Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I can't recall who posts links to unlisted youtube videos of Japanese matches in this thread but they're awesome.

e: I'm watching WALTER vs Ciampa nwo and did it have these weird audio issues or is that Peacock?

TTBF fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

As someone who tries to post more obscure stuff in here then my feeling is that as long as one person watches and enjoys it then it was worth posting, it's not a problem it it doesn't make a list.

The only problem with the sheer amount of AEW/NJPW nominations is that it's harder to tell what the absolute transcendent stuff from those two promotions are at a glance because I don't have the time to watch all of it.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

basically, the only good wrestling match is the TK/Tamura 30 minute draw from June 27th 1998

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The only problem with the sheer amount of AEW/NJPW nominations is that it's harder to tell what the absolute transcendent stuff from those two promotions are at a glance because I don't have the time to watch all of it.

:cheerdoge:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lid posted:

I think Dynamites match reactions are overrated and people are too liberal with hm's and even moty's. Theres good matches but this thread reacts to every Dynamite like its a NJPW PPV so irs a quantity v quality argument scale.

Part of that is that HMs are literally meaningless and being concerned about what qualifies something as an HM beyond "yeah that was pretty fun" is a waste of time and being concerned about what makes something an MOTYC beyond "yeah that was more than pretty fun, that was very fun" is as much of a waste unless you're very reliant on the MOTYC list for your year end voting in which case just keep a notebook of your own favorite matches and you'll be better served.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If a promotion a) consistently puts on good matches and b) has a large enough audience then it obviously will dominate the nominations given how the system works and I don't see any way around it besides changing the rules somehow.

After all, you could have some indie putting on the objectively best match of the year but if less than 7 people here have even watched it, it ain't going on the list.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Look Dynamite or not if you didn't nominate Arcade Anarchy for MOTYC then I don't think we can be friends.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
wmotyc: bear country vs Jurassic express aew dynamite 4/7

a sloppy loving match with a bunch of botches from two teams i like. really dire for a big spot match

wmotyc Cezar bononi vs. luchasaurus aew dark 3/16
sloppy as gently caress match, both dudes looked lost

motyc josh barnett vs jon moxley gcw bloodsport 6 4/8
good ground work and they put the blood in blood sport

hm yoya vs lio rush gcw bloodsport 6 4/8
liked this a lot, different style from lio rush than im used to. interested in seeing this yoya guy more

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 12, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

HM: Miu Watanabe and Mirai Maiumi vs Hikari Noa and Sena Shiori. TJPW That's JPW Episode 1, April 11 2021

A fun firecracker of a match that told a simple story of speed versus strength. Some great spots, some absolutely clubbing blows from Mirai, and an excellent finish sequence. If you have Wrestle Universe, invest 15 minutes in this show.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kirios posted:

Look Dynamite or not if you didn't nominate Arcade Anarchy for MOTYC then I don't think we can be friends.

If this was a tier of nominations it would make everything easier

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

HM: Baliyan Akki vs Chie Koishikawa ChocoPro 4/11/21

This was a straightforward, good technical match and there was one point where they were trading counters and it was mesmerizing.

Nth

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
motyc
roman reigns vs daniel bryan vs edge wrestlemania 37 night 2 , 4/11

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

motyc
roman reigns vs daniel bryan vs edge wrestlemania 37 night 2 , 4/11

The double submission was very Chocopro so I'll give it an HM. But really I just love Daniel Bryan.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

fez_machine posted:

The double submission was very Chocopro so I'll give it an HM. But really I just love Daniel Bryan.

they did "what if both men did the spear at the same time" spot and that was all i ever needed to see

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

flatluigi posted:

i think what i would very much like is if you're posting about a match that isn't from the main three companies that get posted about (wwe, aew, njpw) AND it's available for people to just go watch for free, you should post a link to it. i personally get really wrestled out with what i already watch, so i'm out of touch with what promotions people are highlighting are available like that

I try to when I find links, I did for the recent RIOT Lucha show for example, but when I watch things live I'd then have to go back to quote my own nomination to post links and quoting myself gives me a sense of being an arsehole.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

I try to when I find links, I did for the recent RIOT Lucha show for example, but when I watch things live I'd then have to go back to quote my own nomination to post links and quoting myself gives me a sense of being an arsehole.

Quote yourself, give me those dank links.

I nominate matches from Dynamite and obscure promotions, it’s not that hard to do, get the gently caress in.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

A bit late to the chat about nomination guidelines but i'll give my two cents. For me a HM is saying 'that was good, watch it if you've got spare time' whereas MOTYC is 'that was great, make the time to see it'. In terms of stars a HM is 3-4* and a MOTYC is anything above 4.25*, Although I have broken that for 2 matches (37Kamiina vs Chris Brookes and Miyu Yamashita from DDT Feb 7th, as well as Jay White vs Tomohiro Ishii from NJPW Feb 27th. I've got both listed at 4.25* but I felt both had something missing that would make me recommend people make time for them).

Anyways, content
AJPW Champion Carnival Night 3 April 11th
MOTYC
Kento Miyahara vs Shotaro Ashino
- Ashino is an absolute beast, and Kento is supremely talented. Stiff and scrappy and with an ending sequence I didn't see coming but very much appreciated, especially considering how Ashino/Lee ended on night one. My favourite match of the tournament so far.
Zeus vs Suwama
- Big men run into each other real hard and real often: the match. Super fun, the Jackhammer remains over with me.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

TTBF posted:

MOTYC
April 9th
GCW Presents rSpring Break
Arez, Black Taurus & Gringo Loco vs. Aramis, Dragon Bane & Laredo Kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPtNl2i-bLE

A bit harmed by the lovely sound mix and the outdoor venue making the crowd seem less hot than it is. Get it before whoever owns Gorillaz hits me with a copyright strike.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

TTBF posted:

A bit harmed by the lovely sound mix and the outdoor venue making the crowd seem less hot than it is. Get it before whoever owns Gorillaz hits me with a copyright strike.

Too late

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TTBF posted:

I can't recall who posts links to unlisted youtube videos of Japanese matches in this thread but they're awesome.

e: I'm watching WALTER vs Ciampa nwo and did it have these weird audio issues or is that Peacock?

I'm *pretty* sure that's when the USA feed went to commercial.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Cerebral Bore posted:

If a promotion a) consistently puts on good matches and b) has a large enough audience then it obviously will dominate the nominations given how the system works and I don't see any way around it besides changing the rules somehow.

After all, you could have some indie putting on the objectively best match of the year but if less than 7 people here have even watched it, it ain't going on the list.

It's easy to get 7 votes if over a hundred people watch it. My goal is to now get the thirstiest match of the year (Grey Sweatpants Battle Royal) in front of as many eyeballs as possible to get it the most voted on match of the year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WMOAT: The Fiend Braymien Wyatt vs Randall Orton World "Wrestling" "Entertainment" "Wrestle"mania night 2

the worst match of all time

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

WMOAT: The Fiend Braymien Wyatt vs Randall Orton World "Wrestling" "Entertainment" "Wrestle"mania night 2

Please don’t make me want to watch it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

don't watch it

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Its not fun bad its confusing vaguely soul crushing bad.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s too short to be the worst match of all time but still Nth

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TTBF posted:

It would duck the audio when they went to commercial on USA and then back up for the peacock stream. It did this throughout the entire show

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

TTBF posted:

Ok I've had YouTube mute the section with copywritten music playing so it should be good to go now.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Orton/Wyatt wasn't the worst match of all time. Not even close.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

The fun thing about Bray Wyatt's career is it might not even be his third-worst match of the last two years

The Seth HIAC was 1.5 years ago

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

worst match where someone didn't actually die

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TTBF posted:

MOTYC
April 9th
GCW Presents rSpring Break
Arez, Black Taurus & Gringo Loco vs. Aramis, Dragon Bane & Laredo Kid

spotfest af

nth

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

worst match where someone didn't actually die

Nobody died during the production of Heroes of Wrestling.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

As bad as Orton/Fiend was, it was not on the level of Holocausto vs Shalom. That's a match that went wrong on just about every conceivable level.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Armitage posted:

WMOTYC: Randy Orton vs Fiend - Wrestlemania Night 2
WMOTYC: Natalya/Tamina vs Shayna Baszler/Nia Jax - Wrestlemania Night 2
WMOTYC: Big E vs Apollo Crews - Wrestlemania Night 2
WMOTYC: Asuka vs Rhea Ripley - Wrestlemania Night 2

Nth.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HM: Konosuke Takeshita vs. Danny Limelight - AEW Dark Elevation 4/12

This was so good, and it wasn't just Takeshita, Limelight lifted up to another level to keep up and it made for a hell of a match.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
HM: Danny Limelight v Konosuke Takeshita, Apr 12 AEW Dark: Evolution

hell of a first match in the company

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Jerusalem posted:

This was so good, and it wasn't just Takeshita, Limelight lifted up to another level to keep up and it made for a hell of a match.

nth, match ruled.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Konosuke Takeshita vs. Danny Limelight - AEW Dark Elevation 4/12

gently caress yeah.

soup man.

(I voted MOTYC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

nth