Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Relin posted:

man night trap sucks. i guess youre supposed to replay it ad nauseum to see all the scenes but the constant flipping away to deal with augurs is annoying. i watched the scene congress flipped out about and rolled my eyes. setting aside contemporary slasher flicks, NT was much less violent than even contemporary games! i wish it had helped the sega cd more

Reactionaries are gonna react. IIRC, the game's mechanics were mis-characterized and were stated that the player was the one carrying out the killings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Night Trap is kind of legendary with how loving terrible the "game" part is, uts hard because of how bad the interface is really.
I grabbed and started playing Paradise Lost, where you are playing a kid exploring a weird Nazi bunker trying to figure out some stuff about your family. Im gonna consider it horror because the devs dont shy away from the monstrous nature of the Reich, theres definetly a lot of letters and memos talking about the heinous poo poo they got up to. The entire setting is pretty horrific, but the exploration part is nicely done so I am enjoyng it for the most part I guess?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DreadUnknown posted:

Night Trap is kind of legendary with how loving terrible the "game" part is, uts hard because of how bad the interface is really.
I grabbed and started playing Paradise Lost, where you are playing a kid exploring a weird Nazi bunker trying to figure out some stuff about your family. Im gonna consider it horror because the devs dont shy away from the monstrous nature of the Reich, theres definetly a lot of letters and memos talking about the heinous poo poo they got up to. The entire setting is pretty horrific, but the exploration part is nicely done so I am enjoyng it for the most part I guess?

Thanks for bringing Paradise Lost to my attention, alt-history WWII stuff is extremely my jam and exploring a spooky bunker sound rad.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Xenomrph posted:

Thanks for bringing Paradise Lost to my attention, alt-history WWII stuff is extremely my jam and exploring a spooky bunker sound rad.

Seconded :yayclod:

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Youre welcome!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Guys

GUYS

I’m replaying Dead Space and you know what?

I.... I think it might still be a good game.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Xenomrph posted:

Guys

GUYS

Every so often I remember that Calliso Protocol is happening and it briefly brightens my day.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Guys

GUYS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkRnMopiAww

This was posted a couple weeks ago and is loving evil for getting my hopes up.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Xenomrph posted:

Guys

GUYS

DS1 is okay, but Dead Space 2 is legitimately fantastic and imo on par with maybe the 2nd-best tier of Resident Evil games in terms of action-oriented horror.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DS1 and 2 both own but in different ways, I love them both.

I also really liked the myriad tie-in media and how a lot of it referenced each other.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

oldpainless posted:

Been playing Visage recently but it’s just so goddamn clunky with the inventory and how you interact with stuff while holding things. I still really like it tho

I played it for one session and gave up because I got stuck.
it almost gives me what I wanted from the whole pt / silent hills thing but its clunkiness is too much.
also I only did one section and the breaker went off like 4 times which made things super tedious.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dead Space is what Doom 3 wanted to be.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Doom 3 crawled so that Dead Space could run... out of the monster closet

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I liked Doom3 a lot. :shobon:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I saw a video on YouTube a while back where the head guy from dead space was talking about development, and you can just tell dude really loved making a scary game. I'm optimistic about Callisto Protocol.

Here we go: https://youtu.be/BQ3iqq49Ew8

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
My favorite monster in DS1 is the clumsy necromorph somewhere offscreen that keeps dropping wrenches

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I saw a video on YouTube a while back where the head guy from dead space was talking about development, and you can just tell dude really loved making a scary game. I'm optimistic about Callisto Protocol.

I had to look up Callisto Protocol.

quote:

The Callisto Protocol is an upcoming third-person survival horror game scheduled for release in 2022. The game is being developed by Striking Distance Studios, founded by Glen Schofield, who had previously co-created the Dead Space series.

Looks promising could be the spiritual secessor to deadspace. Time will tell.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I have no idea how they made a game set in PUBG universe look pretty promising as a horror game, but here we are.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
This feels like a fever dream. Have I been binging on cough syrup again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5YuS59sQe0

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
This looks promising!
https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1379896498834530304?s=19

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Read After Burning posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5YuS59sQe0

What the gently caress?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What the gently caress?

April 1st

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
April 1st but by the same token, that dev (I think it's just two brothers) has been making weird surrealistic Seinfeld stuff in Dreams for a while.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Honestly for me the weirdest thing in that trailer, fake or not, is seeing a Tim Horton's.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, I think it's real.

https://twitter.com/RareBirdGames/status/1378178371314577410

https://www.patreon.com/posts/sinfeld-trailer-49497138?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=postshare

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

God help me, I'm doing Daymare 1998.

There are a couple neat things in here, but on the whole this is... really a slog. I don't know which is worse; the gameplay or the dialogue.

It's like a Resident Evil fan mod by people who don't actually understand the things that make Resident Evil cool.

I like that some effort went into the story, but that can't change the fact that it feels like it was written by a very earnest 13 year old.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Danknificent posted:

God help me, I'm doing Daymare 1998.

There are a couple neat things in here, but on the whole this is... really a slog. I don't know which is worse; the gameplay or the dialogue.

It's like a Resident Evil fan mod by people who don't actually understand the things that make Resident Evil cool.

I like that some effort went into the story, but that can't change the fact that it feels like it was written by a very earnest 13 year old.

From the talentless hacks who brought you Hatred and that game where you mow down brown people with a turret!

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

God, the nonstop references in this game are really bugging me. This might be the most uneven experience I've ever had in a game. The game is bad, but there is some seriously good stuff in it--and we're constantly distracted from those good things by the much more plentiful terrible things. Ugh. I'll finish it.

I think it's really telling that literally every five seconds as I play this it's like... why would anyone play this when they could play the actual RE2 remake?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

DOUBLE POSTERINOS Oh my god I just finished Daymare and like... dude. I got to the ending cutscene and I was like OH poo poo FINALLY THIS BS WILL PAY OFF? GENUINELY INTERESTING WRITING?

No. The joke was on me. The game was like LOL NO.

Dude. Too much effort went into that game to give the full thumbs down, but goddamn what an obnoxious game.

At the end of the day it's like... dude, just play RE2make. What a mess.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It was worth it for the Shyamalan-esque twist where I thought all along you were talking about a lovely 1998 RE clone, only to realize at the last second it was a lovely 2019 game set in 1998 :aaaaa:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is Little Nightmares 2 worth full price?

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Danknificent posted:

At the end of the day it's like... dude, just play RE2make. What a mess.
As much as I like RE2make and as good as the REengine is that washed out flashlight always on look is something I'm already tired of seeing even taking into account the presumed shittiness of daymare.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

oldpainless posted:

Is Little Nightmares 2 worth full price?

Did you like the original? Because it plays very similarly—including the relatively short run time—if that helps provide some frame of reference.

I don’t regret buying it for full price, but it’s something you can reasonably knock out in a day.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Spoilers for a type of enemy/boss in Little Nightmares 2:

The teacher. :stonk: gently caress no!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Replaying Cryostasis

i fukkin love this janky piece of poo poo

boat cold

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Replaying Cryostasis

i fukkin love this janky piece of poo poo

boat cold

where the gently caress did you get a copy of that game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Buying it years ago?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Cryostasis is great. I got it on steam. Is it not there anymore?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It got delisted in like 2013 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think I have a copy on GOG.