Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I liked them as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Spookydonut posted:

I wonder why they moved away from the large prefab wall pieces.

It's more that they stopped making castles. Large single pieces like that still turn up, especially for towers and corners (look at a lot of the Hogwarts sets).

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think I get both sides the argument. Like yes, a raised base plate does remove some constructive creativity. However, some of the best sets used raised base plates to masterful usage. Like a sort of typical explanation of this is my previously mentioned Royal Knights Castle:

Look at how those slanted columns hug the base plate! It's great and I love it.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Imperial Trading Post, Ice Station Odyssey, Black Knights Castle and Lunar Launch Site all used the same baseplate (along with countless others) but to varying degrees of creativity and effect. The castles were usually the best at making use of the terrain, especially the recessed part in the middle which makes a perfect dungeon.

The original castles used flat baseplates, they could go back to that- though the standard of detail now is a lot higher so I’m sure the increased piece count would make it cost prohibitive if it’s going to be a convincing quality set.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I think raised baseplates get an unfair rep. You can do some amazing things with them, it just requires a bit of creativity.

Aliencat!'s Flickr

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Reminder that Lego has PDF uploads of all their instructions on their site,

Nope, not at all. Lego's own site is great for recent sets, but spotty at best for sets older than about ten years, and completely useless for sets older than about 20 years (which is what most of the recent discussion has been about). No idea why that is, since you'd expect Lego to still have copies of all their old instructions, and it wouldn't be a huge job to scan and upload them.

It's easy to find instructions for old sets online, but most are the same lovely jpg scans from 20+ years ago that have been circulating since then. Some hi-res versions would definitely be appreciated.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Yeah, before a certain point they’re only available unofficially (and they’ve never been print-friendly)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's apparently precisely one person that scanned them all too because some of the ones I've looked up all had the same scan errors.. even the copy on lego's site.

Though at some point they redid their instructions interface and they have nothing from before 1996. But set 6970 used to be in there and it was the exact same pixelated crappy looking copy you can get everywhere else.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Nope, not at all. Lego's own site is great for recent sets, but spotty at best for sets older than about ten years, and completely useless for sets older than about 20 years (which is what most of the recent discussion has been about). No idea why that is, since you'd expect Lego to still have copies of all their old instructions, and it wouldn't be a huge job to scan and upload them.

It's easy to find instructions for old sets online, but most are the same lovely jpg scans from 20+ years ago that have been circulating since then. Some hi-res versions would definitely be appreciated.
This kinda baffles me, too. They have money now, if they even have just hard copies of old instructions, just hire a couple of people to scan them in. I doubt they'll have electronic versions of most of the pre-2010 stuff, but, like, throw is a bone eh?

So many of the instructions I have for the 70s and 80s sets are like 300px wide lol

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, there are no promos at all running on the Lego Store right now. The Easter stuff is all done and there’s a Dots promo at the end of the month and that’s it. I guess May will have May 4th promos but that will only apply to Star Wars sets.

I know quality varies but the promos always make the $200 purchases like the Space Shuttle a little less painful.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I mean, I'd like high quality scans of legacy instructions as well but if Lego doesn't see a profit in it, it won't happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not about profits, they've wanted to do it for years but the meetings to decide who gets to open the lone copy of every set they keep in the vault have been dragging on for 15 years.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

It's not about profits, they've wanted to do it for years but the meetings to decide who gets to open the lone copy of every set they keep in the vault have been dragging on for 15 years.

i selflessly volunteer

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

smackfu posted:

Wow, there are no promos at all running on the Lego Store right now. The Easter stuff is all done and there’s a Dots promo at the end of the month and that’s it. I guess May will have May 4th promos but that will only apply to Star Wars sets.

I know quality varies but the promos always make the $200 purchases like the Space Shuttle a little less painful.

German store has double points from 12/04 until idk when, a week? I’m stumped what to get tho, maybe some of the helmets and the droid but I’m not sure the points will be double for that if they don’t ship immediately

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Points should double for any purchase even a backorder. But the store has been a poo poo show as of late so it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't work and you had to contact customer service.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of the PDFs; I've been using them for recent builds since I don't have a lot of desk space since I build at my computer - so I'll put the instructions on one screen and the show/youtube thing I have on in the background on the other. It works quite nicely, but I feel oddly guilty not using the printed instructions, and in a small way, it loses something.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

smackfu posted:

Rumor in the rumorsphere says double VIP points starting on the 12th. Maybe wait a couple days and see?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

Rumor in the rumorsphere says double VIP points starting on the 12th. Maybe wait a couple days and see?

Does the rumorsphere have anything to say about the Ulysses VIP Reward?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

Does the rumorsphere have anything to say about the Ulysses VIP Reward?

Not that I've seen.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I’ve been slowly completing the Medieval Blacksmith, and all I can say is that I desperately want a full Castle line in this style. It’s wonderfully detailed without being over the top, has some great building techniques, and isn’t too large. Give me a castle, stables, an inn, a farmhouse, and a few small vehicle/vignette sets. I will buy them all immediately.

Come on, Lego. My wallet is ready.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
In a similar vein, I want western stuff.

The western buildings still look really good. I guess they work out well because of the simpler old style. But nowadays, 18+ western sets would kick rear end.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Both Western and non-military Castle themes seem criminally under-served currently.

The 3739 Blacksmith Shop has always been a bit of a white whale for me, since I first seen it when it was introduced officially. I never knew the "Fantasy" theme 10193 Medieval Market Village was a thing until recently, but it seemed to have really picked up where the Blacksmith Shop left off.

And for newer Western stuff, you don't have to leave this thread to see the possibilities, with Carbohydrates doing masterful builds that totally play the part. Been enjoying them designing a gun store and undertaker lately.

I feel like Lego could make bank on these themes. But Lego also seems like the sort of company to look at market thirst and go "Meh, nah."

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I just got an email from bricklink letting me know that I won the "guess the price" contest from the original afol design competition in 2019 for the science tower. So that's cool I guess. Not exactly a quick turn around on that contest.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I've been seeing ads for this! I wonder if the brick pit format will be changed to be in line with social distancing protocols...

https://twitter.com/arnettwill/status/1380343789991043073

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Most of these shows are just doing a bubble with the cast and crew. The total filming schedule probably is shorter than you would think.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

AllisonByProxy posted:

I've been seeing ads for this! I wonder if the brick pit format will be changed to be in line with social distancing protocols...

https://twitter.com/arnettwill/status/1380343789991043073

Can't wait! We just need to find a way to sneak Carbohydrates on.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

PowerBeard posted:

Can't wait! We just need to find a way to sneak Carbohydrates on.

They know his and Bun's faces. Y'all need some ZZ-Top fake beards.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
We enjoyed watching season 1 just recently and wanted more. Did anyone bother downloading the uk or australian versions? Are they worthwhile?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

davebo posted:

We enjoyed watching season 1 just recently and wanted more. Did anyone bother downloading the uk or australian versions? Are they worthwhile?

Australian seasons are great. The UK seasons are very rough and it feels like there was no budget at all put into it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

PowerBeard posted:

Australian seasons are great. The UK seasons are very rough and it feels like there was no budget at all put into it.

So instead of Will Arnett did they get David Cross in character as Tobias or something?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

S3 of the Australian one is starting soon too.

Best version :australia:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

This is the show Hamish Blake was born for. Australian version has been great, nothing but likeable people (Kale aside) making cool LEGO things while Hamish banters with them.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Kale isn't that bad, he's just got strong sleezeball / magic performer energy going on.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kale has been seen in ads for S3.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I prefer chard.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Double points is active in the UK!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Kale has been seen in ads for S3.

Yeah I wasn't keen.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’ve been slowly completing the Medieval Blacksmith, and all I can say is that I desperately want a full Castle line in this style. It’s wonderfully detailed without being over the top, has some great building techniques, and isn’t too large. Give me a castle, stables, an inn, a farmhouse, and a few small vehicle/vignette sets. I will buy them all immediately.

Come on, Lego. My wallet is ready.

You might get what you are looking for. A medieval marketplace just hit 10k on Ideas.
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/71efca0f-11ae-4695-8139-2825c891770b

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lego really just needs to do an adult targeted medieval line in general. I think it would sell really well, just do a set or two a year at around the modular price point. AFOLs would hoover that poo poo up.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I watched a lot of LEGO Masters all over the world to learn poo poo in case we made it and, yeah, Australian is the best. Show structure and build quality both.

edit: this guy is gonna make a fortune and he deserves it. What an amazing complement to the blacksmith set.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Carbohydrates posted:

I watched a lot of LEGO Masters all over the world to learn poo poo in case we made it and, yeah, Australian is the best. Show structure and build quality both.

edit: this guy is gonna make a fortune and he deserves it. What an amazing complement to the blacksmith set.

How do they do those cobblestone walls