Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Bleck posted:

this argument is less "they refused to put subtitles for the hearing impaired" and more "they refused to dub over the film's spoken language in the language that I speak because I can't be bothered to futz with subtitles"

...yes, exactly, which is a sign they only cared about certain people's ability to experience the film, and explicitly didn't care about others. Reading subtitles and hearing audio in a language you speak is far from the same experience--for instance the usage of Korean in Parasite garnered a bunch of explainers for folks who didn't speak the language. For me, the argument isn't that everyone should be forced to make everything accessible to everyone. But it's ignorant to claim that an artist's reason for making one singular thing exclusively for one audience and not others is that you want all audiences to have an identical experience. They will experience the same thing, but their experiences will not be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

batteries! posted:

I remember the 3DS MHs being some seriously clunky games, like a dino slapping you so hard you'd get thrown into a loading screen when you switched rooms. World streamlined as much of the jank away and it's okay if it's still not the game for you. Being laughed at for asking for more tutorials and more handholding and then immediately comparing it to subtitles and Braille as though Capcom is punching the disabled is some pathetic poo poo.

Tribalism is really lovely and I feel like we should all recognize that just because one guy opened the conversation with something along the lines of "if you like monster hunter you're just brain poisoned and think you like this clunky game", that doesn't mean every monster hunter fan needs to take the polar opposite point that there's no friction or barrier to entry. I love the series but its tutorials are not paced or set up very well and it would be nice if they provided in-game info that was better presented and more helpful.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Bleck posted:

yeah like I'm all for accessibility

the person earlier who said "there should be a mode in Hollow Knight where you can just walk around and look at cool bugs"? I fully agree with that, and Hollow Knight is my favorite game

if what you're trying to say is that there should be a mode in MH where you can just walk around and take pictures of the monsters living in their natural habitats like Pokemon Snap, then yes, I agree, and also that's a spinoff I just invented in my head that I sorely want now

but I'm pretty sure this all spawned from "I pressed the Y button when I wasn't supposed to press the Y button and that means the game is bad" and trying to justify that dumbass take by saying "any video game that takes learnin' is ableist" is some bottom-tier slacktivist horseshit

You’re misrepresenting what I said.

I said that MH does a poor job of onboarding new players to its idiosyncracies in a fashion that somehow, for some weird fuckin’ reason got people pathologically up in arms.

But keep shifting the narrative if it makes you feel better.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

It's more like if blockbuster movies refused to add subtitles or had key scenes filmed in such a way that colorblind people couldn't see them. These are AA/AAA games we're talking about, not Frantz Fanon or James Joyce here lol.

Idk why you're so intent on bootlicking devs that are working on projects with millions of dollars in funding and making the deliberate choice to exclude people who may be disabled.

Just because you seem to hold the medium in contempt it doesn't mean we all have to. The same qualities that (unfortunately) may exclude some disabled people are the same that give the games much of their unique appeal to begin with, the experience of Sekiro or Hollow Knight where there's a range of difficulty options or dev mode style cheat options would be fundamentally different to the games which are carefully balanced and completely uncompromising around their intended experiences. If you don't have the capabilities to deal with this incredibly small subset of games, there are literally hundreds of other current releases which have not been design with these extremely specific design goals in mind.

Mister Facetious posted:

Maybe for Doom 16 and Eternal, but the Switch versions of every previous one do not.

Oh sorry misunderstood, that's loving stupid lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LODGE NORTH posted:

So I’ve been slightly wondering if it’s at all worth it to keep my Elgato HD 60S+ now that I’ve got a ShadowCast on the way. I quite literally only got it because I wanted to play my Switch inside of my OS an the ShadowCast just...does that.

Would there even be any problems with streaming if I wanted to down the line? Couldn’t I just stream the app itself and get the exact same experience?
I just did a quick scan of the ShadowCast page and it looks like it does basically everything you'd need. Depending on how the ShadowCast reports itself to your computer though there might be a problem where OBS wouldn't recognize it as a valid input source. In that case you could probably just do a desktop/window capture on the ShadowCast window itself and it would work but might introduce a bit of lag and/or quality hit if you care about that sort of thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

why do i think monster hunter is fun?

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1381400893241786370?s=20

because that appeals to my inner 5 year old

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

I said that MH does a poor job of onboarding new players to its idiosyncracies in a fashion that somehow, for some weird fuckin’ reason got people pathologically up in arms.

But keep shifting the narrative if it makes you feel better.
How many times do people need to quote the brain poison post before you stop saying "for some reason people got mad at me"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Muscle Tracer posted:

For me, the argument isn't that everyone should be forced to make everything accessible to everyone. But it's ignorant to claim that an artist's reason for making one singular thing exclusively for one audience and not others is that you want all audiences to have an identical experience. They will experience the same thing, but their experiences will not be the same.

oh yeah I'm not defending Sekiro guy's argument, though in my opinion if he said "I didn't put in an easy mode because I don't care about people who want it to be easy" then that would also be uhhhh valid

BurningBeard posted:

actually I think you'll find that the word you meant is "quote," in which we refer to a direct copy of what you said,

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

multijoe posted:

Just because you seem to hold the medium in contempt it doesn't mean we all have to. The same qualities that (unfortunately) may exclude some disabled people are the same that give the games much of their unique appeal to begin with, the experience of Sekiro or Hollow Knight where there's a range of difficulty options or dev mode style cheat options would be fundamentally different to the games which are carefully balanced and completely uncompromising around their intended experiences. If you don't have the capabilities to deal with this incredibly small subset of games, there are literally hundreds of other current releases which have not been design with these extremely specific design goals in mind.

brb need to hold the medium in contempt. Wow. This is loving hilarious. Again, don’t worry bud, the sanctity of your fare lady videogames is not at risk.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bleck posted:

if what you're trying to say is that there should be a mode in MH where you can just walk around and take pictures of the monsters living in their natural habitats like Pokemon Snap, then yes, I agree, and also that's a spinoff I just invented in my head that I sorely want now

a monster hunter spinoff i didn't realize i wanted is a fighting game

me and a buddy were playing and both mounted monsters at the same time and just piloted them against each other and it was goofy and fun as gently caress

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Bleck posted:

friendly reminder that "sucks at video games" is not a disability

this argument is less "they refused to put subtitles for the hearing impaired" and more "they refused to dub over the film's spoken language in the language that I speak because I can't be bothered to futz with subtitles"

I'm talking more generally about challenging games from major studios (like Seikiro or Nioh).

ugh I need to not get mad at video games

but lol that wanting big budget games to be accessible to disabled people = 'having contempt for the medium'

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 12, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

brb need to hold the medium in contempt. Wow. This is loving hilarious. Again, don’t worry bud, the sanctity of your fare lady videogames is not at risk.

Dude I'm kind of with you on MH sucks, I just think hard video games have a right to exist in principle

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

homeless snail posted:

How many times do people need to quote the brain poison post before you stop saying "for some reason people got mad at me"

You can stay mad about something I acknowledged if you want. But I made a good faith effort to address it and tried to clarify I’m not talking about the players, but the common critical messaging surrounding the game.

I certainly could have chosen better language, but I’m only human.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Len posted:

a monster hunter spinoff i didn't realize i wanted is a fighting game

me and a buddy were playing and both mounted monsters at the same time and just piloted them against each other and it was goofy and fun as gently caress

yo.

I'm talking more generally about challenging games from major studios (like Seikiro or Nioh).

so am I - there will be art that cannot be enjoyed by a person because of existing limitations, And That Is Fine

like I said above, I think the whole "singular vision" argument from Sekiroguy is stupid, but I think "I want to make a video game that is difficult" is an acceptable reason to make a video game that is difficult

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
can everyone just put this "debate me coward" weirdo on ignore so the thread can go back to being about video games

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Bleck posted:

oh yeah I'm not defending Sekiro guy's argument, though in my opinion if he said "I didn't put in an easy mode because I don't care about people who want it to be easy" then that would also be uhhhh valid

Totally agree. Having an audience in mind is important!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

multijoe posted:

Agreed. Doom 3 is a lot less fun without them.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

multijoe posted:

Dude I'm kind of with you on MH sucks, I just think hard video games have a right to exist in principle

For sure. The issue is that too readily this notion of difficulty gets trotted out as though it were some kind of holy shibboleth in need of defense when conflating accessibility and difficulty is boneheaded for a lot of reasons.

And again, I wasn’t talking about difficulty, but the way that a large variety of mechanics are presented to the player.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Tribalism is really lovely and I feel like we should all recognize that just because one guy opened the conversation with something along the lines of "if you like monster hunter you're just brain poisoned and think you like this clunky game", that doesn't mean every monster hunter fan needs to take the polar opposite point that there's no friction or barrier to entry. I love the series but its tutorials are not paced or set up very well and it would be nice if they provided in-game info that was better presented and more helpful.

There's friction and there's a barrier to entry, sure. And it's reasonable to discuss if that barrier to entry adds to the experience. Something as simple as the map markers makes a great example of how design can clash with acessibility. But this isn't tribalism. It's one dude who posted 8 paragraphs of UX newspeak with zero content and is now scrambling for arguments.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My 8BitDo Pro 2 came today. It feels pretty nice but it's gonna take some getting used to for me. I haven't gotten a chance to play too much with the d-pad, which was the main reason I bought it, but that already feels better than on the Nintendo Pro.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

multijoe posted:

at some level the format is an intrinsic part of the experience and Moby Dick written at a YA level would not be Moby Dick.

Yeah it'd be better because you wouldn't have to read ten pages of biology lectures on whales.

But I agree with you, developers certainly have the right to make their games as hard as they want and are under no obligation to provide an easier difficulty or anything. I just think they should do better to make games more accessible and easy to enjoy. There's definitely plenty of games out there that it's not like missing out on a few is the worst thing ever, you can always just play another one.. But more people being able to enjoy a game is nice.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

You pretty much said what I intended to, but better. Thanks.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

edit: this is wasting time for everyone

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BurningBeard posted:

For sure. The issue is that too readily this notion of difficulty gets trotted out as though it were some kind of holy shibboleth in need of defense when conflating accessibility and difficulty is boneheaded for a lot of reasons.

And again, I wasn’t talking about difficulty, but the way that a large variety of mechanics are presented to the player.

Such as

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

You're lucky.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
DOOM and DOOM II on Switch both have cheat menus. I'm not sure about DOOM 64 or DOOM 3 tough.

Regarding the sanctity of artistic intent or whatever, I'd also point out that the original DOS DOOM had a bunch of debugging options including the ability to disable monsters entirely, at which point it became a walking simulator. This actually broke the game since there level events that are tied to monster deaths. Still, if you wanted to walk through the game that way you could and nobody would stop you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If we were actually playing games we wouldn't be posting :ironicat:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

i'm just waiting for the next nindie sale so I can get carrion

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

DOOM and DOOM II on Switch both have cheat menus. I'm not sure about DOOM 64 or DOOM 3 tough.

Are you certain about that, because Gamefaqs shows nothing for the Switch versions of those four.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah I’m good. For real goons, I’m legit not interested in fighting with anybody, and for the last time my bad for kicking it off that way. I definitely could have chosen my words better. I really didn’t intend to be inflamatory about it.

Ultimately, we all love this stupid loving hobby so when I feel like I’m missing out on the current zeitgeist it’s a bummer.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Sitting at my laptop being a sad corporate shmuck thinking about playing monster hunter rise :(

My switch is like right here but I have to reply to escalation emails and maybe whip up a stupid chart for my boss so it'll be a few hours god I hate this so much, wish I didn't have to pay rent or whatever

E: smoked a bowl, feeling better about working, then I can enjoy mh rise at my lesure. Dual blades are ridiculous, so many angry little damage numbers all over the screen

Thanks for listening nintendo switch thread

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 13, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

If we were actually playing games we wouldn't be posting :ironicat:

playing games during work hours is beyond the pale. but posting is fine

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah it'd be better because you wouldn't have to read ten pages of biology lectures on whales.

the biology lectures on whales (and the chapters dedicated to explaining whaling in general) are really cool tho

i like to learn

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I can only read non-fiction anymore because learning is the best part.

I'm currently reading about the 15 ships and their crew that got stranded in the Suez Canal for 8 years during the Six-Day War between Israel and Egypt.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mister Facetious posted:

Are you certain about that, because Gamefaqs shows nothing for the Switch versions of those four.

Hi! I'm the guy who's certain about that.

Doom 1:

Doom 2:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Sitting at my laptop being a sad corporate shmuck thinking about playing monster hunter rise :(

My switch is like right here but I have to reply to escalation emails and maybe whip up a stupid chart for my boss so it'll be a few hours god I hate this so much, wish I didn't have to pay rent or whatever

E: smoked a bowl, feeling better about working, then I can enjoy mh rise at my lesure. Dual blades are ridiculous, so many angry little damage numbers all over the screen

Thanks for listening nintendo switch thread

I liked dual blades but I couldn't stop myself from spamming the attack buttons and if it kept up I would've needed to replace the joy cons. That's my story of how I learned to play insect glaive.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Johnny Walker posted:

My 8BitDo Pro 2 came today. It feels pretty nice but it's gonna take some getting used to for me. I haven't gotten a chance to play too much with the d-pad, which was the main reason I bought it, but that already feels better than on the Nintendo Pro.

Nice! What color did you get?

DOOM chat: is there a way to turn off the head bob in the switch versions? I’m a baby who gets sick

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

for the record, the Training Area is 100% the "fighting game practice mode" thing i wanted. idk if it's open from the very beginning or not, but it exists and that makes me happy

i upgraded some armor and weapons and i just killed on of those bear guys _way_ quicker than i did the first time i fought one. i unlocked a sub-camp in the shrine ruins, and as soon as i get another warm pelt from one of the deer-things i'll be able to unlock one for the ice level, too

this game is really fun. i like sword+shield.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how high does the MH skill floor go? i get the impression that i can play most of the game by sucking and just upgrading my weapons/armor as I go. i'm sure there's end-game quests that require max-level gear and perfect execution, but from what i'm reading, it seems like you can get away with sloppy execution by just killing easier monsters and upgrading your stuff. is that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Getting tail-slapped into a loading screen in old MH was often the thing that ended up keeping you alive. You learned to appreciate it and eventually leverage it to your advantage.