Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Ashmole posted:

IL2 BOS is on sale for 7 bucks, so yeah I guess all you have to do is wait.

So this game looks incredible and is very well optimized in VR. Very pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Now if only they would release a Pacific expansion with torpedo bombers.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

They refuse to due to the lack of documentation on the Zero.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if only there were people who could decipher the ancient japanese scripts

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I know that was an issue they ran into earlier on but I don't think that's the actual hold up. I imagine the real issue is getting all the ships in game and working alongside carrier takeoff/landing. Also making a map interesting enough that isn't just miles of endless ocean.

Probably a good start is the Guadalcanal campaign which has plenty of islands and land based airfields.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i'm extremely bad at dogfighting, except for the one time i managed to do a loop and ended up behind the enemy (i still missed)

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Did they get burned or something? I'm assuming there was copious documentation at one point knowing how meticulous the Japanese could be in other areas.

E:

pointsofdata posted:

i'm extremely bad at dogfighting, except for the one time i managed to do a loop and ended up behind the enemy (i still missed)

One thing that keeps me from giving into IL2 is knowing that people have been playing similar stuff for > 20 years. They have far more experience than any real world pilot ever had.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 11, 2021

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Dev team coming together out of the Long War mod team so I didn't kickstart and am watching with a heathy degree of scepticism because when do those sorts of projects ever turn out well but am prepared to be pleasantly surprised. There's a lot of moving parts they've set themselves to get to somehow work together.

Ah, didn't know it came from XCOM modders, that's interesting, and explains the alien infiltration angle a bit better

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Popete posted:

I know that was an issue they ran into earlier on but I don't think that's the actual hold up. I imagine the real issue is getting all the ships in game and working alongside carrier takeoff/landing. Also making a map interesting enough that isn't just miles of endless ocean.

Probably a good start is the Guadalcanal campaign which has plenty of islands and land based airfields.

What is wrong with miles of endless ocean? How else will I reenact being sent to look for Japanese Carriers, flying to the edge of my fuel, and then getting lost on the way back?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

pthighs posted:

Did they get burned or something? I'm assuming there was copious documentation at one point knowing how meticulous the Japanese could be in other areas.

I think it's just a language barrier thing

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Stairmaster posted:

I think it's just a language barrier thing

Hiring a translator should not be such a critical issue in this day and age.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

What is wrong with miles of endless ocean? How else will I reenact being sent to look for Japanese Carriers, flying to the edge of my fuel, and then getting lost on the way back?

I'd pay $15 for their Aichi E13A "Jake" scout plane DLC so I could fly it on multiplayer servers scouting for the enemy fleet only to get shot down before sending back a report.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'd happily take miles of endless ocean with a few carrier task groups there. I'm pretty sure most people who want carrier ops would too.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

pthighs posted:

One thing that keeps me from giving into IL2 is knowing that people have been playing similar stuff for > 20 years. They have far more experience than any real world pilot ever had.

Take it from someone who just started playing 4 months ago: it's very hard but equally rewarding.

In case any of you don't know about it, us plane sim nerds have a discord. We fly together regularly, and are always happy for new people to join ! https://discord.gg/XEg2MBWR

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I thought an il2 Pacific module was in the works though?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I don't think a blue water game fits in with the IL-2 dev's MO of making a high-fidelity sim of a single theater over a few months. There's not enough battles, what would you even do in IL-2: Midway? 3 career sorties and then the Kido Butai gets sunk (or maybe 3 career sorties and TF 16 gets sunk if the game's really ambitious)? It's just not interesting enough at the pilot level.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Some of the most interesting air fights of the war were over New Guinea and the Solomons in 42-43 :cmon:

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Yeah but that's my point. In that case you had a pretty sustained operational tempo because there was a lot of poo poo going on for a long period of time, compared to Midway which was a single abortive amphibious op obviated by a single carrier duel.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sum posted:

I don't think a blue water game fits in with the IL-2 dev's MO of making a high-fidelity sim of a single theater over a few months. There's not enough battles, what would you even do in IL-2: Midway? 3 career sorties and then the Kido Butai gets sunk (or maybe 3 career sorties and TF 16 gets sunk if the game's really ambitious)? It's just not interesting enough at the pilot level.

That's my suspicion as well, they are having trouble making an entire theater expansion around carrier battles.

That's why I thought the battle for Guadalcanal would be interesting. You have Henderson Field and plenty of nearby smaller islands to make it more interesting. Rabaul is probably too far away to fit on the same map but you could still give the Japanese some a-historical airstrip.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Just call it Battles at Sea and release it in volumes like Flying Circus, problem solved. Start off with just blue water operations and a shallow campaign, maybe scripted only, and then go from there.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Did we skip over the news that Armored Brigade has had a 1943 mod released? https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1089840/view/3114777256001087454

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fuf posted:

I really loved Ultimate General because of the big sweeping battles so I was disappointed that Age of Sail went the other way with its land battles. Maybe I'll give it a whirl though.

I think I'm looking forward to Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts more. It's still weird to me that they made two "Ultimate Admiral" games at the same time...

UA:D development has stalled quite badly recently. I hope everything is ok. It's like 3 months for minor changes at the moment. The biggest recent change was four gun turrets.

The damage model is still meh, without even a simple abstracted crew (a percentage like Jutland did it) the model doesn't work. Ships don't really degrade in capability, they just kinda sail on firing until suddenly sinking. Needs a lot of work and not a lot seems to be happening.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Thoroughly disappointed in UA: Age of Sail. Every mission ups the ante like I'm playing Ace Combat.

How hard is it to make an open world game like Pirates! where I get to pick the engagements but without all the bullshit?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I think they added a way to turn that off because everyone hates it in all their games.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Even with the scaling turned off their levels are built that way.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Did we skip over the news that Armored Brigade has had a 1943 mod released? https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1089840/view/3114777256001087454

I tried it, it's cool. I did a Soviet Guards Vs. Wehrmacht in the Ardennes and it was neato. The AI seems to follow the same tactics as the Cold War stuff, kind of wish the dude from Command Ops would do the AI for it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
China-Burma-India

Add Zeros as Premium if needed.

Include botes and a carrier map with no terrain on it.

Give me my paycheck

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
According to BF forums Combat Mission Cold War will have PBEM++. The game with PBEM++ in beta form will be released on the BF site in April. The final version will be released on Matrix in June. Slitherines are setting up a dedicated server to handle the large CM save files.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Talking Il-2 Pacific I decided to dig around on the IL-2 forums and see if they've mentioned anything about it recently which brought me to this interview with the head IL-2 dev.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzPxOi-q6A&t=1672s

It's worth a listen for a few minutes if you're curios what the hang ups are he goes into more detail. It sounds like they are still interested in pursuing it but aren't making any promises yet.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Il2 is real good now and regularly gets massive discounts.

Def check out the airgoons discord, if you can take off then you've mastered what you need to fly with goons.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Abongination posted:

Il2 is real good now and regularly gets massive discounts.

Def check out the airgoons discord, if you can take off then you've mastered what you need to fly with goons.

Link?

Also, anyone know of any good quality youtubers with tutorial vids for IL2? Any with tips for using mouse controls would be great.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hippocrass posted:

Link?

Also, anyone know of any good quality youtubers with tutorial vids for IL2? Any with tips for using mouse controls would be great.

Not mouse control specific but lots of good stuff here.

The Air Combat Tutorial Library

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
https://discord.gg/nYTKKQ5yuU

Should link to airgoons hopefully

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Popete posted:

Not mouse control specific but lots of good stuff here.

The Air Combat Tutorial Library

And Sheriff's Sim Shack has great videos of just...good flying, but also really good tutorial videos too. I find his tutorials much more interesting from a "how do you actually fly and do well in this plane" angle than some of the Air Combat Library videos.

EDIT: also the IL-2 thread here has good stuff!

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 12, 2021

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I played a few hours of my first campaign of War on the Sea and... man... it's so close to being an incredible game. So close! But some of the UI design decisions are just maddeningly bad, and this comes from a guy who puts up with games like WitP and Graviteam. I actually much prefer the UI for Graviteam over War on the Sea if that says anything.

In the campaign mode:
1. Give the player standard RTS controls: WASD pans the view, left click draws a box for unit selection, etc.
2. When building a new TF, give me a collapsible tree view that allows me to select which ships I want. Available units on the left, assigned units on the right, with the typical ">>" and "<<" buttons to move selected units back and forth. This whole "scroll through multiple dropdowns" is just bad UI design.
3. ffs, ditch the goddamn dropdown menus everywhere. This is 2021, rearranging a TF should be as simple as drag and drop. I shouldn't have to select "swap ships" from a dropdown, click the ships I want to swap, then click the go button. There is more than enough unused screen real estate to justify individual buttons for all the actions contained in these stupid dropdown menus.
4. TF icons on the map are needlessly large and often overlap. When I have four TFs in the same area I shouldn't have to click a button or hit a function key to cycle through all TFs and airgroups. Nor should I have to pixel hunt to find the one TF I'm looking for.
5. Enemy subs without torpedoes should be skippable encounters. I had a damaged DD limping from Guadalcanal to Espiritu Santo and I had to manually resolve eight different encounters in which the submarine never fired a shot since presumably it was out of torpedoes due to earlier attacks on the my ships.

In the tactical mode:
1. Same WASD comment as above. Having to focus on a unit 100% of the time is frustrating. Let me pan, zoom, and click-drag to select units or targets.
2. Subs need to have battery limits. Near as I can tell, I can run at flank submerged speed as long as I want. They also sound like they're running on their diesels when submerged.
3. The whole targeting system is just clunky and bad. It's nearly impossible to target a distant ship without first clicking that ship on the map to zoom to it. Targeting at long ranges turns into a ridiculous pixel hunt.
4. The unit selection system is bad too. I'm dying for the bog-standard RTS option to use CTRL+# to assign groups for quick access later.
5. Having to go through different menu subpages to manage your ships' weapons in the heat of battle is frustrating and counter-productive. If I click on a ship, use the dead space on the right hand side or bottom of the screen to intelligently show weapons controls, damage status, and basic orders functions. I shouldn't have to click a button or hit a hotkey to see those items' menu pages individually.
6. The unit detection system seems utterly arbitrary and mysterious. With my periscope up, I can't target an enemy ship directly aft of me at 1000 yards in clear weather.

And, lastly - maybe this is user error - but group controls don't seem to do poo poo. As in, I select all of my destroyers in a TF and click the "turn on sonar" button. Then I go to the next ship in the group only to find that its sonar is still off. None of the units I'd selected together had turned on their sonar except the one I was directly controlling when I did the initial order. I have to manually turn it on in every single ship. Same happens for gunfire and targeting too. Why bother selecting multiple ships to give orders when they don't actually apply to any ship except the one I'm directly controlling right now?

ARGH. This game is so close to my childhood memories of TF1942 that I just want it to click. In the words of Leslie Knope, I'm just "caring very loudly" because I really want this game to be all it can be. I know the devs are actively working on it, but I sincerely doubt this UI will ever get the overhaul it so desperately needs.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I bounced off hard on release, went back to it the other day to see what's improved and the game still needs a while in the oven.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Ashmole posted:

Speaking of flight sims: why the gently caress are all the IL2 dlcs 50+ bucks? That's ridiculous.

Just a few bucks each currently. Get em.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Vahakyla posted:

Just a few bucks each currently. Get em.

Think you missed the chain where we were gushing about it being on sale. This game is so fun in VR. I like how I have to scoot up to the gun sight to use it properly because of the way the gun sight moves depending on where the plans is positioned.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Really enjoying wite2 now I just entirely ignore the air phase and let the AI do everything - I lost a lot of planes turn 1 but nothing happens anymore, except for the occasional sortie to intercept German transports.

The AI is pretty good. It'll work hard to escape incomplete encirclements or break out of weak complete ones. It makes occasional counter attacks where my line is weak but I haven't noticed any large scale actions yet, possibly because it's the Stalingrad to Berlin campaign and there isn't much for the AI to do. It does do a rapid full-scale retreat from the Caucuses and a more measured one from Operation Mars. Only iffy thing so far is that it messed up its lines near Leningrad and let me reopen a land bridge without much attacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I wanna play WiTP but I can't get it on Steam or the Matrix store. Is there a modern grog pacific theater equivalent? Is it War on the Sea?