Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ships absolutely will jump to another star system to harvest its gas giant. Deuterium just comes out real slowly out of them. I get most of mine from fractioners, actually, supplemented slightly with a few particle colliders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yeah, I've got an ILS dedicated to deuterium (and hydrogen, but it's one of several for the latter) pickup that just has way less throughput than it should with 40 deuterium harvesters. So my guess is that it's just not getting picked up properly. Hydrogen flows fine. Are ships not able to warp to gas giant harvesters in another system? If so, that would explain it.

You'll need warpers in the demand towers for sure. But also, the deuterium giants I've found have all had it as the second feed, which is the one that gets burnt to fuel the collector. This makes it accumulate super slowly. I've started to change the demanding tower's % Load setting to 10-30% whenever transit has bottomed out, it starts pulling the little bits from each collector

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

PoultryGeist posted:

You'll need warpers in the demand towers for sure. But also, the deuterium giants I've found have all had it as the second feed, which is the one that gets burnt to fuel the collector. This makes it accumulate super slowly. I've started to change the demanding tower's % Load setting to 10-30% whenever transit has bottomed out, it starts pulling the little bits from each collector

Ah, that's gonna do it, it's second slot here too. Good to know. Orbital harvesters are non-transparent as gently caress so that's good to know. Once I solve power problems I'll be expanding my fractionator loops again and hoping that comes anywhere close to enough deut for a while.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Looking at the production stats for my orbitals, between 15 of them they produce 4 deutrium/second total. Not that much!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can put 40 on a planet

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Shame. Fractionator loops it is, then. I've finally hit a semi sustainable point (50 fractionators later) but only when I'm actually at full power. And of course, power drains, deut rods get made slower, mini fusion farm starts running out of power... sphere, come together faster please.

e: ^^^^^^^ yes, I've got 40 on mine, fwiw

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Yeah I basically crammed as many collectors around a giant as I could, then had 3 towers requesting at 10-30%. 30 ships bringing in a few hundred 2H at a time was enough to run a decent green flashlight factory (with whatever fractionator 2H that survived fuel rods). Of course now I'm dealing with the fact that I only had a total of like 700k magnetic monopoles in my cluster...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I ran out of unipolar magnets long ago. I can never seem to make enough gravity turbines for the standard recipe but they're coming in enough.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

PoultryGeist posted:

That's not how it works. It draws from both proportionally. Which also means that the higher the hydrogen extraction rate, the more deuterium you get. Also, veins utilization will increase the extraction rate by a lot early on, since a fix amount is diverted to power, and that amount is going to be most of the resources, initially.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Dr. Stab posted:

That's not how it works. It draws from both proportionally. Which also means that the higher the hydrogen extraction rate, the more deuterium you get. Also, veins utilization will increase the extraction rate by a lot early on, since a fix amount is diverted to power, and that amount is going to be most of the resources, initially.

Huh. It's very possible that I horribly misread the little blurb, I'll have to check when I get home. I have gone 3 or 4 repeated vein researchs in, I'll have to see what the increase is when the next one finishes.

E: Whelp, checking the wiki and I did indeed totally misread the blurb. Sorry for the misinformation SkyeAuroline.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 12, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

All good. The documentation for the game sucks betwene early access & language barrier.

I think my plan is gonna be just riding out the current 75% power and using my Mercury analogue (that's currently drowning in power, I built out power and supply infrastructure to use it for fractionators so I have some 100 MW excess) to start antimatter production. See if I can flip some power needs around that way. Going to be a lot of trial and error I'm guessing. If I'm lucky and figure it out, I can lessen the deut rod reliance too while I'm here and maybe solve some deut problems.

But hey, power is power.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you've got a power surplus on a planet, maybe set up an accumulator/exchanger scheme? I've used that to power new star systems before I got my artificial stars set up.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

That's going to end up a component of the whole thing. Right now the surplus is not nearly enough to power my home planet, and 2 of the 4 (or 3 of 5, idk) are just barely breaking even since they're just mines and not built up past that.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

If you are desperate for power, build a quick setup for solar panels and build a ring around your planet. It is space inefficient and annoying to lay down but it will solve your power issues until you get into antimatter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I find it's much easier to just build rings around your pole (and with the BP mod you can just repeat them over and over and fill in the gaps :ssh: )

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Peachfart posted:

If you are desperate for power, build a quick setup for solar panels and build a ring around your planet. It is space inefficient and annoying to lay down but it will solve your power issues until you get into antimatter.

That's in action. There's a stretch that's occupied by factory that I can't build in, but otherwise, figured out that you can perfectly stamp down a 3x4 pattern of 2 turbines, 4 accumulators, and 6 solar panels. Not a perfect ratio probably, but as it happens I already had the perfect gridded wind turbines set up in the parts of the planet not yet cleared, so just had to build in between. Like you said, space inefficient and annoying, but it solves problems. Plus that Mercury is something like 148% wind and 110% solar, so even better. All I'm doing there now is mining so the space constraint isn't an issue & can be worked around till antimatter is up.

Just a matter of the patience to do it all.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So I just finished this. Random thoughts:

1. It's odd that you don't actually need to build a sphere at all to "win" the game. The power a sphere can provide can speed it up, but honestly if you have a tidal-locked planet with a good solar multiplier, you can just build a shitload of solar panels and tech to the end that way.

2. The win condition sure is anticlimactic. You research the last tech, and there's a pop-up, and that's it.

3. As of now there's not much replayability. It'd be nice to see a more diverse tree, with fewer bottlenecks and more ways to get to the same end. The rare resources help in that regard but there's too few of them, and some of them aren't worth going after much at all. Unipolar magnets in particular seem like a long way to go for hardly any payoff.

Anyway, it was enjoyable, hopefully the devs can add some depth.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Phanatic posted:

So I just finished this. Random thoughts:

1. It's odd that you don't actually need to build a sphere at all to "win" the game. The power a sphere can provide can speed it up, but honestly if you have a tidal-locked planet with a good solar multiplier, you can just build a shitload of solar panels and tech to the end that way.

2. The win condition sure is anticlimactic. You research the last tech, and there's a pop-up, and that's it.

3. As of now there's not much replayability. It'd be nice to see a more diverse tree, with fewer bottlenecks and more ways to get to the same end. The rare resources help in that regard but there's too few of them, and some of them aren't worth going after much at all. Unipolar magnets in particular seem like a long way to go for hardly any payoff.

Anyway, it was enjoyable, hopefully the devs can add some depth.

A Dyson swarm is just an inefficient, temporary version of a proper, finished Dyson sphere, and you need to have at least a swarm for your ray receivers, to make the photons you need to make the white cubes and "win" the game

You only truly win the game when you finally, at long last, create enough of those green fuckin' motors

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Literally Kermit posted:

A Dyson swarm is just an inefficient, temporary version of a proper, finished Dyson sphere, and you need to have at least a swarm for your ray receivers, to make the photons you need to make the white cubes and "win" the game

Do you really?

My receivers that I'd set to produce photons were at one point requesting considerably more power from my swarm than the swarm could provide, but with solar panels I was still net-positive. If my swarm were producing zero power, then would they have turned off?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I may be wrong about this, but I think ray receivers can only draw from a Dyson swarm/sphere, even when they're in photon mode. If you set them to photon mode without any swarm, they wouldn't function. The energy they consume while in photon mode must be supplied to them by other buildings (which may include ray receivers that AREN'T in photon mode, or from solar panels, or anything really). So, while your power supply wasn't dependent on the swarm, your photon supply was.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Finished my first game. I'd initially aimed to make a fancy sphere with multiple differently rotating layers of small triangles, alternating filled and empty. But that plan fell over from the sphere editor not doing well with such fiddly work. Placing the shells on just the first layer was a literal pain in my mouse fingers.

So I instead went for a less ambitious objective of 1 full T3 belt worth of rocket production so I could at least build that one layer, but sim speed started falling hard by the time I was working on the 5th forge world. Had to settle for mostly finishing my 2nd, simpler, sphere instead before researching the victory tech. Entire second sphere needed around 20% of the rockets that the innermost layer of the fancy sphere did.

About mid-way in construction

Current state

View from the 3rd planet

Views from the 1st planet

e: I'm not sure what causes the lag, but the long lines -style of factory setups I went with might have been too ambitious. I think I'll do a second playthrough once the game is out of early access and that time I'll try for something like self-contained factory complexes that take in raw materials and produce one or a few factories worth of some final product.

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 13, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Antimatter production and power finally kicked on last night. Now just a matter of the eternal scaling up of iron production to cover everything else, over and over again, and eventually getting enough spare antimatter for white research cubes. Then it's final research time.
45 hours in the save, think I'm hitting a burnout point fast.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ornedan posted:

Finished my first game. I'd initially aimed to make a fancy sphere with multiple differently rotating layers of small triangles, alternating filled and empty. But that plan fell over from the sphere editor not doing well with such fiddly work. Placing the shells on just the first layer was a literal pain in my mouse fingers.

So I instead went for a less ambitious objective of 1 full T3 belt worth of rocket production so I could at least build that one layer, but sim speed started falling hard by the time I was working on the 5th forge world. Had to settle for mostly finishing my 2nd, simpler, sphere instead before researching the victory tech. Entire second sphere needed around 20% of the rockets that the innermost layer of the fancy sphere did.

[pics]

e: I'm not sure what causes the lag, but the long lines -style of factory setups I went with might have been too ambitious. I think I'll do a second playthrough once the game is out of early access and that time I'll try for something like self-contained factory complexes that take in raw materials and produce one or a few factories worth of some final product.

Jesus Christ 5 forge worlds? How much material are you processing? Also, that is the most intricate sphere design I've ever seen.

I went to design my first sphere yesterday in prep for starting it. I did what I thought was a decently basic design, with some nice floral leaf patterns and such. Here's a couple images from the editor:

This one you can see the design a bit better on the bottom half. It's mirrored on top.

I was going to have the gap in the middle, like so:

But ended up closing it up with broad panels.

Total node count was, I thought, pretty good. Only like 160 or so. Then the game saved, and took noticeably longer to do so. Turns out adding in that sphere design took my save file size from this:

to this:

Deleting the design an hour or so later brought it right back down to size again. I... Think I'll just stick to as basic of a design as I can.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you can believe it that's actually the improved sphere save file compression.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Besides Factorio and Satisfactory, what (good) games are similar to DSP? Not that I'm done with it yet but I can see a time soon where I might consider it. Like, this is the only game I've played since mid February, I'd played maybe 2 hours of Factorio before and I never expected DSP to grab me like it did. What category of game is it?

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

zoux posted:

Besides Factorio and Satisfactory, what (good) games are similar to DSP? Not that I'm done with it yet but I can see a time soon where I might consider it. Like, this is the only game I've played since mid February, I'd played maybe 2 hours of Factorio before and I never expected DSP to grab me like it did. What category of game is it?

I lost about 40 hours to https://shapez.io

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

zoux posted:

Mindindustry is another, but neither it nor shape have the reach of Factorio/Satisfactory/DSP. These types of games take a lot of work. You could also try Autonauts or Factory Town for something less complex.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What about like Astroneer or Evil Genius 2? DSP ends up in the Management Games thread in Games but that seems to encompass a massive range of games from tycoon games to factory games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

zoux posted:

What about like Astroneer or Evil Genius 2? DSP ends up in the Management Games thread in Games but that seems to encompass a massive range of games from tycoon games to factory games.

Astroneer is even more chill than Autonauts or Factory Town. It's kind of like Minecraft with no combat (the plants will kill you however). It's fun but shallow I'd say.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

zoux posted:

The things that DSP has which Factorio doesn't boil down to, first, a 3D environment which the player inhabits third-person and moves around in (the latter part Factorio has with 2D). But much more importantly, and fundamentally related to the first, is the inherent vision of scale which the crew brought to their game from the beginning. It's a game about sucking everything useful out of planets which you hop between constantly, in order to build a machine larger than a god drat star, and it absolutely feels like that even under the early access rough edges and the UI stuff (and the soundtrack).

I don't know if I've ever encountered a game which marries "exploit raw materials, turn materials into things, turn things into more things, and pre-set systems to automatically move everything to where it's needed and not to where it's not" to this kind of scale, let alone in a 3D world where my arcology-sized construction mech feels like a loving speck lost in an ocean of unforgiving nothingness and I like it.

Oxygen Not Included is about using a relatively small number of colonists to construct ever-larger structures and ever-more-elaborate automation systems in order to interact with what basically amounts to a very simplistic finite element analysis simulation which your colonists live in. Grow plants so you don't have to process dirt into "mush bars," harness the power of flush toilets to turn clean water and sand into compostable polluted dirt and 'clean' water full of food poisoning germs that can be safely cracked into hydrogen and oxygen for lifesupport, tame volcanoes in order to harvest their heat for power and, by so doing, obtain a renewable source of almost-boiling-hot rock, launch rockets propelled by the bottled exhalations of the colony in order to dump robots and then colonists on the surface of asteroids whose interior composition you're only generally aware of!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mayveena posted:

Mindindustry is another, but neither it nor shape have the reach of Factorio/Satisfactory/DSP. These types of games take a lot of work. You could also try Autonauts or Factory Town for something less complex.

I will personally say that I didn't like Autonauts, it is more of a programming game than a factory game and it frustrated me more than it engaged me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

The things that DSP has which Factorio doesn't boil down to, first, a 3D environment which the player inhabits third-person and moves around in (the latter part Factorio has with 2D). But much more importantly, and fundamentally related to the first, is the inherent vision of scale which the crew brought to their game from the beginning. It's a game about sucking everything useful out of planets which you hop between constantly, in order to build a machine larger than a god drat star, and it absolutely feels like that even under the early access rough edges and the UI stuff (and the soundtrack).

I don't know if I've ever encountered a game which marries "exploit raw materials, turn materials into things, turn things into more things, and pre-set systems to automatically move everything to where it's needed and not to where it's not" to this kind of scale, let alone in a 3D world where my arcology-sized construction mech feels like a loving speck lost in an ocean of unforgiving nothingness and I like it.

Oxygen Not Included is about using a relatively small number of colonists to construct ever-larger structures and ever-more-elaborate automation systems in order to interact with what basically amounts to a very simplistic finite element analysis simulation which your colonists live in. Grow plants so you don't have to process dirt into "mush bars," harness the power of flush toilets to turn clean water and sand into compostable polluted dirt and 'clean' water full of food poisoning germs that can be safely cracked into hydrogen and oxygen for lifesupport, tame volcanoes in order to harvest their heat for power and, by so doing, obtain a renewable source of almost-boiling-hot rock, launch rockets propelled by the bottled exhalations of the colony in order to dump robots and then colonists on the surface of asteroids whose interior composition you're only generally aware of!

When I was still learning DSP I watched a bunch of Factorio youtubers who picked this up and became enamored of it, and I noticed they almost all played ONI too. I don't know about the automaton mechanic, but it sounds from your post that the progression is similar to DSP, if not nearly as grand. I think your dissection of the game in your second graf there nails the appeal though, the scale in this game is stunning.

I'm about to hit 600 hours and I'm on my 12th save and every time I start over I do tons better and learn more, so I'm not particularly bored with the game. Some days I get on like, sigh what am I even going to do and then suddenly it's bed time, so it's still compelling me, but y'all know what it feels like when you still want to play a game but can sense that you soon won't want to play it.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 13, 2021

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Peachfart posted:

I will personally say that I didn't like Autonauts, it is more of a programming game than a factory game and it frustrated me more than it engaged me.

A programming game can be a good time. Autonauts made it impossible for me to enjoy it though thanks to putting a convoluted method of copying programs behind hours of repetitious gameplay.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I really can't do programming games despite being interested in them. Really didn't enjoy playing while true learn() and stuff like that, especially after coding for hours at home already. Plus it makes me feel like I should be using my time to learn a real technology instead. Like I should just look at tensorflow docs instead of passing quests to buy virtual cat decorations.

I also bounced off factorio for almost the same reasons.

But DSP has really grabbed me and I would stay up playing it all night if I could. I love the sheer scale of it. It makes me feel accomplished after achieving a goal and it makes me want to keep going to destroy the galaxy's resources to build a super massive structure.

I'll add ONI to my steam wishlist and check it out after DSP.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The only thing I can't deal with in Factorio is trains, because I somehow always mess up how it works. Then again I haven't played in over a year so it is probably different now.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I decided to hop on for ~ 30 mins and do some minor jiggling to a supply line 2 and a half hours ago...

oops

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I decided to hop on for ~ 30 mins and do some minor jiggling to a supply line 2 and a half hours ago...

oops

Rip. I can only make it work if I have a hard deadline to stop by. (Example: hopped on for 10 minutes to adjust my power infrastructure today... and that's it, because waiting any longer I'd be late for work.l

On that note, power infrastructure has now taken over from iron as the devil holding me back. How are you guys managing power when your sphere is under construction? I have just shy of a gw of power draw on my home planet, bumping above 1 gw when I turn research on (all non white cube research is done and I'm not running an antimatter surplus to make white cubes). I've got 6 artificial suns feeding an accumulator exchange system from my Mercury, using the full power of my current sphere plus another 20% it still needs to build out, along with at least 60 or 70 deut rod reactors, probably 40ish active burner reactors running off spare products from my oil and coal plants (I can scale this up but 2 MW a pop is miniscule), and a farm of solar and wind panels all on my home planet. This still only cracks 80% or so of even non-research power draw and has me well capped out on rocket launches to expand further. How are people getting a high enough energy density when antimatter isn't ready to supply enough to run everything? I'd scale deut up further but my rod supply is starting to slow production for reasons I don't totally understand, and even then I'd still need to convert a wide spread of the planet just to power.

Thoughts/approaches?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i was able to manage power in my home system with nothing but a dyson swarm for a very long time. the material requirements for solar sails are simple compared to what you need for the sphere, especially if you have fire ice in your home system for easy graphene processing. Once I had 15 sails firing full time it was worth about a GW of power, which was more than enough room to get enough infrastructure together to start launching rockets.

if you don't have an ice giant in your starting solar system, it's worth finding the nearest star that does. it's an infinite resource and it reduces the need for graphite for graphene production, which means less stress on the thrice cursed supermagnetic coil assembly line

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Recognize that the railgun orbit targeting mechanic is stupid and unfun and doesn't make any sense and get the auto targeting mod, enjoy 4 GW of energy. Or build a poo poo load of fake suns and coat the poles of your planets in solar panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My home planet does actually orbit a fire ice giant that's fully tapped; my bottleneck on sails is just "getting them to merge with the sphere" right now. I've got a battery of 25 or so railguns launching half the time. Sphere's up to about 1.3 GW total right now. I actually can't process through my fire ife enough right now, either, thanks to the graphene surplus... More railguns might accelerate that but I'm not sure how the cap on sails merging is actually calculated.

Supermagnetic coils are hell to keep up with, but at least graphene isn't my stumbling block. (Green motors. Everything is either green motors, iron, or critical photons. Everything else not dependent on green motors or photons I have completely full storages of. Just those godforsaken motors eating all my iron and still not keeping up.)