Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

https://www.cultmotorcycles.co.uk/ourbikes/dog-lr87j
£7595 here.

Buy it here and ride it to Europe.

Huh, even with VAT and import duties I think it should be cheaper than buying one here. Good thing we don't have tax on motorcycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

As I was saying in the chat:

So today, prior to cleaning the Harley, I go to take the saddlebags off, hoping I can use the ratchet + a hex bit, get em off, and start cleaning. Pressure washer is lined up and ready to go, shampoo is mixed up in the foam bottle sprayer attachment, the compressor is ready and waiting to help dry the bike off and the rustproofer tin is lined up for the last thing that needs doing.

So, lets see what size bolt these saddlebag bolts are... They look 5ish...

5mm? no...
6mm? no, hmmm...
5.5mm? no...

I sigh and pull out the imperial allan keys; WTAF, they are loving 7/32" bolts.

:911:

So no, I can't use the ratchet as I have no imperial hex bit sockets, and nor do I have hex screwdriver bits either in imperial, so I can't use the electric screwdriver either with it's right angle attachment.

I can either ease out each bolt tiny rotation by tiny rotation of an allan key after inserting and reinserting it, probably spending a few minutes per bolt... Or, gently caress it, leaving them on for now and I'm going to clean around them.

3/8" imperial hex bit sockets ordered, along with imperial hex screwdriver bits.

Also, I looked for power ratchets but Bosch don't do any in 12v which is the 12v system I have. Not averse to other systems though, as long as I can get a decent deal... I checked Milwaukee m12, but it's almost £200 for the tool, batt and charger. gently caress that.

Gonna bid on some pneumatic 3/8" and 1/4" ratchets to use with the compressor, which are going for £22 for both on eBay just now, hope they don't get bid up too much.

... and yes, I cleaned the bike, dried it and rustproofed it.

I also cleaned the neighbour's car since he's a good lad and does me favours all the time.

Then I went for a ride, got a sandwich and some petrol.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How many times are you going to go on this emotional journey wherein you discover, yet again, that you have a Harley covered in imperial fasteners?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Hopefully not again...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fwiw the only metric things on your bike will be the fork and everything in it, as well as all the torx screws which have normal heads but still imperial threads.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Aye, the T27 bolts for the switch gear fortunately are metric torx heads, so discovered that.

Good to know about the forks.

I should order some imperial sockets. I have imperial wrenches, but sockets will be handy...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Iirc torx is a completely arbitrary standard so you only ever need one set of sockets whether the thread itself is imperial or not. At least I've never seen an imperial torx, I think the whole original point of them was they can ignore the existing metric/imperial standards.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao at everything but metric

Whitworth? More like Shitworth

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
They aren't "Imperial" fasteners, they are US Customary. aaaaaa

America had a whole war about this

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imperialist fasteners?!

In that case I claim metric as the working people's glorious soviet standard. Like an unstoppable tide of sensibleness, we will rise up and convert the whole world to metric. Slowly at first, one Harley at a time, until we're an irresistible force of reasonableness swallowing entire cadillacs whole and spitting them out as dozens of supercubs. Whitworth tools will be seized and destroyed, save for a small number for use in engineer reeducation classes.

Then, naturally, will come the infighting. The all-threads faction will attempt to split from the 8-10-12-14 orthodoxy, promoting their decadent, labour-slowing 7's, 13's and even 11's. Zealots will vigorously root out all traces of the devil inch - mandatory metric wheel diameters, metric spark plugs, metric goddamn headlight bulbs. Disgusting liberals will try to meet in the middle by arguing sometimes it's handy having a 13mm nut on a 12mm bolt cause you don't need duplicate spanners - naturally they get the wall.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Look I didn’t have to buy metric tools until I got a Ducati.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Imperialist fasteners?!

In that case I claim metric as the working people's glorious soviet standard. Like an unstoppable tide of sensibleness, we will rise up and convert the whole world to metric. Slowly at first, one Harley at a time, until we're an irresistible force of reasonableness swallowing entire cadillacs whole and spitting them out as dozens of supercubs. Whitworth tools will be seized and destroyed, save for a small number for use in engineer reeducation classes.

Then, naturally, will come the infighting. The all-threads faction will attempt to split from the 8-10-12-14 orthodoxy, promoting their decadent, labour-slowing 7's, 13's and even 11's. Zealots will vigorously root out all traces of the devil inch - mandatory metric wheel diameters, metric spark plugs, metric goddamn headlight bulbs. Disgusting liberals will try to meet in the middle by arguing sometimes it's handy having a 13mm nut on a 12mm bolt cause you don't need duplicate spanners - naturally they get the wall.

You have my axe.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Where can I buy a service manual for my Harley?

Would be nice to have one handy.

Haynes doesn't seem to do one for it.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Steakandchips posted:

What bike are looking for?

https://www.wisconsinharley.com/harley-davidsion-service-manuals/

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks for the link, but it didn't seem to have one for a Harley Fat Bob 2019 (part of the Softail lineup).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Try putting your vin in here https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/vehicle/lookupForm

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

You can buy one from the dealership. They’re something crazy like $180. In my experience the, uh, internet-available manuals are kind of lovely.

Here in the states we’re usually not allowed to fix our own poo poo, and on the off chance laws get passed allowing us to do that, the manufacturer generally provides the manuals at a steep price as a final “gently caress you.”

I was amazed to find my Ducati’s service manual online, because Italian. For my HDs I always had to buy them.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Will get my VIN and try.

Without it, searching leads to no service manuals.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Disclaimer: I can't recall the last time I looked in a manual for a Harley but I often need wiring diagrams and that vin portal has never let me down, even weird limited edition screaming chicken vrods all come up correctly, and the diagrams are fantastic.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fat Bob update:

1. The Harley heated grips do work a treat, and my previous fears of them "not being hot enough" were completely unjustified; they just take a bit of time to get warm that's all, as all of you rightly pointed out.
On max they will burn my palms (I keep them generally on setting 3 or 4 out of 6 when the outside temperature is 0C).

2. I've noticed no engine cutoffs ever since I turned off EITMS (single cylinder mode). Thank you Slavvy for telling me EITMS is useless in the UK, you were 100% correct.

3. There's been some black paint flaking off the bottom of the regulator/rectifier heat sink (that's what's under the oil cooler right?). There's also been some black paint flaking off from the bottom of the forks. I was drying the bike with the compressor + air gun (not at stupid powerful air output, i.e. I can put my hand in front of it just fine and not hurt myself) and some paint chips flew off from the bottom of the forks. WTF. The bike is kept clean and dry, so this is deeply unimpressive from Harley.

4. There's slight moisture under the speedo. Again, WTF Harley.

On points 3 and 4, I have asked Harley to fix them under warranty. While it's there, I'll be getting cruise control added for £350 or so. I've asked if I can borrow the LiveWire while they have Bob in the shop.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The forks flaking isn't great, definitely pursue that.

The RR flaking is normal and basically unavoidable unless you get a chrome one, they heat cycle so much, it'll happen again. There's a reason the japanese ones are bare alloy and hidden away somewhere.

Worth noting both of these things are exposed to road chipping constantly.

Speedo moisture is a bunch of bullshit though.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
It’s amazing they haven’t fixed the speedo moisture thing yet. I had that problem on my 2018 softail. All they’re gonna do under warranty is swap it for another speedo that will likely fog up in exactly the same place.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Is the mileage going to be wrong then on the new speedo, or can they program in the actual mileage of the bike?

If it's going to be wrong (i.e. starting from 0 again), I may as well keep the old speedo on if the new one will fog the gently caress up again.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

Is the mileage going to be wrong then on the new speedo, or can they program in the actual mileage of the bike?

If it's going to be wrong (i.e. starting from 0 again), I may as well keep the old speedo on if the new one will fog the gently caress up again.

Nah they have to take the bike, order a new speedo from HD programmed exactly to the mileage you currently have, install it, and then they'll give you the bike back.

I didn't have them do my '18 because they said it would take like a week and a half to actually get the part in and installed. And it'd likely just fog the gently caress up again.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
When I did my Sportster, the new aftermarket gauge came with a data cable to pull stored mileage from the ECU (or the old gauge, but I’m pretty sure it was off the computer and I really don’t care enough to look up the install)

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Speedo moisture is a bunch of bullshit though.

The only bike I've owned which didn't have moisture get in the speedo was my Buell. I didn't expect any better from KTM but even my Yamaha has condensation in there.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
When I had a G650X, they also had issues with speedo and moisture. The solution there was to take the speedo apart, spray some sealant on the circuit board, then liberally apply dielectric grease when putting it back together and that ended up working really well for me. I don't know how comfortable you are with doing something like that or what the actual issue is (seems like water getting in so maybe the issue is just sealing it better) but worth thinking about given where you are and how much rain you get.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:scotland:

I am not taking it apart myself.

Dealer's job, especially as it's under warranty.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have never had a gauge take on water. What are you doing to your bikes?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've rented half a dozen late model Sportsters, Heritage Software Classics, and Road Kings over the last 10 years, and the bottom of every gauge has always fogged up with moisture.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My KTM never had speedo moisture but it helpfully had Speedo Dust instead which was much worse.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have never had a gauge take on water. What are you doing to your bikes?

In the case of my Softail, riding it in the rain exactly once.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Older bikes having the speedo fog was common and honestly doesn't matter at all, they had a semi exposed sort of design so take a concrete pill and carry on, kid. I have never seen a Harley speedo fail, doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

The modern bikes have a sealed speedo you can't take apart just like the Vrod or any number of japanese bikes; there's no way any moisture should be able to get into a totally sealed unit so it's totally unacceptable.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Fat Bob update:

3. There's been some black paint flaking off the bottom of the regulator/rectifier heat sink (that's what's under the oil cooler right?). There's also been some black paint flaking off from the bottom of the forks. I was drying the bike with the compressor + air gun (not at stupid powerful air output, i.e. I can put my hand in front of it just fine and not hurt myself) and some paint chips flew off from the bottom of the forks. WTF. The bike is kept clean and dry, so this is deeply unimpressive from Harley.

Pics of paint flaking:

Speedo moisture pics coming up shortly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wouldn't even bother pursuing the rectifier if they haven't got one on the shelf, it is continually pelted with crap from the wheel.

Those forks are loving shocking though, wow. It's like the powder didn't stick for some reason.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strong puff of air and the paint flakes off. Air gun was making flakes fly off them when I was drying the bike. Fucks sake Harley.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The moisture in the speedo has cleared up by itself. This is good. I hope it doesn't come back.

Also, I now know I've put 1200 miles on the bike since November 2020. Woo!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I would not fault the paint on that rectifier cover. It’s getting constantly sandblasted every time you ride

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

The moisture in the speedo has cleared up by itself. This is good. I hope it doesn't come back.

Mine came back any time it was humid, but mine only covered the odometer. Hopefully yours does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mine covered where it says 6470, which is also the same area that tell you how many miles of fuel range you have left. Annoying if it reoccurs.