Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

empty whippet box posted:

IRS website says 3 weeks to get your return after filing - it's been two, so I'm not surprised it's not in yet, but anyone filed in the last month get theirs yet? Just wondering if it'll be slower than usual due to backlog or what.
It depends on what happens after you file your return. If everything checks out you should get your refund within the three week timeframe. If there's anything on there that gets the return flagged for a manual review (such as having to double check a Recovery Rebate Credit claim in some cases or income not matching up with the W2s filed by employers are a couple of the common ones) it can take a lot longer than usual as the submission centers are really far behind in processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Some potentially good news for you preparers who had filers with unemployment income. The IRS has announced they will be making the adjustments for the taxes on already-filed returns.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-may

It's going to go in phases with the Single filers first and the Joint filers and more complex returns later in the year. This will only adjust for the taxes charged on the unemployment income, so if there are other changes such as a filer being eligible for more of an EIC as a result of the income adjustment you'd still need to file an amended return to claim that.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
What's the correct way to fill out line 7 on form 1040 if you do not have any capital gains?

I have none, so I put 0 into the entry column and check the box indicating that I do not need to file a schedule D or form 8000 whatever but my return is getting rejected with an error citing my AGI is wrong (I double checked that, it is entered correctly) or line 7 on form 1040 is incorrect because the box is checked.

Am I supposed to not enter anything into the column instead of a 0? When doing this by hand I have always entered -0- for null entries, but that doesn't seem to be an option with free filing.

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

freezepops posted:

What's the correct way to fill out line 7 on form 1040 if you do not have any capital gains?

I have none, so I put 0 into the entry column and check the box indicating that I do not need to file a schedule D or form 8000 whatever but my return is getting rejected with an error citing my AGI is wrong (I double checked that, it is entered correctly) or line 7 on form 1040 is incorrect because the box is checked.

Am I supposed to not enter anything into the column instead of a 0? When doing this by hand I have always entered -0- for null entries, but that doesn't seem to be an option with free filing.

Don't check the box. That box means you have capital gains but you qualify for the exception that you don't have to complete schedule D (e.g., your only line 7 income is reported to you on a 1099-div).

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help, resubmitted and hopefully it goes through.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Just for the record, you don't need to worry about filling in 0's on blank lines if you're doing a return by hand -- all blank lines are treated as 0 by default in transcription, so there's no need to put in 0's, strike them out, or whatever. (I feel like handwriting 0's may actually be a little worse for transcribers than just leaving the lines blank, in fact; it makes the paper busier and can potentially lead to mis-transcription if your handwriting isn't great and something looks like a real line entry.)

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Peyote Panda posted:

Some potentially good news for you preparers who had filers with unemployment income. The IRS has announced they will be making the adjustments for the taxes on already-filed returns.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-may

It's going to go in phases with the Single filers first and the Joint filers and more complex returns later in the year. This will only adjust for the taxes charged on the unemployment income, so if there are other changes such as a filer being eligible for more of an EIC as a result of the income adjustment you'd still need to file an amended return to claim that.

Does this explain the tomfoolery that I've been experiencing with filing through Freetaxusa and turbotax? I wouldn't expect them to make changes to their system without :siren: Your return amount may be changing :siren: notices posted on their sites and emails.

About a month ago, I started filing with FreeTaxUSA, My wife was certain we shouldn't have gotten a bigger return so 2 weeks later i put our info into turbotax to check and she was right, but when I logged back into FTUSA, we were getting back significantly more (I hadn't changed anything since I logged off the last time).

Now today I went back to see if I could find more info to put into FTUSA to see if I could make them match, but now TT and FTUSA are very close in the return amount. Again, i haven't added any information to either since I logged off last time.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Quabzor posted:

About a month ago, I started filing with FreeTaxUSA, My wife was certain we shouldn't have gotten a bigger return so 2 weeks later i put our info into turbotax to check and she was right, but when I logged back into FTUSA, we were getting back significantly more (I hadn't changed anything since I logged off the last time).

Now today I went back to see if I could find more info to put into FTUSA to see if I could make them match, but now TT and FTUSA are very close in the return amount. Again, i haven't added any information to either since I logged off last time.
It's possible that's what happened if you had unemployment income. The unemployment income tax waiver process just got finalized in the last few weeks and the changes get rolled out to each tax preparation vendor separately, so one could have been updated sooner than the other. There should be an option to see the tax return forms themselves (the tax prep software basically uses the information you put in to fill out the forms for electronic submission). You could look at those to see if anything changed (in particular, if it was the unemployment income tax waiver, you'd see an adjustment to income on line 8 of Schedule 1).

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peyote Panda posted:

It depends on what happens after you file your return. If everything checks out you should get your refund within the three week timeframe. If there's anything on there that gets the return flagged for a manual review (such as having to double check a Recovery Rebate Credit claim in some cases or income not matching up with the W2s filed by employers are a couple of the common ones) it can take a lot longer than usual as the submission centers are really far behind in processing.

guessing that means since I filed taxes on my business, that means my return will take 3-6 months :\ really sucks because we're at the stage of borrowing money based off our expected tax return because we're desperate as gently caress and hope it comes in soon, so I guess soon we'll be at the stage of telling a lot of people we don't know why it hasn't come in.

I don't really know what to do at this point. I have absolutely no hope of it coming in at anytime this year anymore. oh well. I did my best. I wish I could just loving get hit by a bus and not worry about this anymore

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 6, 2021

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Does it mean anything if your transcript as of date changes to a future date Friday morning, and then reverts back to the original in the afternoon? Mine does this weekly.

And is there a difference between “still processing” and “we have received your return and it is being processed?

Thanks friend. :-)

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

empty whippet box posted:

guessing that means since I filed taxes on my business, that means my return will take 3-6 months :\ really sucks because we're at the stage of borrowing money based off our expected tax return because we're desperate as gently caress and hope it comes in soon, so I guess soon we'll be at the stage of telling a lot of people we don't know why it hasn't come in.
If it's been more than three weeks since you've filed and it's not showing a refund date, give the toll-free line a call (if possible, do so in the early morning or late evening for your best chance to get through, the line is open 7am to 7pm). They might be able to give you a better idea where things are at and how much longer you'll have to wait.

hanales posted:

Does it mean anything if your transcript as of date changes to a future date Friday morning, and then reverts back to the original in the afternoon? Mine does this weekly.

And is there a difference between “still processing” and “we have received your return and it is being processed?
The system in general and Where's My Refund in particular can be a little wonky so these changes are not unusual. Sometimes you'll even see the return disappear entirely when it's status is changing which could mean anything from you're about to get a refund date to the return has been flagged for further review. I think "still processing" means the return is in processing but it's beyond the normal timeframe but I'm not sure.

The best advice I can give is the same as above if it's gone past the normal processing timeframe (if you call prior to that you'll just be referred back to checking the Where's My Refund system for updates).

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Peyote Panda posted:

If it's been more than three weeks since you've filed and it's not showing a refund date, give the toll-free line a call (if possible, do so in the early morning or late evening for your best chance to get through, the line is open 7am to 7pm). They might be able to give you a better idea where things are at and how much longer you'll have to wait.

The system in general and Where's My Refund in particular can be a little wonky so these changes are not unusual. Sometimes you'll even see the return disappear entirely when it's status is changing which could mean anything from you're about to get a refund date to the return has been flagged for further review. I think "still processing" means the return is in processing but it's beyond the normal timeframe but I'm not sure.

The best advice I can give is the same as above if it's gone past the normal processing timeframe (if you call prior to that you'll just be referred back to checking the Where's My Refund system for updates).

Oh I was accepted 2/11 I’m just sitting waiting. Since I haven’t seen a letter notice on my transcript I’m just like eff it cuz those people are getting beat to poo poo by customers. I also had a bankruptcy discharge last year so there might be something there as well causing the delay. I’m just like whatever lol. Like the money would deffo help but I’m not gonna starve to death either.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

hanales posted:

Oh I was accepted 2/11 I’m just sitting waiting. Since I haven’t seen a letter notice on my transcript I’m just like eff it cuz those people are getting beat to poo poo by customers. I also had a bankruptcy discharge last year so there might be something there as well causing the delay. I’m just like whatever lol. Like the money would deffo help but I’m not gonna starve to death either.

If you had a bankruptcy discharge last year call the help line and if there's a problem because of the bankruptcy they'll get you rolling in the right direction. Since 2/11 was over three weeks ago it's certainly worth checking out.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

2 questions on filing capital gains losses:

I used eztaxreturn to do my taxes, which was probably my first mistake but it’s what I’ve always used because life was simple until now.

I had capital losses of let’s say $5000. However, I had 2 wash sales totaling $280, and the software didn’t seem to have a way of handling it. So instead of my total losses being $4720, it says the full $5000. Now, $3000 can be used per year to offset tax liability. For now it seems like that $280 difference isn’t a problem but come next year it will be? Or if I don’t even bother carrying over I guess they won’t care?

Second, I used one of those simple calculators of expected tax return that used my filing status, income (box 1 w-2), and income tax withheld (box 2), and the difference between the calculator and my filing was only $100. If I made $50k, by my understanding I would have expected an increase in my tax return of nearly $1k because I was taxed on 50k, losses brought it down to 47k, so the last 3k shouldn’t have been taxed at ~25-33% or 750-1k. Or maybe the estimate just happened to be way off. I didn’t even know about the “tax benefits” of capital losses so I’m not complaining, but how exactly does that $3k from capital losses change my taxes, if at all?

Also did returns increase this year for certain brackets or something? I’m getting way more back than even the capital losses could possibly account for with no real change in income.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how EZtaxreturn does it, but IIRC the way the instructions say that you should do it is:

Any sales without a code (ie: the W for Wash Sales) you can just sum up all profit and losses MINUS the total for all sales with a code, and just put the total on Schedule D, line 1a.

Sales with a code you have to individually detail them in form 8949, and then put the total from that form in Schedule D, line 1b.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Unfortunately all it had was date of purchase and sell, cost basis, and sell price. In retrospect, I probably could have put in the description for the two items that they were wash sales, but it still would not have solved the overall reporting problem. I at least bought the audit protection because I figured I’d screw something up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

latinotwink1997 posted:

Unfortunately all it had was date of purchase and sell, cost basis, and sell price. In retrospect, I probably could have put in the description for the two items that they were wash sales, but it still would not have solved the overall reporting problem. I at least bought the audit protection because I figured I’d screw something up.

Same brokerage same account? If so I would just do it as reported and let the cards fall later. If not then yeah do the accounting.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Peyote Panda posted:

Cool! About the only other thing I'd recommend (and again, the CPA may be doing this already) is specifically citing that the non-taxable qualified parts of the Roth IRA distribution meets the Qualified Distribution rule in IRS Publication 590-B even though it is not coded that way on the 1099-R. I'm just throwing that in because sometimes citing the specific source of the IRS rules in question may help with processing. Basically anything you can do to make things explicit and minimize the amount of actual research needed at the processing center can help, especially at this time when they're harried more than usual.

No guarantees though. I remember one case where I was looking over the scanned documents the taxpayer's accountant had sent in which included a photocopied page of the publication with the specific rule the filing was relying on highlighted and underlined and the processing center still sent the equivalent of a "Durrrr, I don't get it" notice. :rolleyes:

Quoting for background, but by some act of mercy my IRS return status turned to "Return Approved" today, i'm sure partly thanks to some of these recommendations. My question is: if I was going to be called out for an audit or requesting of additional info by the IRS, would it have happened before"approved," or am I still potentially waiting for a nasty letter for the next couple of years?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 12, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Quoting for background, but by some act of mercy my IRS return status turned to "Return Approved" today, i'm sure partly thanks to some of these recommendations. My question is: if I was going to be called out for an audit or requesting of additional info by the IRS, would it have happened before"approved," or am I still potentially waiting for a nasty letter For the next couple of years?

It can take years.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

PageMaster posted:

My question is: if I was going to be called out for an audit or requesting of additional info by the IRS, would it have happened before"approved," or am I still potentially waiting for a nasty letter for the next couple of years?
Unfortunately, all "approved" means is that there weren't any immediately egregious errors like the math not adding up or incorrect identifying info such as an incorrect Social Security number or date of birth.

Most likely you would get the letter requesting additional information at one of two times. The first would be during the initial processing of the return. If it gets processed without any questions then you might still get an AUR letter from the Underreporting department next Fall.

(For the background on that, the Underreporting department system automatically compares the income documents filed with the IRS with what is reported on the return and flags any discrepancies for an information request, usually through a CP2000 notice. However, since the IRS may not receive all income documents from financial institutions until up to 13 months after the end of the year in question, that process doesn't take place for a fairly long time. Usually CP2000s and the like go out in the fall of the year following the filing, so the AUR notices for 2020 returns wouldn't go out until Fall 2022.)

If you don't get a letter at either of those points you're probably clear, but hold onto the documentation after that because you never know what kind of complications can come up with retirement accounts in subsequent years.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks, not what I was hoping for but what I expected. Would any future requests be something I could reasonably expect to understand and handle by myself or would I need to make sure I have a CPA or some type of tax attorney handy?

Edit: apparently tax court is a formal term and not just CPA slang like I thought it was.

Either way, I just need to make sure my address with the IRS is updated after my move so this doesn't get lost. I just wish everything didn't take years to happen sometimes.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 13, 2021

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

asked about this in the stock thread, but no replies there. so, trying the tax thread...:

anyone here know the tax treatment for schedule K-1 volatility ETF gains (or losses) in a tax-advantaged IRA? free and clear or those gains taxable?

in particular, SVXY:
https://www.proshares.com/funds/svxy.html
https://etfdb.com/etf/SVXY/#etf-ticker-profile

proshares just says check with your tax advisor:
https://www.proshares.com/faqs/volatility_commodity_currency_proshares_taxation_faqs.html
(question #10)

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

PageMaster posted:

Thanks, not what I was hoping for but what I expected. Would any future requests be something I could reasonably expect to understand and handle by myself or would I need to make sure I have a CPA or some type of tax attorney handy?
Under the circumstances you described you'd most likely just need to send a statement of explanation with the relevant supporting documents. If that's not enough you would get a follow-up notice for additional information and you could speak to a tax professional at that point if needed.

quote:

Either way, I just need to make sure my address with the IRS is updated after my move so this doesn't get lost. I just wish everything didn't take years to happen sometimes.
If you move I'd suggest filing an 8822 (it's an IRS address update form you can download from the website) in addition to filing a change-of-address with USPS. USPS is supposed to update the IRS as well when a CoA is filed with them, but whether that actually happens is inconsistent in practice.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Not sure if this is the right thread, but anyone know anything about the change in dependent care FSA contribution limit due to the "American Rescue Plan" law?

I just learned about this and I'm bugging my HR about it to see if they're taking part. Is there any way to work around it if my company decides not to take advantage? As in, is there a corresponding increase in the child dependent care tax credit?

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

pmchem posted:

asked about this in the stock thread, but no replies there. so, trying the tax thread...:

anyone here know the tax treatment for schedule K-1 volatility ETF gains (or losses) in a tax-advantaged IRA? free and clear or those gains taxable?

in particular, SVXY:
https://www.proshares.com/funds/svxy.html
https://etfdb.com/etf/SVXY/#etf-ticker-profile

proshares just says check with your tax advisor:
https://www.proshares.com/faqs/volatility_commodity_currency_proshares_taxation_faqs.html
(question #10)

I wouldnt expect it to be considered UBTI, so you should be ok.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
If I call the IRS to change my address, how quickly does that take effect?

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

sale on Banksy art posted:

If I call the IRS to change my address, how quickly does that take effect?
I don't know about businesses, but for individuals it takes place immediately for some purposes (sending out letters or notices) and 3-4 weeks for others (mailing checks). Also, if a return is in processing the submission center automatically updates your account with whatever address is on the return once processing is finished. That's causing more problems than usual right now for people who mailed in print returns (which are currently taking months longer to process than usual due to the backlog) and then moved, because even if they update their address with us it'll go back to the old one once their return processes (and no, there usually isn't any way around that, thanks to our ancient main database and our limited, usually indirect data sharing across the systems used by phone line assistors versus submission center systems).

So be sure to file a change of address with the USPS as well and if you're expecting a check to be mailed out, check with your local post office to see what their policy is. Some will forward IRS checks to the new address, others won't, it's based on local USPS procedures.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
whats with this child tax credit changes? It was $2000 per child but if you make under 150k a year it is now $3600? is this for 2020 or does it only start in 2021?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah it goes up in 2021

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

My CPA has been telling me that he hasn't submitted my state and federal returns yet because of a technical "error" on his side. He says that he's trying to contact IRS to get it sorted out but hasn't gotten anywhere. We've been in this limbo for like a month now.

The CPA said they if he can't get it figured out soon he'll probably have to file paper returns... How hosed am I on getting my returns if this happens?

I'm moving states in a few months, so I expect that I'll somehow never get my (substantial) returns if we go down this path. Last year he "forgot" to include my direct deposit info for the fed return, so it was via check.

Does this "error" thing even make sense? I don't know wtf is going on with this guy.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 20, 2021

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Thesaurus posted:

My CPA has been telling me that he hasn't submitted my state and federal returns yet because of a technical "error" on his side. He says that he's trying to contact IRS to get it sorted out but hasn't gotten anywhere. We've been in this limbo for like a month now.

The CPA said they if he can't get it figured out soon he'll probably have to file paper returns... How hosed am I on getting my returns if this happens?

I'm moving states in a few months, so I expect that I'll somehow never get my (substantial) returns if we go down this path. Last year he "forgot" to include my direct deposit info for the fed return, so it was via check.

Does this "error" thing even make sense? I don't know wtf is going on with this guy.

I can't help you with the other stuff, but make sure to alert the IRS of your change of address when you move. Doubly important if you're expecting something from the IRS.

There is a post just up page on the best ways to do that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thesaurus posted:

If you use ACH for your refunds I wouldn't sweat it unless you're in dire need of that cash. Make sure he fills out those fields in the paper forms. Otherwise it could be anything from his license has been suspended to whatever accounting software he's using is broken in some subtle way all the way down to his local computer being broken.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Excellent, thank you

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Honestly unless he thinks it's gonna take another 3 months to fix his "technical" issue then just wait to e-file, paper filing seems like an absolute nightmare this year.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah you should find out what's causing the delay on his end. Tell him that your internet friends want to know.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I have a question for you state & local guys.

Taxpayer (me) drew salary from a New York employer for the entirety of 2020 but does not live there, and in fact hadn't set foot in the state all year. Taxpayer also had a good year in the stock market with significant capital gains. Total income was, let's say, $150k, with salary being $60k and capital gains $90k. NYS can tax the salary but capital gains get taxed by the state of domicile.

There's two ways that NYS can go about levying their tax:
  • Scenario 1: NYS taxes the $60k salary without reference to the non-NYS capital gains. Max tax rate is whatever bracket $60k would fall into.

• Scenario 2: NYS looks at the total $150k of income and calculates whatever the tax rate would be on that figure. It takes that number and then says, well, the 60k salary we can tax you on is 40% of your total income, so your tax is 40% of what the NYS tax on $150k would be. The max tax rate is whatever bracket the $150k would fall into.
NYS seems to go with Scenario 2? It seems like a minor thing but ends up costing me a few extra hundred bucks, and also feels like bullshit, although I suppose it'd be typical for the Empire State.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows this one. Yes, I'll start going to a CPA (next year).

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007

Agronox posted:

I have a question for you state & local guys.

Taxpayer (me) drew salary from a New York employer for the entirety of 2020 but does not live there, and in fact hadn't set foot in the state all year. Taxpayer also had a good year in the stock market with significant capital gains. Total income was, let's say, $150k, with salary being $60k and capital gains $90k. NYS can tax the salary but capital gains get taxed by the state of domicile.

• Scenario 1: NYS taxes the $60k salary without reference to the non-NYS capital gains. Max tax rate is whatever bracket $60k would fall into.

• Scenario 2: NYS looks at the total $150k of income and calculates whatever the tax rate would be on that figure. It takes that number and then says, well, the 60k salary we can tax you on is 40% of your total income, so your tax is 40% of what the NYS tax on $150k would be. The max tax rate is whatever bracket the $150k would fall into.
NYS seems to go with Scenario 2? It seems like a minor thing but ends up costing me a few extra hundred bucks, and also feels like bullshit, although I suppose it'd be typical for the Empire State.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows this one. Yes, I'll start going to a CPA (next year).

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/pit/ny_source_income_nonresident.htm

This seems to indicate your capital gains would not be considered NY sourced income, specifically the "your interest, dividends, or gains from the sale or exchange of intangible personal property, unless they are part of the income you received from carrying on a business, trade, profession, or occupation in New York State;" bullet point. I did poke around and it seems stocks and options fall into the intangible category of assets under NYS law. I don't know how you would document this in tax software though.

Also, I'm assuming you are teleworking due to the pandemic where your normal office is in NY, which meets the convenience of the employer test for NY meaning your salary is NYS taxable.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Agronox posted:

This is fairly standard in nonresident/part year resident taxation, not just NY. The mechanisms and specifics are usually different but that’s the underlying theory.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Missing Donut posted:

This is fairly standard in nonresident/part year resident taxation, not just NY. The mechanisms and specifics are usually different but that’s the underlying theory.

Thank you. Just needed a gut check on it. It doesn't seem particularly fair but I get what they're going for. I'll still grumble as I write the check though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If they didn't do it that way, rich people would split their income across as many states as possible to minimize taxes.