Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

GD_American posted:

Colorado Springs (home of the US Air Force Academy) is ground zero for Evangelicals in the US, and Evangelicals have made it an explicit mission to dominate the college and further, the service.
I lived in Colorado Springs for two years and drove by the Focus on the Family headquarters everyday on the way to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Air Force does have their giant ceremonial anime sword so that’s cool.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Timby posted:

That's ... something special, yeah.

Back in the dark ages, when I managed a small-ish hotel (I think we had 70 rooms?), I witnessed a lot of scamboogery going on: People obviously renting rooms to do drug deals, people who I knew were going to have their credit card declined, people who were clearly on something (which broke my heart, because one of Madison's better rehab clinics was just down the road), stuff like that, but man, some people's kids.

On more than one occasion I was threatened with physical violence because we had a policy of requiring a $100 cash deposit on top of the room charge + tax at check-in. The reason for this is obvious; if someone smokes in or otherwise trashes the room, it needs to be taken out of order for at least a day or two, and that represents potential lost revenue for the hotel, so the (fully refundable upon checkout) deposit protects the hotel in case they don't have a card to charge following room inspection. Had one guy say he had a .44 in the front seat of his car and he'd be watching to see who walked out the front door for the next 30 minutes, which was a little :tinfoil: for me. (I watched him pull away, thank God.)

Of course, that place was weird for other reasons. When I started, the owner also had a policy that the front desk had to visually inspect a room before a cash-paying guest could check out, but I ended that on like my second day of working there, because generally speaking there was only one front-desk clerk working, and in the mornings that FD person was also handling other checkouts, answering the phone and keeping all the breakfast items served; removing that person to go look at a room for 3 - 5 minutes was utter madness. I went to the owner and said he was either letting me spend the $18 to have a second FD clerk on for two hours in the morning shift, or I was removing the inspection policy, because we already had the guest's hundred bucks in cash.

Shot in the dark: is this the hotel over near West Towne, near what used to be the Arby's, on the south side of the beltline?

edit: put some respect on the Towne

Samadhi fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 12, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Samadhi posted:

Shot in the dark: is this the hotel over near West Town near what used to be the Arby's on the south side of the beltline?

No, I believe that's an AmericInn now (although I have heard of some serious poo poo going down there). The place I managed was far on the other side of town and nowhere near the mall.

Although I will say that the Super 8s by East Towne Mall are ... man, those places are scary. I had to get a room for a night once because it was an emergency (long story but given my ex-wife's behavior I did not feel safe at home so I grabbed the emergency go-bag I keep packed for hospital stays and got the gently caress out of the house) and I was able to get to one of those Super 8s. The place smelled of death and despair, as though the breaths of the wretched and the damned were flowing through the ventilation ducts. The water in the bathtub began pouring out brown before clearing up, and there were definitely people turning tricks on the floor I was on.

That was a sleepless night.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Why did the previous owners of my house decide to paint like all the exterior wood? Everything is flaking off and I feel like my summer is going to be spent removing paint from a million square feet of wood.

I have two decks and a pergola all painted brown. One deck I’m probably just replacing because the wood seems in bad shape, and it’s really small. The others I don’t even want to think about right now.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

Why did the previous owners of my house decide to paint like all the exterior wood? Everything is flaking off and I feel like my summer is going to be spent removing paint from a million square feet of wood.

I have two decks and a pergola all painted brown. One deck I’m probably just replacing because the wood seems in bad shape, and it’s really small. The others I don’t even want to think about right now.

my dad would probably paint the wood when it started to rot and then use wood filler when that got bad

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

D-LINK posted:

Americans in general have no idea what actual danger looks like, and their stupid Minuteman fantasies look really foolish to me after walking through Basrah

This is the crux of it for me. White Americans have been the safest, most secure group of people in world history for so long that many of us are dreaming up, if not actively creating, a more dangerous world just so we can feel something again.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think more than being genuinely frightened about foreign terror or MS-13 or whatever in a real, immediate sense, some people just feel a general sense of disempowerment and kind of construct their own narrative framework for why they feel that way and why it’s valid to feel that way.

Maybe when you boil it down, it’s just a matter of the culture and the institutions not explicitly rolling out the red carpet for you to the extent that they used to, if you’re white, or a man, or an evangelical or whatever; but people tend not to be really frank about themselves, even to themselves. So that half-perceived loss of privilege (or at least the prospect of it) maybe manifests itself in peculiar ways.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

General Dog posted:

There are no remains left in F-35s

ftfy

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My mom can't drive, and she and my stepdad had custody of me and my sister during weekends and summers when we were growing up. So we took the bus all over the place in SF as kids, and I got used to a lot of different neighborhoods. These days the city is a lot safer than it was in the early and mid 1980s. There was one neighborhood my mom flat out wouldn't let us go without her (bayview/hunter's point) because in the early 80s there had been incidents of people shooting at the bus a couple of times, but she still went there for work sometimes and we could ride through there if we were with her. The rest of the city was pretty much open for me to wander from the age of around 12 or so.

So I'm just a white boy and I don't want to exaggerate how risky that was, of course. I got hassled once or twice in lovely neighborhoods like the tenderloin or parts of the mission. In my early 20s I used to ride to work at 4am through the mission and that was a bit sketchy sometimes. Civic center had (still does) a big homeless population. I developed a basic sense of how to be safe and carry myself - obviously alert and paying attention, but also relaxed and not staring at anyone, don't cross the street to avoid walking past someone but give them sufficient space, politely decline offers to purchase Bad Things without expressing disapproval, all that kind of thing.

The only time I was ever physically assaulted as a kid was when I was in one of the nicest areas, a few blocks from our house in the Sunset district. Not one of the top rich-people neighborhoods, but absolutely not one of the areas anyone would have called "a rough neighborhood." Some dudes got out of a car and confronted me and one of them punched me in the face and then they left. It doesn't really matter why, the point of my dumb story is: people's perceptions of what's dangerous or not is much more about the visual signifiers that cue them to feel "I am in a place I belong" vs. "I am in a place I don't belong." I had been familiarized from youth with poorer neighborhoods filled with many people who didn't all look exactly like me, shabby environments and random people sleeping on the street: so those places didn't feel dangerous to me.

Whereas one of my wife's co-workers, back she was a part-time secretary at a fancy investment firm, had a daughter who we asked to cat-sit for us one year and she was too frightened of the neighborhood we live in now to ever come back. Why? Because three adult Latino men were hanging out in the driveway two doors down enjoying some cervesas on the Saturday she came by to give it a try the first time. She was a 17 year old girl who I guess had never had friends outside their wealthy gated communities, and to her, the signifier of some nonwhite people sitting around on cheap chairs in an average, not particularly poor or rich suburban street was just way outside her experience. She's a really nice lady, she really didn't come from a racist-steeped background or anything like that, she just had no idea that those dudes are just friendly neighbors and that it's the culture around here to hang around on the porch or the lawn or driveway on your day off, king-of-the-hill style.

It really just boils down to what you're used to: and what middle-class white americans are used to is segregation and wealth disparity. Even the ones who aren't actively being Karens are just not acculturated to the environments that constitute something like 80%+ of america.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

https://twitter.com/AudVisuals/status/1381211541807239171?s=20

the salad dressing is mayo based

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/BullandBaird/status/1381682412904718348?s=20

hahaha definitely on the up and up here, just have to pass a review to get your own money out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

saintonan posted:

hahaha definitely on the up and up here, just have to pass a review to get your own money out.

This is some straight up early Bitcoin poo poo when the main exchange was a Magic The Gathering card store.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

saintonan posted:

Ah gently caress, I put $40,000 into "Ekpe Udoh Blocked Shot, 2013"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Guns are weird. Even now that I own a couple and use them often it still feels a little strange to have access to them.

Everything is locked in a safe, seperate locked compartment for the bolts, ammo stored separately securely etc.

I couldn't imagine carrying one on me or in my vehicle at all times, loaded "just in case".

Couple weeks ago there was a girl in my street who pulled over outside her house in tears and screaming because she was being followed in her car by two guys. I went outside to give her dad some backup in case something kicked off but at no point did it cross my mind to go for my rifle.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Leperflesh posted:

Whereas one of my wife's co-workers, back she was a part-time secretary at a fancy investment firm, had a daughter who we asked to cat-sit for us one year and she was too frightened of the neighborhood we live in now to ever come back. Why? Because three adult Latino men were hanging out in the driveway two doors down enjoying some cervesas on the Saturday she came by to give it a try the first time. She was a 17 year old girl who I guess had never had friends outside their wealthy gated communities, and to her, the signifier of some nonwhite people sitting around on cheap chairs in an average, not particularly poor or rich suburban street was just way outside her experience. She's a really nice lady, she really didn't come from a racist-steeped background or anything like that, she just had no idea that those dudes are just friendly neighbors and that it's the culture around here to hang around on the porch or the lawn or driveway on your day off, king-of-the-hill style.

It really just boils down to what you're used to: and what middle-class white americans are used to is segregation and wealth disparity. Even the ones who aren't actively being Karens are just not acculturated to the environments that constitute something like 80%+ of america.

This part reminds of a story from like 15 years ago. I’m at a friends place for a house party. A girlfriend of a friend had invited one of her friends from the burbs. This girl proceeds to get lost on the west side of Chicago, which is like 95% black.

I get handed the phone to give this girl I don’t know directions, and like her first words are, “I’m don’t know where I am, there’s all these black people around, and I’m scared.” All I could do was laugh at this frightened white girl from the burbs and try to give her the most direct way out of there.

She seemed nice enough, but drat girl, you’re not going to get jumped just for driving through the west side. Luckily, I never saw this person again.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I was once advertising for a roommate (back in 2013), and having an email conversation with one girl who was planning to move to Chicago to finish her Ph.D. at Northwestern. I gave her the exact address, and she got back to me with this:

quote:

Hi there,

Thank you for the information. I checked out the address and don't think this is the location for me. Looks like it's turf for the Latin Kings gang.. If I was a big strong man, then I wouldn't mind!

Have a great year!

:ughh:

The local NPR affiliate posted an interactive map marking out gang territory the year before, I'm guessing she was looking at that. I've been at this address just about 8 years and never seen anything or anyone dangerous or felt unsafe, even with nighttime walks.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

a neat cape posted:

Baseball game vs the Vulcans let's loving go

Death to the opposition

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Stop loving covering poo poo in mayo jfc

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Popcorn isn't salad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That's like the 7 layer "salad" from How I Met Your Mother.

A Big Mess
Apr 13, 2021

by Athanatos
RG3 / A Man and his dog here just to say:

I’m real glad we can just say “oh hey! I meant to grab the taser, but instead grabbed the gun and killed someone. It was an accident!”

Ehud congrats on your baby.

You or Silly Burrito can now ban me.

God save the Queen.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

A Big Mess posted:

RG3 / A Man and his dog here just to say:

I’m real glad we can just say “oh hey! I meant to grab the taser, but instead grabbed the gun and killed someone. It was an accident!”

Ehud congrats on your baby.

You or Silly Burrito can now ban me.

God save the Queen.

Why do you spend your money on this and not artisanal burritos?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
God drat you are a sad little rapist of a person.

Anyway, I only concealed carry when I'm on a hike with my dogs or hunting. When hunting it's open carry because that's legal. I loving hate carrying concealed normally, it feels weird as gently caress and I've never been in a situation where it would help anything. I'm not going to consider the 1 in hundreds of millions shot that some poo poo kicks off and suddenly I could use it. If trails had a "past this point, carrying a firearm is legal" rule I'd never even use the drat thing.

I own a poo poo ton of guns, including a bunch that people say have no purpose except killing. They're dangerous toys that get treated as such.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just remembered this good thread about the proliferation of AR-15s over the last 10-15 years (spoilers: they're for hunting people)-
https://twitter.com/Devilstower/status/1374370822945669121

A Big Mess
Apr 13, 2021

by Athanatos
Before, I go let me just say.

I never loving raped anyone. I was never accused, judged, or any other bullshit.

Some goon, made up a narrative that I did. Jesus.

The fact that you think I did makes you a sad little man.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

God drat you are a sad little rapist of a person.

Anyway, I only concealed carry when I'm on a hike with my dogs or hunting. When hunting it's open carry because that's legal. I loving hate carrying concealed normally, it feels weird as gently caress and I've never been in a situation where it would help anything. I'm not going to consider the 1 in hundreds of millions shot that some poo poo kicks off and suddenly I could use it. If trails had a "past this point, carrying a firearm is legal" rule I'd never even use the drat thing.

I own a poo poo ton of guns, including a bunch that people say have no purpose except killing. They're dangerous toys that get treated as such.

Open carry seems a little sillier to me than concealed, around town or whatever.

I get paranoid when im going to the range and my stuff is in locked cases under a blanket that someone is going to know. I couldnt imagine carrying a gun all day every day. Especially since carrying my 308 bench gun that's like a metre long and weighs like 4kg wouldn't be fun, stuffed down me trousers or otherwise.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

A Big Mess posted:

Before, I go let me just say.

I never loving raped anyone. I was never accused, judged, or any other bullshit.

Some goon, made up a narrative that I did. Jesus.

The fact that you think I did makes you a sad little man.

Not as sad as a date rapist who proves again and again he can't take a loving hint when he isn't wanted, needed, valued or worthwhile!

BlindSite posted:

Open carry seems a little sillier to me than concealed, around town or whatever.

I get paranoid when im going to the range and my stuff is in locked cases under a blanket that someone is going to know. I couldnt imagine carrying a gun all day every day. Especially since carrying my 308 bench gun that's like a metre long and weighs like 4kg wouldn't be fun, stuffed down me trousers or otherwise.

Oh, for sure. But the way the law is here it's legal to open carry when hunting or fishing with various guidelines for transit. I normally carry a large bodied pistol when I'm doing those things, so even if it's concealed it would likely count as open carry.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My wife made plans to go see her grandma in Iowa this summer *yesterday* and we are already getting embroiled in loving Iowa small town family politics

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Spoeank posted:

My wife made plans to go see her grandma in Iowa this summer *yesterday* and we are already getting embroiled in loving Iowa small town family politics

Does it involve corn?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BlindSite posted:

Imagine not having something that's 4kg stuffed in your trousers :smugdog:

Spoeank posted:

Tell em Ames sucks rear end Iowa City owns

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I thought this was another one of those "parody" videos on TikTok or whatever before noticing the Food Network icon on the bottom right

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ah, wonderful.

https://twitter.com/DrRJKavanagh/status/1381786521498497026

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My mom flies home tomorrow. 11 days is way, way too long of a stay and I cannot wait to have my space back.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Just finished Ted Lasso and thoroughly enjoyed it, but then I took a look at everything else they have and... woof. That does not seem like a streaming service long for this world.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Its Rinaldo posted:

Imagine not having something that's 4kg stuffed in your trousers :smugdog:

Tell em Ames sucks rear end Iowa City owns

My father in law is a Hawkeye 😎

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Angels bitch

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Angels bitch

:argh:

(I didn't watch it, it was a good game I assume?) e: Decidedly not from what I can tell looking at the score

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

:argh:

(I didn't watch it, it was a good game I assume?) e: Decidedly not from what I can tell looking at the score

In that Trout hit a home run, Ohtani was 3 of 5 and had 3 RBI, and Pujols had a couple of hits as well.

Also the Angels won, but that's just a bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My girlfriend's parents just informed me they're doing a trip to Hawaii and as long as we can pay our own airfare, we got ourselves a place for a week. I can either blow all the miles I've accumulated on my credit card or do a BOGO with my companion pass. Hell yeah.