Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lol, no one wants Australian dashcams without the swears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Takes No Damage posted:

:australia:

Head on over to Texas, where we drive like that even at 2mph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdH3i9OiQuU

First clip: admittedly a 5-way intersection is a little awkward, but even so you gotta know which light is yours before you just head off into the wild blue yonder...

2nd clip: ladderbro did have the right of way, but the road splits in like 100ft so people heading South do need to get over. I'd classify this as two dicks being dicks to each other :flaccid: :flaccid:

I know, I'll get out of my car to fight the guy who's still in his. This cannot backfire in any way.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

I know, I'll get out of my car to fight the guy who's still in his. This cannot backfire in any way.

Heh I didn't even notice the SUV's door opened for a second, though just to educate the truck on proper Zipper Merge etiquette I'm sure :monocle:

However, sometimes getting out of your car means you win! The term 'win' is subjective and you're still a salty little pissboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-0Def8xAc

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Heh I didn't even notice the SUV's door opened for a second, though just to educate the truck on proper Zipper Merge etiquette I'm sure :monocle:

I don’t think that’s a zipper merge. Zipper merge is two lanes into one, alternating L-R-L-R. This is two lanes going two different directions, and that’s just someone cutting in at the last minute, unless there is something I don’t see.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
True, but when both lanes are completely stacked up like that I'll generally follow alternating Zipper protocol. Just driving nice where everybody gets a turn :kiddo:

They aren't really cutting in at the last minute, there's only a few hundred feet where the 2 lanes meet and they can get over, it's basically a double on ramp that determines if you're going North or South. That whole intersection is a cluster because the E/W road used to be a toll road, so they built these dumbass clover loops into it to put the toll booths in, as it was before FastPass style wireless tolls.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Takes No Damage posted:

True, but when both lanes are completely stacked up like that I'll generally follow alternating Zipper protocol. Just driving nice where everybody gets a turn :kiddo:

Exactly, and if someone really wants to skip a 'tooth' and merge ahead of you, just let them have their fun.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if someone zooms past a line of cars and tries to cut in I'm certainly not making room for them, but I'm also not going to get aggro about it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if someone zooms past a line of cars and tries to cut in I'm certainly not making room for them, but I'm also not going to get aggro about it

Oh yeah 100% gently caress line jumpers :argh:, just pointing out that this isn't really what's happening in this particular case as this is just 2 lanes getting a brief merge window before splitting off again.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Same though I usually travel with a car lengths of room or two as a buffer so it always happens.
Whatever, its gonna happen, know that, and don't get involved with them. Not worth the several years of effort into a ride for someone that's already having a bad day, clearly taking it out on the road, and are likely underwater on their vehicle.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Hahhahaha, every idiot lost badly, perfect.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Passed a fellow journeyman hubcap bro today, felt good, might delete later.

https://i.imgur.com/qtnzfvZ.mp4

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
New dashcam Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNdieBantCE

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Rogue behavior from a Nissan Rogue

https://i.imgur.com/Fu5N8K3.mp4

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

At least one person and one or more horses gets seriously hosed up/killed in this video so uh, click with caution. The entire compilation is way more brutal than usual.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Godzilla07 posted:

Rogue behavior from a Nissan Rogue

https://i.imgur.com/Fu5N8K3.mp4

It's always a Rogue. Something about that car attracts the biggest shitheads.

(I've heard that it's the absolute cheapest SUV-styled car you can get in the USA, which would explain it pretty well)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sirotan posted:

At least one person and one or more horses gets seriously hosed up/killed in this video so uh, click with caution. The entire compilation is way more brutal than usual.

I think it’s bad but not the worse I’ve seen, we have yet to reach no prisoners level. Also do people check their tires in AUS? It’s always spin/slide time if the road get a single drop on it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sirotan posted:

The monthly collection is usually harmless, but their generic crash compilations like this one often have harsher stuff.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SlowBloke posted:

I think it’s bad but not the worse I’ve seen, we have yet to reach no prisoners level. Also do people check their tires in AUS? It’s always spin/slide time if the road get a single drop on it.

If it is a P Plater (young driver) in a Falcon or Commodore, the rear tyres are usually bald due to burnouts

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

Also do people check their tires in AUS? It’s always spin/slide time if the road get a single drop on it.

I don't think the majority do - at least, not until mid-winter, when they've already experienced and/or witnessed a healthy dose of water-related collisions. :D
We're just starting to come into colder/wetter weather where I am, too - so I'm expecting to see a fair few people sliding around, in the coming weeks/months...

Also far out, I think I remember seeing the aftermath of the crash that happened at around 1:15 in that dashcam Aus vid - that's right nearby where I've been working onsite lately. Typical Port Adelaide people! haha

EDIT: Oh wow, the woman at 12:40 - "I'm not really stressed about anything..." (gets into a minor crash) Welp, now you certainly are! Great timing :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 12, 2021

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

It's always a Rogue. Something about that car attracts the biggest shitheads.

(I've heard that it's the absolute cheapest SUV-styled car you can get in the USA, which would explain it pretty well)
There is a Mitsubishi that costs less. But Nissan and Mitsubishi cater to people who wouldn't get financing anywhere else, people who make bad financial and life decisions to begin with. Unsurprisingly, they're not the most courteous drivers

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It was a bit cruel of the mother to put her daughter's car accident at the petrol station into the video.

Laughed at the blue Commodore owner getting his just desserts for brake checking what looks like a truck.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

The monthly collection is usually harmless, but their generic crash compilations like this one often have harsher stuff.

Oh wow, no kidding. Based on the usual compilations that get posted, I thought no actual collisions take place in Australia, just a lot of swearing.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

So many stupid mistakes in this one. More than usual. The "I'm not really stressed about anything" girl doing a hard brake for a yellow that turns red is why we are taught to just run the yellow in driving school here in Sweden. If you can't slow down safely, you should run it. Obivously if she wasn't on the phone and paid attention she'd be stopping for it in time as there was plenty of warning. I guess she's stressed now.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

MrOnBicycle posted:

So many stupid mistakes in this one. More than usual. The "I'm not really stressed about anything" girl doing a hard brake for a yellow that turns red is why we are taught to just run the yellow in driving school here in Sweden. If you can't slow down safely, you should run it. Obivously if she wasn't on the phone and paid attention she'd be stopping for it in time as there was plenty of warning. I guess she's stressed now.

lmao imagine thinking rear ending someone is the other person's fault

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In Canada we are taught that if you can't slow down safely for the yellow light, you were driving too fast. You will fail your driving test for entering the intersection while the light is yellow, even if the light turns yellow 0.2 seconds before you cross the line. If it turns yellow after you're in, that's okay, but if you aren't out of it by the time the light turns red, say on a left turn where all the oncoming traffic are all being assholes, you also fail.

It's stupid.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OMGVBFLOL posted:

^This. I mean, sure she hit the brakes a bit hard. But you know what? The other guy should've been further behind - they've only got themselves to blame, on that.
I mean really, they should've been keeping an eye out for what's beyond the rear bumper of Not-Stressed-Girl's car and noticed that the light was amber and then slowed down themselves, regardless of how fast NSG was going.

Sagebrush posted:

In Canada we are taught that if you can't slow down safely for the yellow light, you were driving too fast. You will fail your driving test for entering the intersection while the light is yellow, even if the light turns yellow 0.2 seconds before you cross the line. If it turns yellow after you're in, that's okay, but if you aren't out of it by the time the light turns red, you also fail.

It's stupid.

So...what's the point of even having an amber light, then? :confused: That's bizarre!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Obviously the point is to give people who are already in the intersection a chance to clear out before it turns red and it becomes illegal for them to be there.

I asked my driving instructor "how are you supposed to tell when it's about to turn yellow? Isn't that the whole point of the yellow light, so that you stop if you can but aren't running a red if you can't?" and they said, swear to god, that you're supposed to look at the pedestrian signal for the crossing street and/or count the number of cars stacked up waiting and infer whether it's a fresh or stale green, and be ready to stop for the yellow accordingly.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Driving law is provincial, and driver's test driving isn't everyday driving; those sticklers will fail you for all sorts of stuff that wouldn't be a traffic stop no matter what colour you arethe light is.

In Ontario, the yellow light means it's about to turn red, so you have to stop unless doing that would be stupid; red means "Absolutely stop and stay there".

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

idk about canada but in the US if you're waiting in an intersection to make an unprotected left it's explicitly legal for you to wait for oncoming traffic to stop before turning, even if the light turns red and you're still there because bozos are racing the yellow

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

OMGVBFLOL posted:

idk about canada but in the US if you're waiting in an intersection to make an unprotected left it's explicitly legal for you to wait for oncoming traffic to stop before turning, even if the light turns red and you're still there because bozos are racing the yellow

Depends on your state. It's definitely one of those "technically it's illegal but nobody cares" things in some states.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I don't know if it's spelled out in the law like that, but that's how I've always done left turns: sit as far out in the intersection that you can without blocking oncoming, that way worst case their light will go red and eventually (hopefully) they'll stop driving through letting at least one car make the turn.

From AusCam 27, I'm the guy at 8:00 making a run from the Sexy WorldTM adult stores :pervert:

edit:
Also at 8:50 I reeeeeeeeeeally hope the dashcam owner gave their clip to the owner of that hit and run, nice clear picture of the douchebag's plate in that one :police:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 13, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^^Yeah the hit and runs are infuriating. Especially the dumbasses with the big rear end bullbars with 0 spatial awareness.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

They are both bad at driving. Neither were paying attention.There is another example later in the video of a van slamming on the brakes as the light turns. Again a case of both being bad at paying attention, but if they had just carried on there would be no accident.
Just saying that it's what we were/are taught in driving ed precicely because of situations like this. We don't have red light cameras or incentives for the local police to get money from tickets. Yellows are generous here and if you are about to pass it, there is plenty of time to get through the intersection before it turns red (and even more time before it gets green for the crossing traffic). Everything to minimize accidents.

Sagebrush posted:

... that you're supposed to look at the pedestrian signal for the crossing street and/or count the number of cars stacked up waiting and infer whether it's a fresh or stale green, and be ready to stop for the yellow accordingly.

I actually do this when I drive, but I think it's kinda unreasonable to have that kind of requirement on a drivers test.

VVV: 100% agree.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 13, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sure, it's something you automatically learn to do over the years if you're a good driver. I do think it's dumb to expect 17 year olds to do it though. Spend the time practicing "can I stop safely for this light or do I have to go through?" instead.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Looking at the pedestrian signal is good (I do this), but you have to know the intersection. Different intersections are different and are signaled differently. Not trying to be snarky, but pedestrian signals are obviously not meant for cars, so I find it a little incredible that a driving test would tell you to use them. It’s just another source of information, like if the intersection isn’t clear, you shouldn’t enter it, even if the light is green!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3WtvzmKCQQ&t=59s

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
One issue is that here, the duration of amber seems to differ based on the street's speed limit. Which makes sense of course, to give a bigger margin at higher travel speeds. But it can make it more difficult to estimate how much time you actually have, so I sometimes find myself hitting the brakes and coming to a stop before the light turns red. Meaning that I could've easily safely crossed the intersection at the original speed.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Godholio posted:

Depends on your state. It's definitely one of those "technically it's illegal but nobody cares" things in some states.

thats true, traffic laws are state by state, i should have specified CA

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

They are both bad at driving. Neither were paying attention.There is another example later in the video of a van slamming on the brakes as the light turns. Again a case of both being bad at paying attention, but if they had just carried on there would be no accident.

most collisions involve some level of mutual contribution, but that doesn't mean the dude doing the rear ending wasn't more at fault. paying attention to the person in front of you and following at a safe distance is your responsibility. paying attention to the person behind you is, largely, not.

e: also getting rear ended is virtually always safer for all involved than a cross-traffic collision, so even if she wasn't paying attention, realized it was yellow and didn't know how stale it was and in the moment decided to stop, she made the right call

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 14, 2021

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Wait so why isn't the hay truck even attempting to gear down/slow down and just barreling full speed toward his red light? He's got no indication its about to change.

Also how the hell does a fully-loaded truck brake check a car like that... I get that landyachts were big & brakes sucked then, but jeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

NoWake posted:

Wait so why isn't the hay truck even attempting to gear down/slow down and just barreling full speed toward his red light? He's got no indication its about to change.

Also how the hell does a fully-loaded truck brake check a car like that... I get that landyachts were big & brakes sucked then, but jeesh.

Truck's light is green too :iiam: