Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
What’s the best defense against runaway tech in the surveillance state? Personal EMP devices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You shouldn't have posted this for lots of reasons.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

You shouldn't have posted this for lots of reasons.

I thought it was funny at least, as worthless as that is.

I don't know of how much of the case details have been released, but it being the feds and all, the idea of the plot might have not even been this guys idea. The fed can somehow get away with both giving people the idea to blow something up, encourage them to do so, and even pretend to sell them the supplies. This isn't somehow entrapment because of some legal mumbo jumbo with federal poo poo.

Jeff Bezos could build 10x more data centers and not even fall to number 2 on the list of most richest people in the world.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Given that there’s roughly dozens of dcs in us-east-1 over millions of square feet across several cities, unless jeff has left a poorly guarded thermal exhaust port with a clear path to the router core i would bet that it’s probably a low probability of success.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The idea that you'd kill 70% of the internet by damaging 1 amazon datacenter is pretty goofy anyways.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I just want 70% of the internet to die

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Well yeah

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Voluntary Internet Extinction Movement

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Thanks Ants posted:

They do work for companies that don't see the value in having an IT team that is integrated with the rest of the organisation, which means their clients shop on price, which means they all look to put in low bids and then try and make it up on extra services. The whole business model is based on commoditizing an offering that should really be bespoke for each client, based on using whatever services have good margin and can integrate with the RMM platform the MSP has chosen, rather than picking the right solution for the client each time. The need to compete on price means getting as much 'value' as possible out of employees, so a combination of overwork and underpay.

The business model doesn't allow room for providing good service and working conditions, because anybody that tries will get undercut, and all the clients are price sensitive.

In addition to this, a lot of MSPs seem to be owned/managed by someone who started as a one-man operation in the early 2000s and then brought on extra people as the workload grew. They've not kept their tech skills up-to-date in the fifteen years since they moved into management, but still insist on having final approval on everything.

Do you work for us? Sure sounds like it. Our president started the company in 2001 by himself, got a few good engineers to work for him who have since been there for the duration. President has absolutely not kept up on anything tech related in at least 10 years. We bring on clients as small as 10 users with Macs to companies with several hundred users in a mixed Mac/Windows environments. We offer a set of solutions that work for 80% of the people that sign on to our primary support contract and the remaining 20% are extremely hard to handle and generate a good chunk of our support tickets, which end up confusing the poo poo out of our tier 1 helpdesk.

For the past two years the helpdesk has been absolutely slammed with bullshit they don't understand and do NOT care to ever understand, they're just there to make a paycheck, so every ticket they get assigned is two hours of "research" followed by an escalation. The people who do understand the bullshit are extremely overworked due to juggling projects they were hired for and said escalations.

Our sales VP is extremely good at getting business but the rest of our team absolutely fails at delivering his promises due to the above, and we don't hire the people necessary for doing that work because our pay isn't high enough to attract those skilled enough to do so. We're too busy filling the pockets of the president and VPs who actually see the dividends from our work.

In conclusion; gently caress capitalism.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

jaegerx posted:

I just want 70% of the internet to die

:emptyquote:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just think if Thanos had aimed for 70%, his plan might have worked.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
70% would mean I'd likely have to return to the office. Pass.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Show of hands: How many of you would be moderately to severely hosed if us-east-1 disappeared?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The thing is I don’t have anything going on there, but I know a ton of vendor and partner poo poo that I work with does so... probably not pretty. Cause I bet most of them really aren’t as resilient as they claim

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MrKatharsis posted:

Show of hands: How many of you would be moderately to severely hosed if us-east-1 disappeared?

The internet would break.

It’s also spread over 90 sq miles, so baring several nukes it ain’t going anywhere

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

freeasinbeer posted:

It’s also spread over 90 sq miles

Now I want to know! I never pictured it as one giant building, but I also didn't picture it as the nuclear silos in the Midwest.

Anywhere I can get a good look at the design of it?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

https://wikileaks.org/amazon-atlas/map/

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ah, that was cool to read over. Looks like this info is all from 2015, so I would expect it to have changed substantially since then, but still interesting to see the architecture at that point.

That's a crazy leak.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you want to hobble the internet there are a few key addresses. For example Coresite One Wilshire in downtown Los Angeles being offline would basically break all trans-pacific internet traffic as well as a significant portion of the west coast. Same with equinix dc2 in Ashburn, VA but to a lesser extent.

The internet is distributed and it would keep "working" but it would be insanely congested to the point of unusability.

Look up a fiber map in Ashburn, VA and start digging. Go along the paths and take out as many meters as you can, you have to get past the service loops.

Expect to be executed by homeland security if you move furtively, you will definitely be brought up on terrorism charges should you survive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or start a construction company in those areas and hire high school kids to run all your digging equipment.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

He should’ve gone after the root name servers. Easier to get them than aws.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Oh wow, they have colo space at the Virginia CoreSite DC.

It’s been a while since I’ve been there to look at my previous employers puny single rack cage. It’s always crazy seeing the kind of physical footprint other customers had.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Oh wow, they have colo space at the Virginia CoreSite DC.

It’s been a while since I’ve been there to look at my previous employers puny single rack cage. It’s always crazy seeing the kind of physical footprint other customers had.

Yeah they have space in pretty much every big provider out there. The difference is that if it's not just a network hub it takes up a whole room and you will never be granted access. Maybe their oldest of spaces will be in shared space but it's unlikely.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

jaegerx posted:

He should’ve gone after the root name servers. Easier to get them than aws.

They're anycast.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

Or start a construction company in those areas and hire high school kids to run all your digging equipment.

Doesnt even have to be a construction company. Just a locate/marking company.

I was consistently amazed by how dumb and overworked the locate people were when I would have to interact with them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

xzzy posted:

I swear EVERY time there was road work being done outside my old office, they would invariably hit the fiber line and shut down our NA operation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wonder if there'd be any success in creating a completely fake ISP that announces areas they are building fibre into with no intention of actually doing it, just to try and encourage the incumbent provider to overbuild them.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Thanks Ants posted:

I wonder if there'd be any success in creating a completely fake ISP that announces areas they are building fibre into with no intention of actually doing it,

if you cut it off here that is essentially the playbook verizon ran on the federal government lmao

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks Ants posted:

I wonder if there'd be any success in creating a completely fake ISP that announces areas they are building fibre into with no intention of actually doing it, just to try and encourage the incumbent provider to overbuild them.

It's possible, but it's way more likely the incumbents will just tie you up in court for as long as possible and do nothing.

I forget where it was, but somewhere the local residents voted to build and fund a local municipal ISP and got tied up in court for years over it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

skipdogg posted:

It's possible, but it's way more likely the incumbents will just tie you up in court for as long as possible and do nothing.

I forget where it was, but somewhere the local residents voted to build and fund a local municipal ISP and got tied up in court for years over it.

That story has happened in a bunch of places

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MrKatharsis posted:

I would be mildly perturbed.
I guess I would have to like, go outside or something. Instead of watching Twitch streams.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Municipal broadband is different from a startup company. In the latter case they won't sue you, they'll just drag their asses giving access to infrastructure such as poles until you go bankrupt.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I mean if you’re gonna try to trick them, just create some anonymous press for the project but not actually associate them with a real company? If there’s no intention of building anything why tie yourself legally to an LLC or something and give them an avenue for legal retribution?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Management hasn't done anything to address the rumors of potentially going forward with 100% remote, or calling people back to the office. So people are starting to hedge their bets and leave for new opportunities that are guaranteed remote.

Just found out we're losing a very talented analyst to this. They are the linchpin in an enterprise-level project that kicks off tomorrow, which already has all the markings of being a poo poo show.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm sure management will feel the heat from their indecision 🙃

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm sure management will feel the heat from their indecision 🙃

You’re a bit late for April Fools my friend.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

They finally sent out a departure email and the place is beginning to sweat about me leaving, which is hilarious to me because I spent 6 years begging any of these people to advocate for increased resources/staffing/etc. and none of them did it.

The funny thing is they will be fine, I've spent 2 weeks prepping my senior tech, I'm in office all week preparing the transition... they'll be fine! Even I don't have that kind of ego.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
It's just a little underfunded, it's still good, it's still good!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

After being strongly focused on on-prem, work is finally waking up to the potential of the cloud. I've always been a big advocate of automation. Is it reasonable to try to learn Terraform in parallel with learning cloud basics? Anyone got a book to recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yes, and

https://www.udemy.com/course/learn-devops-infrastructure-automation-with-terraform/