Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I wonder how this would have been received if Knull did not have such a direly unimpressive and stupid character. Would any of this have landed with a cool looking, well-designed badguy? I think it still would have been pretty bad but maybe not as bathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My strategy of only reading the X-Men tie-in issues of events has been paying off really well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I can't get over how BORING Knull looks. Like set everything else aside and just look at him. He's lame as hell.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

How Wonderful! posted:

I wonder how this would have been received if Knull did not have such a direly unimpressive and stupid character. Would any of this have landed with a cool looking, well-designed badguy? I think it still would have been pretty bad but maybe not as bathetic.

Probably not. Symbiotes as this galaxy spanning threat is stupid right from the start. You can’t make that cool when all anyone knows of symbiotes is Venom, Carnage, and.... also Venom but when Flash had it?

Do people/aliens/anyone else anywhere else show up with a symbiote in any other book? Like in Guardians or any of the space books?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I can't get over how BORING Knull looks. Like set everything else aside and just look at him. He's lame as hell.

While not as horrendously over designed as what they made, he reminds me a bit of that old video of McFarlane and Liefield designing a character in front of Stan Lee and Lee spending the entire time roasting them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I cannot get over the fact that the primordial god of entropy and the abyss just looks like a mid-aughts WoW badguy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Between Cates and Aaron, far too much of Marvel's creative direction is being led by bros who think 'poo poo that looks rad airbrushed on a van' is good enough.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I mean,

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

My strategy of only reading the X-Men tie-in issues of events has been paying off really well.

Wow, you seem pretty knowledgeable for a guy who just started reading comics in the last year or two apparently.

Really, Al Ewing made the right choice to just ignore King in Black basically in his Sword issues.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I cannot get over the fact that the primordial god of entropy and the abyss just looks like a mid-aughts WoW badguy.

I am still baffled how anyone could take the idea of "Venom symbiot God" and not arrive at some kind of eldritch abomination, much less something humanoid.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Knull looks like that lame redesign they gave Dracula around the most recent time he was fighting the X-Men. Just with a Venom glyph on his armor. It stinks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He's just Arthas from WoW with a dumbass Joker smile.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The symbiote who laughs

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Oh my God that's it exactly.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Well,

I’m the Knull, baby!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm the Knull-baby, gotta love me

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Knull is just Bloodscream but less interesting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The holy trinity of "I grew up reading RA Salvatore books and now I play WOW" bad designs.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
One of the only things I've enjoyed about KiB has been character's reaction to learning that Knull is associated with Venom.

"There's some space guy with space dragons attacking the entire planet! ... Wait, Venom? Like, the guy Spider-Man fights?"

Lurdiak posted:

The holy trinity of "I grew up reading RA Salvatore books and now I play WOW" bad designs.

I can't believe this story brought back a character that had a four-issue series, and nothing else, 13 years ago, and then killed them off immediately.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 12, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol it really is just dracula with the joker mouth

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

“That logo you’ve had for decades isn’t a spider. It’s a dragon with wings”

:wow:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

“That logo you’ve had for decades isn’t a spider. It’s a dragon with wings”

:wow:

Someone tell Spidey he's a loving fortune teller then for putting that logo on his costume when he was 15.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

El Tortuga posted:

I can't believe this story brought back a character that had a four-issue series, and nothing else, 13 years ago, and then killed them off immediately.

I guarantee Wraith was only brought back because Donny Cates thought he looked cool.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Knull could have been a cool concept. A symbiote god of darkness is pretty metal, but it just ends up coming across as both overwrought, and undercooked somehow.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

El Tortuga posted:

Someone tell Spidey he's a loving fortune teller then for putting that logo on his costume when he was 15.

Julia Carpenter was wearing it on a non-symbiote costume first!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

If I was walking down the street in the Marvel Universe and saw a guy with pauldrons I would take off running in the opposite direction. They're never good news.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah the OG Spider-Man suit has a very different logo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

If I was walking down the street in the Marvel Universe and saw a guy with pauldrons I would take off running in the opposite direction. They're never good news.

Why would you hurt Darkhawk's feelings like that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's another thing, both in DC and Marvel. When you see a guy in a weird costume, how are you supposed to know if it's a superhero you haven't heard of who's just going by and patroling or maybe is gonna land and buy a hot dog, or if it's a crazy person who's about to blow up half the city for not being into astrology. Seems stressful.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
can't remember which book it was in, but there's a great line about even if it's a hero you know, if you see somebody in a costume, even if there's no trouble now, there's about to be

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Apparently Thor's hammer lost its enchantments for some reason in whatever Thor book is going on (or Avengers?), so the Hammer thing isn't terrible. I liked the Captain Universe stuff tbh!

Now, what they did to the Sentry....

It's a shame that literally everyone in New York (and the rest of the world??) died though. It happens.

Also, did Black Knight's sword end up not being important at all??? I haven't read issue 4/5 of Smybiote Spider-Man, so maybe it's explained there, but in the first few it was built up to be something they needed. In the solo oneshot too IIRC.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 12, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What higher up at marvel has a bug up their rear end where they think swords are just the coolest thing and every book should talk about them?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
while you were reading comics, akira yoshida was studying the blade

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Knull's dead, Cates' Venom is over as is Eddie Brock as Venom and Flash is back

so in the end King in Black accomplished some good things

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

site posted:

can't remember which book it was in, but there's a great line about even if it's a hero you know, if you see somebody in a costume, even if there's no trouble now, there's about to be

Not disparaging the book you’re thinking of, but this was something Dan Didio said once around the start of New 52 I think and I hated it. “If Superman walked into a room, everyone would be making GBS threads their pants!” No they wouldn’t because it’s loving Superman! It’s like saying people would be terrified of Tom Hanks because of Klaus Kinski.

I know this is the wrong thread and discussion for this but it still irritates me.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Now Klaus Kinski in pauldrons? I'm buying a bus ticket. I'm starting over in a new town.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i bet seeing superman irl would be pretty cool but i'm not gonna pretend i wouldn't be a little worried that him showing up means some rear end in a top hat is about to explode out of a building wall nearby

unless it's for some explicitly planned pr thing, but ya know, that's when lex luthor drops a new toy and stuff so

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do people/aliens/anyone else anywhere else show up with a symbiote in any other book? Like in Guardians or any of the space books?

Space Black Panther had one

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There was also a Shi'ar Imperial Guardsman with a symbiote if memory serves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Blockhouse posted:

Knull's dead, Cates' Venom is over as is Eddie Brock as Venom and Flash is back