Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Rekieta is so loving vile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m unfamiliar with him, but I’ve seen someone in that Twitter thread refer to him as “the blackface lawyer”, which uhhhhh :yikes:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

I’m unfamiliar with him, but I’ve seen someone in that Twitter thread refer to him as “the blackface lawyer”, which uhhhhh :yikes:

yeah he's done that. he's also big into anti-women culture war bullshit, his whole thing was less about defending Vic and more about hurting the victims

he needs to be shot into the sun

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nick is a strip mall lawyer who comes from money and has found the grift more profitable than law. There was a thing floating around for a while that it wasn’t even clear if he’d gone to trial as part of his profession.

(“I’ve argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer.”)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Maaaan I saw like, one youtube video related to... just Persona I think and Youtube filled my entire recommendations list with Yellowflash poo poo. My god that dude is a piece of work, but it absolutely does not surprise me that Nick/Screech is onboard with him

Edit: Oh it was on "censorship" in Tokyo Mirage Sessions when it got the Switch release, that's right

Also, also, I think Nick is a "lawyer" in the sense that he got his bar license in a state that doesn't require the bar exam, and has never actually done litigation on behalf of any client, so he just lawyers into the youtube void

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

And Ty Beard is the guy who manages his trust fund and was a probate lawyer exclusively up until this case, yes.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Wasn't it just that he did a type of law that doesn't see trials, or was that the other guy? It's been so long I forget the details, which is probably for the best. The sooner Vic and company slip out of mind the better.

Edit yeah that was Beard, wasn't it

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Given that Ty did probate matters, he would 100% be in filing hell and I highly, highly doubt he ever had a probate case that was contested enough to go to any kind of trial setting. At the very least, Ty has never actually done a defamation suit ever, which he only brought actual attorneys versed in defamation law maybe at the appeals phase or at the tail end of the lower court stuff, can't remember.

The more that I think about this, the more I am remembering that nah, Nick hasn't done poo poo besides get excessively hammered on stream

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Patware posted:

i dug on that thread a little and that guy in particular claims not to really care about vic and instead is loudly asserting every single dub organization is just a ball of abusive pedophiles ruining anime

so the barrel does go down further

He seems to think dubs are a form of whitewashing for some reason.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

Also, also, I think Nick is a "lawyer" in the sense that he got his bar license in a state that doesn't require the bar exam, and has never actually done litigation on behalf of any client, so he just lawyers into the youtube void

Oh word? Which state is this, I would love to have a novelty lawyer credential just for kicks.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Midjack posted:

Oh word? Which state is this, I would love to have a novelty lawyer credential just for kicks.

Minnesota iirc.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Minnesota does require a bar exam.

But Nick has almost no experience in law. He had a total of 9 cases over 3 years. I think they were all driving related offences too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Doing well on a test doesn't mean you're smart.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Doing well on a test doesn't mean you're smart.

I was never implying that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mallratcal posted:

I was never implying that.

I was just saying, passing the bar exam in a state means you are good at passing that state's bqr exam. Has nothing to do with how good you are at being a lawyer.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What originally had my interest about the case was reading that neither Beard nor Rekieta had any experience in legal entertainment mattersd. For example, do you know how often NDA's come up when it concerns to voice actors getting the boot off a project? That's like 1% of entertainment law. Like the only other thing I've seen that's as loving ruthless as Entertainment Law is, like, Tree Law.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wark Say posted:

What originally had my interest about the case was reading that neither Beard nor Rekieta had any experience in legal entertainment mattersd. For example, do you know how often NDA's come up when it concerns to voice actors getting the boot off a project? That's like 1% of entertainment law. Like the only other thing I've seen that's as loving ruthless as Entertainment Law is, like, Tree Law.

Uhmm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcderLXiwa8

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I was just saying, passing the bar exam in a state means you are good at passing that state's bqr exam. Has nothing to do with how good you are at being a lawyer.

Ah, ok. I just don't want anyone to think I'm defending Nick in anyway.

Wark Say posted:

Ty didn't even practice defamation until Vic came long. Ty had it in his bio that he "specialized in defamation". The real lawyers on twitter then told him that Vic would have a real malpractice claim against Ty, because of that Specialization claim, once the lawsuit goes south for them. So Ty edited that part out. lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mallratcal posted:

Ah, ok. I just don't want anyone to think I'm defending Nick in anyway.

Ty didn't even practice defamation until Vic came long. Ty had it in his bio that he "specialized in defamation". The real lawyers on twitter then told him that Vic would have a real malpractice claim against Ty, because of that Specialization claim, once the lawsuit goes south for them. So Ty edited that part out. lol
lmfao, jesus. The fallout between Mignogna and his lawyers after this whole thing wraps up is probably gonna be loving hilarious. It still sucks that Mignogna basically got away with sexually harassing/assaulting people/grooming underage girls for so long, though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wark Say posted:

lmfao, jesus. The fallout between Mignogna and his lawyers after this whole thing wraps up is probably gonna be loving hilarious. It still sucks that Mignogna basically got away with sexually harassing/assaulting people/grooming underage girls for so long, though.

I think you'll find that, actually, not voicing Broly anymore is an outrageous punishment that may even violate the 8th Amendment.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
When are appeals done over this btw?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Gyges posted:

I think you'll find that, actually, not voicing Broly anymore is an outrageous punishment that may even violate the 8th Amendment.

Speaking of, this could be a coincidence but uk Netflix added a bunch of Dragon ball movies including Broly to the service, thanks to this thread I knew he voiced him. The preview bit listed an english voice cast so I was going to check if it was Vic or a recast one before watching, but the only audio options for that one where Japanese language only. Meanwhile all the other movies had a dubbed option but had no characters voiced by vic.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Xelkelvos posted:

When are appeals done over this btw?

Whenever the TX appellate court issues a decision. That can take months to years.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah, if dickhead sues his pretend P.O. box "lawyers" this case can go on for several years.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

That reminds me, did Funimation release or plan to release a cut of the Broly movie that replaced Vic? I vaguely remember that but have no idea if it actually happened.

Relatedly the Broly movies are the only ones I don't own. I know I shouldn't let it get to me but Vics presence on a dub retroactively taints it for me. Have been unable to revisit Full Metal Alchemist and Ouran High School Host Club (2 of my favourite shows) since I learned what a creep he is :(

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Don't expect Vic to ever turn on Ty and Nick, because Vic is extremely lazy and has never had to exert himself in life, just casually gliding through it like a perfectly smooth diva, and using his positions to creep on every girl he meets. Vic has no loving idea what's going on, all he does is tour the con circuit and (not) do voice acting work. Nick did all the work in building the case and handing it all gift-wrapped to Vic, don't you worry your little head about it, all you have to do is sign the paperwork and turn the key. And of course, Nick isn't particularly good at law, the only person he could trust to actually take the case was his old friend Ty.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wark Say posted:

It's interesting to note that in theory the reason he went after Funimation was because they stopped casting him in things (and not Nick or somebody saying "they have money, go after them") the company that actually announced he was no longer voicing a major role first was Rooster Teeth and the prevailing theory on that is while RT still kind of fronts like they're this garage operation they're actually owned by Warner Brothers and even Ty was not stupid enough to mess with WB's attack dog entertainment lawyers.

Phobophilia posted:

Don't expect Vic to ever turn on Ty and Nick, because Vic is extremely lazy and has never had to exert himself in life, just casually gliding through it like a perfectly smooth diva, and using his positions to creep on every girl he meets. Vic has no loving idea what's going on, all he does is tour the con circuit and (not) do voice acting work. Nick did all the work in building the case and handing it all gift-wrapped to Vic, don't you worry your little head about it, all you have to do is sign the paperwork and turn the key. And of course, Nick isn't particularly good at law, the only person he could trust to actually take the case was his old friend Ty.

Don't forget the blank check, which sadly probably does not mean much to Vic because his mom is wealthy. She also ran his Little Fuhrers FMA fan club of whatever it was called. Mommy Mignogna takes care of everything.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Was Funimation not owned by Sony yet when Vic filed the suit?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Dawgstar posted:

It's interesting to note that in theory the reason he went after Funimation was because they stopped casting him in things (and not Nick or somebody saying "they have money, go after them") the company that actually announced he was no longer voicing a major role first was Rooster Teeth and the prevailing theory on that is while RT still kind of fronts like they're this garage operation they're actually owned by Warner Brothers and even Ty was not stupid enough to mess with WB's attack dog entertainment lawyers.

If he thought Funimation would be any easier I’m pretty sure Funimation was fully owned by Sony at that point so you have the Sony attack dog entertainment lawyers.

Anybody that had a brain cell would have told Vic to just shut the hell up, but he met Nick and Ty and now we have a hilariously dumb saga.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

Was Funimation not owned by Sony yet when Vic filed the suit?

The opposite, a big part of why the HR investigations finally were happening against Vic was because Sony staff joined the team, after purchasing a 95% stake of Funimation back in 2017.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Black Stones posted:

If he thought Funimation would be any easier I’m pretty sure Funimation was fully owned by Sony at that point so you have the Sony attack dog entertainment lawyers.

Anybody that had a brain cell would have told Vic to just shut the hell up, but he met Nick and Ty and now we have a hilariously dumb saga.

I brought it up because I'd seen one of the lawyers who was covering the case float the idea ages ago, but admittedly it's very possible Nick and Ty didn't realize Funimation = Sony because they are not super bright men.

Didn't the Funimation side of things get squashed a lot faster than the Marci/Rial side?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dawgstar posted:

I brought it up because I'd seen one of the lawyers who was covering the case float the idea ages ago, but admittedly it's very possible Nick and Ty didn't realize Funimation = Sony because they are not super bright men.

They probably figured "oh it's a big multinational corporation, they'll make a settlement to make this lawsuit go away and not bother fighting it."

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Julias posted:

They probably figured "oh it's a big multinational corporation, they'll make a settlement to make this lawsuit go away and not bother fighting it."

I wouldn’t doubt that. Sometimes that is the case especially when it seems like you have a good chance of being seen in the wrong but when you have a slam dunk case and can make the plaintiff pay for it you’re going to fight that.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Julias posted:

Nick even said as much on stream, that Sony wouldn't want the bad PR and just settle as quickly as they could.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I mean, deep down it probably had a lot more to do with having a judge say the two women were wrong than getting any kind of settlement from Sony or Funi.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/marzgurl/status/1381330282557566977?s=21

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vic Mignogna and the Prosperity Gospel. You got chocolate in my peanut butter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/1383782576909742085?s=19

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I wish he’d waited 2 more days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why is it that every time I read about this case, whether something new comes to the surface or we get a "In case you need a reminder" sorta post, it gets dumber and dumber?