Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think "hunter info" is tutorials, and "hunter notes" are the actual useful stuff.

I'm not defending their tutorials or menu systems, if part of their team spent more time on those it'd be a much better received game by a lot of people. The game itself is actually very smooth, fast and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
MHR is a loving great game, but know that the first 20-30 hours are the tutorial. It's a drat fun time, don't sweat it and don't worry about optimizing things, just smash poo poo and have fun.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah i think that was actually my problem with the generations ultimate demo: i beat the beginner hunt and expected to immediately be able to do the intermediate hunt. if i can just putter around on the easy hunts i'll have fun. i don't really care about getting good, but of course dont mind if it happens organically while i hunt easy monsters

the wire bug and wyvern riding stuff seems really cool but i know it's gonna be ages before i actually mess with it in a meaningful way

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also i wanna go on record as saying "lmao" that i have to find and select "pause" from a menu

what the christ

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah I thought Rise's controls were really bad when I played the demo, I found myself accidentally chugging potions all the time at full health and it was annoying. I also hate the monster riding mechanic. It looks super cool but to me it feels like absolute poo poo to control.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The games principally multiplayer, the expectation is most of the time you won't be able to pause, and there aren't any buttons left to have a dedicated pause button that only works some of the time.

I just put the Switch to sleep if I want to pause

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I am not a fan of their menu layout yeah, I don't have any immediate fix but I'm sure any half decent UX person could dramatically improve the experience.

Anyways did anybody else turn off the constant map displayed on screen? It's a little annoying having to hit select to look at the map each time I want to track something, but that map was just really breaking my immersion and I'm trying to enjoy these new environments you know?

Having all the songs listed onscreen on my hunting horn talking a quarter of the display makes me a little sad too, but if I turn off that piece of UI it will hide useful information for other weapons. Ah well, I'm just glad they actually let you toggle anything on or off from the UI

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

also i wanna go on record as saying "lmao" that i have to find and select "pause" from a menu

what the christ

Yea this is very dumb, if you hit the Home button it'll auto pause you tho (offline only, I think)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

KingSlime posted:

I am not a fan of their menu layout yeah, I don't have any immediate fix but I'm sure any half decent UX person could dramatically improve the experience.

Anyways did anybody else turn off the constant map displayed on screen? It's a little annoying having to hit select to look at the map each time I want to track something, but that map was just really breaking my immersion and I'm trying to enjoy these new environments you know?

Having all the songs listed onscreen on my hunting horn talking a quarter of the display makes me a little sad too, but if I turn off that piece of UI it will hide useful information for other weapons. Ah well, I'm just glad they actually let you toggle anything on or off from the UI

I hate this too, and tbh I just turn off weapon info whenever I use Horn. You do lose being aware of when Infernal Melody is ready, but it's worth the tradeoff to me, I just hit the button when it seems like a good time. I hope they patch in a separate song list toggle.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Playing DQB2 demo and bouncing off hard. I liked the first one enough but this constant talking and hand holding is unbearable. I have to grow wheat in the farm town, does it get better?

Kind of want to buy and replay DQ2 instead.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Social Animal posted:

Playing DQB2 demo and bouncing off hard. I liked the first one enough but this constant talking and hand holding is unbearable. I have to grow wheat in the farm town, does it get better?

Kind of want to buy and replay DQ2 instead.

I think once it teaches you how to purify soil it leaves you alone to just do the missions and make whatever you want, but it has a lot of systems, and the demo is a good way to show that.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Foul Fowl posted:

famously, fighting games do not require hours upon hours of practice and experience to learn frame data, punishes, combo execution, combo selection, movement, throw breaks, etc. in order to get good. unless you mean by grasp that you can play it on a good, fundamental level without knowing all that which, good news, Rise is like that too.

I’ve never bothered with frame data in a fighting game once and do fine.

If that’s the case, cool.

I’m legit not trying to piss in anyone’s cheerios. I’m just saying it’s more obtuse than popular consensus would indicate. Obtuse enough that it’s just obnoxious enough that I don’t want to put in the time. The only point I was trying to make is that there’s a constant cry of “this one is the accessible one” and that was decidedly not true of World, so I felt like I didn’t want to take the risk with Rise. If I’m wrong I’m wrong, but it’s ultimately just a matter of taste, anyway.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Weird that it’s Capcom’s most successful franchise then

That doesn’t preclude people buying it and noping out after some time. It’s clearly come a long way but sales on their own don’t necessarily indicate anything other than people are willing to drop dough on this thing.

Anyway maybe I’ll give it a go when it goes on sale. Didn’t mean to kick off a shitstorm.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

BurningBeard posted:

That doesn’t preclude people buying it and noping out after some time. It’s clearly come a long way but sales on their own don’t necessarily indicate anything other than people are willing to drop dough on this thing.

This is literally every game, my dude. Achievements have long shown us that like 80% of the people who play a game (any game) never get past the tutorial

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Why don't I immediately know how to play a videogame ive never played in my life!? This question will haunt me eternally.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BurningBeard posted:

You could literally say that about any game

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
The secret to Monster Hunter Rise is going in, picking up a bow, and shooting whatever the quest tells you to in the head until you win, and if you press buttons that cause you to do more damage or take less damage, do them again when needed.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The one thing modern Monster hunter could do to make them more accessible is to actually have the weapon tutorials not be poo poo. As it is they skip over essential mechanics and often don't teach you how the weapon functions at all.

Aside from that I don't think you could somehow make it more accessible without actually negatively affecting the game since it's pretty darn straightforward already.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

World is Capcom’s best selling game of all time and Rise sold almost as many copies in its opening weekend as World did which might be more impressive since it’s only on one console

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

I think once it teaches you how to purify soil it leaves you alone to just do the missions and make whatever you want, but it has a lot of systems, and the demo is a good way to show that.

Thanks I’ll play a little bit more and see how it goes. It’s possible I got my fill from the first game and I’m still feeling it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I thought Rise's controls were really bad when I played the demo, I found myself accidentally chugging potions all the time at full health and it was annoying.

"I pressed the button when I didn't want to press that button and therefore the controls are bad"

bub just don't press the button

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t know if your intentionally misunderstanding are are just kind of dim

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Monster hunter owns but it's definitely way too obtuse at times and I doubt I'll have ever enjoyed any of them if I hadn't watched 2-3 videos on youtube telling me what I need to know, which systems I can freely ignore at the beginning, and showing me the weapon combos.

It's a game series with an extremely steep learning curve and it's easy to get lost or even play the whole game without trying out the weapon type that suddenly makes everything click

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Mr Snips posted:

Monster hunter owns but it's definitely way too obtuse at times and I doubt I'll have ever enjoyed any of them if I hadn't watched 2-3 videos on youtube telling me what I need to know, which systems I can freely ignore at the beginning, and showing me the weapon combos.

It's a game series with an extremely steep learning curve and it's easy to get lost or even play the whole game without trying out the weapon type that suddenly makes everything click

There's literally a training area you can try every weapon in tho?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So my birthday is coming up and as always I'm going to offload my gold points on something for myself. I've only got about 13 euro this year, it's not much (I didn't buy as many games as I did clear out back-log), so I'll pay the difference, but I'm between getting: Hades or Ori 1 (maybe 2).

I'm certain I'll like either game and there's nothing I'm necessarily in the mood for, just wondering what thread opinion/consensus would be. I've previously greatly enjoyed roguelikes, and I'm a huge fan of quality metroidvanias, so yeah.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So my birthday is coming up and as always I'm going to offload my gold points on something for myself. I've only got about 13 euro this year, it's not much (I didn't buy as many games as I did clear out back-log), so I'll pay the difference, but I'm between getting: Hades or Ori 1 (maybe 2).

I'm certain I'll like either game and there's nothing I'm necessarily in the mood for, just wondering what thread opinion/consensus would be. I've previously greatly enjoyed roguelikes, and I'm a huge fan of quality metroidvanias, so yeah.

Hades is amazing

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hades is easily the best rogue like I have ever played.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Norns posted:

I mean a lot of people aren’t going to commit to that. More than likely try one or two them bounce

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean a lot of people aren’t going to commit to that. More than likely try one or two them bounce

:facepalm:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s okay monster Hunter will be fine you don’t need to be overly defensive of your boys

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s okay monster Hunter will be fine you don’t need to be overly defensive of your boys

Just weird that people feel compelled to constantly post about good games they don’t like. Only excusable if it’s about god of war 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think it’s more interesting and I like monster. Hunter.

I also understand why people can find it off putting

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

As someone who has never played a monster hunter game before, I'm glad they provided a demo for rise because I found it to be very poo poo and not fun at all.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

monster hunter fans get really mad when you suggest that maybe the games are kind of newbie unfriendly. i hadn't played any until world and i bounced off of world like three separate times before i picked hammer and it finally clicked. i loving love it now (and rise is so much better) but neither of the games have very good tutorials whatsoever, especially given that the tutorials consist largely of a bunch of tiny text they throw at you one after the other right when you start the game and it's super easy to get overwhelmed.

the games are worth persevering in and learning, but i hugely recommend you have a friend or forum or discord channel or whatever that you can barrage with questions because you will have a million of them and the game is absolutely poo poo at answering specific questions.

monster hunter rules, but their tutorial system is absolutely poo poo. just terrible.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Norns posted:

Yeah and it does a terrible job at teaching you anything but the very basics

There's a loving huge difference between telling you which buttons do which and a video showing you how you can slide down a hill with the hammer and fly into the air and get several extremely satisfying meaty hits in

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I mean Rise is the first one I’ve put any time into so I’m coming from the perspective of a noob, not a longtime fan. I had no real problem getting into it and figuring out what’s going on

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love Monster Hunter more than any other game series, and I can totally understand how a person would give it a genuine try and not enjoy it. It can be a lot.

I can't for the life of me get into a fighting game of any type. Anything with an open world is a pretty much guaranteed miss, too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Frankston posted:

As someone who has never played a monster hunter game before, I'm glad they provided a demo for rise because I found it to be very poo poo and not fun at all.

Yeah the demos are always real fuckin' bad

If rentals were still a thing I would say rent it sometime. It eases you into things and doesn't just go from 1 to 10 in difficulty. I wasn't able to clear anything but the beginner map in the tutorial but killing bubble dragon was ez pz when I got there organically

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah kinda surprised at the defensiveness tbh. Like it’s not personal, it’s just kinda what it’s like for someone outside the MH Bubble(tm).

As someone else who’s on the fence thinking about getting Hades, what makes it great?

Is there enough beyond the metaprogression to keep it fresh? Lot of build types etc?

As a comparison point, I beat Slay The Spire at A0 and was happy enough with my experience. Didn’t feel the need to endlessly crank up the challenge for the hell of it. I know Hades has a lot of expanded difficulty options but the thing that helps with staying power for me is sheer variety of playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hades is fantastic. People seem to really like Ori and while it's pretty I really did not enjoy the combat mechanics compared to Hollow Knight or Bloodstained. Some of the platforming is a real pain too.