Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I’m using Rakarth Flesh pretty extensively for a current project and not having any issues with it, interestingly enough. Not sure if maybe that’s because it’s a new-ish pot or I just got lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cthulu Carl posted:

Cross-posting from the scale modelling thread because... Pretty sure these could be used in a dame, no problem:

I'm going to confirm that you are on the right track with your "impressionist" idea. When you're painting a small model, that will be seen from far away, don't use photos as references, use paintings. A realistic technical illustration like in an Osprey book is too detailed, you want to study where another artist made compromises between rendering fidelity - drawing one soldier at a time - and expression of the whole - painting a thousand at a time to show the effect in mass.

This is more of an issue at wargaming scales, and 1:3000 certainly is for ships, while at 15-20mm individual soldiers start to blend into the block of troops on the same base.

Take a look at the difference in detail between the foreground and background figures in these two paintings,

Napoleonic uniforms are such a riot of little details and tiny splashes of color that knowing what to ignore will save you hours on a small army. Painting a front row with more detail and going quick on the backrankers is an excellent compromise technique.

Very little of that applies to heroic 28mm, especially in kill teams, of which I am about to start two.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
You want miniature? I'll give you miniature. Xpost from the historical thread

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Definitely lost my mind. I have no idea how to make 2mm look good, but I have to admit I love the effect.

And I printed out a sled for it that I can put a label on to remember whose regiment it is!

Stand battalion of pike and shot, Royalists, ECW:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jesus gently caress, good job there.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
What is this, a miniature for ants?

Oh it is? Well done.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Painted some tongue-puppies

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Winklebottom posted:

I feel like GW's tutorials have gone downhill since Duncan left. I get that the tutorials can't get too advanced but that face is.... not good for a professional painter.

Isn't that the guy that opened the Ark?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TotalHell posted:

I’m using Rakarth Flesh pretty extensively for a current project and not having any issues with it, interestingly enough. Not sure if maybe that’s because it’s a new-ish pot or I just got lucky.
mine probably sucked because it came in a Start Painting kit, probably had been on the shelf for years before I opened it

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Still a WIP, enjoying a massive BFG resurgence in our community.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Red Herring posted:

Still a WIP, enjoying a massive BFG resurgence in our community.

Goddamn, that is tidy. Are you using oil washes?

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Winklebottom posted:

Goddamn, that is tidy. Are you using oil washes?

Thanks, just thinned out nuln oil and tidied up with apothecary white. Valejo Dead White is the secret ingredient.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Completed two additions to my 5 man motley crew Outrider combat squad: a Dark Angels Sargent and a Space Shark.

Making that a total of 3 so far alongside the Black Dragon biker.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I've got my first army done and I want to move onto basing. What do people recommend for sand?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I've got my first army done and I want to move onto basing. What do people recommend for sand?

I like this technique for creating a fine sand texture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL_xRxbxnbE

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

StashAugustine posted:

fine grit vallejo texture paste, then paint pale sand then drybrush a paler sand

https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-base-everything-beach-bases/

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I use Liquitex ceramic stucco effect medium for all my basing.

https://www.liquitex.com/us/products/professional/gessoes-mediums-varnishes/ceramic-stucco/

Has a good graininess without looking like they're walking on a gravel driveway, drybrushes easy, and is pretty adhering so if there's rocks or debris to add, I just set it in the wet medium.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I don't remember if it was in this thread or the scale modeling one, but I can't find it in either. Somebody had posted a quick tip about the ideal undercoat color for metallic paints. I think it was something like "use black for steel/aluminum paints, brown for gold/copper." Can anybody confirm?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Furism posted:

I don't remember if it was in this thread or the scale modeling one, but I can't find it in either. Somebody had posted a quick tip about the ideal undercoat color for metallic paints. I think it was something like "use black for steel/aluminum paints, brown for gold/copper." Can anybody confirm?

I can't source it, but I've heard that repeatedly. Specifically gloss for metallics.

Also, I believe Goobertown Hobbies discovered pink works as a good undercoat for yellow)orange?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cthulu Carl posted:

I can't source it, but I've heard that repeatedly. Specifically gloss for metallics.

Also, I believe Goobertown Hobbies discovered pink works as a good undercoat for yellow)orange?

You mean gloss varnish over the undercoat before applying the metallics?

For the pink vs yellow, if you're talking about the Goobertown video I think you are, it's a bit different because it's to apply yellow ink. The pink is great for undershadowing, I painted my whole Ironjawz army using this technique :)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Furism posted:

For the pink vs yellow, if you're talking about the Goobertown video I think you are, it's a bit different because it's to apply yellow ink. The pink is great for undershadowing, I painted my whole Ironjawz army using this technique :)

Gloss varnish might work, but I've heard it was gloss black under silver.

Not sure if the same principle applies to yellow metals, but for those I tend to do a coat of Vallejo Game Color Tinny Tin. It seems to do the trick.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I just used a pink base coat for some yellow feathers and it came out great

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I like this technique for creating a fine sand texture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL_xRxbxnbE

This is cool, I think I'm going to try this next large base I do.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Furism posted:

Nah just gloss black primer, or gloss black paint if out have it.

I recently got some gloss black primer and I kinda like it more than matte black because I can take a picture of it with a light on it and I know where all my highlights will go.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Red Herring posted:

Thanks, just thinned out nuln oil and tidied up with apothecary white. Valejo Dead White is the secret ingredient.

A gunpla technique for panel lining applies here. You put down a good layer of gloss coat before you do the washes. The excess wash will come up with a q-tip and maybe a little thinner, much less call for touchup with paint. As a bonus, if you get just the right amount of wash on your brush, capillary action will fill in the line for you. I knock most of the wash off on the side of the bottle and that does the trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T16MLd1f1X4

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
A good gloss coat given ample time to cure is my key to good recess shades

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Winklebottom posted:

The worst part of it is that they recommend 37 different paints for it (though that's a general GW tutorial problem).

This is why it took me over a year to even try and start painting. In the end I just asked friends for the minimum amount of paints I needed for a project.

Speaking of the minimum amount of Citadel paint, I have a relatively small collection of paints and I was wondering if there's anything I should include.

In no particular order I have:
Ushabti bone
Cadian fleshtone
Reikland fleshshade
Rhinox hide
Leadbelcher
Celestra grey
Abaddon black
Rakarth Flesh
Kantor Blue
Nighthaunt Gloom
Warboss green
Mephiston red
Retributor armor
Incubi Darkness

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Lucinice posted:

This is why it took me over a year to even try and start painting. In the end I just asked friends for the minimum amount of paints I needed for a project.

Speaking of the minimum amount of Citadel paint, I have a relatively small collection of paints and I was wondering if there's anything I should include.

What do you want to paint?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Everyone should try painting with just CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black). You'd be surprised how much creativity comes from a limited palette, and you end up with interesting and fun color combinations you wouldn't normally use.

With some minor exceptions these guys were painted almost entirely with acrylic gouache using CMYK (and white of course). It's also a great way to test out new paint brands, just pick up cyan, magenta, yellow, white and black (maybe a metallic too) and you should have a pretty good grasp of the qualities of the paint.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for entire armies or huge squads, but it's also possible to make your own batches of paint mixes in this way using just CMYK. I recommend giving it a shot on solo models.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Lucinice posted:

Ushabti bone
Cadian fleshtone
Reikland fleshshade
Rhinox hide
Leadbelcher
Celestra grey
Abaddon black
Rakarth Flesh
Kantor Blue
Nighthaunt Gloom
Warboss green
Mephiston red
Retributor armor
Incubi Darkness

A yellow of some sort would be extremely helpful.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lucinice posted:

Ushabti bone
Cadian fleshtone
Reikland fleshshade
Rhinox hide
Leadbelcher
Celestra grey
Abaddon black
Rakarth Flesh
Kantor Blue
Nighthaunt Gloom
Warboss green
Mephiston red
Retributor armor
Incubi Darkness

I'm not totally up on the current GW paint range names but my general advice is buy the paints you think you need for a project. Like if you are painting tyranids you probably need a purple, pink, and a selection of fleshy tones in general, but if you are painting ultramarines the pink and purple wont see that much use, and you'd definitely want a blue.

If you are looking to be project agnostic, from what I can see that looks like a decent start (decoding colours, correct me if I'm wrong we seem to have an ivory, a caucasian fleshtone, a brown, a gun metal, grey, black, I'll be honest I dont even know what a rakarth is but I have that paint so call it a beige-brown I guess, a blue, nighthaunt gloom seems to be a special effect paint broadly like hexwraith flame or nikhalath oxide, a green, a red, a gold and a turquoise. Good starting point. You're gonna need a white, I rarely use pure white on a figure myself (or pure black tbh) but its useful to lighten other paints/as a quick undercoat before painting a bright colour. A yellow will probably come in handy. I'd get a royal purple too, for robes and suchlike. You have a brown, I'd get another brown. If you have a figure wearing leather gloves holding a wooden spear its handy to have 2 paints which are different browns. A tan colour is handy too, particularly if you might want some figures to have blonde hair, an orange if you are planning on painting a lot of dwarf slayers or US convicts, but tbh you can probably just mix red and yellow for any small orange things most of the time.. I get more use out of brass than I do out of gold, but then I'm painting a lot of steampunky figures, your mileage may vary.

So, barring other factors I'd suggest: A white, a lighter leather brown, a yellow, a royal purple and a tan. That'd give you a pretty varied range for most projects I think, you can pick up other more niche paints as and when you find a need for them.

As we're spending your money, I'd chuck in another couple of washes; You have the fleshshade, I'd recommend Nuln Oil for a general purpose black wash, Agrax Earthshade for a dark brown wash and Seraphim Sepia as a sepia wash (particularly if you are going to be painting bone). Other brands do similar washes, you could go with army painter strong tone instead of earthshade for example, but the GW washes are in my experience pretty solid.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I wish I had started with oils. I paint most models with the same 4 tubes of paint.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Lucinice posted:

Ushabti bone
Cadian fleshtone
Reikland fleshshade
Rhinox hide
Leadbelcher
Celestra grey
Abaddon black
Rakarth Flesh
Kantor Blue
Nighthaunt Gloom
Warboss green
Mephiston red
Retributor armor
Incubi Darkness

Without a doubt my biggest regret was not starting with Vallejo. I'm sorta locked in on a few armies that I want to keep consistent, but yeah. The above instructional was a bit much.

Depending on your army, Agrax Earthshade is probably the best overall wash, far as utility

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Winklebottom posted:

What do you want to paint?

I have Warhammer Underworlds warbands to paint. I want to get them looking similar to their card art so I need a variety of paints.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Without a doubt my biggest regret was not starting with Vallejo. I'm sorta locked in on a few armies that I want to keep consistent, but yeah. The above instructional was a bit much.

Depending on your army, Agrax Earthshade is probably the best overall wash, far as utility
The reason I'm going Citadel paints is because I know people who use them and I haven't found a reliable place locally to get alternatives. But in your opinion what makes Vallejo the superior option?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lucinice posted:

The reason I'm going Citadel paints is because I know people who use them and I haven't found a reliable place locally to get alternatives. But in your opinion what makes Vallejo the superior option?

I've used both extensively and the paints themselves are basically the same. Some paints are better in one line or the other but on the whole both are pretty good. However, GW's flip-top paint cup thing is atrocious while Vallejo uses a far more sensible dropper bottle. For this reason alone most people prefer Vallejo, otherwise there is very little difference.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
There's a reason almost every single paint company uses dropper bottles, it's just a more sensible choice.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Also Vallejo are cheaper and you get more paint. The range is huge so you can buy any colour you need.

Agreed that CYMBK is a good place to start if you want to just mess around and paint a few models. I still go back to it when I'm just loving around mixing paints, but now that I'm batch painting I generally use pre-mixes for consistency and saving time.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My slightly :tinfoil: opinion is that GW's pots are intentionally bad. They aren't perfectly airtight, and paint will gum up the seal even more with use, so GW paints have a shelf life of a couple of years max before they go bad. Because so many people are entirely locked into GW's ecosystem this means they will sell a lot more paint.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Luckily contrast paints and washes don't gum up the seal that bad so those are the only GW lines I'll still get

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My painting life goal is to be able to do something at a fraction of quality of David Soper's Plague Marine and he used the same highlight and shadow colour across every shade he used to add cohesiveness to the colour scheme. If he can use one white and one purpley black on top of a single base colour then you don't need to buy 2-3 progressively lighter/darker shades of your base colours to get the job done. Just patience and practice with blending and mixing.

Yeah yeah he's a multiple Golden Daemon winner but don't feel like not having 35 paints for one model is holding you back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Geisladisk posted:

My slightly :tinfoil: opinion is that GW's pots are intentionally bad. They aren't perfectly airtight, and paint will gum up the seal even more with use, so GW paints have a shelf life of a couple of years max before they go bad. Because so many people are entirely locked into GW's ecosystem this means they will sell a lot more paint.

This makes sense, I have about 20 of the original type container washes and paints from the mid-90s that I still use. They lasted forever. I don't have a single one of the screw-off tops that came after.