Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

T Zero posted:

Any recommendations for good ear plugs? I'm just using cheap foams ones, which are serviceable, but I'm wondering if there's something better to be using as I go on longer and faster rides.

I like Moldex Spark Plugs, they're still fairly cheap in bulk but they're a lot softer than the stiff orange foamies you get in air travel kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yuns posted:

So Ruroc, perpetrators of the ugliest ski/snowboard helmets on earth, have a new motorcycle subbrand Enginehawk, because they needed the stupidest possible name for the rebrand. They've made motorcycle helmets before but now are making other apparel as well. CE rated so meets protection standards and aesthetics are somewhere close to the vintage lines of other apparel makers.

https://www.ruroc.com/en_us/enginehawk

I hate the quilted shoulders.

T Zero posted:

Any recommendations for good ear plugs? I'm just using cheap foams ones, which are serviceable, but I'm wondering if there's something better to be using as I go on longer and faster rides.

I also tried using wireless earbuds. Problem is that I can barely take my helmet off while they're in without feeling like they'll tear my ears off.

I like these. https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Plugs-Worlds-Plug-Personal/dp/B003G5W3KG

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Martytoof posted:

On another topic, still up in the air about the A* SMX-6 v2 boot. I think the other boot I’m looking at is the Dainese Nexus. Any thoughts comparing the two? I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a Dainese fanboy but I also just prefer the look of the Nexus to the SMX. My main goal is just to improve ankle protection beyond my Dainese riding sneakers so I’m sure either would do. They’re both in the same price range and (hopefully) boots that I can basically wear forever.

I have the A* SMX plus which looks fairly close to the SMX-6 and I really like them. They're surprisingly comfortable, I stopped to visit a friend while wearing them last weekend and ended up walking ~2 miles without any issues. I've also worn them to many a concert (back before covid) and never had any complaints.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks! All the reports come back as them being some of the most comfortable boots. Hopefully I can try these out after our lockdown. I'd order and return but that's a hassle if I want to comparison shop :(

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I forgot to add that I've had them for a little over four years now and they're holding up great, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again if/when they eventually wear out. Although looking at my order history, these were $100 cheaper in 2017 than the current SMX plus models.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Held gloves fit me so good, they've spoiled me for other brands.

...and now they've pissed me off.

I am an L in the Held Air-n-Dry 2 chamber gloves.

I wanted a summer glove. So I bought Held SR-X gloves in L.

The loving thumbs on the SR-Xes is at least 2/3 of an inch longer than the Air n Drys. WTF.

Returned them half an hour after they arrived in the post.

Fucks sake Held.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I have a hjc rpha 90 helmet, it's a couple years old and starting to fog again, and I can't seem to find a pinlock insert at a reasonable price in Australia. Is this one of the many supply things that covid has hosed up, or am I missing a search term, or what? The best I can find is poo poo on ebay that'll cost me 80 bucks + 115 shipping from europe.

Also since I'm riding more dirt roads and not-highways now as well as riding into town on tracks on the postie bike, would a bell mx-9 adv helmet be worth looking at? The hjc is nice for sitting on the highway but it's got gently caress all airflow doing 20-40km/h on lovely dirt "roads" in the sun and it's starting to suck.

80 AU$ isn't unreasonable but 115 for shipping? Do they give it it's own loving seat on a Qantas jet?

Almost certainly worthwhile seeing if you can rescue the insert. The things that make them start to fail is the pores in the plastic getting blocked, scratching and general damage buildup, and the silicone seal that attaches it to the visor failing - it's fairly easy to tell which is which, if the insert itself is fogging it's the plastic, if the fogging is between the insert and visor it's the seal.

The former is easy to fix - you'll need two microfibre cloths (preferably the smooth ones for glasses, and ideally fresh out the packet so they've got no dust or soap residue on them, both of which can bugger up the insert). Pop the visor off and blow any surface dust off. Use one cloth to very gently wipe the insert to remove any dust left over, then wet and wring out the other and wipe when insert down. Use the first cloth to dry it (don't wipe at all, just press it against the visor) and leave it to dry overnight. This *might* work with scratched inserts to at least lower the amount of misting so it's worth a go.

Fixing the seal can be a little trickier. If you're lucky you can just pop the insert out, really thoroughly clean the inside of the visor with soap and water, dry it completely, then put the insert back in and it'll seal back up. Some people have reported success using a tiny amount of silicone sealant applied with a pin but that seems like something that's gonna cause more harm than good unless you've got a really, really steady hand.

If none of this works then you're probably better off just taking the insert out and use any of the many ways of fogproofing we had to use in the dark times Before Pinlock.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I want a heated visor, foolproof.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Put a small lump of plutonium in your inlet vent so the heat is blown up into the visor, sorted.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

The fact that this doesn't exist for every major helmet manufacturer is unforgivable.

Meanwhile, Klim Arctic Balaclavas are finally back in stock and now when it's cold out I can simply cease to exist:

Strife fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 12, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Strife posted:

The fact that this doesn't exist for every major helmet manufacturer is unforgivable.

Meanwhile, Klim Arctic Balaclavas are finally back in stock and now when it's cold out I can simply cease to exist:

I wonder if you could just adapt the ones from the various MFR's snowmobile helmets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

when it's cold out I can simply cease to exist

As a Midwesterner I feel this

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Nitrox posted:

I just rode up and down Florida keys, and at some point it's essentially riding across the ocean, for tens of miles at a time. When that wind shifts, you need to lean while bike like 15 degrees just to stay in lane. It's fun during the day, but terrifying in the dark

https://youtu.be/KIgX33sFs0Q

This is excellent! But it also means having ride in FLorida, which is questionable.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Toe Rag posted:

Have you ever used NoNoise? Same basic design but Pinpocks look to be lower profile. I have a hard time maintaining a seal when I put on my helmet using NoNoise. I wonder if pinlocks are better in the regard.

Foam always works but get uncomfortable for me after 45min or so.

I used to use these too, and they are good, the aluminum case is very handy too. I think I might have small ear canals, though because my no noise started hurting my ears after a couple of hours, so I got the eargrace 3 pack off of Amazon, found the smalls fit my ears the best and seem to work even better than the nonoise ones.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Echoing the gently caress Icon sentiment. The rubber gasket going around the base of my Icon Alliance started to slip off in the Georgia heat with the glue leaving behind a sticky mess 2 months after I bought it. I finally replaced it with a brand new Shoei RF-1400 and i wish i bought a higher end helmet a lot sooner. For one, it actually fits my head shape (I went from a 3XL in Icon to an XL in the Shoei.) It feels lighter on the head, its quieter, and the fit and finish is leagues ahead.

Granted, its $300 more than the old helmets MSRP, but I regret not spending the extra to begin with.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Steakandchips posted:

it's the best thing ever. I wouldn't ride 365 days a year if I couldn't run one

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What's the advantage of a heated visor? Why do you need one?

And I can probably make one in 30 minutes by using the same technology as a rear window defroster on the car. Just not sure why

Edit: This doesn't answer my question VVV

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 14, 2021

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Nitrox posted:

And I can probably make one in 30 minutes by using the same technology as a rear window defroster on the car. Just not sure why

You can't because the wire would obfuscate your vision and is too hot for plastic.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

SEKCobra posted:

You can't because the wire would obfuscate your vision and is too hot for plastic.
I'm going to go ahead and make that call myself, once someone answers my question about the intended use. Neither one of the things you mentioned is an actual issue in real world application. And I've successfully used https://frostfighter.com/clear-view-defroster-special.htm on a plexiglass/lexan race car windows before.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nitrox posted:

De-fogging and de-ice. You have to be riding in sub-zero temperatures before the latter is really an issue (which I have done in the past but don't intend to again), and the former is handled pretty much perfectly by a pinlock insert.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Lot of aggressive takes around heated visors here. Seems weird.

Anyway, I think they'd be nice for just plug in and flip a switch and no fog no matter what. Pinlocks are good but not perfect so if someone is commuting in the winter I can sympathize with the desire for a heated visor.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want a visor with a windshield wiper

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone used to make gloves with a windshield wiper rubber part along the outside of the index finger

I forget who hit it always seemed like a really dumb and really good idea simultaneously

E: https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinte...utm_name=iossmf

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 14, 2021

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

builds character posted:

Lot of aggressive takes around heated visors here. Seems weird.

Anyway, I think they'd be nice for just plug in and flip a switch and no fog no matter what. Pinlocks are good but not perfect so if someone is commuting in the winter I can sympathize with the desire for a heated visor.

They do get loaded up with moisture pretty quickly in winter, it's true. I'd have appreciated a heated visor in the past, I'm just now at the point where £500 (or whatever it'd cost to get one) seems better spent on a beater car to get me through the worst of winter than a swanky helmet.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Edit: This doesn't answer my question VVV

answered, but my personal take is that it also warms my face slightly while wearing a neck gaiter when I commuted in ~20° weather here in the winter. also kept my glasses from fogging at stop lights when I was too stubborn (hungover) to put contacts in

they're just better than pinlocks, period. my bell eliminator uses a factory installed pinlock-like system and it still will fog in those cold temps from my breath heavily condensing on it. my heated visor on my scorpion has never ever fogged. even when sucking wind on trails.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Someone used to make gloves with a windshield wiper rubber part along the outside of the index finger

I forget who hit it always seemed like a really dumb and really good idea simultaneously

my alpinestars wp equinox gloves have a wiper on them and I use it often. not a gimmick. super helpful at low speeds when the rain x isn't doing it's thing since there's no air pushing the water off the face shield

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I bought some Alpinestars Patron which also have it. Makes sense on any waterproof gloves.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah I bought some Alpinestars Patron which also have it. Makes sense on any waterproof gloves.

hey how do you like these? I've been looking for a NON insulated WP glove for awhile now being as I am a moron who always commutes on his bike. I've been making due with the equinoxes, but man, in the summer I usually just wear dirt bike gloves when it pours and accept that my palms will be warm (grip heaters :D) while the back sides of my hands get soaked lol

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Nitrox posted:

I'm going to go ahead and make that call myself, once someone answers my question about the intended use.

Because a heated helmet seems like too much to ask for. I can plug in gear that covers every single part of my body except my head, and once it gets down to 28°F / -2°C, my face hurts too much to continue riding.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Both my old and my new Helds have that

I kept the old ones long enough that the rubber started to denature and I didn't notice until I smeared black gunk on my visor

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

right arm posted:

hey how do you like these? I've been looking for a NON insulated WP glove for awhile now being as I am a moron who always commutes on his bike. I've been making due with the equinoxes, but man, in the summer I usually just wear dirt bike gloves when it pours and accept that my palms will be warm (grip heaters :D) while the back sides of my hands get soaked lol

I haven’t used them in the rain yet because I’m a weekend warrior and also our winter was super dry, but I assume they will be fine w/r/t waterproofing since it’s Gore-Tex. The fit is on the tight side. I’d see if you can try them on at a local shop first, or consider sizing up depending on where you land on the size chart. My hand is 21cm which is solidly M. My other Alpinestars gloves fit fine, but I could barely get the Patrons on at first. They loosened up a little, but I imagine if you take them off and get your hand wet, putting it back on might be slightly miserable.

Besides that they are comfortable and good feel for the controls. The index finger also works with touch screens, so that’s nice. No warmth, but if you’ll probably be fine with your setup.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thanks to everyone for clarifying.

I do ride in subzero temperatures, but not in adverse weather conditions like snow or freezing rain. Having a pinlock and creating airflow inside the helmet really helps with the fog. Yeah, my face would have to eat some cold air, from slightly cracked visor and open vents but it's better than the alternative. I do wear vented glasses that sit further away from face

Strife posted:

Because a heated helmet seems like too much to ask for. I can plug in gear that covers every single part of my body except my head, and once it gets down to 28°F / -2°C, my face hurts too much to continue riding.

Creating more heat inside the helmet would actually make the fog issue worse, especially with glasses. But you can wear a heated liner or scarf or even DIY element setup between foam and shell casing.

As for keeping the visor warm, I would theoretically run one wire around the perimeter of the visor and maybe another at the perimeter of the pinlock. Control both from the same dial, playing with temperature settings. It would certainly keep whatever ice build up from forming, but I doubt it would do much to keep your face warmer.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

right arm posted:

answered, but my personal take is that it also warms my face slightly while wearing a neck gaiter when I commuted in ~20° weather here in the winter. also kept my glasses from fogging at stop lights when I was too stubborn (hungover) to put contacts in

they're just better than pinlocks, period. my bell eliminator uses a factory installed pinlock-like system and it still will fog in those cold temps from my breath heavily condensing on it. my heated visor on my scorpion has never ever fogged. even when sucking wind on trails.
can you link to this product? I'm really curious

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitrox posted:

Not that product but.... I have an older version of these and they work really well. https://ride509.com/products/kingpin-ignite-heated-goggle-2021 I think the mechanism is exactly what you say - a single wire around the outside. You can see it better in pictures of just the lenses. https://ride509.com/products/kingpin-ignite-heated-lens

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

DIY element setup between foam and shell casing.

This would be an immensely bad idea given EPS starts to melt around 90ish degrees.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Nitrox posted:

bell pro vision shield which is basically a pin lock, but one you never need to adjust. just double paned from the factory. it’s sick and all shields should be like this

scorpion heated helmet this is the snowmobile version, but you can buy that same face shield and slap it on the moto helmet. just runs off a USB lead or you can hook it directly to your battery. works similar to the defrosting elements on the rear window of your car or heated ski goggles if you’ve got them (I do :D)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Toe Rag posted:

I haven’t used them in the rain yet because I’m a weekend warrior and also our winter was super dry, but I assume they will be fine w/r/t waterproofing since it’s Gore-Tex. The fit is on the tight side. I’d see if you can try them on at a local shop first, or consider sizing up depending on where you land on the size chart. My hand is 21cm which is solidly M. My other Alpinestars gloves fit fine, but I could barely get the Patrons on at first. They loosened up a little, but I imagine if you take them off and get your hand wet, putting it back on might be slightly miserable.

Besides that they are comfortable and good feel for the controls. The index finger also works with touch screens, so that’s nice. No warmth, but if you’ll probably be fine with your setup.

rad. thanks. so do they more or less feel like normal gloves? they look excellent, but I just don’t want insulation, just goretex waterproofness if that makes sense

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yup, feels the same as my other gauntlet, just on the tighter side.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Sedici appears to be a Revzilla/CycleGear brand, how's the quality on their products in general? I'm looking at the Alexi 2 Mesh jacket; CE2 elbows and shoulders, it fits me well and has waterproof and thermal liners which I'm sure I'll want in the PNW.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would put Sedici a step above Built brand items. My summer pants and gloves are doing pretty good after 3 years of use. Velcro on the gloves is losing strength, but that's after nearly 20k miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

builds character posted:

Not that product but.... I have an older version of these and they work really well. https://ride509.com/products/kingpin-ignite-heated-goggle-2021 I think the mechanism is exactly what you say - a single wire around the outside. You can see it better in pictures of just the lenses. https://ride509.com/products/kingpin-ignite-heated-lens

Found the screen. It's exactly what I envisioned https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077S21VS2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_2QT5P0GNYCCJ4VYP39Y4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1