Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Rockstar Massacre posted:

while there certainly is an argument that sticking with non-violence allowed them to effectively help a handful of people around them, it did nothing to actually stop the GRC from solidifying their hold or curb their abuse of power, and before Karli turned to violence Walker and the rest of the global authority were still completely intent on stopping them, almost certainly with the violence implied by state actors. So the only danger in being violent in return is that they lose their groundswell of support - which they didn't, as far as we can see.

It's already a violent conflict. Insisting the Flag Smashers curb their violence when their enemies don't is absolutely childish and the only concerns are tactical, not moral.

Realistically, using terror tactics against an authoritarian institution does nothing to weaken it. You’re just proving their rhetoric is right and that gives them an excuse to double down on their oppressive tactics. Public opinion at large turns against them. Their groundswell abandons them as the oppressor teaches civilian collaborators that a lot more can be taken from them. Violent revolution is a power fantasy that only works out if you have support from the military/police or from an outside government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Historically you absolutely needed an outside sponsor for violent revolution to succeed. Even the American revolution would've failed if not for France.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jedit posted:

I don't think so. What's more likely to happen is that Karli realises that she's crossed a line you can't come back from, and now there's nothing left but pursuing the path to the end no matter what it takes.

God I hope not. Much like the production rumor earlier in the thread this is like the most uninteresting version of that storyline that could be done.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
(Or the support of the military and/or police).

The only exception I can think of is the French Revolution and that is sometimes called the Parisian Revolution due to the underlying conflicts that made it (and several successive governments) collapse. So we really come back to the issue of revolution being a game of persuasion of the right people once again.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Marsupial Ape posted:

Oh, certainly! The Myth of American Exceptionalism . Basically, we be believe we can do no wrong...so we end up doing a lot of wrong poo poo and equivocating it later.

Ah! Ok yeah I thought that was it, I'll have to give it a reread though been awhile.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KittyEmpress posted:

In episode 3, before Karli had blown up anything, we see Walker and a fully kitted out special forces team with lots and lots of guns and a literal group of APCs breaking down doors to intimidate people who they thought were connected to the Flag Smashers. Walker all but threatens to break a restaurant(?) owner's head, if he doesn't want to talk. It takes Battlestar talking him down to get him not to assault a literal civilian while backed up by military force.

They didn't care that the flag smashers had up to then been 'just' taking supplies and running away, with a couple injured at most. They wanted the organization dead and gone, and intended to shoot them all dead if they found them.

If anything, Walker's public execution and near decapitation of one of the Flag Smashers in broad daylight in front of thousands of people has probably boosted Karli's cause and numbers far more than any act of terrorism or her attempt to kill him ever would have . People and causes love martyrs, and Walker could not have given Karli a better powder keg for her movement to massively expand and turn it into the Super Global Troubles if he loving tried.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 12, 2021

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

TulliusCicero posted:

If anything, Walker's public execution and near decapitation of one of the Flag Smashers in broad daylight in front of thousands of people has probably boosted Karli's cause and numbers far more than any act of terrorism or her attempt to kill him ever would have . People and causes love martyrs, and Walker could not have given Karli a better powder keg for her movement to massively expand and turn it into the Super Global Troubles if he loving tried.

Oh, wow, it just occurred to me how absolutely bad for the Flagsmashers and good for the GRC if she actually killed Walker. Public perception wise, assassinating Captain America would be almost as bad as punching Baby Yoda.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Marsupial Ape posted:

Realistically, using terror tactics against an authoritarian institution does nothing to weaken it. You’re just proving their rhetoric is right and that gives them an excuse to double down on their oppressive tactics. Public opinion at large turns against them. Their groundswell abandons them as the oppressor teaches civilian collaborators that a lot more can be taken from them. Violent revolution is a power fantasy that only works out if you have support from the military/police or from an outside government.

Insisting the Flag Smashers curb their violence when their enemies don't is absolutely childish and the only concerns are tactical, not moral.

got you covered in that same post. I don't expect a bunch of early twenty-somethings to be really good at finding a path to victory, in particular against historically unlikely odds. I'm just saying, when people say they 'can't get behind their methods', they now have a obligation to find a solution that works. 'do nothing and wait for a state sponsor' isn't an ethical solution to take or to propose.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I honestly think it's gonna be both. American media is gonna push the Capt did no wrong angle while social media is gonna be much more sympathetic to Karli. She's going to gain more grassroots followers while the establishment media is going to bend over backwards to show how Walker was right, and he gets the support of the MCU alt-right and nazis. And let's be fair in a world where some right winger gets snapped and then comes back to a brown family living in his house, nazi recruitment is gonna be sky high.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Marsupial Ape posted:

Oh, wow, it just occurred to me how absolutely bad for the Flagsmashers and good for the GRC if she actually killed Walker. Public perception wise, assassinating Captain America would be almost as bad as punching Baby Yoda.

Oh if Karli's plan had actually succeeded, Walker would be a saintly martyr and the world would have united to utterly put her down like a rabid dog . Instead Walker gave the Flag Smashers a loving PR extravaganza to the average person. "Actual symbol of American Hegemony nearly publicly decapitates a surrendering refugee in broad daylight" is absolutely a massive swing in global public opinion.

Walker hosed up his mission beyond anyone's wildest expectations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

got you covered in that same post. I don't expect a bunch of early twenty-somethings to be really good at finding a path to victory, in particular against historically unlikely odds. I'm just saying, when people say they 'can't get behind their methods', they now have a obligation to find a solution that works. 'do nothing and wait for a state sponsor' isn't an ethical solution to take or to propose.

Nonviolent resistance isn’t sexy or emotionally satisfying, but nonviolent resistance is the more ethical and historically more effective path to real change. Blowing up GRC buildings may make Karli feel good, but organizing a general strike would actually hamper the GRC enough to actually bring them to the bargaining table.https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2019/02/why-nonviolent-resistance-beats-violent-force-in-effecting-social-political-change/

Trust me, if I could wave a magic AK-47 and make Fully Automated Space Gay Communism happen, I would.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There, uh.. seems to be a lot to wrap up in the final two episodes. Is this another one-shot show like Wandavision or are we expecting this to ride on into a second season?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Marsupial Ape posted:

Public perception wise, assassinating Captain America would be almost as bad as punching Baby Yoda.

Watching the big fight scene it occurred to me that if Sam and Bucky hadn't interfered and the Dora Milaje had killed Walker, there would be no way the United States would have let CAPTAIN AMERICA be killed by a bunch of black terrorists without massive reprisal.

Somewhere on the Ancestral Plane, Killmonger's ghost got real excited for a second.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Martytoof posted:

There, uh.. seems to be a lot to wrap up in the final two episodes. Is this another one-shot show like Wandavision or are we expecting this to ride on into a second season?

Laser beams will resolve everything in a neat little package

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Nah, they definitely weren't trying to kill him. They were holding back and just stunted on him.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I expect there will be a lot left unresolved. They may deal with Walker or he could still be around. Boat financing situation will still look grim.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

AJA posted:

Watching the big fight scene it occurred to me that if Sam and Bucky hadn't interfered and the Dora Milaje had killed Walker, there would be no way the United States would have let CAPTAIN AMERICA be killed by a bunch of black terrorists without massive reprisal.

Somewhere on the Ancestral Plane, Killmonger's ghost got real excited for a second.

That only applies to weaker nations, if the Dora Milaje killed Captain America and Wakanda didn't disavow their actions, the US would lick boots and throw Walker under the bus so fast your head would spin. No way the US would actually try and fight Wakanda now, not since they revealed how advanced they really are.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Martytoof posted:

The show is supposed to be linked to one of the movies, they haven't said which one.

I have my bets that it's gonna continue in Black Panther 2. Loki is the only one with a second season planned.

Oh, and totally unrelated, but thanks to the goon that mentioned The Alienist. I always saw it in Netflix but never watched. drat, Daniel Brühl is actually amazing in it! And the man does look good in long coats lol

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Thundercracker posted:

Nah, they definitely weren't trying to kill him. They were holding back and just stunted on him.

I would have to go back and see if the woman who pinned his shield instead of his heart was the same as the one who tried to skewer him a sec before. I think there is enough pride there to show the colonizer just how outclassed he is, but I also think there is too much professionalism to mess around on an op like that.

Either way, it doesn't matter in the context of the show, it was just a sort of What If...? thought I had.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Marsupial Ape posted:

Nonviolent resistance isn’t sexy or emotionally satisfying, but nonviolent resistance is the more ethical and historically more effective path to real change. Blowing up GRC buildings may make Karli feel good, but organizing a general strike would actually hamper the GRC enough to actually bring them to the bargaining table.https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2019/02/why-nonviolent-resistance-beats-violent-force-in-effecting-social-political-change/

Trust me, if I could wave a magic AK-47 and make Fully Automated Space Gay Communism happen, I would.

I feel like I covered this? the nature of violent vs nonviolent conflict is a tactical argument, it's not a moral failing to choose violence in response to violence.

I have a laundry list of reasons to suggest yours, Erica Chenowith's, and her lengthy list of peers analysis' of these conflicts are flawed, but I also didn't assert at any point that violent resistance was definitely the way to go no matter what either so I don't really feel the need.

Sam and the other guy who responded me equate violence from Karli and the Global hegemony she opposes as morally the same, but that's false - if i'm the biggest kid in the yard and i push around all he other kids, it's my fault when they push back even if they might have found another way.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I feel like I covered this? the nature of violent vs nonviolent conflict is a tactical argument, it's not a moral failing to choose violence in response to violence.

I have a laundry list of reasons to suggest yours, Erica Chenowith's, and her lengthy list of peers analysis' of these conflicts are flawed, but I also didn't assert at any point that violent resistance was definitely the way to go no matter what either so I don't really feel the need.

Sam and the other guy who responded me equate violence from Karli and the Global hegemony she opposes as morally the same, but that's false - if i'm the biggest kid in the yard and i push around all he other kids, it's my fault when they push back even if they might have found another way.

1) Fighting morally vs amorally IS a tactical concern when you're doing a revolution because revolutions only succeed if they harness the popular will, or at least if the popular will accepts them when they decapitate power. If you're just another dictator in a long string of dictators the people are not going to care when the next person comes along and kills YOU. If you want what you're building to last than doing it as clean as you can is the smarter strategy, even if it takes longer to reach your goal.

2) Utilitarianism is a lovely way to build a better world. Go read the Brother's Karamazov. Or watch Fate/Zero if you don't have time for that I guess.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Servetus posted:

I expect there will be a lot left unresolved. They may deal with Walker or he could still be around. Boat financing situation will still look grim.

Supposition: it's a little late to introduce someone entirely new, Sharon is totally going to be the Power Broker, isn't she?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Supposition: it's a little late to introduce someone entirely new, Sharon is totally going to be the Power Broker, isn't she?

Its seemingly increasingly certain. Unless its going to be like a post-credits reveal deal.

What if it was the Kingpin, that'd be dope.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm the Power Broker.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm the Power Broker.

Dang, why are you doing those things?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spacebump posted:

Dang, why are you doing those things?

Because Apple wouldn't let him have an iPhone on camera

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Sanguinia posted:

What if it was the Kingpin, that'd be dope.

gently caress now I'ma be upset when it ain't this

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Bleck posted:

gently caress now I'ma be upset when it ain't this

Surprise!
It's the kid from Iron Man 3.

But being serious it seems all is pointing out to Sharon. I wonder if she is deep undercover, or if she really really went bad.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's Mephisto

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I assumed the Power Broker is being set up as an overarching villain, whose identity and resolution will come in another series. They seem fairly tangential to the main plot of FATWS and there's such little time left that I don't know how they could address them, even if it is Sharon.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Its Rinaldo posted:

It's Mephisto

No it's Reed Richards

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Doctor Nutt posted:

No it's Reed Richards

Same thing

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
It would be cool if the Power Broker is Armin Zola.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Doctor Nutt posted:

No it's Reed Richards

Gonna pull out a wild prediction and say it's the Leader. The MCU has had Tim Blake Nelson in it's back pocket for far too long.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Clearly it's MODOK!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Sanguinia posted:

Clearly it's Mojo!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's clearly Mephisto

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

Clearly it's MODOK!

MODOP

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
No, it's Ward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Marsupial Ape posted:

It would be cool if the Power Broker is Armin Zola.

ScreenCrush guy promotes this. He was also one of the leaders of the Mepheston theories on youtubes. I guess its more of a possibility with Zola being already being in the MCU.