Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Blinkz0rz posted:

Miss me with that. Folks can have different ways of approaching a shared vision without the vision implying homogeneity. Diversity of thought is crucial and it's absolutely important to include and accept the loud, opinionated person as part of the process. It's also crucial to ensure that they don't drown out everyone else.

Okay. How? Can you give an example? You didn’t answer my previous question about this either (maybe you didn’t see it though). It’s no use to say “well the nitpicker is a white dude so he’s bad”, that’s just an opinion which gets us further away from the apparent goal of accepting him. I really want to know what “accepting” the adversarial (i.e. enjoys giving and receiving tough critiques) teammate into an existing non-adversarial team concretely looks like. I’m finding it very hard to imagine a way to do it where neither side feels criticised, devalued or excluded.

e: vv right, the “any color of car so long as it’s black” team. All personalities welcome! As long as you keep your personality within the bounds of these guidelines!

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Managing a team of wildly different personalities such that everyone communicates productively is a hard problem. I imagine it would take mediation in the short term and setting some team expectations and ground rules for communication in the long term.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Jose Valasquez posted:

Are you this aggro when dealing with your team? You're the only one being aggressive in this conversation. Chill out

Very aggressively asserting that all teams except for his are toxic is sort of Blinkz0rz's whole gimmick.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Blinkz0rz posted:

Now let's talk about how the "hostile nitpicker" is usually just a white dude

Sure, but the person with the exact opposite approach is also usually just a white dude in this industry.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
In a call a little while back with a few of us devs and our manager, someone asked me if I could just quickly review a 1000+ line commit in code I wasn't familiar with, you know, just so he could push it to QA.
I said no, I don't have time today to properly code review that, but I can promise it by the end of the week.
Other dev makes a stark point out of the fact that code review isn't a serious thing - just checking for typos and stuff.
Manager does not weigh in on this.

Other dev a week later gave notice to go work for MSFT.

I do not understand this industry.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Cuntpunch posted:

In a call a little while back with a few of us devs and our manager, someone asked me if I could just quickly review a 1000+ line commit in code I wasn't familiar with, you know, just so he could push it to QA.
I said no, I don't have time today to properly code review that, but I can promise it by the end of the week.
Other dev makes a stark point out of the fact that code review isn't a serious thing - just checking for typos and stuff.
Manager does not weigh in on this.

Other dev a week later gave notice to go work for MSFT.

I do not understand this industry.

Sounds like institutionally broken process that other dev rightly :sever:ed from :sun:

Alternate take: interviews don't select for your ability to participate in good process :sun:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

this is a vaguely good excuse to shoehorn in a gem of a tweet that came up in an "ask an employee" thread over the weekend

https://twitter.com/QuinnyPig/status/1377786299285864448

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

ChickenWing posted:

Sounds like institutionally broken process that other dev rightly :sever:ed from :sun:

Other dev was the loudest proponent of 'implementing better code reviews' relative to the previous standard, which I walked into, of "rubber stamping"

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

thotsky posted:

Sure, but the person with the exact opposite approach is also usually just a white dude in this industry.

That's true but I'm not sure what you're trying to get at beyond the demographics of the industry.

Plorkyeran posted:

Very aggressively asserting that all teams except for his are toxic is sort of Blinkz0rz's whole gimmick.

Sorry, who are you?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Excuse me, his gimmick is insisting that his team is uniquely bad fit for remote work. Keep it together!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Did you know habitual git squashing developers are mostly just white dudes?

Makes you think...

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

thotsky posted:

Makes you think...

Agreed, I think having all 75 commits with the message "TICKET-000 chagnes refracted" really preserves the intent of the author.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

thotsky posted:

Makes you think...

I'm starting to think white dudes are overrepresented in this industry!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Agreed, I think having all 75 commits with the message "TICKET-000 chagnes refracted" really preserves the intent of the author.

I need you to understand the transition from "refactoring" to "some more refactoring"!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"work plz"

ah, the commonalities between commit messages and performance reviews

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

thotsky posted:

I need you to understand the transition from "refactoring" to "some more refactoring"!

What about, "trying something" followed by "didn't work, trying something else"?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

"triggering pipeline"
"re-running pipeline"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So you add a pre-commit hook that requires properly formatted commit messages and you end up with....

fix(*): fixes

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
NOJIRA: WIP

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Sagacity posted:

NOJIRA: WIP

Tokyo really got it in this one before gamera managed to take him down

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

REBASEME
REBASEME
REBASEME
REBASEME
[JIRA-123] implement feature
Merge branch "cw/jira-123/feature" into "main"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Some guy at work (who is not my boss so I don't report to him): "Can you help me get all of this data processed for a call with a client in 2 hours?"

Also that guy: "Can we have a status call in 15 minutes?"

Do you want your data processed or not, dude?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Some guy at work (who is not my boss so I don't report to him): "Can you help me get all of this data processed for a call with a client in 2 hours?"

Also that guy: "Can we have a status call in 15 minutes?"

Do you want your data processed or not, dude?

'No.' is a complete sentence.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Drives me crazy when a reviewer gets hung up on some implementation detail and wants to "wouldn't it be better to ___" without pointing out anything actually wrong with the one I already used.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

brand engager posted:

Drives me crazy when a reviewer gets hung up on some implementation detail and wants to "wouldn't it be better to ___" without pointing out anything actually wrong with the one I already used.

As our junior has gotten more experienced I've had to check myself on this more often when doing code review. Like is my way objectively better, or just a different way that I would've done it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

prom candy posted:

As our junior has gotten more experienced I've had to check myself on this more often when doing code review. Like is my way objectively better, or just a different way that I would've done it.

I've gone through something similar the half year or so, with fresh eyes on old problems leading to different (and sometimes better) solutions than I would have come up with. I've got about 7 years of experience in a pretty narrow field, so it was humbling at first. I decided early on to leave my ego at the door during those discussions and just look at the objective facts. It has helped me become a better engineer, and our customer is super happy :sun:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

prom candy posted:

I think this is my current biggest issue - I really find it hard to find the line between "this is objectively more readable" vs "I just like to write this way". This has been put into harsher light having moved from a team that was very focused on a very common code style to a team with another Sr. that has radically different opinions on clean code/readability than I do.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I sometimes feel super conflicted because there's stuff that I just really don't like but my coworkers use every time, e.g. one-letter variable names.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

For nitpicky stuff that doesn't significantly affect function or future maintainability, I will sometimes leave a comment like "X might be better here" but approve the PR.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Pedestrian Xing posted:

For nitpicky stuff that doesn't significantly affect function or future maintainability, I will sometimes leave a comment like "X might be better here" but approve the PR.

That's what I do too, but it still makes me feel like an rear end. I don't know how people will take it.

Deffon
Mar 28, 2010

Leaving suggestions has worked well for me.
It has lead to good discussions with junior devs who appreciated learning something new. It has also lead to humbling moments when I proposed solutions that others thought were overly complex with little benefit.

Junior devs in my team usually make a lot of "nitpicky" mistakes, so at a certain point in the review, I stop pointing out when their bigger review fixes contain these mistakes. I feel that they would otherwise lose motivation when almost every change they make has a mistake. This problem has solved itself over time anyway.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In my experience, if someone is just making constant small mistakes, they are probably rushing and not even reviewing their own code before opening the PR. Giving a ton of nitpick comments isn’t really addressing the root cause, just wasting the reviewers time.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

smackfu posted:

Giving a ton of nitpick comments isn’t really addressing the root cause, just wasting the reviewers time.

Agreed, nitpick comments can be really exhausting to deal with since you're putting a lot of responsibility onto the contributor and still consuming as much of your time as is possible in this process for filing them.

IMO: Never nitpick, there is either a code style issue or there is not. Highlight the errant code and provide either mention of, or a direct link to, the style guide that mandates an alternative approach. If there is no style guide, I wouldn't waste my time trying to create an implied one in pull request comments, there are better forums for that.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Where/how do you objectively draw the line between a nitpick and something you feel is going to hurt maintainability / the ability for people to quickly make sense of code 3 years from now?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

What I'm looking to give/receive from code review is not "12 rats says this looks good to him", it's "12 rats certifies that this code meets the standards and guidelines set out in <team documentation> to the best of his knowledge".

My "I think this pattern is a bad idea, and the codebase should be structured in this way" feelings go to meetings where we discuss and maintain the style guide. Code review is decoupled from that process so that we can all do it faster and more predictably. If you work in a shop under a heavily compliance burden you will also often find satellite processes orbiting code review, in particular, I used to have to check a box saying "I thought about these changes as they relate to <each letter in STRIDE threat model> and found no issue with them".

If I were clogging that process up with comments about, for example, nested for loop vs nested list comprehension, I would be spending too long in code review which is a double offense in that it wastes my own time as well as the time of the contributor.

It's much easier to just copy paste "All strings should be double quoted" out of the guide on my pull request comments and then move on, even if I don't necessarily agree with always using double quotes or care one way or the other.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 12, 2021

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

12 rats tied together posted:

It's much easier to just copy paste "All strings should be double quoted" out of the guide on my pull request comments and then move on, even if I don't necessarily agree with always using double quotes or care one way or the other.

Ideally this kind of static analysis / linting should be handled by CI/CD so it's all taken care of before a human has to even look at a PR. Having a robot say nahhhh doesn't hurt anybody's feelings and it's consistent.

There's a couple of teams here that have an emoji-code that they use before any PR comments that describe the intent / severity / "tone" of a comment so there's a less ambiguity and you don't have to do a lot of couching. Plus there's an explicit emoji for nitpicking for when you just neeeed to say something but it's not a blocker. (Kinda like this: https://github.com/erikthedeveloper/code-review-emoji-guide)

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

JehovahsWetness posted:

Ideally this kind of static analysis / linting should be handled by CI/CD so it's all taken care of before a human has to even look at a PR. Having a robot say nahhhh doesn't hurt anybody's feelings and it's consistent.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was (obliquely) getting at: style nitpicks are in the linter (fed by configuration generated from documentation). They'll never make it to PR unless the contributor is appending "ignore this" annotations to their code or if they found an incantation that confused the linter, both of which are real issues with concrete and definable paths forward instead of "nitpick, you can ignore this, which means you now have to decide whether or not to ignore this".

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I like nitpicks, as long as they are reasonably constructive and clearly labeled as such. A "hey, if you slightly restructure this, you can mark this whole thing as const" is useful to me. Of course there are not useful nitpicks... "I think this should be called ComputeCosts and not CalculateCosts" is very likely an example of such.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
The obvious answer here it to tailor code review to the team culture, the code standards and the individual, but I think when it comes to junior engineers, give them enough rope to really hang themselves later. The experience of actually trying to maintain unmaintainable code is way more powerful than someone saying, 'this is difficult to maintain'.

Ideally a more junior engineer is on a project where scuffed code isn't that big of a deal, as long as it works. Let them make their own design and architectural decisions and let them do a really bad job. When it comes to maintenance and updates, I'd put them on point for it and let them scrub their own work. Actually having to work through your own mess is such a strong motivation to write better code. It also gives you a lot of personal perspective on what 'good code' actually looks like, and more often, what 'bad code' looks like. I don't think it's particularly helpful to say the words to people unless you are willing to explain in detail why a certain pattern is superior. Even then, I think a complete understanding of those ideas is not well attained unless you experience it first hand. This has been how we've trained up new engineers and the results have been very positive - we end up with people that not only know how to better architect systems, but also know why they want to do it a specific way and can speak to it technically in a way that is tempered by real experience.

Let your engineers write bad code more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
We culturally prefix nitpicks with "Nit:" in the comment text and interpret this as "I really don't care if you change this or not, but did want to bring this to your attention in case it was unintentional"