Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SITB posted:

Why would it happen though? In the good ending Angela shined the light on the city almost completely (Roland pulled her out so she didn't disappear with it), Ayin's goal (and by extension Carmen's) was reached.

Maybe you could have a bit about putting Carmen out of her misery as a nervous system that was complicit in Ayin's deeds without the ability to act for those 10,000 years, but trying her on all the suffering caused by her actions post Lob Corp feels immensely hypocritical given Angela's actions and all the bodies that she left in her wake.

I suspect Carmen's goal either has changed or never was as good as people were hoping for. She's just too strange, too perfect, and the parallels with White Night are too appropriate for me to be convinced of anything else with the information we have now.

I also would take a bet she wants Angela's body or something, considering I can't figure why Angela would be turning human otherwise.

lets hang out posted:

I'm not sure Carmen has a secret evil plan, my guess is that she's been feeding the library and recollecting the light just to take another shot at distributing it properly. Maybe even unconsciously. Just a god of the city unwittingly going through the only motions it remembers. The distortion process, when people seem to hear her voice, feels like her function as "the bucket" running out of control. Like exploding the heads of random people around the city, as described early on in Distortion Detective, doesn't really serve any goal I can imagine she'd have.

Anyway I definitely don't expect to unseat the Head in this game. Just escaping alive would be a win.

Might have been a 'taking time to learn how to use these powers' deal. Considering how it's been built up as being purposeful, with the Index and everything it feels like it'd be extremely anticlimactic to have it all just be a coincidence or something.

Like, the Index was basically a collective unconscious or something with it's weird prescripts, but then it was changed to specifically be helping grow the library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I suspect Carmen's goal either has changed or never was as good as people were hoping for. She's just too strange, too perfect, and the parallels with White Night are too appropriate for me to be convinced of anything else with the information we have now.

I also would take a bet she wants Angela's body or something, considering I can't figure why Angela would be turning human otherwise.

I mean, she was the one the gave the OK to Enoch to participate in the life threatening experiment despite being a child and even the original Lob Corp was incredibly sketchy (either Forsaken Murderer history actually happened or it's an allegory for the poo poo that has happened, either way proto-Lob Corp has skeletons in its past). Carmen was never perfect, people just wanted to believe in her ideals and dreams so much they whitewashed her.

(Also Ayin was her immediate successor and was a scapegoat of sorts because how a lot of the awful stuff was ramped up once he was in charge)

Carmen could have changed in the interim, but if the ending ends up vilifying Carmen while glorifying Angela it would be pretty gross given how Angela is just as complicit in everything that happened and before the current ending was on the path of being literally a worse version of Ayin, and if one act is enough to wash away all her sins then Ayin should have been similarly exonerated.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The difference is when Angela has a choice, in the good ending, at least, she tries to do the right thing, while Carmen did some pretty diabolical things entirely of her own initiative. Angela is more victim than perpetrator, Carmen is the opposite.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Angela literally choose to build the library and recommit all of Ayin's sins. As for being a victim, who isn't in the City? That was the point of Roland's entire arc, everyone is both a victim and a preparator; and as the second RRR reception pointed out it's not like Angela can claim that no one has suffered as much as she has.

And as for trying to do the right thing, Carmen from the start wanted to save humanity while Angela spent most of the game determined to extract her revenge on Ayin (and to a lesser extent on the City). Also, in the bad ending Angela got the One Book that gave her all the information she said she wanted so it's not like Angela is somehow free of greed or was tricked by Carmen.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Everything we've been told about Carmen is filtered through the memory of someone hopelessly infatuated with her, except for her only on-screen appearances where all she does is show up to people in crisis and convince them to ruin their lives further. Admittedly thousands of years of sitting as a spooky tree-spine-brain statue thing in a tank at the bottom of L Corp probably did not improve her temperament, if she was at all aware for any of that.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 10, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SITB posted:

Angela literally choose to build the library and recommit all of Ayin's sins. As for being a victim, who isn't in the City? That was the point of Roland's entire arc, everyone is both a victim and a preparator; and as the second RRR reception pointed out it's not like Angela can claim that no one has suffered as much as she has.

And as for trying to do the right thing, Carmen from the start wanted to save humanity while Angela spent most of the game determined to extract her revenge on Ayin (and to a lesser extent on the City). Also, in the bad ending Angela got the One Book that gave her all the information she said she wanted so it's not like Angela is somehow free of greed or was tricked by Carmen.

I'm fairly sure that the entire library thing was from the voice, with Hokma (iirc) pointing out she's just following a new script not actually making her own choices.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If we take that realization literally, Angela spoke with Carmen ("She whispered to me that the answer is written in the book...") and gave in the same way everyone else who distorts does. Given that Distortions are common enough in the City that people know about them, if not what causes them, while Roland mistakes EGO for Workshop gear the first time he sees it, Carmen appears to have a pretty good eye for people who are vulnerable.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Really hard to blame Angela for things since she is likely being extremely manipulated. Just because she follows through on that in the Bad End and becomes extremely lovely and petty doesn't mean she still isn't a victim because she has the capability to do bad things. Since the choices aren't available unless you've done realizations, it shows she grows when she learns from others. She goes from a victim who wants to get revenge to a victim who wants to break the cycle of all that.

Just because someone is a victim of someone else doesn't mean that they are automatically a good person. No one is arguing that Angela is wholly good or something, just that Carmen is the one that set this all into motion. She was reckless and manipulative from the get go. Angela has little choice in the things she did up to this point, and in what is probably going to be the Good/True Ending, she made the choice to better herself and hopefully better others around her rather than make the choice to be Really lovely.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
I mean, Carmen gave Angela the idea to build the library by telling her it will give her what she wanted and then Angela wholeheartedly built it and went "ha ha yes yes more books" while repeatedly reviving people, driving them to emotional extremes and killing them again. Saying that it's mostly Carmen's fault is just downplaying Angela's complicity in the whole thing, especially when you compare to Ayin who did the same thing for better reasons and gets rightfully slammed for his actions.

Sure, Angela in the end choose to do the right thing and break the cycle a second time; but having Carmen as the big villain is just whitewashing all of Angela's actions.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
loving gently caress this god drat game.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Complete list of people in LC/LoR who are blameless:

...Finn? Maybe?

Anyways, it's basically VLR 2.0 because Good people die.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
enoch, i guess?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Angela may be a million years old and have the body of an adult woman, but in many aspects she is still just a child (and an abused child, at that). A lot of her actions are driven by the same kind of ignorance and naivety you see in children and are just as carelessly cruel, but at the same time when she realizes that the rules of her little game aren't as fair as she thought them to be she spends a period time outright telling people to leave for their own sakes, only to give up when she realizes that once someone's circumstances have brought them to the Library nothing she says will dissuade them. That says volumes about how much thought she's put into this system...that being exactly none, because she doesn't know anything about how people or the City works, or even how she herself works because she's been stuck acting on Ayin's bloody script for the vast, vast majority of her existence. Even her decision to set the Abnormalities loose on the world is something born from innocent ignorance rather than malice, a stark contrast to Adam who knew exactly what he was doing. I'd argue that Angela should be held at fault for her actions about as much as Ned Flanders should be held at fault for this. If she's still doing poo poo like this when she's experienced enough to know better, fair enough. But for the majority of the game, she's has a hard time really comprehending something as basic as how much her actions can hurt others.

Carmen, on the other hand? If she is indeed the mastermind here, then as an adult who knows exactly what they're doing she should be held fully responsible for her actions.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

TeeQueue posted:

Complete list of people in LC/LoR who are blameless:

...Finn? Maybe?

Anyways, it's basically VLR 2.0 because Good people die.

How dare you forget Laetitia, a good girl who has done nothing wrong in her life. :colbert:

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Knight of Despair has done nothing wrong, ever, in her life. :colbert:

Angela is 100% percent cognizant of the suffering she has caused. She dresses it as "my system is fair, actually (ignore the fact that all the guests are pre-booked please)" but Angela is actually taking revenge on the City for her suffering. It was mentioned in Hokma's realization that she resents the Sefirot* and in one of the post receptions convos (The Liu branch IIRC? Post Red Mist actually) on how she is glad that the Distortions appear and gently caress poo poo up rather than let power go into the hands of 'unworthy' people and in this update she mentioned how she wanted to to be recompensed for her suffering. That's why her choice to spread the Light instead of taking it for herself is so powerful, because she abandons her grudge against the City**.

EDIT: Her wanting to release the abnos comes from a place of kinship/sympathy as other beings that were carelessly created by Ayin and then discarded once they have outlived their usefulness.

*And also yearns for their friendship.
** The parallels between her and Ayin were pretty on the nose for this update. Like in general you had Ayin : Angela :: Angela : Roland, but she literally choose to atone by spreading the Light across the City and intending to disappear with it. Except that she didn't personally hate Roland and choose to deny him any and all closure, so instead of getting dunked on Roland saved her by not letting her be subsumed by the Light.

SITB fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 11, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Laetitia is an Abnormality, silly, they're not people! :v:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

SITB posted:

(ignore the fact that all the guests are pre-booked please)

actually wait. wait.

waaaait.

couldn't she have just use the lighted copies to beat over and over to get infinite copies of the books a la red mist while letting the original get out with the book they came for, in order to get what she wants while only sowing suffering among things she created for the purpose of suffering, thereby at least meaning she's being... as small of a dick as possible?

:psyduck: ow my head.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

TeeQueue posted:

in order to get what she wants while only sowing suffering among things she created for the purpose of suffering

That'd probably be waaaaaaaaaaay too much of an Ayin plan for her liking, considering her history.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

actually wait. wait.

waaaait.

couldn't she have just use the lighted copies to beat over and over to get infinite copies of the books a la red mist while letting the original get out with the book they came for, in order to get what she wants while only sowing suffering among things she created for the purpose of suffering, thereby at least meaning she's being... as small of a dick as possible?

:psyduck: ow my head.

Would the right people walk into the Library knowing that after they get the secret they wanted someone else could get their own secrets? The Library works as a temptation because people think they can get away with it and get what they want with no strings attached if they win (unknowing that the game is rigged).

BisbyWorl posted:

That'd probably be waaaaaaaaaaay too much of an Ayin plan for her liking, considering her history.

That's already what happens though. The grind for pages/books is Angela repeatedly reviving guests, heightening their emotions and killing them.

SITB fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 11, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Given that the ensemble was specifically feeding them, it still probably would have worked... but there's not any way Angela would have known there would be people feeding them delicious meals so that's fair.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
After all that I really don't have the heart to do the endings besides forgive+forgive. Are they worth seeing? I just hope Roland and Angela just go out and have lunch together, that would be nice. As a random aside, I wonder if the warp train people are going to be restored in their post warp train form. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eyp8S05VIAEVsQz?format=png&name=900x900

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 11, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The endings are really cool-maybe you'll be able to access them from the Credenza later? Like how you can see endings A/B/C without getting them once you've beaten LC.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

As much as I can appreciate that LC also did bad ends you could see if you were willing to repeat content I'm not too sure I like the prospect of doing that fight TWO MORE TIMES just to see bad ends. Oh well, it's what YouTube is for.

Also, ALL the book'd people get unbooked? Putting aside the whole "only very few of them are truly innocent" the OTHER end of the spectrum is more interesting to me: some genuine monsters and oppressors have been book'd, and are getting released back into the City. Seems like at least a little oops to me, hahaha.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ending spoilers! Y'all remember this tweet?

https://twitter.com/projmoonstudio/status/1030732226428788741

So looking at the second bad ending, when three of the other former Charles' office fixers are talking about Roland's fate, one of them has what I thought was a gun with an weirdly tacticool stock...

Computer, enhance--

Huh. Wonder if we're going to get the surviving Paladins as a reception. Though, none of those people look like Astolfo.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Reiterpallasch posted:

Ending spoilers! Y'all remember this tweet?

https://twitter.com/projmoonstudio/status/1030732226428788741

So looking at the second bad ending, when three of the other former Charles' office fixers are talking about Roland's fate, one of them has what I thought was a gun with an weirdly tacticool stock...

Computer, enhance--

Huh. Wonder if we're going to get the surviving Paladins as a reception. Though, none of those people look like Astolfo.

Also looks like the bar from the gif the character in the other ending first appeared in.

MinutePirateBug posted:

After all that I really don't have the heart to do the endings besides forgive+forgive. Are they worth seeing? I just hope Roland and Angela just go out and have lunch together, that would be nice. As a random aside, I wonder if the warp train people are going to be restored in their post warp train form. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eyp8S05VIAEVsQz?format=png&name=900x900

They're easy to find on YouTube, definitely worth seeing. Angela's red choice feels like the setup for another dungeon crawling spin-off, I love it. And is I guess one of the possibilities mentioned in the white ordeals text.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SITB posted:

Angela is 100% percent cognizant of the suffering she has caused. She dresses it as "my system is fair, actually (ignore the fact that all the guests are pre-booked please)" but Angela is actually taking revenge on the City for her suffering. It was mentioned in Hokma's realization that she resents the Sefirot* and in one of the post receptions convos (The Liu branch IIRC?) on how she is glad that the Distortions appear and gently caress poo poo up rather than let power go into the hands of 'unworthy' people and in this update she mentioned how she wanted to to be recompensed for her suffering. That's why her choice to spread the Light instead of taking it for herself is so powerful, because she abandons her grudge against the City**.

EDIT: Her wanting to release the abnos comes from a place of kinship/sympathy as other beings that were carelessly created by Ayin and then discarded once they have outlived their usefulness.

** The parallels between her and Ayin were pretty on the nose for this update. Like in general you had Ayin : Angela :: Angela : Roland, but she literally choose to atone by spreading the Light across the City and intending to disappear with it. Except that she didn't personally hate Roland and choose to deny him any and all closure, so instead of getting dunked on Roland saved her by not letting her be subsumed by the Light.

I'm pretty sure fighting the same people repeatedly is a gameplay conceit, not a story one, unless I missed something

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Acerbatus posted:

I'm pretty sure fighting the same people repeatedly is a gameplay conceit, not a story one, unless I missed something

Just like in LobCorp, where a variety of things usually considered gameplay conceits turned out to have in universe explanations and even significant story relevance, so does the fight repetition in Ruina.

It is explained in the story segment after Blue Star that all the guests are immediately quantized and copied when they enter the Library, and that the Library itself is akin to a virtual battle simulator. As in, none of the people who enter are actually dead but rather in some weird-rear end Limbo, and we keep making Light-copies of them to extract their books. This explains why we can fight the same people multiple times and why it doesn't really matter even if we lose. It also means that the whole 'fair deal' the Invitation claims to offer is a load of bullshit.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Theantero posted:

Just like in LobCorp, where a variety of things usually considered gameplay conceits turned out to have in universe explanations and even significant story relevance, so does the fight repetition in Ruina.

It is explained in the story segment after Blue Star that all the guests are immediately quantized and copied when they enter the Library, and that the Library itself is akin to a virtual battle simulator. As in, none of the people who enter are actually dead but rather in some weird-rear end Limbo, and we keep making Light-copies of them to extract their books. This explains why we can fight the same people multiple times and why it doesn't really matter even if we lose. It also means that the whole 'fair deal' the Invitation claims to offer is a load of bullshit.

I think creating a person like that is meaningful effort, with the cutscene for the Red Mist fight and all. It also does go against the 'fair fight' conceit which Angela seems to hold as being important. Lastly, she DID try to convince Lowell to just leave without trying to fight to take anything, which would be at odds with all that. I'd have to check to see if Angela was aware people don't die-die before Hokma mentions it, though.

SITB posted:

Angela is 100% percent cognizant of the suffering she has caused. She dresses it as "my system is fair, actually (ignore the fact that all the guests are pre-booked please)" but Angela is actually taking revenge on the City for her suffering. It was mentioned in Hokma's realization that she resents the Sefirot* and in one of the post receptions convos (The Liu branch IIRC?) on how she is glad that the Distortions appear and gently caress poo poo up rather than let power go into the hands of 'unworthy' people and in this update she mentioned how she wanted to to be recompensed for her suffering. That's why her choice to spread the Light instead of taking it for herself is so powerful, because she abandons her grudge against the City**.

I think the question rests on how much agency someone who was built, in every since of the word, their entire life into being something has when it comes to resisting being that thing.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Theantero posted:

What I don't understand is given that, how do people manage to run away again and again. Like are people actually able to leave any time they want if they desire that? I mean are they basically feeding themselves to a meat grinder and at any point while being ground up, they can just go "I really don't want this" and go home. But, they persist because they are crazy deluded people hopped up on light.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MinutePirateBug posted:

What I don't understand is given that, how do people manage to run away again and again. Like are people actually able to leave any time they want if they desire that? I mean are they basically feeding themselves to a meat grinder and at any point while being ground up, they can just go "I really don't want this" and go home. But, they persist because they are crazy deluded people hopped up on light.

Well, Iori does try to run and is kept in. I think most people are just hesitant to show their backs in a fight.

A lot also kinda have no choice anyways, like Full Stop, or the Index people or the WARP Cleanup Crew

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Theantero posted:

Then how did Philip run away and the device Oscar put on him to teleport out work? Why is Angela surprised when Hokma tells her that people aren't dead? Why is it such a huge deal when Angela creates the Red Mist, since before then only people physically in the Library could be fought? There are a ton of plot holes to this theory that she was aware of it all along

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Like a lot of the "Angela was always bad, and is villainous throughout" just really feels like people are mad at the end of LC and can't let it go when LC is really just a prologue for the story they want to tell with Angela

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
My real question is how the next update in LoR

Also, off-topic, but in my LC run for Day 18 on the nth reset, my pick was between Blue Star, [CENSORED], and the Red Shoes. :smugjones: I also had a choice between three WAWs during Week 3. The day before this, they tried to give me Burrowing Heaven for Training. This is definitely shaping up to be A Facility.

t3isukone fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 11, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

t3isukone posted:

that IS a good question.

if you meant 'how long', the final story patch is next week unless it gets delayed

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Angela is a very relatable protagonist and I hope that things work out well for her in the end.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Acerbatus posted:

that IS a good question.

if you meant 'how long', the final story patch is next week unless it gets delayed

Pfffff

I was going to talk about how >!I'm not sure how it's going to work with the alternate endings in this update-if it'll only go on from the one branch or if there might be different final fights for different plot threads. IE, Roland betraying Angela gets Charles' Office, Angela betraying Roland gets the Head, them sticking together gets A or Carmen.!< But a very Freudian typo.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

t3isukone posted:

Also, off-topic, but in my LC run for Day 18 on the nth reset, my pick was between Blue Star, [CENSORED], and the Red Shoes. :smugjones: I also had a choice between three WAWs during Week 3. The day before this, they tried to give me Burrowing Heaven for Training. This is definitely shaping up to be A Facility.

I’d take Burrowing Heaven in Training, but TBF I generally play zoomed all the way out so I can see everything anyways.

Here’s hoping you get some kinder choices, tho, if these are giving you trouble.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Acerbatus posted:

I think creating a person like that is meaningful effort, with the cutscene for the Red Mist fight and all. It also does go against the 'fair fight' conceit which Angela seems to hold as being important. Lastly, she DID try to convince Lowell to just leave without trying to fight to take anything, which would be at odds with all that. I'd have to check to see if Angela was aware people don't die-die before Hokma mentions it, though.

MotU posted:

Then how did Philip run away and the device Oscar put on him to teleport out work? Why is Angela surprised when Hokma tells her that people aren't dead? Why is it such a huge deal when Angela creates the Red Mist, since before then only people physically in the Library could be fought? There are a ton of plot holes to this theory that she was aware of it all along

MinutePirateBug posted:

The people that run away are all people that just bring more people to the Library, in the end. They leave because the Library allows, and indeed means for them to leave. Recall that the Invitation (sent by Carmen, as per the Hokma realization) is given only to people that are 'destined' to come, so the people that leave are no more than people who are coming just to be allowed to leave. Keikaku doori and all that.

Also, the fact that we do the very same thing with the Red Mist just reinforces the fact that we do the same thing with everybody who comes to the Library (which is not really up to debate, since it is directly stated in the cutscene that this is what we do to everybody). The Red Mist being introduced earlier than Blue Star thus just serves as a kind of prelude to the whole concept, rather than it being a total asspull when it comes up later. If the Red Mist is special in any way, it is because it is the first time Angela thinks to do this directly without utilizing the Invitation, but not because it is in any way implied that this is some particularly difficult thing to achieve . And who knows, perhaps she was initially not aware of this being the case with the Library, because as per the Hokma realization, the Library is fundamentally a Carmen scheme.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

MotU posted:

Angela wasn't surprised when Hokma asked her about why she keeps all the guests in stasis though? She just couldn't answer why she didn't commit to either killing them or releasing them.

Fundamentally, before her choice to forgive Roland Angela is just acting as any other member of the City. Roland literally calls both himself and Angela "A dimwitted egoist whose sight is limited by their own selfishness- A proper fool chasing after immediate results-" because they have basically acted the same way, which is why the good ending is not wholly reliant on Angela forgiving Roland but also on Roland forgiving her. Roland hurt countless others in his desire for vengeance and the game draws a direct parallel between his and Angela's actions; it would be pretty cheap if Roland gets condemned for his actions but Angela doesn't despite the game stating that they are functionally the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Theantero posted:

The people that run away are all people that just bring more people to the Library, in the end. They leave because the Library allows, and indeed means for them to leave. Recall that the Invitation (sent by Carmen, as per the Hokma realization) is given only to people that are 'destined' to come, so the people that leave are no more than people who are coming just to be allowed to leave. Keikaku doori and all that.

Also, the fact that we do the very same thing with the Red Mist just reinforces the fact that we do the same thing with everybody who comes to the Library (which is not really up to debate, since it is directly stated in the cutscene that this is what we do to everybody). The Red Mist being introduced earlier than Blue Star thus just serves as a kind of prelude to the whole concept, rather than it being a total asspull when it comes up later. If the Red Mist is special in any way, it is because it is the first time Angela thinks to do this directly without utilizing the Invitation, but not because it is in any way implied that this is some particularly difficult thing to achieve . And who knows, perhaps she was initially not aware of this being the case with the Library, because as per the Hokma realization, the Library is fundamentally a Carmen scheme.

I don't see how any of this is damning for Angela

Anyways, where is it stated directly we repeatedly summon people? Red Mist intro?