Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Cubs should manage to catch up to the Pirates’ World Series titles at this rate by 2316 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Cardinals rotation is as bad as advertised, very good work in the offseason from Mozeliak!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

does this mean all of those Chicago sports fans are going to transfer over to the White Sox shortly?

the White Sox are very good and very fun to watch by the way

Not really interested in cheering for Tony La Russa, no.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
According to the broadcast the Red Sox are the first team to start a season being swept and following with back to back sweeps.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Good piece from Eric here, it is ridiculous the Dodgers haven’t retired Fernando’s number officially. They have a “HOFers only” policy but they’ve made an exception in the past and Fernando deserves one as well for what he’s done for the franchise.

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/status/1381354109136068608?s=21

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

Also Cubsposters: we aren't even going to TRY and re-sign anybody are we?

Don't you work in finance for the Rickettses? You would know. :v:

But, really ... no, they aren't going to re-sign anyone except making a token effort at Baez and then shrugging and saying, "Welp, we tried." It's clear that the relationship between the team and Bryant is completely fraught--I get the impression that Bryant wasn't prepared for the way Theo Epstein would happily turn to negotiating through the media--and while I was thinking Rizzo getting re-signed was a slam dunk, some of the stuff he's saying now is also making me think that he's guaranteed to be walking, too. So they'll let everyone go on for greener pastures, while exercising Arrieta's option and saying, "Hey, remember 2016? That was really fun, you guys!" for the next ninety-some years.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Good piece from Eric here, it is ridiculous the Dodgers haven’t retired Fernando’s number officially. They have a “HOFers only” policy but they’ve made an exception in the past and Fernando deserves one as well for what he’s done for the franchise.

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/status/1381354109136068608?s=21

I can vaguely remember Fernandomania but sure do wish I was a few years older so I'd have appreciated it.

Look at this lunacy. First 8 career starts after 10 relief appearances in 1980.

5 complete game shut outs.
2 complete games giving up 1 and 2 runs.
and a 9 inning 1 run game where he got the win when LA scored in the top of the 10th.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

N: gently caress the Cards

V: gently caress the Cards

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Tony Phillips posted:

5 complete game shut outs.
2 complete games giving up 1 and 2 runs.
and a 9 inning 1 run game where he got the win when LA scored in the top of the 10th.

Holy poo poo. I remember it too, but I was too young to understand how amazing that was.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jay Jaffe has a nice article on his fan experience following Fernandomania over at Fangraphs, which includes this table of historical comparisons

Edit: and I’ll plug Fernando Nation again for anyone interested in his story and impact. Looks like it’s free on vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/229416151

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 12, 2021

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Just leaving this here:

https://twitter.com/___hash___/status/1381387832191750146

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов
Mr Kershaw is now 100 games above .500 (177-77)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I can't get over the part where he doesn't even get a particularly good break out of the box.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Acuna is super fast and he’s a right handed hitter which is all the more impressive. If he was left handed he’d be doing some Ichiro poo poo beating out grounders to third regularly

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Timby posted:

Don't you work in finance for the Rickettses? You would know. :v:

But, really ... no, they aren't going to re-sign anyone except making a token effort at Baez and then shrugging and saying, "Welp, we tried." It's clear that the relationship between the team and Bryant is completely fraught--I get the impression that Bryant wasn't prepared for the way Theo Epstein would happily turn to negotiating through the media--and while I was thinking Rizzo getting re-signed was a slam dunk, some of the stuff he's saying now is also making me think that he's guaranteed to be walking, too. So they'll let everyone go on for greener pastures, while exercising Arrieta's option and saying, "Hey, remember 2016? That was really fun, you guys!" for the next ninety-some years.

At this point, I’m expecting them to sell off anyone of value near the trade deadline and go into full rebuilding mode. Not extending Rizzo seems like a sign that he is destined to be traded, Bryant too.

Doesn’t help that like no one is hitting right now anyway.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i demand hitting coach julio zuleta

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

31 feet/sec is 21 mph which is legit incredible foot speed. I think olympic sprinters average close to 24 mph and that's without spikes on dirt anyway just nuts

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm ready to ease into some 2014-style cubsposting

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

why did he delete it

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/1381437257144492034

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm ready to ease into some 2014-style cubsposting

It's comforting in a way.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
umps are bullshit and poo poo

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

adaz posted:

31 feet/sec is 21 mph which is legit incredible foot speed. I think olympic sprinters average close to 24 mph and that's without spikes on dirt anyway just nuts

I wonder how close Acuna gets to 24 in ideal conditions. Like, he had to hit a baseball first and then immediately break and run. That’s some hard poo poo!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I want to see someone pitch a perfect game and lose, which is now possible thanks to the extra-innings runner at second rule.

If anyone was going to do it would have been my M’s during Felix’s 2012 perfect game. Glad one run was all that was needed.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Acuna is just unreal and I even broke my No Shirsey policy for him.

So fun.

It isn't fair for him to be that fast and hit 450ft dingers regularly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

adaz posted:

21 mph was his peak speed, Usain Bolt's peak speed was 27 mph. So Acuna's speed is super impressive, but Olympic sprinters are on a whole new level.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Now I’m wondering why MLB teams aren’t getting some sprinters and just teaching them to lay down bunts, or bringing them in as pinch runners in the playoffs.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bird in a Blender posted:

Now I’m wondering why MLB teams aren’t getting some sprinters and just teaching them to lay down bunts, or bringing them in as pinch runners in the playoffs.

Mostly because they, uh, can't, by and large. The pinch-runner-sprinter thing has been tried a couple of times but it's not worth the roster slot, and even bunting an MLB pitch is a mighty feat beyond the ken of mortal men.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
If that speed is accurate that probably makes Acuna the fastest player in baseball and one of the fastest of all time.

Elite baseball players are actually quite a bit faster than Bolt over a 30m/90 ft. There have been a handful of 3.3 second times (Billy Hamilton and Altuve come to mind) recorded in recent years. Bolt's 30m split is in the 3.7 range, which is, if you can believe it, not all that fast by elite athlete standards. It isn't until the last half of a 100m race that Bolt turns into the fastest human of all time, and this by a fair margin.

Also "Bolt" is an official MLB stat.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

I kinda just didn't work out at all;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Washington

Including a ninth inning pick off in a World Series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWb80Qz75bk

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Alex Colome sucks poo poo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

elentar posted:

Irked that takes like this still exist, glad it’s getting utterly dismantled https://twitter.com/joedecamara/status/1380899305809195011?s=21

Q_Q

...also, c'mon fans, don't throw poo poo on the field.
It's one thing in hockey to toss hats for a 'trick. It's another to whip garbage out whenever when you're pissed about your team losing. I guess that falls into 'tradition' too, I suppose, so maybe I should shut it, just seems a little different I guess.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the astros threw poo poo on the field every game in 2017-18

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

elentar posted:

Irked that takes like this still exist, glad it’s getting utterly dismantled https://twitter.com/joedecamara/status/1380899305809195011?s=21

Some jackass called the local sports station to scream about these 'weak millennial pitchers now who only go four innings' and talked about how Bert Blyleven would have punched his manager in the mouth for pulling him early.

Bert Blyleven grew up when leaded gas fumes were everywhere, of course he would have been violent about a game, he has brain damage.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Dumb stats presented with zero comment

2012-2021 Yadier Molina: 288/335/427 106 OPS+ 26.5 bWAR

2012-2021 Albert Pujols: 256/312/448 108 OPS+ 13.2 bWAR

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'll make a comment, this is silly

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Yeah but only one of these guys is 77 years old.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Tony Phillips posted:

I kinda just didn't work out at all;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Washington

Including a ninth inning pick off in a World Series.

Well that makes sense then. Makes even more sense that the A's did it. I think the only other team that would've done something like that was the White Sox around the same time. They loved doing goofy poo poo.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Today's game in Minnesota is cancelled due to the police murdering another black person.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

Today's game in Minnesota is cancelled due to the police murdering another black person.

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1381675819735597060

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL Odor is going to play every day.