Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There is a sub genre of mobile game ads on YouTube that are about getting revenge on the girl who broke your heart and the jerk who won her over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Google increasingly seems to not give a poo poo about what ads they run

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My favorite mobile game ads continue to be the lava/water/gold puzzles that like 10 different games advertise (and I'm pretty sure none of them actually have that gameplay)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just spent 30 minutes searching through the Okami soundtrack for this song cause it's an absolute bop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAvQNB_8HZQ

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
jay rust, please do not watch the advertisements on youtube or elsewhere

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Who the hell isn't running adblock in TYOOL 2021?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

For me it's when I'm watching on my phone.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah I’m on my ‘pad (iPad)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Goons: don’t watch ads
Also goons: can’t wait til eee and the latest aaa trailers

Just wow

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I watch a lot of Youtube on my PS4.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rarity posted:

I just spent 30 minutes searching through the Okami soundtrack for this song cause it's an absolute bop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAvQNB_8HZQ

the themes for Ryoshima Coast, the races, and the final town also, as the youths say, slapp

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I would reccomend youtube vanced but just kidding google broke something so now for youtube vanced to have a chance of working you need to like, install an old version and log-in, then uninstall then reinstall new version and hope you're logged in. my drat password is also something like asdVFADFG35#$%Gw45TG! so get that wrong then we're resetting things and blegh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8aS43vOSUU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Just wow

I enjoy a good eee once in a while

That reminds me of when covid was starting. Some people thought it was an overaction when Sony pulled out of PAX.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
my wedding vows will have a clause promising to never advertise to me, except sexually, and even then exclusively through deep red tones displayed and the butt cheeks.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Rinkles posted:

For me it's when I'm watching on my phone.

Anyone who's on Android, search the internet for "YouTube Vanced" and install the apk to solve this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Video game trailers are an exception :hai:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Watching trailers for things I might like or watching a gaming press conference is hardly the same as being forced to watch the first 10 seconds of a PragerU video or getting earblasted by cartoon mobile game characters abusing their spouses or whatever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I have started playing Robotics;Notes. I've always been a big supporter of Visual Novels and believe it's the best genre of video game, but this is the first one I've ever actually played.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Waffleman_ posted:

I watch a lot of Youtube on my PS4.

Yeah same and the ads suck on toast

But the ads are far far worse on the app version. The app specifically shows you tons of mobile game ads for obvious reasons

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Gripweed posted:

I have started playing Robotics;Notes. I've always been a big supporter of Visual Novels and believe it's the best genre of video game, but this is the first one I've ever actually played.

I've thought about getting it too, but I wonder if it's closer to Steins;Gate (good) or Chaos;Child (bad)

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Just wow

E3 is in 69 days

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ymgve posted:

I've thought about getting it too, but I wonder if it's closer to Steins;Gate (good) or Chaos;Child (bad)

I really enjoyed the show. I will update the thread as I play the game as to it's quality.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Rinkles posted:

Google increasingly seems to not give a poo poo about what ads they run

They care a whole lot like, you can't run an ad that says black lives matter

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

sharrrk posted:

E3 is in 69 days

nice ... ?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Discovered that I had Killer is Dead, probably from a humble bundle or something. That game certainly has a … vibe. Think I might continue playing it, does not seem to be overly long either.

Get to the first dream sequence fight, and if you like it keep going. The ending rules

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Thinking about maybe playing Dante's Inferno

Please don't play Dante's Inferno.

And if you still do, invest entirely in the Unholy tree of skills and abilities, the other tree is literally a trap.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

YouTube mobile also has the "stories" feature which is only accessible on the phone.

If you wanted to know more about the "simp wars" between IGN and gamespot it's only there

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Youtube mobile also has this thing were it shows community posts from channels I have never watched from or heard of.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mobile youtube is a nightmare. Youtube's algorithm has gotten so incredibly lovely in the last couple of years it's insane. Just pages of poo poo I've already seen and weird poo poo I would never watch.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

YouTube Vanced is an off-store version of the YouTube Mobile app that blocks all ads and lets you lock your screen without pausing the audio. It's good stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
It's remarkable how much these big websites are intentionally making themselves terrible. Like when you search for a specific movie or book on Amazon and the first two results are ads for ebooks in the same genre as what you searched for and the next three results are for streaming videos whose title includes a word that's a synonym for one of the words in the title you searched for

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

YouTube likes to rec dog videos to me, I say: all hail the algorithm

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaMkYbOXirA

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i found a safari script online that lets you circumvent youtube mobile's refusal to play minimized. its pretty cool to watch a tube and browse the forum as god intended

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So back in 2018 a cocktail book called Cocktail Codex was released that posits that there are actually only 6 "root" cocktails - the old fashioned, the martini, the daiquiri, the sidecar, the whiskey highball, the flip. All other modern cocktails are evolutions and variations stemming from one of those six roots. And while it doesn't really cover pre-Prohibition mixed drinks I think it's otherwise pretty spot on.

This got me thinking, what do people think the root gaming genres would be?

As with any discussion of genre there's a heavy amount of subjectivity to this and I think you'll end up with wildly different categories depending on where and how you draw the line, but from thinking about it very casually I think I'd identify as my starting point four root genres.

Action - Skill based, reflex oriented games e.g Spacewar!, Asteroids, Pac Man, Space Invaders. Spawns roughly fifty million subgenres. Maze games, platformers, shmups, beat em ups etc.

Adventure - Narrative focused exploratory games. Colossal Cave Adventure leading to text adventures/IF and later graphical adventures. Adventure game elements added to wargames gives us role-playing games, much like narrative elements added to pen and paper wargames got us D&D in the real world. Adventure and Action eventually combined into the Action/Adventure genre, the titanic juggernaut that now feels like it comprises a big swath of AAA gaming.

Puzzle - The player tries to solve a problem presented by the game using their wits, starting with adaptations of pen and paper thinking games like Tic Tac Toe and Hangman, leading to things like Sokoban games, Tetris, Pipe Dream etc.

Simulation - Simulations of (predominantly) real-world experiences in videogame form. Early wargames and strategy games like The Sumerian Game, as well as sports simulations like Tennis for Two and Pong. Spawns the RTS, Sports and Racing genres.

I'd need to sit down and do a bunch more research in order to flesh this out properly but I'd say these four root genres can account for just about any other genre by blending between them. It'd be a fun project to see someone map a theory like this out tracing the descent of genres over time, and I'm sure everyone would endlessly argue over it for all eternity much like, say, subgenres of Metal.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
You forgot about Strand games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

There are 2 genres: "kill poo poo" and "other"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I got a bingo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gripweed posted:

You forgot about Strand games

Strand games are clearly under Simulation - "Social Strand Simulation"