Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

they're both fascists and i didn't/don't want good endings for either of them, nuance is fine, story is fine, but they can suffer and keep on sufferin/be super dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SirSamVimes posted:

Lmao at the implication that people didn't immediately start thirsting for Gaius once he was shown helmetless.
Yeah, if it wasn't Gaius, I'd be like "Finally! A hot guy who isn't at least kind of a twink. And they did it with no facial hair, either." But until 4.3 he was basically Cybergoth Grahf

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm honestly pretty uncomfortable with the dehumanizing tone this thread has taken with regards to the Werlyt kids, treating them like objects to be smashed in front Gaius to make him feel bad and not people in their own right.

People who might not deserve the fate of being tortured and murdered just so you get the satisfaction of making a fascist feel bad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gearhead posted:

Gaius was explicitly NOT a genocidal fascist. His entire GIMMICK was 'We can't save dead people from themselves.' He KILLED genocidal fascists.

Heirsbane was so named because he killed the poo poo out of anyone he thought was too much of a maniac to sit on the throne.

Now Varis, Varis was a genocidal fascist. And he died like a dog.

Gaius -- fascist
Varis -- genocidal fascist
Zenos - genocidal

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bruceski posted:

Gaius -- fascist
Varis -- genocidal fascist
Zenos - genocidal

Emet — bored and upset

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

jokes posted:

Emet — bored and upset

genocidal, invented fascism as a government that's specifically designed to fail and cause as much chaos as possible.

edit: I fuckin love that in FFXIV, fascism was explicitly created as a means to cause nations to fall apart.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 11, 2021

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm honestly fine with Gaius not dying because he's already being punished fittingly enough: seeing his ideals of "the strong rule over the weak" being the direct reason the kids he apparently cares about keep killing themselves and the Empire he so gloriously idealized burning to the ground because of the maximum of that ideal (Zenos).

The only thing missing to top it off is telling him the Emperor he so loyally served and did all those atrocities for was not only an Ascian, but the head honcho who gave literally no shits about any of them. Because I think he knows Garlemand was founded but Ascians but not that Solus was one, right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm honestly fine with Gaius not dying because he's already being punished fittingly enough: seeing his ideals of "the strong rule over the weak" being the direct reason the kids he apparently cares about keep killing themselves and the Empire he so gloriously idealized burning to the ground because of the maximum of that ideal (Zenos).

The only thing missing to top it off is telling him the Emperor he so loyally served and did all those atrocities for was not only an Ascian, but the head honcho who gave literally no shits about any of them. Because I think he knows Garlemand was founded but Ascians but not that Solus was one, right?
I think he was mostly serving Varis wasn't he? I'm not sure when Solus totally 4 realzies died (we mean it). Wasn't that why we weren't having to deal with multiple Garlean legions in ARR?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nessus posted:

I think he was mostly serving Varis wasn't he? I'm not sure when Solus totally 4 realzies died (we mean it). Wasn't that why we weren't having to deal with multiple Garlean legions in ARR?

Solus died post-ARR

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

thetoughestbean posted:

Solus died post-ARR

Every time I think of the "lmao you think that a civil war that perfect happened by accident? I timed my death exactly" scene, I chuckle.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, Regulus is the legatus who was serving under Varis. Gaius served under Solus' reign as a tribuni of the XIth legion before his promotion, and his gunblade was nicknamed Herisbane for killing pretenders to the throne. Don't forget Gaius is actually on his 50s or around that, Grandpa really aged well.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

black (wolf) don't crack

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Blows my mind that people are so opposed to depth or nuanced characterization that they just plug their ears and yell fascist anytime Gaius comes up.

He's a complex, nuanced, genocidal fascist who needs to die imo.

Also his "I am the ubermensch! No more will my parents drag me to Sunday School!" speech in Praetorium still reminds me of grading freshmen papers and thus annoys me deeply.

It's the same way I feel about Yotsuyu back in Stormblood. Yes, this is all very sad and tragic. But because of what you've done, I'm still going to bash your skull in with my staff without hesitation or regret the moment the game lets me.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 11, 2021

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Xarbala posted:

I'm honestly pretty uncomfortable with the dehumanizing tone this thread has taken with regards to the Werlyt kids, treating them like objects to be smashed in front Gaius to make him feel bad and not people in their own right.

People who might not deserve the fate of being tortured and murdered just so you get the satisfaction of making a fascist feel bad.

It's been genuinely weird for me, playing an Au Ra girl named Allie with the same horns/face as the Allie amongst the WEAPON pilots. Must've been real awkward for him back when we fought. Gonna feel real awkward during the diamond fight for me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Blows my mind that people are so opposed to depth or nuanced characterization that they just plug their ears and yell fascist anytime Gaius comes up.

This is true and he is an interesting character but I still hope the story grinds him down into a tiny nub and gives him no catharsis or relief. Yeah yeah I'm sure he's sad about the adopted kids gooping themselves but no one in the plot has stopped to point out how hosed up it is he basically collected orphans who's parents he had murdered through his own military campaigns. I'm sure he's got feelings for them but like everything else this guy has ever believed in the entire thing is rotten to its absolute core and he just cannot make that final step to realizing it, much as he clings to the notion that the ideals of garlemald having anything worth holding on to. It's what makes him a compelling and tragic figure and its also why they shouldn't give him an inch.

The closest thing to a happy ending is the last kids get out alive and tell Gaius to gently caress off and they go somewhere far away from him. But this is a gundam so the big brother is going to die taking out the Legate in a suicide attack, possible fusing them both inside that core tester machine

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 11, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SirSamVimes posted:

genocidal, invented fascism as a government that's specifically designed to fail and cause as much chaos as possible.

edit: I fuckin love that in FFXIV, fascism was explicitly created as a means to cause nations to fall apart.

Technically the Ascians are omnicidal, since they wanna kill literally everybody.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Waffleman_ posted:

Technically the Ascians are omnicidal, since they wanna kill literally everybody.

Personally, I stick to 'genocidal' because 'omnicidal' just makes them cartoon characters. And if they wanted anything in Shadowbringers (which was the point where we learned exactly the extent of their plans), it was to make the Ascians less like cartoon characters.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is true and he is an interesting character but I still hope the story grinds him down into a tiny nub and gives him no catharsis or relief. Yeah yeah I'm sure he's sad about the adopted kids gooping themselves but no one in the plot has stopped to point out how hosed up it is he basically collected orphans who's parents he had murdered through his own military campaigns. I'm sure he's got feelings for them but like everything else this guy has ever believed in the entire thing is rotten to its absolute core and he just cannot make that final step to realizing it, much as he clings to the notion that the ideals of garlemald having anything worth holding on to. It's what makes him a compelling and tragic figure and its also why they shouldn't give him an inch.

The closest thing to a happy ending is the last kids get out alive and tell Gaius to gently caress off and they go somewhere far away from him. But this is a gundam so the big brother is going to die taking out the Legate in a suicide attack, possible fusing them both inside that core tester machine

Oh I'm not really opposed to him getting owned or anything. The way people gleefully say his kids deserve to be murdered because "no quarter for the family of fash" poo poo that comes up all the time just makes me really uncomfortable. I remember when last patch dropped multiple people were mad they couldn't bash Allie's skull in and how she "chose this life, she deserves no forgiveness" ...It's loving creepy!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh I'm not really opposed to him getting owned or anything. The way people gleefully say his kids deserve to be murdered because "no quarter for the family of fash" poo poo that comes up all the time just makes me really uncomfortable. I remember when last patch dropped multiple people were mad they couldn't bash Allie's skull in and how she "chose this life, she deserves no forgiveness" ...It's loving creepy!

Yeah it's extremely hosed up and says more about the poster and whatever unhealthy feelings they're projecting than the characters themselves.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
At the start when the kids were introduced I wouldn’t have cared if they were more casualties. They were just too dedicated to being cogs in the war machine.

Now that we know their motivations, I hope the rest survive. They’re futile as hell but they’re just trying to save people, and stop others from living under the thumb of tyranny like they have.

They’re a bunch of dumb kids trying to steal a tank and kill Hitler.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah, no doubt. It kind of seems to be a too common reaction seeing the popularity of revenge webnovels/fanfics and how in some sites people want the characters they dislike to suffer excesively.

And jfc that commnent about Allie. Like if there's anyone innocent in that plot it's her.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Xarbala posted:

Yeah it's extremely hosed up and says more about the poster and whatever unhealthy feelings they're projecting than the characters themselves.

Something I have noticed about people making predictions/wishes about this game is you can always tell more about them than they think by who they have die, even when it's a fairly natural prediction. Like, yeah, Gaius probably is gonna lose all his kids, but someone saying that should happen is showing some problem views pretty hard.

Something else I've noticed: nobody wants Thancred dead. Predictions about Scion deaths go across the board but usually gravitate around the 'annoying' ones (and again, it says more than they think when their 'random Scion killed for little reason' just happens to be, say, Y'shtola)... but nobody ever puts Thancred on the chopping block. Maybe it's because he's had nearly as many death fakeouts as we've had expansions to put them in, but nobody ever puts 'Thancred dies' in their predictions.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Cleretic posted:

Something else I've noticed: nobody wants Thancred dead. Predictions about Scion deaths go across the board but usually gravitate around the 'annoying' ones (and again, it says more than they think when their 'random Scion killed for little reason' just happens to be, say, Y'shtola)... but nobody ever puts Thancred on the chopping block. Maybe it's because he's had nearly as many death fakeouts as we've had expansions to put them in, but nobody ever puts 'Thancred dies' in their predictions.

I mean, I feel like I saw plenty of "Thancred isn't making it through this this time" predictions prior to 5.3, and with what we know going into Endwalker, I've also seen predictions that he's going to get caught in whatever happens to Garlemald and not make it to/out of 6.0.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cleretic posted:

(and again, it says more than they think when their 'random Scion killed for little reason' just happens to be, say, Y'shtola)

I haven't really seen predictions like that for a long time, between "Y'shtola represents FFXIV in other media usually, she's kinda the mascot ala Shantotto" and "Y'shtola has a near death experience every expansion so even if they actually killed her everyone would believe she'd come back" :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The next scion to die is [throws dart at board] the lady who is concerned that her sister is too horny

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/PlayerPhase/status/1380907473146679299?s=20

How likely is it that Zenos gets his new weapon in part 1 as a tease for the melee job before Fanfest?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Countblanc posted:

The next scion to die is [throws dart at board] the lady who is concerned that her sister is too horny

No.

I did hear someone's theory that live or die in Endwalker, a lot of the A Team scions might retire out the party, and let more of the B Teamers or take front roles in what comes next.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like that won't happen until 5.55 specifically for that reason

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

No.

I did hear someone's theory that live or die in Endwalker, a lot of the A Team scions might retire out the party, and let more of the B Teamers or take front roles in what comes next.

I just don't see that happening from a gameplay perspective, because they're not going to take out the Fan Favorite longtime "party members" who they just finished coding into Trusts not all that long ago.

Like, plot-wise, maybe they'll start getting back to their Academic routes and being all "Yeah, I researched a ton of stuff and wrote a few theses on this thing we're dealing with." , but they're still going to be down for fieldwork in dungeons.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Xarbala posted:

the thing about the Werlyt kids is that it was clear from the word go that they were introduced just to die right away in the same storyline, so for a lot of people their brain never switches them from "shapes on the screen" to "character i feel real human emotion for". it's like when someone is introduced by saying they will marry their fiancé when the war is over and your immediate reaction is to laugh, not because someone with a lover dying is funny, but because you become so keenly aware of their function in the narrative you can never think of them as a person within the context of the story anymore.

elaborate murder fantasies about them are pretty loving creepy though, no argument there

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the twins gonna get fuckin obliterated baby

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
We’re going to the moon, the Derplander marquee job is Paladin (coming from Dark Knight), and we know we’re having a Dragoon with mind control issues and Twins coming for the ride.

So we just need to figure out who our Summoner, Ninja, and White Mage are.
Or to fill out the whole cast, a Monk, a Bard, a Sage, a Cid (free space), and a Beard Elemental.
Maybe Zenos gets to be our actual long lost brother too.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zenos is totally going to be the missing half of the WoL's soul.

Also wrt Gaius I find him as detestable as anyone and was expecting him to stay a villain, but if you accept that Varis was full of poo poo when he compared Garlemald to Limsa Lominsa, and you accept that it's possible for peace to exist between the Lominsans, Sahagin, and Kobolds, even after what the Lominsans have done, then you accept there's a difference between someone like Gaius and someone like Varis.

As for why Emet is sympathetic and why Varis is spat upon despite the fact that their objectives are basically the same, it's because Emet is doing what he does out of devotion - he wants his friends, family, and people back. He thinks the mortal races are weak, sure, but he doesn't hate or even resent them - he just wants to see his loved ones again. The only time he actually gets hatefully angry is when Alphinaud points out the futility in what he does, and says that the mortals are every bit the equal of the Ancients. If he was truly a hateful person, he wouldn't have faced his final defeat with acceptance towards the WoL and the Scions, or planned contingencies for it. He wouldn't have even considered his defeat a possibility. It's very simple and easy to empathize with the idea that someone as phenomenally powerful as he is would go to any length to save those they cherish, even if his methods resulted in all kinds of atrocity - that's why, despite being the single most destructive and evil character in the game in terms of raw body count, people like him.

Varis on the other hand is a dumb nazi thug lol

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Why would Zenos be part of the WoL's soul? He's also from the Source.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Chillgamesh posted:

Zenos is totally going to be the missing half of the WoL's soul.

I'd been going with the theory that he might be Hylothodeus about as hard as the theory that Y'shtola might be. The possibility of Zenos also being Azem only really works if Emet had, somehow, been trying to bring parts of other, missing souls over to the Source with the intent of trying to assemble a whole Amurotian.

But all indications seem to be pushing towards him having lost all interest in his children when his son died early in life, and Zenos being some kind of strange anomaly.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

Why would Zenos be part of the WoL's soul? He's also from the Source.

ngl I think every single post I have made itt wrt soul dynamics has been insanely wrong and come from a place of misunderstanding how they work lmao

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zenos is probably the result of being the gandson of an Ancient soul (cause I bet there's soul shenanigans in genetics), coupled with a chance of being a Sundered soul + the Resonant thing which is an artificial Echo, coupled with a sociopathic upbringing given his short story, all culminating in the mess he is.

Also I'd prefer if he weren't like a sundered important ancient and he just, has a big murder-bone-crush for the WoL.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius is a cool video game man and i wanna hang out with him. Gaius trust when

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah I don't think anyone's character will be improved at this point by having them be the fragmented soul of a significant ancient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zenos trust when

Furthermore in these fascism convos why does nobody care that your character is forced to join one of three organizations that exist primarily to yell racial slurs at indigenous people and literally kill their gods

I guess the gridanians do that the least but nobody cares about gridania