Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1381435131873828865?s=20

cops tear gassing protesters in suburban Minneapolis.

Biden's America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How. How does the loving cruising industry have this much pull in Washington.

Don't answer that. I'm sure they're a subsidiary of some Black Rock poo poo.

it is astounding how little money congresspeople can be swayed by

e: as long as it's coming from the already-wealthy, I mean

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1381435131873828865?s=20

cops tear gassing protesters in suburban Minneapolis.

Biden's America

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-white-house-puts-its-police-oversight-commission-on-ice/ar-BB1fxPiA?ocid=st

Biden White House puts its police oversight commission on ice

The White House is putting the creation of a national police oversight commission on hold, nixing a campaign pledge made by President Joe Biden to establish one within his first 100 days.

“Based on close, respectful consultation with partners in the civil rights community, the administration made the considered judgment that a police commission, at this time, would not be the most effective way to deliver on our top priority in this area, which is to sign the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act into law,” Susan Rice, director of the Domestic Policy Council, said in a statement to POLITICO.

Before coming to the decision, the White House said it consulted with national civil rights organizations and police unions. Both entities made clear to the administration that they thought a commission was not necessary and likely redundant.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

listen, uh just because biden promised to do this, it isn't breaking a campaign promise if after talking with police unions he decided it was a bad idea!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

its meaningless to say he "broke his promise" because really, how can you break words?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

listen, uh just because biden promised to do this, it isn't breaking a campaign promise if after talking with police unions he decided it was a bad idea!

biden's too much of a coward to take the canada lib route of "there's no law that says the prime minister has to enact his promises, gently caress you"

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i believe one of the recommendations from the NHS was that sticking your dick through a hole in a bathroom stall was a-ok for covid-protected sex

lol i forgot about this

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Bideo James posted:

stanning for the green m&m

Techincally, one simps for Ms. Green.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-white-house-puts-its-police-oversight-commission-on-ice/ar-BB1fxPiA?ocid=st

Biden White House puts its police oversight commission on ice

The White House is putting the creation of a national police oversight commission on hold, nixing a campaign pledge made by President Joe Biden to establish one within his first 100 days.

“Based on close, respectful consultation with partners in the civil rights community, the administration made the considered judgment that a police commission, at this time, would not be the most effective way to deliver on our top priority in this area, which is to sign the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act into law,” Susan Rice, director of the Domestic Policy Council, said in a statement to POLITICO.

Before coming to the decision, the White House said it consulted with national civil rights organizations and police unions. Both entities made clear to the administration that they thought a commission was not necessary and likely redundant.

the george floyd act, finally chokeholds will be illegal and cops will get anti-bias training. his name has been honored

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Dixon Chisholm posted:

People are more concerned about cum town than come on man

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

edit: dang beat

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

quote:

Since his days on the campaign trail, President Biden has tried to cast himself as diametrically opposed to President Donald Trump when it comes to welcoming refugees into the United States.

Within two weeks of taking office, Biden signed an executive order to rebuild and enhance federal programs to resettle refugees — programs he said had been “badly damaged” under the Trump administration. Biden also revoked some restrictive immigration policies Trump had put in place, including ones that sought to ban refugees from certain countries. In February, Biden announced he was raising the annual cap on refugee admissions to 125,000 for the fiscal year that starts Oct. 1, up from Trump’s historically low limit of 15,000.

However, Biden has yet to do one thing that would make all of those changes official: sign what is known as a presidential determination. Without that action, Trump’s old policies and his 15,000-person cap on refugee settlements remain in effect.

Signing a presidential determination typically takes place almost immediately after such policy announcements. The delay has so far lasted eight weeks.

Because of it, Biden is on track to accept the fewest refugees this year of any modern president, including Trump, according to a report released Friday from the International Rescue Committee, a nonprofit humanitarian aid group.

The Biden administration has admitted only 2,050 refugees at the halfway point of this fiscal year, despite Biden’s promises to reverse Trump-era immigration policies, dramatically raise the cap on refugee settlements and respond to what his officials have called “unforeseen and urgent situations,” the IRC report noted.

The group estimated that, at the current pace and without the reversal of Trump-era policies, the Biden administration will admit only about 4,510 refugees into the United States this fiscal year, less than half of the figure admitted in Trump’s final year.

“I don’t know the specific reason why [Biden] hasn’t signed, and it’s really unusual that he hasn’t signed,” said Nazanin Ash, the IRC’s vice president for global policy and advocacy. “It is typically a standard, automatic last step in the process.”

A State Department representative on Sunday referred all questions about the presidential determination on refugee admissions to the White House. The White House did not respond to requests for comment.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

yang wasn't that bad, crazy, but he got UBI into the talking points

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Fauci ignoring another pandemic!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

MysteriousStranger posted:

Like Castro and Williamson got slavery reparations into the talking points; Which is to say, used to undercut Sanders's message and then immediately forgotten about as soon as he became irrelevant

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

MysteriousStranger posted:

how fast will he abandon ubi if he wins

Wildstrike
Apr 8, 2007

I will gladly pay you my soul Tuesday, for a glut to the longing of my heart's desire today...
https://twitter.com/heenasharma_/status/1380983920649515011

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/Defenders/status/1364424848466989064

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

a very cursed virtual event

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Lea Salonga earned the ire of some online Filipinos who recall the Marcos-led Martial Law period when she praised the former ruling family for its perceived patronage of the arts.

However, her remarks on social media were made two years ago. Screenshots of the comments thread were recently posted on Reddit Philippines, where it eventually caught the public’s attention.

A Facebook user asked, “What is your stand on the Marcoses, Lea Salonga?”

The Broadway singer replied, “They have always been kind to me and my family.”

Salonga continued in the thread, “There were many artists that Mrs. Marcos patronized (Cecile Licad was one of them), sent abroad for their education. No one does that anymore.”

She also replied that as a budding artist, she “sang a lot in the Palace for foreign guests” when she was a young singer of aged 10 to 14.

“I probably wouldn’t have ever dreamed I could make it as a performer abroad. I can’t ever look back upon it with regret. If nothing else, every presentation showed how beautiful our fashions were, and how talented our artists were.”

Salonga recalled that back then, Filipino artists were called on to perform at the presidential palace.

Twitter user @erwinagapay recalled that Salonga was one of the local artists who supported Ferdinand Marcos in the 1986 snap elections.

A group of artists called the “Coalition of Writers and Artists for Freedom and Democracy” pledged their support for the Marcos patriarch who they believed upheld cultural advancement.

The user linked a snapshot of a newspaper ad that showed the group’s statement and with it, the names of the members.

Some of them include Virgilio Almario, Nora Aunor, Gina Pareño, Fernando Poe Jr., Rico Puno, Susan Roces, Yoyoy Villame and Leah Salonga.

“Leah Salonga” might be misspelled but no other local artist in the country exists with the same name. The singer’s previous statements on Twitter reinforced her showing of public support.

The group’s statement backing Marcos was reported on Bulletin Today dated Jan. 28, 1986.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Krumhunger1/status/1381240226375376898

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

the george floyd act, finally chokeholds will be illegal and cops will get anti-bias training. his name has been honored

lol

chokeholds being DOUBLE super illegal like some kind of animal house probation

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/FeministaJones/status/1381471922551148545?s=19

the marxism understander has logged on

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

the extent of liz Warren being Indian was checking the box on applications and selling a lovely cook book.

whatliberalsactuallybelieve.txt

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

All those laws against shooting people are working pretty well.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

All those laws against shooting people are working pretty well.

if you make chokeholds illegal only criminals will choke people to death

hey wait...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/verybigpiss/status/1381482254690525189?s=19

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

note: it only makes using a chokehold a crime if you deprive someone’s rights with it

But the bill does contain extra money for police departments that ban using chokeholds!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

he's really busy okay

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

note: it only makes using a chokehold a crime if you deprive someone’s rights with it

But the bill does contain extra money for police departments that ban using chokeholds!

There's a loophole here that allows you to get the money and still choke people to death let's see if the cops can figure it out!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/FeministaJones/status/1381472437389438981?s=19

....do I just not understand what sociology is, or

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1381480395879944198?s=19

Incredible to me that OP has a blue check and getfiscal does not

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

How about Karl Mar X

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

https://twitter.com/meowmeowmia/status/1381479864902029314?s=20

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Blindishly: Where?!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Salean posted:

How about Karl Mar X

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

dems' 4d chess losing to gop's hopscotch

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lol how long has :champ: been a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

why does it feel like hot takes about black leftists always come from someone with some even hotter takes about jews lol