Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Eej posted:

I'm just saying, you're probably not going to get a lot of sympathy from people who had to deal with "container truck full of dead bodies" for a summer. Makes me think of Toronto Star running an article a week ago saying Canadians have vaccine envy as though people have memories lasting 2 weeks and completely have forgotten what a shitshow 2020 was.

Maybe not, but it's how a lot of the rest of the world feels at the moment, he can vent if he wants. Having gotten this far only to see your country sliding down the slope makes people angry and frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

This is what happens in Italy, there are two branches of police which coverage mundane stuff and a third one (Carabinieri) with military training that gets called for hard stuff(including overseas policing ops with the army).

Yeah that’s the model I’m thinking of, or Gendarmes in France. With it being a Title 32 force you could leave it nominally under state control outside of federal mobilizations under Title 10 for foreign service. Governors or large city mayors could have some operational control over things on a day to day basis while the military (i.e. going through NGB or whatever channels under DoD) would be responsible for training/equipping/administrative + disciplinary stuff. Regardless of Title 32/10 status, write the law so they’re subject to UCMJ at all times.

TLDR: you build a new national police force with uniform standards/training + subject to UCMJ under the National Guard.

Also I would imagine this force being pretty small since most day to day police calls would be taken over by non-armed first responders anyway.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Y'all reinvented SWAT.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I call my solution, Cops 2

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Y'all reinvented SWAT.

Ah, but federal! So... FBI HRT.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Based on what reasonable, even good Marines I knew would start posting on Facebook once they became cops, every year more sadistic and antagonistic to common society, I don't think training is the problem. Culturally cops see themselves as an occupying force on hostile streets, protectors of a decadent and unworthy public.The only solution is weakening the institution overall, shifting cop money into other avenues. From a diminished state they might fix themselves or might not, but they can at least do less harm. My own city has pumped huge amounts of money and training on our cops, and they're worse and more contemptuous of the pubic than ever.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Last time I discussed this in depth, I landed on, if you were going to do a federal police system the best bet may be ripping off Goldwater Nichols a bit and having the federal side stick with the 'man, train, and equip' function, with local governments providing operational directives. The benefit here is with rotating deployment system and a UCMJ of authority, stuff a cop does in one region, even if following orders, can haunt them later and the methods of policing can be enforced with clear guidance on following federal requirements and turning down orders when they violate federal regulations.

Biggest new downside I see there is a competition that is similar to geographic combatant commanders, with every region saying they need more and more money or forces, but that's no different than it is already. Of course, this hasn't been aggressively discussed, so I'm sure there are weaknesses in that idea I haven't considered yet.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Best Friends posted:

Based on what reasonable, even good Marines I knew would start posting on Facebook once they became cops, every year more sadistic and antagonistic to common society, I don't think training is the problem. Culturally cops see themselves as an occupying force on hostile streets, protectors of a decadent and unworthy public.The only solution is weakening the institution overall, shifting cop money into other avenues. From a diminished state they might fix themselves or might not, but they can at least do less harm. My own city has pumped huge amounts of money and training on our cops, and they're worse and more contemptuous of the pubic than ever.

There is no "the" problem. There are many problems, some dependent on other problems for their existence, some not.

Training cops to see every person around them as a target and to treat them as such is "A" problem.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Best Friends posted:

Based on what reasonable, even good Marines I knew would start posting on Facebook once they became cops, every year more sadistic and antagonistic to common society, I don't think training is the problem. Culturally cops see themselves as an occupying force on hostile streets, protectors of a decadent and unworthy public.

Watch "End of Watch" to see exactly how american cops view themselves. It'sa pure blue lives fanfic propaganda film, right down to cops taking off their badges to fistfight gangbanger tough guys to earn their respect.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Y'all reinvented SWAT.

Except instead of every other cop gearing up like they're SWAT, the idea is that they're the only ones with guns while regular beat officers are disarmed.

e: Also accountability and standards. Federal law enforcement has plenty of issues, but if every local department that wanted to deploy armed cops had to deal with federal standards and oversight that would be an improvement.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 12, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Twin cities police killed someone during a traffic stop earlier so expect things to get crazy in Minnesota earlier than expected.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
A while back, there was a goon who was a Chicago cop in the '60s and had a thread about his experiences, with an emphasis on how corrupt it all was. There were two questions and responses that stuck with me—

quote:

I was the one that asked about the Chicago Police in the other thread... I'm still considering applying, because if you really look at how police departments have changed in the last 30 years, the prospects of things being different are good in my opinion... but if they aren't, I can always leave after a few years and go work somewhere else. I've got some time yet to get more info about the department before I apply, so no rush.

One of my co-workers is a former Milwaukee cop, and he has some similar stories that are just great... though bustin a few heads is about the most rule breaking he's ever hinted at.

quote:

I hope that it has changed but I don't underestimate the difficulty of changing a closed culture like that without first firing everyone and starting over. Each new class leaves the academy, is scattered throughout the city and each begins to learn the 'way it really is'. If they have somehow managed to change I'd love to know how but never will. I never will because no serving cop would every tell the things I've told. Only a year or so after leaving I met a vice-cop I'd not known before at a party and started talking to him. In spite of my having only been gone a year, I was not one of them anymore. He swore up and down that he'd never seen any corruption at all. I just smiled and said I understand and walked away.

quote:

Now that you've experienced all this, do you have any insight as to how little league corruption like this could be stamped out?

quote:

None.

Well, maybe, but I doubt anyone would do it. First demote everyone above the rank of Captain back to that rank and bring in outsiders to replace them. Transfer the entire internal affairs division and look for evidence of those rare cops who could not be subverted. The guys who wrote the mayor a ticket, made a few arrests for bribery, etc. This might be the hardest part to find. Then let everyone know that IA will be actively seeking them out and will not simply respond to citizen complaints. Then go out and sting the hell out of them for years. Then maybe the new recruit out of the academy might be told by the old timer to play it straight or they'll get you. "Not like the good old days."

Obviously the emphasis in these questions/responses was on corruption, but racism and brutality are almost certainly the same way. Generations of cops have been trained to think to shoot first and project authority, and the institutional culture has been baked in to a level that would make it almost impossible to eradicate without an extremely thorough sweep, which would be almost impossible for any municipality to actually undertake. Changing police training and ejecting David Grossman into the sun would help, but reforming policing in America is going to be a long, painful road no matter how it happens.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

orange juche posted:

Would the coke addict Rob Ford have done any better though?

He would have done nothing far more rapidly

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Watch "End of Watch" to see exactly how american cops view themselves. It'sa pure blue lives fanfic propaganda film, right down to cops taking off their badges to fistfight gangbanger tough guys to earn their respect.

It's not just one movie. I don't think even the military, that other unimpeachable institution for the authoritarians in this country, has as many tv shows and movies that are basically dedicated to sucking them off. At least sometimes anti-war movies are attempted

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Copaganda is pretty much the most watched television in this country

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Its basically all CBS shows.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Twin cities police killed someone during a traffic stop earlier so expect things to get crazy in Minnesota earlier than expected.

https://twitter.com/DPet_KARE11News/status/1381393419713527808

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Anti-mask protest starting to get spicy in Montreal right now, anti-maskers saying a few thousand people with more attempting to reach but blocked by the cops. CBC saying a few dozens.

https://twitter.com/cclementyy/status/1381408994468724739?s=20

(This guy is an anti-masker)

Haven’t had a good riot in a while, we used to get them almost monthly.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

hobbesmaster posted:

From what I am hearing he was pulled over for having an air freshner hanging from his rear view mirror (fake edit I guess there was a warrant?). The first time I had ever been pulled over was in MN for having my blue chord (yeah i know shutup) hanging from my rear view mirror. I was driving on a fairly busy two lane street and pulled off to a side road and I got grilled for that for some reason. Cop was mad, I had my hazards on the entire time though so whatever.

Unicorn Riot is covering this on Youtube.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

A while back, there was a goon who was a Chicago cop in the '60s and had a thread about his experiences, with an emphasis on how corrupt it all was. There were two questions and responses that stuck with me—

Obviously the emphasis in these questions/responses was on corruption, but racism and brutality are almost certainly the same way. Generations of cops have been trained to think to shoot first and project authority, and the institutional culture has been baked in to a level that would make it almost impossible to eradicate without an extremely thorough sweep, which would be almost impossible for any municipality to actually undertake. Changing police training and ejecting David Grossman into the sun would help, but reforming policing in America is going to be a long, painful road no matter how it happens.

Tokaii, right? That was a great thread.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

pluto tv has a channel of 24/7 COPS reruns and it's gripping viewing because holy poo poo, these are the calls they cherry pick because they think it makes them look good

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

FrozenVent posted:

Anti-mask protest starting to get spicy in Montreal right now, anti-maskers saying a few thousand people with more attempting to reach but blocked by the cops. CBC saying a few dozens.

Apparently today was going to be a massive White Lives Matter protest/riot day in the USA

https://twitter.com/CatherineKimNY/status/1381401235404771329

Thus the use of the word "apparently". The chudfucks really need an organizing force like Trump calling the shots or they can't really turn out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Love they've dropped all pretense with the language

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Tokaii, right? That was a great thread.

He did two or three threads and they were all fascinating. It was just too bad he made some gross posts that were kind of defending a MMO player who was severely creeping on teenage girls and got banned for it.

The cop thread.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

fuuuck I did not think that was 16 years ago

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 12, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
It happened. Again.

https://twitter.com/IanColdwater/status/1381392498916876288?s=20

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Midjack posted:

He did two or three threads and they were all fascinating. It was just too bad he made some gross posts that were kind of defending a MMO player who was severely creeping on teenage girls and got banned for it.

The cop thread.

Oh yeah didn’t he mention being assigned undercover to anti-civil rights protesters, so he was probably the only goon who threw a rock towards MLK?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah didn’t he mention being assigned undercover to anti-civil rights protesters, so he was probably the only goon who threw a rock towards MLK?

Yeah his first assignment was to infiltrate the local American Nazi Party group and in one of the threads someone found a photo of George Lincoln Rockwell on a march that also had Tokaii walking beside him holding a sign.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
spinning the cop worship dial to 11
https://twitter.com/gregkellyusa/status/1381395949545734145
https://twitter.com/TransEvolutions/status/1381406237837959170

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'll take "Reasons I'm desparately keeping both hands as far outside the car as possible" for $2000, Alex

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's depressing that there is never a time when this isn't relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEMIUy_ySA4

Especially 1:32.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

shame on an IGA posted:

fuuuck I did not think that was 16 years ago

Yeah, they were some really neat threads. Apparently he's passed away since then.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

shame on an IGA posted:

I'll take "Reasons I'm desparately keeping both hands as far outside the car as possible" for $2000, Alex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf5KZSADDhg

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, they were some really neat threads. Apparently he's passed away since then.

That's too bad but not really a surprise, he'd be pushing 90 today and he mentioned a number of health issues. RIP to a real one.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Let's see how Gutfeld! is doing after its first week:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1381306085898870792

...clearly having the host write the comedy when he has no business doing so and repeating the same joke the first three days doesn't work.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Bye.

https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/status/1381427099748114434

Hope every single one of their pullovers and reports get examined by the state. He'll probably get hired by some other department though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The thing I hadn't seen yet was the black guy who refused to leave the convenience store because he knows horny-for-murder cops when he sees them.

"There's nothing I can do for your eyes."

Horseshit. They just took water from the convenience store less than 50 feet away that almost assuredly has milk and Maalox in it. There's also no way that rig doesn't have some kind of Maalox in it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 12, 2021

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

facialimpediment posted:

Bye.

https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/status/1381427099748114434

Hope every single one of their pullovers and reports get examined by the state. He'll probably get hired by some other department though.

How long until his union gets him reinstated?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Zero but he'll have a job at another department in the county within the month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Midjack posted:

The cop thread.

Holy poo poo I was loving there

Also lol at 2005 me wanting to hear my relative's "cool" cop stories