Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
wmotyc: roman vs dbry vs edge. was good until it just ended both abruptly and badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

HM: Daniel Bryan vs Edge vs Roman Reigns, WWE Wrestlemania Night 2, 4/11/21

I mean it was a good match but loving hell let a face win more than once in a night.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Testekill posted:

HM: Daniel Bryan vs Edge vs Roman Reigns, WWE Wrestlemania Night 2, 4/11/21

very good match, lotta fun stuff, i thought the ending was perfectly fine so no problems there but the pacing was a bit too uneven for it to hit motyc for me, plus triple threats just are a bad loving match format

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I won't nominate Asuka/Rhea as a WMOTYC but it was drat near close to one.

Otherwise I nth all of the other WMOTYCs from tonight's WM outside of Bryan/Edge/Reigns. Very bold of WWE to bring back Sunday Night Heat.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Night 1 was good, however:

WMOTYC: Night 2, with the exception of Sheamus/Riddle and that's only because Riddle's mouth got split open.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

KungFu Grip posted:

HM
Rickey Shane Page vs. Nick Gage
GCW presents rSpring Break April 9th 2021

nth on this one. They pay off nearly 2 years worth of 44OH running rampant in a most satisfying style.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm not going to go through a card to work out what people's nominations actually are. If you want to nominate a match, say what the match is. Thanks.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Benne posted:

WMOTYC: Randy Orton vs. The Fiend, WrestleMania NIght 2

Every bit as embarrassing as you were expecting

I have now seen this match and boy howdy I endorse this nomination

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not going to go through a card to work out what people's nominations actually are. If you want to nominate a match, say what the match is. Thanks.

another scheme to get jru to pay attention to wwe falls flat on its face

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Jerusalem posted:

Fair enough!

WMOTYC: Randy Orton vs Fiend - Wrestlemania Night 2
WMOTYC: Natalya/Tamina vs Shayna Baszler/Nia Jax - Wrestlemania Night 2
WMOTYC: Big E vs Apollo Crews - Wrestlemania Night 2
WMOTYC: Asuka vs Rhea Ripley - Wrestlemania Night 2
WMOTYC: Daniel Bryan vs Edge vs Roman Reigns - Wrestlemania Night 2

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Armitage posted:

WMOTYC: Big E vs Apollo Crews - Wrestlemania Night 2
WMOTYC: Asuka vs Rhea Ripley - Wrestlemania Night 2
WMOTYC: Daniel Bryan vs Edge vs Roman Reigns - Wrestlemania Night 2

nth

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

HM: Daniel Bryan vs Edge vs Roman Reigns - Wrestlemania Night 2

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Pinche Rudo posted:

WMOTYC - Sheamus vs. Riddle - WrestleMania 37 Night 2 - 4-11-21

Ugly botchfest with Sheamus hilariously stiffing the poo poo out of Riddle.

Okay but as a counterpoint, Sheamus stiffed the poo poo out of Riddle. That should save it from a WMOTYC

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
if i'm reading this thread correctly Night 1 is a front run contender for Show of the Year and night 2 is the far and away leader for Worst Show of the Year

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Armitage posted:

Fair enough!

I can only go WMOTYC on these two but I understand the frustration at every other match

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

HM: Baliyan Akki vs Chie Koishikawa ChocoPro 4/11/21

This was a straightforward, good technical match and there was one point where they were trading counters and it was mesmerizing.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lid posted:

if i'm reading this thread correctly Night 1 is a front run contender for Show of the Year and night 2 is the far and away leader for Worst Show of the Year

Night 1 is on the table, but night two absolutely is going to be a runaway winner unless something loving egregious happens this year

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Going by this thread Night 1 is going to have 1 WMOTYC, 1 HM and 1 MOTYC making it worse than most Dynamites.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

This was a straightforward, good technical match and there was one point where they were trading counters and it was mesmerizing.

nth

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I think Dynamites match reactions are overrated and people are too liberal with hm's and even moty's. Theres good matches but this thread reacts to every Dynamite like its a NJPW PPV so irs a quantity v quality argument scale.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
personally i think people enjoy matches

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lid posted:

I think Dynamites match reactions are overrated and people are too liberal with hm's and even moty's. Theres good matches but this thread reacts to every Dynamite like its a NJPW PPV so irs a quantity v quality argument scale.

The promotion makes me feel good things so it's easier for decent matches to get a good emotional reaction out of me, which is my threshold for an HM. This is a weird thing to complain about.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

i think you overrate your own posts

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

If you think this thread improperly rates matches it is unwise to judge whether or not Wrestlemania Night 1 was the event of the year based on how this thread reads.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

gonna need everyone to post rules and guidelines for their own star systems before they're allowed to nominate anything going forward

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lid posted:

I don't watch New Japan anymore, and I've given newLegacy streams on average as many positive match nominations as AEW this year :shrug: I like what I like and I hate what I hate

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lid posted:

l m a o

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I agree with the idea that the thread is way too liberal with MOTYCs but I disagree with the idea that it matters

e: that said if people raised their standards for both MTOYCs and HMs it'd be a lot easier to find recommendations for smaller promotions amid the flood of "MOTYC: Luchasaurus vs Dr. Luther"

TTBF fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 12, 2021

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I decided a while back I'm going to start toning down the amount of matches I nominate. Most of them don't hold up on further reflection anyway. Also, it kind of sucks for the people who nominate matches from these lesser-watched promotions. They could have watched the greatest match ever but it just gets absolutely blown out of the water in nominations by some Matt Sydal match on Elevation. Of course no hard feelings towards anyone who likes to nominate lots of things on Dynamite though. This is just my perspective on it

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Crapple! posted:

I decided a while back I'm going to start toning down the amount of matches I nominate. Most of them don't hold up on further reflection anyway. Also, it kind of sucks for the people who nominate matches from these lesser-watched promotions. They could have watched the greatest match ever but it just gets absolutely blown out of the water in nominations by some Matt Sydal match on Elevation. Of course no hard feelings towards anyone who likes to nominate lots of things on Dynamite though. This is just my perspective on it

matt sydal currently has zero nominated matches from elevation

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crapple! posted:

you can just say forkboy, it's okay, he knows

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the thing with nominating poo poo is that it's by consensus

one person going 'wow, i really enjoyed that, like, a lot' and giving it a shoutout in the thread isn't a bad thing. at worst nobody else will respond to it and at best other people will weigh in and either agree or toss it a HM. at the very least it's a little flag in the thread by someone saying 'if you somehow ran out of wrestling to watch, here's a match i thought was good'

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

MOTYC: Match you'd watch again, easily. Love.

HM: Match you'd watch again if someone brought it up. Like.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So what I'm getting here is that Wrestlemania was a land of contrasts

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The bloc of us voting up ChocoPro and TJPW matches are doing so because they are loving rad and you should watch ChocoPro and TJPW

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think what i would very much like is if you're posting about a match that isn't from the main three companies that get posted about (wwe, aew, njpw) AND it's available for people to just go watch for free, you should post a link to it. i personally get really wrestled out with what i already watch, so i'm out of touch with what promotions people are highlighting are available like that

it's kind of like how the (unfortunately real quiet) what year+ old matches are you watching thread was something i was excited for to see people post a lot of cool poo poo that people had slept on

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Alaois posted:

i think you overrate your own posts

:shrug:

Crapple! posted:

This is close to my take. I guess it's a differing philosophy of what this thread is for, everyone just listing poo poo or like a list for people who may not watch these events to go back and see them and be "these are classics". Guess it's because I started seeing these from the MMA side and in there Fight of the Year's and Honourable Fight of the Years are much rarer and are things "you have to see this poo poo".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'd maybe argue there are far fewer ways for an mma fight to be interesting than a wrestling match, at the very least in terms of spectacle (edit: spectacle that isn't 'these two people might literally kill each other')

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Neodoomium posted:

The bloc of us voting up ChocoPro and TJPW matches are doing so because they are loving rad and you should watch ChocoPro and TJPW

Yeah! That said,

TV Zombie posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

flatluigi posted:

i think what i would very much like is if you're posting about a match that isn't from the main three companies that get posted about (wwe, aew, njpw) AND it's available for people to just go watch for free, you should post a link to it. i personally get really wrestled out with what i already watch, so i'm out of touch with what promotions people are highlighting are available like that

:agreed:

although I know I have a hell of a backlog of stuff to catch up with that's posted here already fulfilling that criteria like ChocoPro :negative: