Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

A tea infuser, but it’s Beartoto’s Colossal Titan head poking over the Wall rim.
Unless :thejoke:, that's a thing; I own one.

https://www.amazon.ca/strainer-Attack-Titan-super-sized-giant/dp/B00EPVX3UE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Please tell me the tea cosy on his head is part of it.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Just finished binging this from S2 and today I tried to talk to people about it and got my first 'you're pro fascist if you like AoT' argument so that's a thing. After reading this thread, I see its actually quite common.

I crave more titan so I guess it's time to read the manga.. I hear there are light novels, has anyone read those yet?

DamnitGannet fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 5, 2021

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

DamnitGannet posted:

Just finished binging this from S2 and today I tried to talk to people about it and got my first 'you're pro fascist if you like AoT' argument so that's a thing. After reading this thread, I see its actually quite common.

I crave more titan so I guess it's time to read the manga.. I hear there are light novels, has anyone read those yet?

Before the fall is not very good at all. Lost Girls is pretty good though, specifically the Annie half.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DamnitGannet posted:

did you say anything in response?

maybe try asking them what they think the starship troopers movie is about

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Lol, they had no interest in engaging with me other than to say that I am a fool for not realizing that the show is actually pro-fascist. Their big 'gotcha' was a screenshot from S4 with the armbands. I'm sure to no ones surprise, they havent actually read or watched the show, they just pulled all their 'proof' from that Polygon article.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's really nuts how damaging that article was to peoples perceptions of the series.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Not damaging enough to prevent it from being The Most Popular TV Show. But yeah a certain subculture is dead-set against it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Not damaging enough to prevent it from being The Most Popular TV Show. But yeah a certain subculture is dead-set against it.

Oh yeah thankfully the average person doesn't read garbage like polygon but it's funny to me how without fail anyone Too Online who hasn't read or watched the series will typically quote it as a reason why its bad, sometimes completely out of ignorance rather than malice, which is hosed up to me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah thankfully the average person doesn't read garbage like polygon but it's funny to me how without fail anyone Too Online who hasn't read or watched the series will typically quote it as a reason why its bad, sometimes completely out of ignorance rather than malice, which is hosed up to me.

If someone judges the show without having seen it—even if just partially—any argument they make against it is 100% invalid. Informing one's opinion from lovely blogs/youtube critics is dumb as hell and I wish people would call that poo poo out more.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Polygon also just reposted the exact same article, unmodified from 2 years ago, while the final season was airing.
While also putting out regular news updates about the new episodes and where to watch them.
Polygon is loving trash.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beefstew posted:

Polygon also just reposted the exact same article, unmodified from 2 years ago, while the final season was airing.
While also putting out regular news updates about the new episodes and where to watch them.
Polygon is loving trash.

But think on the clicks!

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

It's so hosed up because there are multiple times where a character will practically look at the reader/viewer and say GENOCIDE IS BAD. RACISM IS BAD. FASCISM IS BAD. And yet you still have people going 'hmm.. seems pretty pro-fash to me, did you see the armbands?'

So basically:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I *just* saw someone complaining on Twitter about hot takes on politics in media and chimed in with "like how AoT is fascist LOL". The OP said "well that's one of the exceptions actually" and a bunch of people agreed.

:negative:

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

The fact of the matter is that the Extremely Online people who say that are in the minority by a huge margin. It's not really worth worrying about, because normal people won't ever encounter them.

edit: Twitter especially, it's the home of do-nothing scolds.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
But Doctor, I am Extremely Online

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Suds McBoo posted:

The fact of the matter is that the Extremely Online people who say that are in the minority by a huge margin. It's not really worth worrying about, because normal people won't ever encounter them.

edit: Twitter especially, it's the home of do-nothing scolds.

I wish that were the case, but these idiots do have a real world effect. It's not enough to just ignore them.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Asuron posted:

I wish that were the case, but these idiots do have a real world effect. It's not enough to just ignore them.

That's true, but I guess what I was going for is that the harm in this case is some people might not watch a TV show. Ignoring racist poo poo online has a much more dire impact than something like this.

Prioritize what you let upset you was my point I guess. I don't like the "AoT is fascist" narrative but it's small potatoes* in the long run.

*RIP Sasha

a seagull fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 6, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I took a while to start watching this show because the only interaction I had with it is the "but it's fascist" crowd (but I read a lot of twitter)

It's really clear after watching the whole thing that like... 90% of the message is war is poo poo always. Really like how you root for Eren at the beginning to "kill all titans!!" and then he's killing all titans like he said he would and you're like ah poo poo this is a bit much

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Let's just make all the "AoT is fascist" people wear armbands to identify themselves so we can avoid conversation with them

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Alright, well, I caught up to the manga. No spoilers, obviously, but I'm still going to spoiler tag some quick thoughts to be on the safe side.

Holy poo poo. :stonklol: This was very difficult to read at parts and it's going to be absolutely horrifying to see animated. I can't wait.

Martman posted:

Let's just make all the "AoT is fascist" people wear armbands to identify themselves so we can avoid conversation with them

:drat:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You might want to jump on to the manga thread.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Martman posted:

Hmmmm. Let's not.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I was thinking the other day about the "AOT is fascist" pseudo controversy and while I know the series is very much not fascist it made me wonder what the big deal would be if it actually was. I dont believe media has that much of an effect on peoples political leanings plus the wests entire cultural output for the past 20 years has been superhero/military industrial complex propaganda wank. Is it impossible for people to wrap their heads around enjoying a piece of media that they disagree politically with?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Eustace posted:

I was thinking the other day about the "AOT is fascist" pseudo controversy and while I know the series is very much not fascist it made me wonder what the big deal would be if it actually was. I dont believe media has that much of an effect on peoples political leanings plus the wests entire cultural output for the past 20 years has been superhero/military industrial complex propaganda wank. Is it impossible for people to wrap their heads around enjoying a piece of media that they disagree politically with?

Yeah I unironically think Marvel movies, Call of Duty games glorify fascist ideals and those are some of the most popular media in the world. I personally don't play military shooters because this stuff makes me uncomfortable (Specifically being from the middle east has a lot to do with it I think) so I can see how some people do avoid media based on political leanings but it definitely does not affect their popularity

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Eustace posted:

You should have seen the shitstorm that was GATE.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
GATE was definitely pro-colonizing, JDF propaganda but drat if it wasn't fun watching a modern industrialized military blow away medieval fantasy army's and monsters.

Oh and the weird pedo stuff was :yikes:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I bet AoT wouldn't get nearly so much criticism if it wasn't massively popular. I can easily believe GATE is fasc just by skimming over the Wikipedia entry, but I've never heard anyone discussing it before, let alone calling it fasc.

Anyway, now that we have a between-episode lull, look at this weeb toy I own of Hange as an adorable raccoon. I bought it on my Japan trip because I thought it was funny to make such cutesy merchandise for a dark and violent show and because Hange is best character.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkDMz2ml0gw

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I have to say, I really loved this season, but I did feel a bit let down by the cliffhanger. Just ambiently I know theres more wtf stuff they could have paused on. And though I don't agree with Alan a lot I do feel like not having a teaser at the end of the ep for the next part was a bummer. Especially after the crazy rear end one we had for S3 end of part 1.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

See, I say correct stuff sometimes!

Edit: looking back on my posts, I wonder what you disagreed with? Not much to talk about inbetween. My sister read from the last episode to the end of the manga and wanted to talk about it, I rightfully told her to go gently caress herself. Got to be strong, like Floch.

I've been playing the game on Steam and it loving owns. It's so much fun, especially the relationships. I never ever thought of Petra or Orou, but getting to know them and buying a present for Levi, really sucks when they die. Buy the game!

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 11, 2021

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I, for one, appreciate your endless positivity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I've just finished rewatching all of the episodes through part 1 of the final season, without having ever read the Polygon article. Before this I had only seen the first two seasons and remembered liking them. I had a vague sense of the "this series glorifies fascism" argument and that it was based on some reveal that happens later, but I think political ideology (even horrifying political ideology) is a good enough reason to completely avoid a piece of media; at worst it helps you to better understand the thing that you want to fight against.

That said, from the jump it seems very clear to me that the series glorifies fascism, at least a little bit at first and then pretty strongly later on. It's something that's easily ignorable in season 1 because that's a lot of military training and titan fighting, but as the show goes on it that becomes harder to do. The series begins with "Our race (humanity) are besieged by an extremely powerful but incompetent enemy (titans)", a core tenet of fascist ideology. Sometimes aspects of this ideology are portrayed in a negative light (the military police). But by season 3 the survey corps (e.g. the army) are being glorified by the people and the goal of the series pivots to Lebensraum, and the protagonists accomplish that goal (yay Lebensraum!)

Then season 4 happens. The series shines a negative light on the antagonists, who are basically Nazi Germany, so there's that. The armbands are obviously not being portrayed as a good thing. These points are clearly very much opposed to fascism. But by the end of season 4 part 1 a bunch of characters are saying (paraphrased) "it would be really good if Eren could sterilize the entirety of our tainted race". This is complicated by the fact that the Jaegerists are also clearly antagonists, but then Armin, who has always been portrayed as a very empathetic and wise character, is literally moved to tears and calls this a noble goal. That's pretty hosed up!

Then I read the Polygon article. It's Polygon, so of course it's mostly crap. It raises accurate points about glorification of the military, which I agree with. Pointing out that it has people wearing armbands, which is obviously a dumb point of criticism since that's not being portrayed as a good thing. I did not realize that Pixis was based on a real-life general who had massacred a bunch of Koreans, so that sucks.

So I guess I agree that the Polygon article is lovely but "this glorifies fascism" is also a fair point of criticism. I don't think that's a good enough reason to avoid the series.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 12, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

iirc Polygon attributes warcrimes the Japanese army did on the general guy Pixis is based off of...That occured like after he left the army. It was pretty dishonest.

I don't think Armin was being sincere in that scene either. I think he was taking her for a ride to try to get out.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ibram Gaunt posted:

iirc Polygon attributes warcrimes the Japanese army did on the general guy Pixis is based off of...That occured like after he left the army. It was pretty dishonest.

After he died, no less.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think Armin was being sincere in that scene either. I think he was taking her for a ride to try to get out.

Which never ended up really paying off....

The thing I'm looking forward to now are the memes and especially the crossover memes with game of thrones

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Maybe; Armin's lied plenty of times before, so maybe this is one of those times. But it's not like they let him out of the cage after he said that, everyone just looks at each other and then whatsherface says "glad you agree!", then there's a scene transition. Since there'ss no followup we're kind of left thinking that Armin may believe that the genocide plan is cool and good. Maybe at the end of the day the genocide plan itself will turn out to be another ruse. That'd be good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Pixis stuff is probably the most dishonest part of the Polygon article. It names the general and then starts talking about a bunch of stuff that happened after he retired in a country he never served in.

I think it's very unlikely that the euthanasia plan is going to be presented as a good thing going forwards. Armin's reacting that way genuinely would be out of character, but doing it as a ruse to ingratiate himself to Yelena makes sense.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

No follow up? It was the last episode! Maybe give it a couple more episodes before saying "no follow up" Jesus Christ lol

Attack on Titan isn't fascist at all. This argument has been driven into the ground in this thread. You can't watch season 4 and think it's glorifying fascism in any way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

No follow up? It was the last episode! Maybe give it a couple more episodes before saying "no follow up" Jesus Christ lol

Attack on Titan isn't fascist at all. This argument has been driven into the ground in this thread. You can't watch season 4 and think it's glorifying fascism in any way

Edit: I got the colossal manga editions for my birthday and they are glorious. Huge thing I just noticed in the first chapter that's not in the anime and this is just my speculation, Eren's dream clearly has Mikasa from season 4 time saying goodbye to him ("see you later, Eren") so if there was any doubt it's all a ruse by Eren/they salvage their relationship