Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gorn Myson posted:

New TrueAnon is a conversation with Michael Judge about the new Adam Curtis.

Should be fun.
HELL YES :toot:

m.s.j loving owns and i want him to go on trueanon more. i saw him ripping on adam curtis on twitter for the last week and was wondering what was up with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

HELL YES :toot:

m.s.j loving owns and i want him to go on trueanon more. i saw him ripping on adam curtis on twitter for the last week and was wondering what was up with that.

What's his issue with curtis? I'm not on twitter

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Isn't Mike Judge a Republican?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
different Mike judge I believe

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
now i'm picturing Hank Hill talking about Adam Curtis.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Holy poo poo the trueanon intro this week is perfect

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

Philosophy Tube is such a piece of poo poo holy poo poo.

What happened

E. Nevermind it's weird terf poo poo

Deified Data has issued a correction as of 05:41 on Apr 12, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

now i'm picturing Hank Hill talking about Adam Curtis.

do ah look like ah know what a neoliberal media dialectic is??

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shipon posted:

i don't see the episode on epstein feed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

some plague rats posted:

What's his issue with curtis? I'm not on twitter
It's really not that interesting to post, but just saying he sucks and is boring as hell and that curtis is a self-admitted neocon. https://twitter.com/corpseinorbit/status/1375340411095552005

the trueanon episode goes into it more with actual depth. as they said, curtis is the dying DMT vision of someone who has read and memorized every newsweek cover, and that's the only reading material they ever had. a large quilt someone bought on ebay stitched together from every newsweek cover. a naive idiot who takes everyone at their word.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:16 on Apr 12, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that's really coming out swinging when all the other lefty pods seemed to need to have the curtis guy on

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that's really coming out swinging when all the other lefty pods seemed to need to have the curtis guy on
someone had to do it. i honestly only watched the first two episodes of his docu-essay thing, and not really familiar with much of his previous work. i think he has access to some v nice footage that he's reasonably decent at putting together, but msj and liz are right.

also larry is right (free larry ffs)

Larry Parrish posted:

it's because adam curtis is for liberals who feel bad about being supportive of the brutality inherent in our society, and not leftists op

I had got distracted and didn't finish the chapo curtis episode, but it felt like a whole lot of nothing of actual substance (mlmp). what else did he go on?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
hypernormalization was tight but this one bored me

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

R. Mute posted:

I checked out the War Nerd today and is it always just three hours of them not talking about the subject the show's supposed to be about? I listened to the Years of Lead one and it was just them talking about coronavirus in Italy, gun control in America and if Trump was just like Berlusconi or not.

lol i always click a radio war nerd title thinking "drat this is something i've always wanted to learn about" and then they spend the next 45 minutes talking about the history of town names in northern ireland

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Xaris posted:

someone had to do it. i honestly only watched the first two episodes of his docu-essay thing, and not really familiar with much of his previous work. i think he has access to some v nice footage that he's reasonably decent at putting together, but msj and liz are right.

also larry is right (free larry ffs)

I had got distracted and didn't finish the chapo curtis episode, but it felt like a whole lot of nothing of actual substance (mlmp). what else did he go on?

he was on red scare first iirc

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

It's really not that interesting to post, but just saying he sucks and is boring as hell and that curtis is a self-admitted neocon. https://twitter.com/corpseinorbit/status/1375340411095552005

the trueanon episode goes into it more with actual depth. as they said, curtis is the dying DMT vision of someone who has read and memorized every newsweek cover, and that's the only reading material they ever had. a large quilt someone bought on ebay stitched together from every newsweek cover. a naive idiot who takes everyone at their word.

That's an insanely on point description of him and I love it, unlike those tweets, which are so tedious as to be hateful in my eyes

Bitter Lake and Machines of Loving Grace are good but I haven't enjoyed anything since then and every podcast ep with him has been boring

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
The Curtis interview with Chapo this time was notably less, spirited? enthusiastic? or maybe just interesting than the one they did after Hypernormalisation.
I respect Curtis as a filmmaker but much less as a thinker and he's not a historian, there's a reason he identifies as a journalist. I think his obvious blind spots and elisions make his work interesting and frustrating. He's useful for asking yourself questions (in this way I think he is correct to say this latest one uses characters and stories like a 19th century novel), but I think maybe he's been too eagerly embraced as a maker of leftist agitprop when that isn't his goal or mindset. If anyone is interested in listening to another hour on his work I thought this podcast episode on him was interesting.
https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/the-film-comment-podcast-cant-get-you-out-of-my-head/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

some plague rats posted:

That's an insanely on point description of him and I love it, unlike those tweets, which are so tedious as to be hateful in my eyes

Bitter Lake and Machines of Loving Grace are good but I haven't enjoyed anything since then and every podcast ep with him has been boring
I totally agree, tweeting is not a positive attribute that msj rolled at all and tis best that no one uses it.

I'll see if i can watch those earlier works because I'm overall not that familiar outside of what he's been on podcast wise and his new docu-essay series that took the internet-sphere by storm.

i love msj's work overall and his chemistry with brace and liz is pro-tier(see their spider network episodes as some of the finest that trueanon has ever produced) and almost wish he was a third co-host, but they're already too powerful as a duo that it's not necessary

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

I may be hallucinating this, but didn't in 2017 a bunch of c-list DSA podcasters have a retreat and then release a wannabe Port Huron statement.

I think a bunch of Discourse Collective people were there? Wild times.

https://twitter.com/malloy_online/status/1088557313189801984?s=19

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Did any of those papers come out lol. Also war nerd usually has timestamps in the ep description so you can skip current day stuff if you want

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Figureheadism must be universally rejected. Falling in line behind politicians without question only makes us another liberal non-profit rather than a nexus of leftist organizing. Healthy skepticism and distance between our organization and candidates seeking our endorsement allow us to remain independent, avoiding the pitfalls of other organizations that ‘hitch their cart to a horse

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Adam Curtis says that he's just telling stories, and I don't think he's being glib, that's literally what he believes.

He is also clearly making stuff about neoliberalism but can't come out and say or he'd never get stuff made by the BBC (who have already cut his funding loads)

There was a good Politics Theory Other on it recently (listen to PTO it's a good rear end podcast)
https://m.soundcloud.com/poltheoryother/hypercurtisisation-w-owen-hatherley-juliet-jacques-and-alberto-toscano

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
curtis rules beause he's a mood (or a vibe as the kids say) and i roll my eyes when he reads stuff uncharitably or his views on ussr because the way he tells his stories are engaging to me, basically the montages and monotone voice
the worst thing though is how his best work, hypernorm, was apparently outright copied from a russian philosopher or critic?

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 10:23 on Apr 12, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

bedpan posted:

Figureheadism must be universally rejected. Falling in line behind politicians without question only makes us another liberal non-profit rather than a nexus of leftist organizing. Healthy skepticism and distance between our organization and candidates seeking our endorsement allow us to remain independent, avoiding the pitfalls of other organizations that ‘hitch their cart to a horse

more to the point: Between those who command those who obey there is only hate. Even the "best" politician should be harassed and abused by their constituents as a matter of course, not merely on moral principle, but as a practical tactic to discourage them becoming too comfortable with the institutions they're now part of.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

xtal posted:

To change the subject to good podcasts from actual activists: a new episode of Behind the Bastards is out today. They're free if you can believe it!
this was from ages ago, but the last 10 minutes of radio war nerd ep 275 about the NED (and bellingcat) part 2 perfectly summerises what's wrong with supporting a cia funded outlet because they are currently doing good things.

"good deeds inside the US might be used to mask very evil deeds elsewhere"

i had already came around after seeing some of robert evans' public opinions on international politics, but this lays out it incredibly starkly and I would highly recommend you listen to both parts in the entirety.

Shipon posted:

made me cackle like a maniac

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

the worst thing though is how his best work, hypernorm, was apparently outright copied from a russian philosopher or critic?

it was; Baloogan linked it once, but I can't remember it, other than it included a definition of something that arose from the Perestoika condition known as a "stiob"

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Honest Thief posted:

curtis rules beause he's a mood (or a vibe as the kids say) and i roll my eyes when he reads stuff uncharitably or his views on ussr because the way he tells his stories are engaging to me, basically the montages and monotone voice

yeah

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Yurchak

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

if by "copied" you mean that he didn't invent the concept of "hypernormalization" then you're right

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

I totally agree, tweeting is not a positive attribute that msj rolled at all and tis best that no one uses it.

I'll see if i can watch those earlier works because I'm overall not that familiar outside of what he's been on podcast wise and his new docu-essay series that took the internet-sphere by storm.

i love msj's work overall and his chemistry with brace and liz is pro-tier(see their spider network episodes as some of the finest that trueanon has ever produced) and almost wish he was a third co-host, but they're already too powerful as a duo that it's not necessary

It's probably an awful contrarian take but I think All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace might be his best. It probably seems a little obvious now but at the time it was unsettling. Excellent subject matter for his weirdly hypnotic style

I am also personally opposed to anything that dilutes the Brace/Liz dynamic

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 12:43 on Apr 12, 2021

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the gist i got was he cribbed the whole concept and not so much even name drop the author, not that he plagiarized the whole movie

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dang I was hoping for a low-fi russian hypernormalization documentary

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/tracyalloway/status/1381521834856734721?s=19

Here we go

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
from that thumbnail zizek about to drop fire

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

from that thumbnail zizek about to drop fire

or just dropped two hotdogs

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Honest Thief posted:

the gist i got was he cribbed the whole concept and not so much even name drop the author, not that he plagiarized the whole movie

I can't say I remember him dropping the name, but he definitely makes it clear hypernormalization as a concept was birthed in Russia and not something he's come up with.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Nah, he definitely name drops Alexei Yurchak in the documentary and has mentioned him many times in interviews and articles he used to write on the BBC website. Say what you want about Curtis, but anyone that says hes plagiarising is full of poo poo.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
ok, back on being curtispilled, curtisilled

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Whats the deal with limonov anyway? The adam curtis documentary trigger a pretty big baader-meinhoff effect with me so I keep running across people talking about him and its made me interested in reading his book about how america sucks

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I rewatched all of his past work recently before watching Can't Get You Out of my Head and Curtis is making a coherent point across all of it, but I understand why "watch dozens of hours of stuff so it's coherent" isn't appealing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

I rewatched all of his past work recently before watching Can't Get You Out of my Head and Curtis is making a coherent point across all of it, but I understand why "watch dozens of hours of stuff so it's coherent" isn't appealing

Oh so NOW watching a cinematic universe isn't appealing?