Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Sir that is a paella pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Needs saffron sidewall tires

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

numberoneposter posted:

WHOS RIDING BIKES THIS WEEKEND?!?!?!?!

Biked 30km over 2 hours today. My watch thinks I burned only 500 calories. I think it's lying.

Really liking my Brompton.

Might bike to get my Covid vaccine tomorrow, not sure yet since I imagine parking may be a nightmare.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm sick of this bullshit headwind that follows me every goddamn ride I do

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao it was awful today

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Hail of a good time.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Biked down to the beach taking a route thru bougie west LA I've never been to before and it was mostly enjoyable.

I feel like I'm running out of places to go checkout that feel do-able within a day around my area and don't absolutely suck to get to though - I would be happy if I never had to pedal thru Tujunga again.

Apr 7, 2003

I'm weak as poo poo this year, I did two ~33 mile rides this week and they both exhausted me. good lord.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm weak as poo poo this year, I did two ~33 mile rides this week and they both exhausted me. good lord.

I was just thinking that I rode all of 10 miles today since it was my first time out in more than 6 months and on a brand new gravel bike. loving 70 some odd miles is something I could only dream of at this point.

Apr 7, 2003

I closed out last year with two ~115 mile rides and then, like a genius, sat on my rear end for four months. Great way to cruise to fitness at age 40.

I looked for Zwift-compatible trainers, didn't find any available, and poo poo my fitness pants.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Being able to ride/train inside has been a game changer for me. I'm bored of all of the 1-1:30 loops I can do from my front door. Plus it's so nice not to have to think about the training plan not to mention mess with the weather appropriate layers and route planning etc. I still like riding outside on the weekends when I can get 3-6 hours in the saddle. But it's so much easier for get miles in during the week when all you have to do is put on bibs, turn on the tv and go.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I closed out last year with two ~115 mile rides and then, like a genius, sat on my rear end for four months. Great way to cruise to fitness at age 40.

I looked for Zwift-compatible trainers, didn't find any available, and poo poo my fitness pants.

Every trainer is Zwift compatible. You just need a speed and cadence sensor.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I had a massive smash today. Dumb cause, clipped the back wheel of the guy in front which then launched me into the verge at 25mph. Bars and left shifter are dead and I'm pretty messed up from the hips down. Very lucky I didn't go straight into a tree.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

I had a massive smash today. Dumb cause, clipped the back wheel of the guy in front which then launched me into the verge at 25mph. Bars and left shifter are dead and I'm pretty messed up from the hips down. Very lucky I didn't go straight into a tree.

Pouring one out for your balls. Get hydrocolloid dressings for the road rash, they are magical.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:rip:

now post pics

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

drat, glad you’re mostly ok. Post them pics.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

serious gaylord posted:

poo poo. Hope you come out as ok as possible

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

Sorry to hear it. Hope you recover quickly.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i rode around town and found some hidden singletrack that i couldn't help but take my road bike on. sliding down hills is still riding them, right? :allears:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

serious gaylord posted:

Ouch, no bueno. Really sorry to hear it. Hope the injuries are only superficial / soft tissue and nothing is broken.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There was a chance of a fractured pelvis but it turns out ive got nothing broken, just all soft tissue. It feels like every muscle attached to my pelvis has been pulled and everything from the knees down on the left leg is just pain right now. I'm able to walk but its like a 90 year old man shuffle.

I'm quite lucky, 2 feet to the right from where I hit was a very loving large tree and well we could be having a different conversation.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That loving sucks but ya soft tissue damage is a hell of a lot easier to recover from than fractures. Take it easy and stretch it out slowly. Plenty of time later for bikes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Fuuuck that sucks, hope you have someone to bring you snacks and the remote control and whatnot while your recover.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

serious gaylord posted:

There was a chance of a fractured pelvis but it turns out ive got nothing broken, just all soft tissue. It feels like every muscle attached to my pelvis has been pulled and everything from the knees down on the left leg is just pain right now. I'm able to walk but its like a 90 year old man shuffle.

Relatively speaking that's great news, take care of yourself

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I rode bikes this weekend.

30 miles on the road (endurance?) bike on Saturday which was fun but it got hot.

Today did 15 miles with the hybrid and toddler trailer and visited 2 playgrounds with little guy who I haven't been out with in about a month and he was so happy to go out with me that I got kind of emotional about it.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Hey I need to buy a lock for my folding bike that I will sometimes need to lock up with my 5 year old's tiny two wheeler.

I'd surely like to prevent the bikes from easily being stolen but I don't care enough to lug around a 20lb lock or anything like that. So just something to stop the casual bike borrower please. Is there a type or make/model people recommend?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Onguard make budget U locks that meet the safety standard. Unfortunately it’s a case of 3lb+ or useless.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Rode my bike this weekend, met many cool birds. Good weekend.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The flatlands!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

learnincurve posted:

Onguard make budget U locks that meet the safety standard. Unfortunately it’s a case of 3lb+ or useless.

Thanks. Are folding locks any good? They seem to be more expensive but not so bulky...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Folding lock reviews all make them seem absolutely wonderful, until right at the end underneath a picture in tiny writing it says: (these will not hold up to ordinary household bolt cutters)

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

learnincurve posted:

(these will not hold up to ordinary household bolt cutters)
Which is a step above a casual bike borrower.

Every lock can be broken. No bike is safe. Ride what you can afford to loose. I'm tempted to get an aluminum U-lock for the illusion of security without the weight of a hardened steel shackle.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If it isn't an orange shackle Kryptonite or a high end Abus it's not gonna hold up to a determined meth head with folding cutters. Pick your poison; a heavy lock or a convenient lock.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Get a small in length but beefy d lock and use the Sheldon brown method to lock it. It makes it a pain for them to try and get purchase on it so they'll just move on to the bike next door. You really don't notice even a pretty heavy lock when you're on the bike.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Bike theft is opportunistic so the goal isn't to make it impossible to steal, because they will have anything if they really want it. Theres a video on youtube of people using a cordless angle grinder in the middle of a park in London (And then getting wrecked by a passer by).

The goal is to make it a pain in the rear end to take your bike, either by needing noisy machines to get through the lock or by making bikes near yours more appealing because they're easier.

Apr 7, 2003

I got a nice abus folding lock last year. It fell off the little frame mount they give you during a nice October ride.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

When I lived in the netherlands my rule was to spend more on the lock than the bike.
Now that I have *nice things* it's a bit harder.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Bike theft is opportunistic so the goal isn't to make it impossible to steal, because they will have anything if they really want it. Theres a video on youtube of people using a cordless angle grinder in the middle of a park in London (And then getting wrecked by a passer by).

The goal is to make it a pain in the rear end to take your bike, either by needing noisy machines to get through the lock or by making bikes near yours more appealing because they're easier.

How’s the body holding up today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i always have my lock in my backpack or attached to my belt, which was the style at the time, when im not riding around in kit so im a big fan of the lightweight Kryptonite Evolution LITE Mini-6.