Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Final thoughts,

Movies need to stop portraying my boy sasquatch as a rapist.

Also it's a movie shot in 2008 that didn't come out until 2016 so there's a scene where a guy used the screen of his flip phone for light which sure takes me back

Every time I see one of those BIGFOOT HUNTER shows on tv, they always say something like "We are using a mating call to try and draw him out!" so... a: how the gently caress did they get a mating call of a sasquatch to begin with, and b: it kinda makes sense a big horny bigfoot would run out and start trying to gently caress things if he'd been hearing a mating call for the last 48 hours, even if it was just in a blind rage from blue balls due to there not being a female sasquatch there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pilchenstein posted:

Why didn't they just make the loophole something impossible, like "he loses the soul and turns evil again if he's the guy who discovers cheese"?

So that the show can happen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pilchenstein posted:

Why didn't they just make the loophole something impossible, like "he loses the soul and turns evil again if he's the guy who discovers cheese"?

Because then it's not an imperfection, is it?

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Pilchenstein posted:

I didn't know I had cheese in the fridge. You could say, I just discovered some cheese.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"He loses his soul and turns evil again if he ever reaches the South Pole while wearing jorts on Good Friday during a total eclipse"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think you guys are missing the point of the torture. He's got a soul, he realizes what he did was horrible and nothing can make up for it. If he ever experiences happiness, he takes a chance on becoming that horrible monster again. Ergo, he spends his entire immortal existence miserable because he doesn't know when or if that one moment is gonna roll up and whoops now he's back to eating babies.

He's not it actively seeking to become angelus again, he's doing everything he can to not become him again. Dude's entire existence is just hell on earth.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Because Angel is the demon who did it. The original owner of the body didn't get returned to life when Angel was given a soul, and the point of the exercise was never to stop him being evil; it was to make him live forever with the constant torment of knowing he was a monster and caring about it.

The problem is that the writing isn't consistent about this at all. Angel regularly talks about the demon inside him as a separate entity, and in season 4 episode 10 they flat out have to bring back Angelus temporarily because he knows things Angel doesn't, which makes no sense according to established metaphysics (they should have the same memories, if nothing else). The worldbuilding is just really sloppy in general.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think you guys are missing the point of the torture. He's got a soul, he realizes what he did was horrible and nothing can make up for it. If he ever experiences happiness, he takes a chance on becoming that horrible monster again. Ergo, he spends his entire immortal existence miserable because he doesn't know when or if that one moment is gonna roll up and whoops now he's back to eating babies.

He's not it actively seeking to become angelus again, he's doing everything he can to not become him again. Dude's entire existence is just hell on earth.

He didn't know about the perfect happiness clause though. So basically the people who cursed him left a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. I think Jenny Calendar (I remember way too much about these shows I haven't watched in 15+ years) was supposed to be keeping him away from buffy once it became clear it was gonna be an issue but then that didn't go so well and she ended up with a snapped neck.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yeah, it's both extremely unlikely but also something he had to avoid, thus taking an active role in his own punishment.

If it was "don't do a handstand on the moon" he could relax knowing he'd never be evil again.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Torquemada posted:

So that the show can happen.
Not seeing this as a mark against my suggestion, to be honest :v:

Jedit posted:

Because then it's not an imperfection, is it?
Oh no, will the wizard police come to arrest you for not following the rules or something?

thebardyspoon posted:

I think Jenny Calendar (I remember way too much about these shows I haven't watched in 15+ years) was supposed to be keeping him away from buffy once it became clear it was gonna be an issue
A character only realising they should keep the senior citizen away from a high school girl because they found an ancient scroll full of terms and conditions or whatever is incredible writing.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

RCarr posted:

Prove it

You're just camping out in the Pacific Northwest and all of a sudden Bigfoot appears and he is hungry for booty. It's happened to me and many others!

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Cowslips Warren posted:

edit: I just saw on Facebook it is a loving 10 year anniversary of Game of Thrones. I can't believe it's been that long. So what was your jumpship moment for that series, where you went gently caress it, I am Out?

For me it was season 5 with the horrible Sand Snakes, the Dorne plot that had no point, oh, and Sansa and Ramsey because of course it makes total sense Littlefinger would just give her over to a psycho.

Watched it through to the end unfortunately, but this was about the point where I started saying that it was stupid and not very actively watching (on my laptop or phone during episodes). Even that I regret though, as I had yet to realize the depths of awfulness the show could achieve.
I should have known too as the show gets bad right around the same time the books do. After all that investment, I guess I wanted to see how it ended since GRRM is probably gonna die before g\he finishes writing.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In the episode of the Simpsons " Curse of the Flying Hellfish" Grandpa Simpsons tells Bart about his World War 2 squad who had a bunch of characters relatives in it. Chief Wiggum's father, Barney Gumble's father and Principal Skinner's father or grandfather(?). The Elder Skinner looks exactly like Principal Skinner, who is actually a man named Armin Tanzerian. Shouldn't the Skinner in the flashback have looked like Martin Short's character, who is the real Skinner descendant?

Boy , I sure hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grandpa Simpson has a poor memory, due to a wizard's curse

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Maybe the flashbacks are what Bart is picturing Abe's story as looking like.

FreudianSlippers posted:

"He loses his soul and turns evil again if he ever reaches the South Pole while wearing jorts on Good Friday during a total eclipse"

Total eclipses are impossible at either pole.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Exactly it's a loophole tighter than a gnats bunghole.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Spek posted:

Total eclipses are impossible at either pole.

Not a Bonnie Tyler fan, huh?

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Never heard of 'em

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pilchenstein posted:

A character only realising they should keep the senior citizen away from a high school girl because they found an ancient scroll full of terms and conditions or whatever is incredible writing.

Do we have a leering :joss: emote yet?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'm not a vampire, but I can't imagine what a centuries old unholy creature would see in any mortal, let alone a teenager. I mean, other than as a food bag or an egg sac.

Hanging around teenagers as a 44yo sounds tedious enough, but anyone living has got to be the teenager equivalent for a vampire.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Exactly what a vampire would say

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Avaunt, food bag. Your impertinent questions are answered by the finely stitched phrase that you see on my flowing black satin cape: I am not a vampire.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

poo poo. I mean more like oldunholyimmortalityless.

Yes, that will do.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

teenager. I mean, other than as an egg sac.

Scott Adams please calm down.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

*points at flowing satin cape

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Spek posted:

Maybe the flashbacks are what Bart is picturing Abe's story as looking like.

Is interesting when shows own up to this, Steven Universe has an episode where they're reading a historical journal and picture the author looking like a friend of theirs who's interested in amateur dramatics, and decide they prefer their version when they learn that the real person looked nothing like him. Also ties in with the show's premise of almost everything taking place from Steven's POV.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

thebardyspoon posted:

He didn't know about the perfect happiness clause though. So basically the people who cursed him left a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. I think Jenny Calendar (I remember way too much about these shows I haven't watched in 15+ years) was supposed to be keeping him away from buffy once it became clear it was gonna be an issue but then that didn't go so well and she ended up with a snapped neck.

They sort of explain that the point is vengeance/punishment. If he experiences "true happiness," then he is therefore no longer suffering and being punished, so the punishment is over. They only wanted him to have the bad parts of having a soul (the guilt,) not the good parts (being happy.)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Angel cranking one out, suddenly aw gently caress he's evil again

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thebardyspoon posted:

I think Jenny Calendar (I remember way too much about these shows I haven't watched in 15+ years) was supposed to be keeping him away from buffy once it became clear it was gonna be an issue but then that didn't go so well and she ended up with a snapped neck.

I really liked her character. drat shame it was a Whedon show, so she ended up fridged and immediately memory-holed.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Shouldn't the Skinner in the flashback have looked like Martin Short's character, who is the real Skinner descendant?

Now I want to see this. (Martin Sheen).

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Angel cranking one out, suddenly aw gently caress he's evil again

In the episode I mentioned earlier they trick Angel into his losing his soul again by making him hallucinate having sex with Cordelia. Dude really likes getting it on.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

drat shame it was a Whedon show, so she ended up fridged and immediately memory-holed.

Yeah a lack of long running female characters is a real issue with that show.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FightingMongoose posted:

Yeah a lack of long running female characters is a real issue with that show.

I was going to say I watched all of Angel and almost no Buffy so I have no idea who that character even was.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Game of Thrones:

Torquemada posted:

When the first four episodes of S4 leaked early, and I watched them and almost nothing happened. I would have been even more annoyed if I’d waited a month though.

Didn't Joffrey get killed off in the first or second episode? As a non-book reader, I was pleasantly surprised it was so early in the season, just because I was beyond done with the whole "wow Joff is a sadistic monster, how much more torture do we need to see from him?" poo poo, because it had gotten beyond repetitive long before that.

I was still on board until maybe the second to last season.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The spoilered bit is correct. Instead, they had Ramsay Bolton do more and more evil poo poo until it just became tiresome and almost comical. Except for the constant rape.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

In Disney's Cars, there is a popemobile, Pope Pinion IV. Why isn't it Pope Prius? (also, Jesus Chrysler, the Cartholic Church, etc.)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't think there has ever been a movie creator that has resonated with me less than judd apatow. Superbad was funny and I have a fond spot for Zookeeper just because of how awful it is, but the movies always leave me wondering "am I supposed to like or sympathize with ANY of these characters?". It's always just super drawn out melancholy and "i went through a thing and now i'm better and not the irresponsible drug addict guy anymore, everyone cry" ending.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He's a pretty lousy director. His best directed movie is, what? 40 Year Old Virgin?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The movie that triggered that post was king of staten island. He just reuses that "rear end in a top hat character annoys another rear end in a top hat character but then they apologize and realize they're not assholes except when they are" trope over and over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only movies that come to mind for him are 40 year old virgin, Anchorman, Walk Hard, and Talladega Nights. I loved those. I dunno what else he's done, but it hasn't even pinged my radar for rental, and I'm a whore for vod.