolt again. it was novel and very very OP but it was also very, very boring. did they remove the shotgun or smth?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i heard they removed the shotgun and also apparently nerfed the damage which seemed unnecessary tbh. but then the holy bolt guide on reddit says the healing part still shotguns (?) so idk. i'm confused.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gone Fashing posted:

i heard they removed the shotgun and also apparently nerfed the damage which seemed unnecessary tbh. but then the holy bolt guide on reddit says the healing part still shotguns (?) so idk. i'm confused.

that seems fair. it was pretty busted once you got a few fcr breakpoints in with triple bolt blast. but also super boring. like beyond boring. lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i got no idea what toon ima roll for d2r. waffling between trapsin, hammerding, idk maybe javazon but theyre zzz and not playable without an ethy titans. maybe a hc zoo lagr0mancer =DDD

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Smythe posted:

that seems fair. it was pretty busted once you got a few fcr breakpoints in with triple bolt blast. but also super boring. like beyond boring. lmao

:thunk: well im not sure what to roll now. maybe i'll do a necro instead

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pnb necro with extra p

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pnb necro with extra p

how are you supposed to quest with pnb? some kinda poison dagger wierdness? didnt they make it spread to nearby targets or smth?

my favorite pvp guy was 1.09 poison necro. so epic. also had a duped 08 valor so he was very very op

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
my friend did a poison necro last season and he used poison explosion/poison nova but it didnt seem super great. was considering just doing bone spear/teeth or w/e

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gone Fashing posted:

my friend did a poison necro last season and he used poison explosion/poison nova but it didnt seem super great. was considering just doing bone spear/teeth or w/e

oh yea spear and teeth are good now. crazy world we live in

e: what if bone spirit exploded into 360 teeth. that would be badass

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

oh i meant for d2r not pd2, idk which one you were talking about

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm gonna play D2R when it comes out and I'm either gonna make an Assassin or a Paladin. Those were the two characters I had the most success with when I first played D2 back in high school. Great memories of doing LAN parties in a friend's basement and playing a hammerdin

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
think I might try curse necro. got a group of 3 other dudes I play with so seems like it would be a good support build.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Gone Fashing posted:

think I might try curse necro. got a group of 3 other dudes I play with so seems like it would be a good support build.

CE as your damage skill?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
dark pact is apparently how it's done

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gone Fashing posted:

dark pact is apparently how it's done

My man I do not think that skill is in retail diablo 2

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

oh i meant for d2r not pd2, idk which one you were talking about

D2R but I was really confused (not uncommon)

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Khorne posted:

seal glitch chaos runs.

I've had a go at this on vanilla (plugy) single player and just keep dying. I've tried various hybrid sorc builds at level 87, fo/nova fo/fireball and pure blizzard. Is there something special that makes it work on slash diablo? I can't be thaaat bad can I?

My gear is rubbish to be fair. Sprit sword/monarch, tarn helm, umed viper, maras and some random rings. Any tricks/advice?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

jiggerypokery posted:

I've had a go at this on vanilla (plugy) single player and just keep dying. I've tried various hybrid sorc builds at level 87, fo/nova fo/fireball and pure blizzard. Is there something special that makes it work on slash diablo? I can't be thaaat bad can I?

My gear is rubbish to be fair. Sprit sword/monarch, tarn helm, umed viper, maras and some random rings. Any tricks/advice?

Run ancient tunnels in act 2 instead.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Smythe posted:

My man I do not think that skill is in retail diablo 2

oh lol im getting d2r and pd2 chat mixed up i guess

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Meridian posted:

Run ancient tunnels in act 2 instead.

sure, but that's easy and boring. I can run chaos just fine too, if I take it slow

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

jiggerypokery posted:

sure, but that's easy and boring. I can run chaos just fine too, if I take it slow

I mean if you are wanting max efficiency that would be the way to go. To spice it up you just gotta have a route maybe that includes more stuff. Countess > Andariel > Ancient Tunnels > Meph > Pindle > Shenk is generally what I do on a blizzard sorc. Pretty sure none of those areas have cold immunes.

If you spec lightning you have some other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

aren't countess and shenk cold immune? Regardless I'm not really into doing the same stuff over and over, I just never heard of this seal glitch before and I want to work it out