Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Ego-bot posted:

Big news from the Democratic stronghold of Wyoming

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1369140905052172288?s=20

This is wild, wasn't it literally part of the stimulus bill to give a bonus to states that expanded medicaid but it was determined that clause wouldn't be enacted because all the relevant states said "no thanks"? Is this something that would get through the governor, or is it just gonna get vetoed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Cool, I was going to ask the thread/Friendbot, etc whether Foy was a good choice for governor. I've been receiving piles of e-mails from her campaign for weeks. Roem's endorsement is a big plus for me.

Foy is a great choice for governor! It is likely going to be a race between Terry McAuliffe and her and while T-mac isn't as progressive as her on a lot of things, he is very well liked and very good on labor issues so I can live with him if she doesn't get the nomination. He was a surprisingly good governor and will rubber stamp anything the VADEMs pass.

Foy getting these endorsements proves it's actually going to be a race, but my money is still on T-Mac just from name recognition alone and being generally popular across the board with a wide spectrum of ideologies.

If Del Elizabeth Guzman wins LT Gov, we are going to have a progressive dream team in the governors mansion

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 10, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Ego-bot posted:

Big news from the Democratic stronghold of Wyoming

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1369140905052172288?s=20

Meanwhile in neighboring South Dakota, we passed a bill banning trans girls competing in girls/womens sports! To commemorate International Women's Day!

There are no trans girls competing in sports this year and there has been only one in the last ~decade.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/n...jexiHsLMHOeVMyo

It's pissing off some (but not enough) of the conservatives in the state because it's going to cost money to implement and also cost money to defend in court. ACLU will challenge it immediately.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Ralph wants to toke up.

quote:

RICHMOND — Gov. Ralph Northam has asked the General Assembly to speed up the legalization of marijuana in the state, making it lawful for an adult to possess up to one ounce on July 1, 2021, instead of waiting until early 2024.

Northam’s request is in the form of a proposed amendment to the legalization bill the General Assembly passed last month. The legislature had settled on the later date amid last-minute wrangling on the complex, 250-page bill.

“Our Commonwealth is committed to legalizing marijuana in an equitable way,” Northam (D) said in a news release ahead of Wednesday’s deadline for filing the amendment. “Virginia will become the 15th state to legalize marijuana — and these changes will ensure we do it with a focus on public safety, public health, and social justice.”

His proposals include changes to several other aspects of the legislation. One would empower the Cannabis Control Authority — the new regulatory agency that will be created to oversee the marijuana industry — to suspend the licenses of businesses that don’t allow workers to organize, pay less than a prevailing wage or classify more than 10 percent of workers as independent contractors.

Northam is also proposing a quicker route for expunging marijuana-related incidents from criminal records, and allowing home cultivation of up to four plants per household as of July 1, 2021.

In addition, he is seeking budget amendments to set aside money this year for an advertising campaign on the safety risks of marijuana use and to begin training police to recognize driving under the influence of the drug.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Letting our dumbass blackface governor stick around turned out a lot better than expected. Hopefully the changes get implemented because holy gently caress what is the point of waiting until 2024.

Speaking of, has anything actually happened with the allegations against Fairfax? Nothing new on his wiki page since the incident and he's a candidate for governor now.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Captain Cappy posted:

Letting our dumbass blackface governor stick around turned out a lot better than expected. Hopefully the changes get implemented because holy gently caress what is the point of waiting until 2024.

Speaking of, has anything actually happened with the allegations against Fairfax? Nothing new on his wiki page since the incident and he's a candidate for governor now.

he is never going to hold public office in va again, which is something, but in terms of 'investigations', no. fairfax actually tried to have his accusers criminally investigated but nobody was interested in helping him.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Captain Cappy posted:

The VADems have pushed Fairfax's future into a trunk and sunt it at the bottom of the Chesapeake. Like, I don't even think the VA Black Caucus is backing him. Like, I don't think he is going to be put in prison sadly, but his candidacy is a loving joke and the race is solely between T-Mac and Foy at this point.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

friendbot2000 posted:

The VADems have pushed Fairfax's future into a trunk and sunt it at the bottom of the Chesapeake. Like, I don't even think the VA Black Caucus is backing him. Like, I don't think he is going to be put in prison sadly, but his candidacy is a loving joke and the race is solely between T-Mac and Foy at this point.

Aren't you forgetting someone?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

Lee Carter is running a vanity campaign. He's unlikely to get more than a few percent in the primary and any resources/effort used to support him would be better spent on Foy.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Youth Decay posted:

Lee Carter is running a vanity campaign. He's unlikely to get more than a few percent in the primary and any resources/effort used to support him would be better spent on Foy.

im kind of pissed about mcclellan getting shafted by mcauliffe entering - it would've been her primary to win otherwise. if we're being honest, foy also has a zero % chance of winning. its going to be mcauliffe in a landslide.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Discendo Vox posted:

Carter Delinda Est

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Aruan posted:

im kind of pissed about mcclellan getting shafted by mcauliffe entering - it would've been her primary to win otherwise. if we're being honest, foy also has a zero % chance of winning. its going to be mcauliffe in a landslide.

yeah true, but Foy at least has some chance of making an impact in the race even if it's just to get McAuliffe to talk progressive.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Youth Decay posted:

yeah true, but Foy at least has some chance of making an impact in the race even if it's just to get McAuliffe to talk progressive.

this is crazy to type, but in terms of big ticket items there just not that much left to push for - its just expanding a lot of whats already there (i.e. increasing school funding, but the fight of "do we even fund schools" has already been won)

like, look at foy on health care

quote:

Reduce health insurance costs by building a Virginia Reinsurance Program that will lower premiums for hardworking families.
Ensure transparency in medical pricing so that Virginians know exactly what they’ll pay for the care they need and can make informed decisions.
Boost broadband coverage to bring telehealth visits to more Virginians.
Additional investments in rural healthcare so Virginians can access quality care in their own community.
Ensure Virginians of all backgrounds have equal access to health services by:
Increasing funding for the Virginia Maternal Mortality Review Team.
Allocating funding for doula care through Medicaid to drive down racial disparities in childbirth outcomes.
Make Virginia medical schools more diverse by ensuring students of color have an equal shot at such a career path.
Increasing access to culturally competent care.

when one of her items is "fund doula care and increase diverse student admissions to medical school" then... thats progress!

(also theres nothing the governor can do to increase URM admissions to medical schools)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
:thejoke:

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Owlspiracy posted:

Yeah, there is some insider baseball about T-Mac being unhappy with what he was offered in the Biden Admin so he ran anyways, which he was only going to do if Trump won. McClellan got the nod from literally everyone including T-Mac and he just...hosed her over. Eh, thats local politics for ya! Never a dull moment!

But the story is that all the endorsements going to Foy is a message to T-Mac in the words of "That's a paddlin". The VADEMs are more than a little upset at him right now because state politics is very much a "wait your turn" kinda system. Which you can argue is good or bad all you want, but that is just the reality of most democratic systems on the planet tbh. You put in your time and ascend to higher office and yes, there is a line to the Governors Mansion and the knives come out when you cut. Foy has a decent trajectory to the Governors Mansion, I just don't think it is going to be this year. She has only spent 2 years in the House of Delegates, and that isn't normally enough time to shore up support for a Gov Bid. However, she does have a decent amount of name recognition from some of the polling I have seen, so she has a chance to not get completely blown out. Remains to be seen.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Owlspiracy posted:

this is crazy to type, but in terms of big ticket items there just not that much left to push for - its just expanding a lot of whats already there (i.e. increasing school funding, but the fight of "do we even fund schools" has already been won)

Does Virginia have card check?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Another Good Virginia Thing
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/05/us/virginia-bans-gay-trans-panic-defense-trnd/index.html
Virginia becomes the first state in the South to ban gay and trans panic as a defense

quote:

Delegate Danica Roem introduced the bill in the Virginia House of Delegates earlier this year, and Gov. Ralph Northam signed the bill last week. It goes into effect in July.
Under Virginia's new law, "the discovery of, perception of, or belief about" someone's sex, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation is not a defense or "provocation" for murder or manslaughter.
Roem, who in 2017 became the first transgender lawmaker elected to a state legislature, told NBC News' LGBTQ vertical, NBC Out, that she was compelled to introduce the bill after she received a letter from an LGBTQ teen constituent urging her to ban the defense.
"What we were showing was, sometimes things are so egregious that when we have this universal acknowledgment that this shouldn't be happening, we codify that," she told NBC Out. "And so that's what we did with this bill."

Thank you Danica Roem.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

One of the more shameful and unfortunate parts of legal history, I’m glad to see VA is moving forward.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/danielmarans/status/1379583202168279040?s=21

Fuckin' Y I K E S

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Fairfax is a lunatic and rapist. Can’t wait for him to be out of office for good.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The Maryland legislature just overrode the governor's veto of a law repealing the state's "police bill of rights".

quote:

Maryland enacted historic police accountability measures Saturday, becoming the first state to repeal its powerful Law Enforcement Officers’ Bill of Rights and setting new rules for when police may use force and how they are investigated and disciplined.

The Democrat-dominated legislature dealt Republican Gov. Larry Hogan a sharp rebuke, overriding his vetoes of measures that raise the bar for officers to use force; give civilians a role in police discipline for the first time; restrict no-knock warrants; mandate body cameras; and open some allegations of police wrongdoing for public review.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Aren't police also civilians?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Don't tell them that. American police pretty much consider themselves an occupying military force.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah the concept of cops calling people “civilians” implies they think the streets are a literal warzone. I bet it’s not a stretch for them to think that there might be some amount of “acceptable loss” while they’re doing whatever.

I believe the term “sergeant” in the realm of police was an adoption of the term “sergeant at arms” and not a sergeant in the military but the ranks, the quasi-military structure/livery, it all really does create a feeling of being an occupying military. I guess. I don’t know any cops, but the military haircuts and the.. everything makes me think they’re cosplaying military.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

this is basically the Virginia Good Things thread

Virginia governor signs bills creating tuition-free community college program for low, middle-income students
https://www.wric.com/news/virginia-...ncome-students/

The cutoff is 400% of the poverty line, so for 2021-2022 up to $49,960 for a single independent student or $103k for someone from a household of 4. That covers a lot of students.
https://www.brcc.edu/Assets/uploads/finaid/2021-22/g3-income-eligibility-guidelines-2021-2022.pdf

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

New poll is out showing MacAuliffe completely destroying everyone else. Even if everyone but Foy dropped out he’d still run away with it.

Herring has a sizable lead in the AG race although Jay Jones has been gaining ground. I have no idea who to root for in the LG race mostly on account of I have no idea who any of them are.

T-Mac and Herring winning their primaries isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it is disappointing when you feel like this state has gotten to the point where it doesn’t need to be led by old white dudes.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Ballz posted:

New poll is out showing MacAuliffe completely destroying everyone else. Even if everyone but Foy dropped out he’d still run away with it.

Herring has a sizable lead in the AG race although Jay Jones has been gaining ground. I have no idea who to root for in the LG race mostly on account of I have no idea who any of them are.

T-Mac and Herring winning their primaries isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it is disappointing when you feel like this state has gotten to the point where it doesn’t need to be led by old white dudes.

Once T-mac entered the race it was over. Now the best look to the future of the VA Executive is the LT Gov. I am waffling between Hala Ayala or S. Rasoul. Both are very good progressive choices and being LT makes them heir apparent for Governor in 4 years with how VA politics works. The race currently leans within a hairs breath of Rasoul, but I wouldnt hold my breath on that. Either way, both would make excellent governors

T-Mac will rubberstamp anything that the Dems send his way anyways and he has always been a good friend to labor and teachers so I am comfortable with him winning, I would prefer Foy, but eh, what can you do. The scuttlebutt now is that he entered to murder Fairfax's chances because name recognition is...powerful at this level.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

friendbot2000 posted:

Once T-mac entered the race it was over. Now the best look to the future of the VA Executive is the LT Gov. I am waffling between Hala Ayala or S. Rasoul. Both are very good progressive choices and being LT makes them heir apparent for Governor in 4 years with how VA politics works. The race currently leans within a hairs breath of Rasoul, but I wouldnt hold my breath on that. Either way, both would make excellent governors

T-Mac will rubberstamp anything that the Dems send his way anyways and he has always been a good friend to labor and teachers so I am comfortable with him winning, I would prefer Foy, but eh, what can you do. The scuttlebutt now is that he entered to murder Fairfax's chances because name recognition is...powerful at this level.

I personally am supporting Rasoul but I am agreed on both he and Ayala being good picks.

I got polled for this poll btw.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'm still voting for Foy in the primary, even if it's a lost cause. Maybe a better-than-expected showing might help her for something else down the road. I'll also be going with Jay Jones for AG. He also will probably lose, but it does look like a lot of undecideds are swinging hard for him.

I'll probably just flip a coin on LG at this point if they're both solid progressive choices.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I swear, Arizona just needs to sink into hell or something. I don't even know anymore.

https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/55leg/1R/bills/SB1532H.htm

Basically, without defining "controversial," it's now forbidden to teach controversial subjects without providing both sides of an issue without deference to any side. Teachers face a $5000 fine.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

lol

quote:

E. A TEACHER, ADMINISTRATOR OR OTHER EMPLOYEE OF A SCHOOL DISTRICT, CHARTER SCHOOL OR STATE AGENCY MAY NOT REQUIRE INSTRUCTION IN OR MAKE PART OF A COURSE THE FOLLOWING CONCEPTS:

1. ONE RACE, ETHNIC GROUP OR SEX IS INHERENTLY MORALLY OR INTELLECTUALLY SUPERIOR TO ANOTHER RACE, ETHNIC GROUP OR SEX.

2. AN INDIVIDUAL, BY VIRTUE OF THE INDIVIDUAL'S RACE, ETHNICITY OR SEX, IS INHERENTLY RACIST, SEXIST OR OPPRESSIVE, WHETHER CONSCIOUSLY OR UNCONSCIOUSLY.

3. AN INDIVIDUAL SHOULD BE INVIDIOUSLY DISCRIMINATED AGAINST OR RECEIVE ADVERSE TREATMENT SOLELY OR PARTLY BECAUSE OF THE INDIVIDUAL'S RACE, ETHNICITY OR SEX.

4. AN INDIVIDUAL'S MORAL CHARACTER IS DETERMINED BY THE INDIVIDUAL'S RACE, ETHNICITY OR SEX.

5. AN INDIVIDUAL, BY VIRTUE OF THE INDIVIDUAL'S RACE, ETHNICITY OR SEX, BEARS RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACTIONS COMMITTED BY OTHER MEMBERS OF THE SAME RACE, ETHNIC GROUP OR SEX.

6. AN INDIVIDUAL SHOULD FEEL DISCOMFORT, GUILT, ANGUISH OR ANY OTHER FORM OF PSYCHOLOGICAL DISTRESS BECAUSE OF THE INDIVIDUAL'S RACE, ETHNICITY OR SEX.

7. ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT, MERITOCRACY OR TRAITS SUCH AS A HARD WORK ETHIC ARE RACIST OR SEXIST OR WERE CREATED BY MEMBERS OF A PARTICULAR RACE, ETHNIC GROUP OR SEX TO OPPRESS MEMBERS OF ANOTHER RACE, ETHNIC GROUP OR SEX.

hasn't passed the senate yet tho

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
When your campaign's going great

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1391245567947329536?s=20

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
My "About The Dead Girl In My Bathtub" website section has people asking a lot of questions already answered by it

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I swear, Arizona just needs to sink into hell or something. I don't even know anymore.

Basically, without defining "controversial," it's now forbidden to teach controversial subjects without providing both sides of an issue without deference to any side. Teachers face a $5000 fine.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

lol

I re-upped my teaching contract for next year right before my board shut down masks, and was just starting to talk myself into not going back on it and sticking with the plan to try another year in AZ when this poo poo appeared. I wrote a letter to my Superintendent asking for some kind of response to this because it literally makes teaching Social Studies an untenable financial risk if it passes. Curious what she'll have to say.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

lol

Okay. Don't talk about individuals. Teach about the systemic and societal racism and white supremacy that pervades our culture.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
A family member of mine who's a teacher told me yesterday that she was asked to stop developing her curriculum for the civil rights movement until further notice.

It hasn't passed, but the possibility that it might pass is already affecting education.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A family member of mine who's a teacher told me yesterday that she was asked to stop developing her curriculum for the civil rights movement until further notice.

It hasn't passed, but the possibility that it might pass is already affecting education.

Funny, my principle hadn't even heard of it and told me not to worry, and he's pretty center-right. He did say he was going to ask the Super about it at the next principle's meeting though. I already wrote her and she hasn't written back yet.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

lol

Note the cutout that allows a school to teach that one religion is superior.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

lol

There is a large amount of "I'M NOT MAD!!" energy dripping from these stipulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
whats some good political stuff to get involved in PA? i sent in some volunteer stuff for the fetterman campaign the day it launched but i never got anything back. id like to either work/volunteer for for a senator or some sorta of org. any advice?