Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Elviscat posted:

Wear gloves when handling sharp things, and don't try to catch them if you drop them.

:nms: for blood.

My enormous meat paws narrowly save themselves from tendon or bone damage yet again.
Did the same thing while removing some T1-11 siding off my house. Panel slipped out of my hands, I decided to try to catch it, and caught a nail sticking out of it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm only half way through this video, but it's a combination of "interesting!" and "yikes!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzJCltjCFnE

Edit: the dovetail machine. :cry:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 11, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Buddy, check this poo poo out:

I hope it makes you feel even more stupidbetter.

I didn't even know pot strainers were a thing until someone causally mentioned them a few years ago.

You're not stupid for not knowing something doesn't exist - but you would be stupid if you knew and yet still continued to pour boiling water over yourself.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I didn't even know pot strainers were a thing until someone causally mentioned them a few years ago.

You're not stupid for not knowing something doesn't exist - but you would be stupid if you knew and yet still continued to pour boiling water over yourself.

Once in a Christmas gift exchange I got a pasta pot with a lock-on strainer lid so you just grab it by the handles and dump.

Also it's labeled as impact-bonded, which is the funniest way of saying "hammered together."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Seeing that train truck axle replacement video made me hope a powerlifter was going to come in and floor press the axles.

PainterofCrap posted:

I really miss when the Paris Metro ran on rubber tires.

Montreal's metro still does too, IIRC. That's not a subway, that's a bus in a cave.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

The San Francisco BART trains have untapered cylindrical wheels because somebody in the 70s thought it would be cheaper to do it that way. I have to assume it was some young engineer in the classic San Francisco startup style who looked at the conical wheels on every train on the planet and said "well that's stupid! Straight wheels make much more sense!"

And now we have EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

BART is also broad gauge, which makes everything more expensive.

They say it’s because of the high winds on the peninsula, but I have my doubts about the necessity.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You might want to get a pot strainer made from something less thermally conductive though, your fingers will thank you.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I'm only half way through this video, but it's a combination of "interesting!" and "yikes!".

If you find the episode wherein he doesn't have an obvious bandage or open wound, congrats, gold star!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzJCltjCFnE

Edit: the dovetail machine. :cry:

That was a fun watch, thanks for the link

I like the saws that come up from underneath the piece centimetres away from your fingers

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Elviscat posted:

Wear gloves when handling sharp things, and don't try to catch them if you drop them.

My enormous meat paws narrowly save themselves from tendon or bone damage yet again.

I did a vaguely similar thing once. We were disposing of some porcelain items at the dump, including an old toilet. I missed the throw on the toilet into the dumpster and just cracked the base in half on the edge, at which point the journeyman at the wheel is yelling at me to get going.

So I grab a hold of the base of the shattered porcelain toilet, don't feel anything sharp, so surely it's safe to lift it up, putting ~20 kilos of weight on there. Up to shoulder height, into the dumpster, into the van, put my hand on the warm dashboard as we drive off. Ten minutes later, my hand won't come off the dashboard, because it turns out I've gashed the entire thing open from side to side and it's bleeding like crazy, and now there's a giant palm-sized scab sticking me to the dash.

Amazingly enough, because the cut was a nice, clean smooth porcelain cut, I didn't get a scar despite the depth and bloodiness of it, nor any lasting damage. It just hurt like a bitch for a few weeks as it was healing and I had to be careful not to leave big bloody palmprints on everything.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

watch out for sharp porcelain, dad cut his leg on a discarded toilet in a garden and fainted from bleeding before the ambulance arrived.
actual razors don't cut this deep.

he's alive and well nowadays

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Elviscat posted:

As an Amazon worker this is something every single drone has beaten into their head from day one:
Don't catch falling poo poo. Let it drop. Amazon has all the money to replace that crap. Don't catch falling poo poo. In the time your reflexes jump for the item you don't have time for your brain to process if the item is a knife or a 12 pack of drinks. Let it drop.

I still see people moving for the grab (and do it myself) because reflexes are hard to fight. I've seen more than one kitchen knife falling that's also somehow managed to work free of it's cheap-rear end packaging.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg73GKm7GgI

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Alkydere posted:

As an Amazon worker this is something every single drone has beaten into their head from day one:
Don't catch falling poo poo. Let it drop. Amazon has all the money to replace that crap. Don't catch falling poo poo. In the time your reflexes jump for the item you don't have time for your brain to process if the item is a knife or a 12 pack of drinks. Let it drop.

I still see people moving for the grab (and do it myself) because reflexes are hard to fight. I've seen more than one kitchen knife falling that's also somehow managed to work free of it's cheap-rear end packaging.

I don't miss working pick and seeing brake drums or rotors on the top shelf. Don't miss that job a bit.

I did like punching the windows out of the cardboard bins, though. Ahhh, memories.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/NHVsr8n.mp4

Rider avoided "serious injuries".

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Kith posted:

GODDAMN OUCH

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
When I was 12 or 13, I had something not unlike that happen, it was like different but the same.

I was riding my bike through some trails, and there were little streams and creeks running through them. Most of the bridges were level with the trail so you could ride up on them no problem. But one had two steps to get up on it.
I was pedaling as hard as I could, and came upon this bridge. I slammed on the brakes and my front tire hit it, I somehow managed to not go right over the handle bars, though in hindsight that might have been preferable. Instead, I went up, almost over. Then I came down. Nuts first on to the goose neck for the handle bars.
It hurt so much I couldn't even scream, or cry or yell. I just curled up in to a ball and moaned.
I probably should have gotten into the stream and let the cold water numb it or something, but I wasn't really much on thinking at that point.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Guy I knew from when I was a kid died on an ATV from someone going over and ramp one direction when he was about to go over it in the other direction and the other guy took his head off. Friend didn't have a flag on his ATV so ultimately it was his fault I guess? Was years ago but I'll still never get on one.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
ATV's seem pretty risky. It's like everyone who does it regularly for fun ends up with some traumatic injury at some point.

edit: if you are dutifully hauling sap, carcasses or shitloads of tools out into/from the middle of nowhere, that's another story

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 11, 2021

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Ooooph.... I can almost feel that in my guts.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

By popular demand posted:

Ooooph.... I can almost feel that in my guts.

I imagine the rider can almost feel it in his legs

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Six years ago a 16 yo girl died in Helsinki when she and friends were using the slope below a ski jump tower without permission. It was summer time and the slope was covered with plastic low-friction material used for summer training kinda like astroturf, so you could just sit on it and ride down.

Unbeknownst to them the city had placed a steel cable across the slope because some people had been damaging the slope by driving cars and mopeds into it. It was also dark and lights at the ski jump place were off, so there was no way to see the cable. The girl was hit in her neck and died at the scene. Two other girls were injured at the same time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wasn't that something the germans did across hedgerows? Seems like setting a booby trap would be illegal.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Kith posted:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cojawfee posted:

Wasn't that something the germans did across hedgerows? Seems like setting a booby trap would be illegal.

Well yes, or at least cable cutter was a common addition to many jeeps. Not that it was just the Jerries doing it, though. Enough barbed wire or other steel wire laid between trees would stop even a light tank.

In the ski jump accident there was a warning sign telling of the cable, but as said it was dark so they didn't see it. The peeps responsible for it got fines for accidental death and injuries.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Lmfao

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/FeelGoodPage11/status/1380346039912177666?s=19

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

This isn't the first time OSHA the bear makes an appearance ITT but they're the finest reminder that safety regulations have teeth, and sharp claws, and a crushing grip, and also quite swift.
DON'T PUT YOUR WORKERS IN NEEDLESS RISK OR WE WILL RIP YOUR GUTS OUT AND CRUSH YOUR ENTIRE HEAD BETWEEN OUR MIGHTY JAWS!

Don't test us motherfucker that thin office door is no match to our strength and hiding behind that lawyer will buy you only a second more of time!:crobear:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 11, 2021

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bears are the opposite of toddlers.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nantekotta?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

By popular demand posted:

This isn't the first time OSHA the bear makes an appearance ITT but they're the finest reminder that safety regulations have teeth, and sharp claws, and a crushing grip, and also quite swift.
DON'T PUT YOUR WORKERS IN NEEDLESS RISK OR WE WILL RIP YOUR GUTS OUT AND CRUSH YOUR ENTIRE HEAD BETWEEN OUR MIGHTY JAWS!

Don't test us motherfucker that thin office door is no match to our strength and hiding behind that lawyer will buy you only a second more of time!:crobear:

What I'm getting from this post is that we should start the OSHA equivalent of a K9 unit, but with bears, and let me tell you I have never been so in favor of something in my life.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Log082 posted:

What I'm getting from this post is that we should start the OSHA equivalent of a K9 unit, but with bears, and let me tell you I have never been so in favor of something in my life.

Someone pitch this to Phillip Pullman, please. I can see it now: she's a runaway child prophet. He's a bear prince in exile. Together, they fight UNSAFE WORKING CONDITIONS.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

PurpleXVI posted:

I did a vaguely similar thing once. We were disposing of some porcelain items at the dump, including an old toilet. I missed the throw on the toilet into the dumpster and just cracked the base in half on the edge, at which point the journeyman at the wheel is yelling at me to get going...

This reminded me of another way that ceramic toilets are (potentially) hazardous
https://twitter.com/DrPhiltill/status/979583605637877760
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/979583605637877760.html

And trying to find that led me to this person who truly lives safety-first https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16725631

quote:

No, I just really like my hearing. I resolved to always wear earplugs out of the house one day after a particularly nasty bus with squealing brakes made my ears ring. I ride my bike a lot so that just made sense. At home, I was putting in ear plugs when putting away dishes, because I want to just get that poo poo done, pulling handfuls out of the dishwasher and stacking them hard and fast, like you do if you're not a priss. Except the sound was making me act pretty drat prissy. I cook a lot and I'm impatient, so that just made sense too. Some other things like that caused me to just keep plugs on hand all the time.

But I realized I couldn't possibly predict all of the potentially damaging acoustic events in life. It also occurred to me that maybe the full 30+ dB earplug is overkill for most of these things, and I could use something like half of that full-time, and still be perfectly functional. I consider these "mild" earplugs similar to clothes, which I also wear most of the time even though they're not, strictly speaking, necessary.

EDIT: I also wear glasses at all times when I'm out of the house. Not for vision -- I have excellent vision -- but plano lenses for protection. I started doing this after one day in college when a loving tree branch nearly went in my eye as I walked down the street. I just didn't see it. I think I was looking sort of downward, and then looked up just in time to catch a spear in my eye. The only thing that saved my cornea was the fact that I was wearing sunglasses. I've had several other instances of random poo poo flying or poking at my face, but that was the closest I've come to a serious eye injury.

Just normal fairly slender wire-framed glasses, with clear polycarbonate lenses that filter almost as much UV as sunglasses. Nothing fancy. Haven't had my eye poked out since, happy to say.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

After almost being hit by an unruly toddler I've decided to fully encase myself in a Zorb.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

uvar posted:

And trying to find that led me to this person who truly lives safety-first https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16725631

Jesus Christ, they are going to end up wrapping themselves in bubblewrap and living in a bunker to avoid meteors.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Karia posted:

Someone pitch this to Phillip Pullman, please. I can see it now: she's a runaway child prophet. He's a bear prince in exile. Together, they fight UNSAFE WORKING CONDITIONS.

Can't hibernate over these violations, I'm gonna bruin this worksite, the fines are gonna be grizzly

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

uvar posted:

I don't blame this person, I found that I was using my IEMs less to listen to music and more as earplugs every time I was walking along a busy road just from the noise of buses and cars.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If he wore sunglasses and ear buds because sunlight and noise irritated him, he would be normal.

He’s only a weirdo because he worries about permanent damage and posts about it on the Internet.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I mean, I worry about permanent hearing damage and post about it on the internet

when I'm working on an RC drill rig that operates at 105-110dB for 8 hours straight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a ton of dangerous dB flying around modern cities, I'm not about to make fun of anyone living their best ear life. There's civics occasionally discussed about if and what we should do to encourage better sound safety in cities.